Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

32 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

What is our class ranked with Neto in it?

Back to 6, at least from On3

Gerry Hamilton:

Spoiler

Texas dropped from No. 6 to 7 when Kobie McKinzie flipped back to Oklahoma.

Then the Longhorns went right back to No. 6 with the commitment of On300 No. 66 Neto Umeozulu at 11'ish last night.

Texas is a Devon Campbell win away from being on Ohio State's heels for the No. 4 ranked class.

Edited by Viper

15 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Would finishing with Red, Stewart, Campbell, Agbo, Perkins, Harris, and Brooks give us the #1 class in the country?

No.

*If it happened today - yes (would be 309 points).  But it wouldn't last.  Alabama (306 right now) would still have enough leans to pass that class.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This numbers situation is as bonkers as I can ever remember. 

I’ve been following recruiting for a long time and I’ve never seen a final week like this. Even the Charlie Strong final signing day surprises weren’t surprises, just orchestrated announcements. This is literally a game of musical chairs. 

Was thinking about Stewart. With his social media activity, he’s obviously got some savvy. It’s too bad he doesn’t realize the potentially millions he’s putting at risk by going aggy. Even with an average Texas team or better, he will put up Worthy type numbers, get All American recognition, NIL deals, first round money, etc. With Jimbo, he could end up as a bust transfer and third round or worse. Huge potential difference. Could Jimbo finally produce a breakout receiver? Sure, but odds. I know I’m preaching to the choir. 

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Correct. I’ve been trying to find the list but can’t seem to do so.

1992 recruiting class: https://www.texaslsn.org/john-mackovic

Mackovic signs a recruiting class of offensive lineman who earned their moniker the “class of beef.”

Edit: list conflicts with what @Handcruser posts above, defer to that. 

Edited by derpyhorndog

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve been following recruiting for a long time and I’ve never seen a final week like this. Even the Charlie Strong final signing day surprises weren’t surprises, just orchestrated announcements. This is literally a game of musical chairs. 

Was thinking about Stewart. With his social media activity, he’s obviously got some savvy. It’s too bad he doesn’t realize the potentially millions he’s putting at risk by going aggy. Even with an average Texas team or better, he will put up Worthy type numbers, get All American recognition, NIL deals, first round money, etc. With Jimbo, he could end up as a bust transfer and third round or worse. Huge potential difference. Could Jimbo finally produce a breakout receiver? Sure, but odds. I know I’m preaching to the choir. 

maybe he's playing the long game and he transfers here after his freshman year if he gets Demas like numbers. That way he gets the aggy signing bonus and the long term nil of austin

9 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Holy shit. Literally a wet dream class. Neto was reportedly a bit aloof so I'm glad we locked him. Hopefully he's an EE.

I did not think we could do it. Bravo Sir Sark & Flood. You're correct on Neto, lots of talk on if he truly likes football. Dunno but glad to find out, if he doesn't, hopefully he can provide depth while his brother owns the edge for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1992 recruiting class: https://www.texaslsn.org/john-mackovic
Mackovic signs a recruiting class of offensive lineman who earned their moniker the “class of beef.”
Believe it would have included:
  • Jeff Boyd
  • Blake Brockermeyer
  • Alan Luther
  • Turk McDonald
  • Troy Riemer
Edit: conflicts with what [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] posts above, defer to that. 

You may be right. I looked at the roster for FR-HS designations (indicating true freshman) and plucked them out.

Pevoto was a walk on I think.

5 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Hard lesson to learn. Good on our staff. “Regerts” Winfield. Enjoy Baylol

1 minute ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

This is very aggy. Don’t do this. 

yeah. The preferred nomenclature is Bible Aggy or Rapelor if you're into the whole brevity thing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

maybe he's playing the long game and he transfers here after his freshman year if he gets Demas like numbers. That way he gets the aggy signing bonus and the long term nil of austin

as a reminder regarding the A&M offense:

• Evan Stewart is going to an offense that suppresses WR numbers across the board - instead focusing on RB and TE over WR
  • He is going to an offense where most of the WR ahead of him have been there for multiple years (A Smith, Preson, Lane, Chapman)
  • He is going to an offense that already suppresses WR stats as freshmen compared to every other offense in the country
  • He is going to an offense whose starting QB has 1 start under his belt and is coming off a broken leg (in the 1 stat he went 21-33 with 2 TD and 3 INT and had a QBR of 47 against what is currently the #123 DFEI team in the country)

Schitts Creek Good Luck GIF by CBC

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

I'm preparing for us to get Saban'd for Campbell.  His uncle saying he's back to the drawing board doesn't exactly look good for us but then again, we've basically led for him the entire cycle.  Seems odd that he would not go through at this point when things have been better than ever as far as our OL and QB situation.

We seem to be looking good for Agbo and looks like we'll take Red.  Hoping we close with Brooks and that seems to be trending our direction.  We're most likely going to take Ryan Watts from the portal if that works out.  I will believe Harris and Perkins when they sign.  The best thing that could have happened was Elko leaving or Perkins would be at aggy.  We really need elite LBs.  It's a huge glaring hole on this roster.  We have a walkon and a converted safety starting.

I have no idea where WR is going.  Stewart has basically stated all cycle he wants to go to a school where he will know his QB situation.  Calzada just transferred and we have no idea how good or bad King and Weigmann will be.  He's wanted to play with Ewers from the start.  He's a complete wild card.  I can see him flipping but I've followed recruiting long enough to know that when the bag is accepted, they normally never flip.  I just don't see how he's going to pass up living in Austin which will only help his social media following, playing in an offense where WRs EAT, and playing with Ewers.  Aggy literally doesn't offer any of those.  He will make more money with NiL at Texas.  Who ever is running his recruitment is going to fuck him royally.  He may be following the Ewers plan of being on campus for 1 semester to take the bag and then portaling out.  

Regardless, fucking sign up Mims and get a center from the portal and this roster looks way better for next year.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Stewart's obviously well aware of this program's successful courtship of a certain highly compensated skill position transfer. Coming off a year in Jimbo's offense,  the kid might feel he could muster similar fan excitement and another hefty round of payola. 

Savion Red’s success or failure at Texas will be completely blown out of proportion by declaring the coaching staff to be either mental midgets in their inability to build solid relationships in the high school coaching and trainor community, or absolute geniuses for their ability to identify diamonds in the rough that no one but SMU could find. There will be no middle ground or other explanation allowed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

You literally spell "Aggie" "Aggy". So really, how aggy is it to accuse someone for being "aggy" for saying "Baylol" whilst purposefully misspelling "Aggie"? 

Makes you think. 

Fixed. Long night. Would expect nothing less from this crew. 

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

as a reminder:

• Evan Stewart is going to an offense that suppresses WR numbers generally - instead focusing on RB and TE over WR
  • He is going to an offense where most of the WR ahead of him have been there for multiple years (A Smith, Preson, Lane, Chapman)
  • He is going to an offense that already suppresses WR stats as freshmen compared to every other offense in the country
  • He is going to an offense whose QB has 1 start under his belt and is coming off a broken leg (in the 1 stat he went 21-33 with 2 TD and 3 INT and had a QBR of 47 against what is currently the #123 DFEI team in the country)

Schitts Creek Good Luck GIF by CBC

Can we amend this to our Stewart petition?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I hate that shit - necessary and what not - but kid was active on twitter recruiting and seemed to really be invested.

Yeah, agreed - was just about to say this. He seemed pretty tight knit with the class and really bought in to getting others to join. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I hate that shit - necessary and what not - but kid was active on twitter recruiting and seemed to really be invested.

That's part of the game.  It sucks but it is what it is.  It's better the staff tells him now that he won't have much playing time opportunity now so he can find a landing spot versus getting him on campus and not investing time in developing him if they don't think he's good enough to play here.  Shit happens, not sure how his senior tape looked but he may have just sucked it up like the LB from Cali that we processed.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So to recap:

- QB Transfer Quinn Ewers

- QB Maalik Murphy

- RB Jaydon Blue

- WR Brennan Thompson 

- OT Kelvin Banks Jr

- OT Cam Williams

- IOL Neto Umeozula

- IOL Cole Hutson

- IOL Conner Robertson

- DL Jaray Bledsoe

- DL Kris Ross

- DL Aaron Bryant

- DL Zac Swanson

- Edge J’Mond Tapp

- Edge Justice Finkley

- Edge Derrick Brown

- LB Travell Johnson

- DB Bryan Allen Jr

- DB Jaylon Guilbeau

- DB Austin Jordan

- DB Ronald Lewis

- ATH Anthony Jones

- K Will Stone

- DS Lance St.Louis

Still in it for/Rumors about 

- RB Terrance Gibbs

- WR Evan Stewart

- WR Armani Winfield

- WR Shazz Preston

- WR Jordan Hudson

- IOL Devon Campbell

- IOL Malik Agbo

- LB Harold Perkins

- LB T.J Dudley

- DB Denver Harris

- DB Terrance Brooks

- DB Jacoby Matthews 

- DB Larry Turner-Gooden

- DB Xavion Brice

- ATH Savion Red

- ATH Kendrick Law

Thanks! This should be at the top of every page on this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Any others you think might get processed out?  I know you assholes have been trying to get that Swanson kid out of the class since he committed - did the Senior hudl abate any of those feelings?  

Given these modern times call for modern measures, who's going to pen the petition?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

You literally spell "Aggie" "Aggy". So really, how aggy is it to accuse someone for being "aggy" for saying "Baylol" whilst purposefully misspelling "Aggie"? 

Makes you think. 

You may have a fair point. I would submit that aggy is funny, while Baylol is not and I’ve only seen that from friends/coworkers that are Texag posters. They have a weird need to name a lot of teams. none are good. Tceh, purple Baylol for TCU. At least in the text exchanges I’ve seen. 

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Given these modern times call for modern measures, who's going to pen the petition?

With NIL and the transfer portal it’s difficult to feel have empathy when this occurs. It’s what Bama and the big boys have been doing last 11 years while we looked on with envy. Bout time we joined the party. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting