Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Probably because it is annoying to see post after post by some of you fucking smooth brained cuntwaffles that just refuse to understand PLAYERS ARE BEING BOUGHT BY FUCKING AGGY. BURN IT INTO YOUR GODDAMN BRAIN. THE REASON WE KNOW WE ARE NOT GETTING STEWART AND HARRIS IS BECAUSE WE KNOW HOW MUCH THEY ARE BEING PAID AND IT IS MORE THAN OUR GUYS WERE WILLING TO OFFER IN RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT ISN'T FUCKING COMPLICATED!!! JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. 
Ahem. Sorry to be harsh but it isn't 'positivity' to pump sunshine and fill pages with wishcasting nonsense about players who we literally know the details of. You wanted to be hopeful about a guy like Neto? Go right fucking ahead. No one knew a damn thing about him. You want to be hopeful about Abor? Again; go right ahead. No one should shit on you for that. Ain't no one had a good read on him consistently throughout this process. Mathews got himself a bag by Aggy but I'm not convinced it will ultimately dictate his decision so you might even be able to have some hope there. But if you continue to make stupid fucking comments about Harris, Stewart or Perkins you deserve to be called a dipshit for doing so. If you think that is harsh so be it; I truly don't give a shit because it has gotten to the point where every time I see that fucking profile pic of yours I just know the comment there within is going to make my brain hurt. 
edit: and yes, at least half my username is EXTREMELY relevant in this particular case. 

Then we should try harder and pony up that crypto… They must want it more and that sucks.

9 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Then we should try harder and pony up that crypto… They must want it more and that sucks.

Tennessee and Ole Miss also wanted it more. 

I have no issue with aggy playing this game but they’re definitely operating in a manner that’s going to bring attention their way. 

Better stay in your lane. 

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

A more balanced class would have been ideal.  WR and LB are kind of WTF right now.  But coming off 5-7 beggars can’t be choosers, and at least the class is better overall than we could have reasonably expected a month ago.

You have no idea who the coaches have lined up in the portal. Nor do you know who will sign in February. Therefore, your data set is incomplete.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Shonen said:

the under the table comes with it's own form of taxes... The uncle tax, the trainer's cut, etc. 

Shave 20% off and he is still doing ok, but will need to spend some dough on a good safe to store his bread because it's not like he can just walk in and deposit a load of cash like that without triggering an AML algorithm. 

It takes some skill to launder that amount of cash.

Having a decently sized NIL situation while in school should make it easier to incorporate any dark monies over time. 

the question is, and I think certain posters are getting at, how many schools have the ability to fund both sides of the table well?

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Irrelevant.  My comment was we’re probably devoting too many scholarships to OL in the same class regardless of portal options.  They’ll process the ones they don’t like in a year or two and it will work itself out, but some of these OL guys (and DL for that matter) will clearly never play.  I don’t think it’s a total crapshoot to identify which ones are higher up on the board, either.  

A more balanced class would have been ideal.  WR and LB are kind of WTF right now.  But coming off 5-7 beggars can’t be choosers, and at least the class is better overall than we could have reasonably expected a month ago.

Wrong wrong wrong, we signed TWO OL last cycle and one of them is a walk-on caliber kid. in 2020, we got a bunch of undersized guys. In 2019, there is only ONE OL left on the team from that class and he just got into a major motorcycle accident. 2018 netted us Christian Jones and I think the others are gone.

Now tell me again...how many OL should we have taken? The guys who are good enough will play early, and the guys who need to develop will play later. We need the bodies either way.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

I am on the hiring committee of my company and I think I just came up with my next weed out Interview question:

”You are on 5* WR recruit.  You can take $350k of illegal funds to play for Jimbo or $500k of legal funds to play for Sark. What do you choose”

is the aggy bag untraceable and delivered up front before the signature?

35 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think we probably are taking too many high school OL recruits this year, but Neto is the 2nd best one we have currently after Banks.   Smart, really athletic, and mean.  Plus he’s 6’4 and carries 285 lbs better than most guys coming out of high school.  That is not the guy you process.  

I would counter that with Texas took 2 last year. 6 this year brings the grand total of 8 OL over the last 2 years, that is hardly overkill on a unit suffering from mediocre play and a lack of depth. While people want immediate results, you have to be careful about getting yourself back to the same situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I would counter that with Texas took 2 last year. 6 this year brings the grand total of 8 OL over the last 2 years, that is hardly overkill on a unit suffering from mediocre play and a lack of depth. While people want immediate results, you have to be careful about getting yourself back to the same situation. 

Yeah the 7 OLs is less a reflection of the current starters, more a reflection of signing 2 OLs last class (really 1 bc Merrill ain't playing).

Also, who do y'all think we passed on at WR or LB because of numbers? No one. Those position coaches just suck D at recruiting and missed on everyone worth taking.

WR recruiting wasn't good this cycle but it's not a position I'm terribly worried about next season if Sark can hit on one good WR in the portal. 

Sark doesn't really like to spread the ball around. He's gonna feed his 2 or 3 best WRs if they're good enough. Worthy and a quality WR 2 and things are cooking at WR. Now can Texas land a quality WR 2 in the portal is the question. 

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I forgot this is the recruiting board where every recruit is a special unicorn and there’s room for 8 guys in a position group to all play from a single class.

I would have taken no more than 6 high school OL, and that includes signing Campbell.  If an immediate impact starter became available in the portal, sign him as well.  Getting upperclassmen portal guys above number 6 would at least space out the OL room by class. 

Go look at Mack’s 2001 OL class, Charlie’s 2016 DL class, etc.  Throwing huge numbers at a position because you’re desperate is fun on signing day when you get to talk about your class of beef, but you’re still just guaranteeing some of your signees will ride pine by default. 

Bruh, it’s always guaranteed that some of your signees will ride pine. Half of these kids will not be major contributors. That’s how it works and that’s why you sign more. And none of the guys we signed are desperation takes. 

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I forgot this is the recruiting board where every recruit is a special unicorn and there’s room for 8 guys in a position group to all play from a single class.

I would have taken no more than 6 high school OL, and that includes signing Campbell.  If an immediate impact starter became available in the portal, sign him as well.  Getting upperclassmen portal guys above number 6 would at least space out the OL room by class. 

Go look at Mack’s 2001 OL class, Charlie’s 2016 DL class, etc.  Throwing huge numbers at a position because you’re desperate is fun on signing day when you get to talk about your class of beef, but you’re still just guaranteeing some of your signees will ride pine by default. 

Do you really not understand how things have materially changed since 2001 and 2016?

The ones who can't contribute will portal or be processed out.

• Hook 'Em 3

Irrelevant.  My comment was we’re probably devoting too many scholarships to OL in the same class regardless of portal options.  They’ll process the ones they don’t like in a year or two and it will work itself out, but some of these OL guys (and DL for that matter) will clearly never play.  I don’t think it’s a total crapshoot to identify which ones are higher up on the board, either.  

The thing about investing in talent on the lines is it has a way of making your receivers and linebackers more productive. The reverse is not true. Texas was simply not in a place to turn down elite, or really even good OL/DL prospects this cycle.
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You can never have too many solid linemen.  Never ever fucking ever.  College football is there for the taking with spare receivers ahoy, DBs who won't sniff the league and RBs you will never hear of again IF time is granted for the offense and taken by the defense.  That all, ALL comes down to the lines.  

i mean, nfl games are also won and lost on the lines

career jabroni Mark Rypien won a dang super bowl because he had one of the greatest OLs ever assembled in front of him

and look how pedestrian Russell Wilson looks with that below average OL

Random note: guys, we had a great recruiting class and the recruiting season isn't even done yet. I swear that some of y'all could bitch about a gift box from La Maison du Chocolat.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea we tend to need those much more than RB right now…..

Seems like they should be plentiful in the portal

But a former HS QB like Red may be well suited for the Whittington role, which means we’ll need him 

Edited by Nope

34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I would have taken 6 OL, and that includes signing Campbell.  If an immediate impact starter became available in the portal, sign him as well. 

Dude, we get it, you don't like it.  It's painful to see you argue something that's wrong.  We have at most 8 this class, 2 last.  That's 10 over 2 classes.  A little more then you might want in an ideal sense but there's not a single commit that isn't a take.  There are no reaches in this class.  Banks and Neto play this year.  Greene and Campbell do if they sign.  Williams might if they don't.  The others might shirt or play.  Either way, you split these between these classes and start building a pipeline.  Next year's in state offensive line class isn't super deep so far.  And yes, you are right, some will likely portal out.  It might be the lowest rated guy, it might be the highest rated.  At the end of the day, we needed great lineman and lots of them.  I feel as good about our room as I have in a while.  

Edited by Acropora
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just my opinion, but the bag game will remain strong for certain schools until the IRS gets involved.

The lure of tax-free money is almost impossible to resist but the government can really fuck up your day.

However, the "uncles" are usually not noted for their tax savvy.

Also, as much as I love CFS, I miss Kate facts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That was also true in 2001 and 2016.  That 2016 DL class was already processed out within a year.   That’s still not a good thing even if we have the portal now.

There was no portal in 2001 or 2016. The fact that the 2016 DL class was processed out with a year is a refutation of your previous point that we took too many OL this year.

It's a numbers game. Sign enough and some are bound to stick. The others move on.  The goal being that each iteration is better than the previous one.

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Those were pre-portal. Good lineman are hard to find in the portal. It's probably smart to over sign the positions that are harder to find and run off the bottom two or three. Rinse and repeat. Basically what Saban has been doing through over signing, medical redshirts, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Btw on LBs - I remember reading a quote from D Brown a while ago that the plan was to start him at edge but move him to inside LB. Also noticed a Choate RT’d only two signing announcements - Trevell and Brown. 

So maybe we should be considering Brown a LB recruit instead of edge. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m fine with 6, but Campbell needs to be one of the 6.  We didn’t need Agbo, or to keep both Hutson and Robertson, unless Campbell is a lost cause.  

I was very pleasantly surprised (is this where you say "gruntled") by the OU-UT battle for Campbell as I thought he was a UT lock.

Is he playing this for drama or is there a real chance UT could blow this?

@golfclap @texifornia @Barbacoa

Edited by quigley

39 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

i mean, nfl games are also won and lost on the lines

career jabroni Mark Rypien won a dang super bowl because he had one of the greatest OLs ever assembled in front of him

and look how pedestrian Russell Wilson looks with that below average OL

Random note: guys, we had a great recruiting class and the recruiting season isn't even done yet. I swear that some of y'all could bitch about a gift box from La Maison du Chocolat.

Who the fuck wants a chocolate brick?

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

WR recruiting wasn't good this cycle but it's not a position I'm terribly worried about next season if Sark can hit on one good WR in the portal. 

Sark doesn't really like to spread the ball around. He's gonna feed his 2 or 3 best WRs if they're good enough. Worthy and a quality WR 2 and things are cooking at WR. Now can Texas land a quality WR 2 in the portal is the question. 

Yeah. We need one really good WR who can be the a legit second target and catch 50-60 balls for 600 yards and a bunch of first downs and the odd TD or two. If you get that guy then whatever Whittington gives you is gravy and you should figure Thompson/Dixon can do some stuff. 
that doesn’t seem impossible to do, but it’s absurdly necessary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. We need one really good WR who can be the a legit second target and catch 50-60 balls for 600 yards and a bunch of first downs and the odd TD or two. If you get that guy then whatever Whittington gives you is gravy and you should figure Thompson/Dixon can do some stuff. 
that doesn’t seem impossible to do, but it’s absurdly necessary. 

You described Theo Wease.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.5188223371c96399eddcf62c3f184887.png

image.thumb.png.ed974173d65110a76983c5299ee24ae5.png

@immamac The spoiler tag icon seems to have disappeared ... any info on that?  Thanks.

I’m starting to think roach might be dumb. If he is signed then he couldn’t be communicating with us unless he signed with us, otherwise he is either unsigned or your UGA intel is bad. 

So hypothetical, with the new rule defined as the only ones punished are those involved.  What does a multi millionaire or billionaire face if they actually get caught paying a player a few hundred thousand dollars?  A case their lawyers can get down to a slap on the wrist?   It’s like aggy knew the rule change was coming today.  Schools evidently have no accountability anymore to these types of things. 

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So hypothetical, with the new rule defined as the only ones punished are those involved.  What does a multi millionaire or billionaire face if they actually get caught paying a player a few hundred thousand dollars?  A case their lawyers can get down to a slap on the wrist?   It’s like aggy knew the rule change was coming today.  Schools evidently have no accountability anymore to these types of things. 

I mean they may have to issue an apology 

• Haha 1

Hudson Standish: Five best schematic fits of the 2022 Texas Longhorns class

As of Friday night during the Early Signing Period the Texas Longhorns have 26 players signed and are ranked as the 5th best class in the nation. I decided to break down who I view as the five best schematic fits for Texas of those 26, with an emphasis on their specific position group and then overall in the Sarkisian program. Also, keep in mind that this list isn’t meant to list the five best players. Kelvin Banks is the best player that Texas signed during the Early Signing Period, but I didn’t add him to this group because he is a prototype left tackle at any campus in the country. These five are in no particular order.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX):
Highlights

As soon as Sark got the job at Texas one of the first names that popped up as a perfect fit for Texas was Spearman speedster Brenen Thompson. Thompson meets the obvious speed requirement for a Steve Sarkisian wide receiver with his consistent sub 10.5 100m times but also checks the boxes when it comes to his physical and mental toughness.

CB Terrance Brooks, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX):
Highlights

Brooks would be a fit for just about any scheme or program across the country, but he makes this list due to his intelligence and length at the cornerback position. If Brooks doesn’t compete at corner immediately, the Little Elm native could slide inside at nickel as well.

OT Cameron Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX):
Highlights

Around ten days ago Eric made the comment that Cameron Williams is the Vitruvian Man for notorious size queen Kyle Flood, and that thought inspired this entire article. There isn’t a prospect that fits a position coaches ethos comparatively than big Cam Williams does for Texas. While the 6-foot-6, 370-pounder might be a fringe take for some schools, there was no doubt that Texas would pursue the big man through the whistle.

EDGE J’Mond Tapp, Donaldsonville (Donaldsonville, LA):
Highlights

The key to the fit for Tapp on the edge is his violence at the point of attack. While the Donaldsonville native isn’t the most polished pass-rusher, he has extremely good feet and is the type of explosive athlete that the Horns need rushing the passer.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain (Klein, TX):
Highlights

Blue got lost in the shuffle in the signing day conversation due to missing out on his senior year of football. However before Blue missed out on the 2021 season the 5-foot-9, 205-pounder put up ridiculous numbers during the 2020 campaign for Klein Cain. During his junior season Blue racked up 2,155 yards for 30 touchdowns in 11 games on 20.5 carries per game. In addition to his ability as a high-workload rusher, Blue is a very capable receiver out of the backfield with multiple verified sub 10.9 100m times.

Joe Cook: At least one good QB was going to sign with Texas. Steve Sarkisian nabbed two.

Looking back on his track record with the quarterback position, it was a safe bet that Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian was going to sign a quality quarterback prospect in Texas’ 2022 class. He sought after two in order to create competition in AJ Milwee’s position group after no current Longhorn signal-caller took firm hold of the position during the 2021 season.

He signed one in Maalik Murphy, one of the earliest commitments he gained while on the job in Austin. Murphy had an up-and-down spring season in California before leading the Junipero Serra Cavaliers to a CIF State 1-A championship in the fall. Murphy was 202-for-321 passing for 2973 yards in 14 games with a 22-to-9 TD-to-INT ratio. He also added six scores on the ground on the way to the state title.

Even with Murphy’s commitment, Sarkisian wanted to add a another quarterback to his roster. Nobody he believed to be worth pursuing was in the transfer portal during the season, nor was there an option in the junior college ranks. He recruited Utah prep prospect and one-time USC commit Devin Brown, but Brown ultimately elected to sign with the Ohio State Buckeyes. Oh, the Buckeyes.

That’s where former Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers enters the picture. Ewers, who enrolled early at Ohio State and stayed with the Buckeyes for the 2021 regular season, put his name in the transfer portal on December 3rd. Sarkisian and Milwee won Ewers’ second recruitment over Texas Tech and announced the addition of the No. 1 player in On3’s 2021 rankings on the first day of the early signing period.

How did these two passers end up at Texas? Both took unique paths to end up in Austin. Both also believed in Sarkisian’s almost two-decade track record in developing signal-callers, from his time at USC to his two years at Alabama.

During his signing day press conference on Wednesday, Sarkisian referenced his experience with the position he calls the most important in the game. He mentioned his time at USC when Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Matt Cassell were under his tutelage. He also referred to his years spent at Alabama with Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones, who he coached during his two years in Tuscaloosa. That track record was used on the recruiting trail with a number of quarterbacks, Murphy and Ewers included.

When asked specifically about the unique recruitment of Ewers, Sarkisian mentioned he re-started conversations similar to those he had with the mullet-ed passer when he was still a high school prospect.

“We just tried to present what the opportunity was here for him and the relationship based and development based process which we’ve done historically,” Sarkisian said Wednesday. “We’ve all got our kind of history of coaching players at a position. I’ve been fortunate to have coached some pretty good quarterbacks in my time that have gone on to have good success not only in college but in the NFL. Clearly, those are some of his aspirations, so I think that worked well for him.”

Ewers’ transfer is a huge get for the Longhorns, who didn’t get what they wanted out of either Casey Thompson or Hudson Card during a 5-7 2021 season. As a result, Sarkisian informed both he would attempt to bring in two quarterbacks during the offseason, with one likely being a transfer. In addition, he mentioned the job would be open. Ewers arrives in January with a good chance to gain experience in Sarkisian’s offense during spring practices and put himself in position to become Texas’ starter ahead of the 2022 season.

Sarkisian tried not to mention one quarterback without talking about the other, but a specific question about Ewers’ ability allowed the Longhorns head coach to speak about what makes the former Buckeye such a special talent, and why he ended up in Austin. “Quinn is a gifted guy who has put in a lot of work in at his craft to get to his point, and hopefully we can do a good job of continuing to develop him to get him to where he wants to go,” Sarkisian said.

Similarly, the pitch of Sarkisian’s expertise and an open competition worked with Murphy, who carried a sterling reputation for his on-field play and off-field demeanor on the West Coast. Sarkisian credited Murphy on Wednesday for sticking with his commitment to Texas even after he pursued other quarterbacks and Ewers’ transfer late in the process. “On the same token, I give a lot of credit to Maalik for being committed for an extended period of time, having a tremendous senior season and winning a state championship, and them him believing in why he chose Texas and him sticking with us,” Sarkisian said.

From the very beginning of his tenure in Austin, Sarkisian sought after highly-rated quarterbacks on the recruiting trail. He landed two, including one of the top rated quarterback prospects in recruiting ranking history, for an open competition to be Texas’ starting quarterback job in the 2022 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

separately, what happens when the irs comes snooping around when a prospect's dad all of a sudden has $300k in cash?  i assume it gets divvied up, but you'd think that would put the family members in a potentially dangerous spot (i don't care about the trainers or "uncles").  i also assume that these schools provide some tax attorneys pro-bono if/when shit hits the fan?

(yes, i realize that in most cases the money does/should go to the player, but at least a few times this cycle it seemed like dads had their hands out)

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Shonen said:

Watch Neto's tape... dude has quick feet and some nasty to him. 

Neto probably has the best shot at starting of all the incoming OL, because he's an EE guy and can play RT, which is a major need. Banks is 2nd because he's the 1st franchise OT Texas has signed since Blalock.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

I was very pleasantly surprised (is this where you say "gruntled") by the OU-UT battle for Campbell as I thought he was a UT lock.

Is he playing this for drama or is there a real chance UT could blow this?

@golfclap @texifornia @Barbacoa

Real chance. He's leaning UT, and he's not dramatic, he's had just enough nagging doubt throughout not to pick a side.

Sounds like his family might be sick of the (external) drama, though, so I doubt there'll be much noise until he just up and signs.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting