Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He's liking tweets. If you get trolled by that, that's on you

6 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Stewart makes a living off social media traffic. He’ll take all he can get.

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He is trolling right now. Let him go spend his money on a fabulous townhome overlooking the kroger parking lot.

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

These kids all know each other and are happy for each other when they commit. Stop looking at whose shit they're liking, it means nothing. 

6 hours ago, mvlonghorns said:

Yeah Stewart ain't coming here, stop worrying about him.

Well, not with that attitude.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This poster reasonably tries to piece together that weird Nahlin post.

image.thumb.png.01823826091dfda496bb56e515ec4a49.png

Come on, dude. Will you and the rest of the idiots stop giving what Nahlin typed any credit, please? That post of his shows all of his worst behaviors - drunk posting, condescending, cryptic, and wishcasting. 

If Texas lands Harris, it’s because of a last minute major step up, not because of some long game wizardry that only Nahlin saw coming. Same is true for Perkins and Stewart. Assume none of that shit is happening and if a miracle occurs, it won’t be because that was always the case and Nahlin had it the whole way. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Come on, dude. Will you and the rest of the idiots stop giving what Nahlin typed any credit, please? That post of his shows all of his worst behaviors - drunk posting, condescending, cryptic, and wishcasting. 

If Texas lands Harris, it’s because of a last minute major step up, not because of some long game wizardry that only Nahlin saw coming. Same is true for Perkins and Stewart. Assume none of that shit is happening and if a miracle occurs, it won’t be because that was always the case and Nahlin had it the whole way. 

I always assume the worst until proven otherwise in recruiting. 

BobbyBurton

With the pledges of Quinn Ewers, Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams in the last 48 hours, what was once a good recruiting class, especially considering the Horns’ 5-7 season, has all of a sudden turned into something much more.

Texas earned the commitments of its likely future starting quarterback and left tackle in just two days’ time. And, in Williams, Texas won the recruitment of the biggest player the Horns will have inked since Leonard Davis.

Yet the Horns aren’t done.

Another five star pledge could well be on the horizon, too. Offensive lineman Devon Campbell of Arlington Bowie is expected to make his decision known this week.

With the pledges of Banks and Williams, and the likelihood of Campbell and Malik Agbo of Washington, who is slated to announce at 4pm on Wednesday, joining the Texas recruiting class, it would give the Horns six offensive line commitments.

In other words, the outcome of the offensive line class, once murky a week ago, is coming into full focus.

And it’s a pretty picture.

Texas stuck to its guns and was never forced to dropp down a talent-level rung. All of these OL commitments are ones the Horns targeted from the outset.

Texas OL coach Kyle Flood deserves a tremendous amount of credit here.

There were times in the last month that the prospect for an elite OL class looked tenuous at best. But Flood developed lasting relationships with the recruits, not short-term ones. Ultimately, the relationship-building of Flood is helping rebuild the Texas offensive line in spectacular fashion.

Given the relative clarity of the OL recruiting class, it’s now the secondary where Texas fans should turn much of their attention in the next couple of days.

The storylines are big.

Can Texas flip either Terrance Brooks of Little Elm from Ohio State or Bryce Anderson from Texas A&M? Is five star Louisiana safety Jacoby Matthews really a possibility to join this class, picking Texas over Alabama, LSU and A&M? And what about Denver Harris, is he still a real possibility after making his weekend official visit? All four of those players are among the best in the country.

And where do Xavion Brice, the OU commit from Arlington Seguin who visited Austin this weekend, and Larry Turner-Gooden out of California fit into the equation? Brice says he is announcing his decision on Wednesday while Turner-Gooden is waiting until the All-American game.

How Texas finishes with these elite prospects can help reshape the secondary no differently than what Kyle Flood has done with his offensive line.

And like Flood, it will be the long-term and consistent relationship building of the two secondary coaches, Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon, which would help make it happen.

We’re just 48 hours away from seeing exactly how this recruiting class shakes out. Exciting times are ahead.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

BobbyBurton

With the pledges of Quinn Ewers, Kelvin Banks and Cam Williams in the last 48 hours, what was once a good recruiting class, especially considering the Horns’ 5-7 season, has all of a sudden turned into something much more.

Texas earned the commitments of its likely future starting quarterback and left tackle in just two days’ time. And, in Williams, Texas won the recruitment of the biggest player the Horns will have inked since Leonard Davis.

Yet the Horns aren’t done.

Another five star pledge could well be on the horizon, too. Offensive lineman Devon Campbell of Arlington Bowie is expected to make his decision known this week.

With the pledges of Banks and Williams, and the likelihood of Campbell and Malik Agbo of Washington, who is slated to announce at 4pm on Wednesday, joining the Texas recruiting class, it would give the Horns six offensive line commitments.

In other words, the outcome of the offensive line class, once murky a week ago, is coming into full focus.

Texas stuck to its guns and was never forced to dropp down a talent-level rung. All of these OL commitments are ones the Horns targeted from the outset.

There were times in the last month that the prospect for an elite OL class looked tenuous at best. But Flood developed lasting relationships with the recruits, not short-term ones. Ultimately, the relationship-building of Flood is helping rebuild the Texas offensive line in spectacular fashion.

Given the relative clarity of the OL recruiting class, it’s now the secondary where Texas fans should turn much of their attention in the next couple of days.

The storylines are big.

Can Texas flip either Terrance Brooks of Little Elm from Ohio State or Bryce Anderson from Texas A&M? Is five star Louisiana safety Jacoby Matthews really a possibility to join this class, picking Texas over Alabama, LSU and A&M? And what about Denver Harris, is he still a real possibility after making his weekend official visit? All four of those players are among the best in the country.

And where do Xavion Brice, the OU commit from Arlington Seguin who visited Austin this weekend, and Larry Turner-Gooden out of California fit into the equation? Brice says he is announcing his decision on Wednesday while Turner-Gooden is waiting until the All-American game.

How Texas finishes with these elite prospects can help reshape the secondary no differently than what Kyle Flood has done with his offensive line.

And like Flood, it will be the long-term and consistent relationship building of the two secondary coaches, Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon, which would help make it happen.

We’re just 48 hours away from seeing exactly how this recruiting class shakes out. Exciting times are ahead.

That’s great and all but the NIL deal saved this coaching staffs ass with regards to recruiting. It’s no coincidence that within a week of HwH being announced that Texas looks to clean up on the OL while still lagging behind at WR and DB. Nonetheless, great job to all those here who spearheaded the NIL deals. You’re the heroes we deserve. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

I think that is revisionist history. We put together an NIL deal that was very sweet. Meanwhile, Oregon lost its coach.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Gibbs might have permanent nerve damage. Not sure that happens. 

Williams and Ewers today. Campbell, Red, Brice and Agbo this week. Maybe a safety surprise. Maybe Brooks wakes up and realizes Coombs is gone. Maybe Texas pulls a miracle off and Matthews comes our way. 

They must have a WR or two in the portal. 

I’ve written Anderson, Harris and Stewart off a while ago and have heard no reason to change my thinking now. 

Gonna a be a top 5 class. Could finish barely above Georgia if they close almost all of the guys I mentioned. 

If there's still nerve damage over a year out from injury, then it's permanent. Really unfortunate for the kid, but hard pass.

49 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think that is revisionist history. We put together an NIL deal that was very sweet. Meanwhile, Oregon lost its coach.

If Bobby doesn't want to take credit for HwH and his part in making the Pancake Factory happen, and wants to give credit to Flood instead, that's his prerogative. 

But, it's a bit of an overstep to try to call out Bobby, of all people, on not giving NIL enough credit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

"We"?

Banks and Williams have been rumored flip candidates for months. Long before NIL or or coaching changes.

Campbell has been a Texas lean the whole process.  Has NIL helped?  Yes.  Did the coaching change probably help? Yes.

But Flood is well regarded as both a coach and a recruiter.  There is nothing wrong with giving him some credit for sticking to his targets and working the recruitment.  If he had cut bait back in the summer/fall as some suggested on here neither would be coming to Texas now. 

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

That’s great and all but the NIL deal saved this coaching staffs ass with regards to recruiting. 

Yes, by leveling the playing field. It's hard to compete against Aggie bagmen who are willing to drip a shit ton of money on a recruit when you're not able to do so.  Sark and Co. were recruiting with one hand tied behind their backs.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Davis Lane said:

Even after this weekend's recruiting good news my body is ready for more.

When is the next Quinnicopia of recruits, Wednesday?

If we're lucky maybe sooner?

Should be at least one good one today. 

Ewers? Check. Williams? Check. 

Agbo and Brice are Wednesday. I’ve not heard anyone be declarative about Brice, but his own comments don’t scream excitement about being a sooner.

Campbell? Today, perhaps. Red? Does Sarkisian think he can compete on an eventually elite roster? 

Unless I’m missing something, anything else would be a surprise. I guess Gibbs is another question mark based on what the staff would like to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

"We"?

Banks and Williams have been rumored flip candidates for months. Long before NIL or or coaching changes.

Campbell has been a Texas lean the whole process.  Has NIL helped?  Yes.  Did the coaching change probably help? Yes.

But Flood is well regarded as both a coach and a recruiter.  There is nothing wrong with giving him some credit for sticking to his targets and working the recruitment.  If he had cut bait back in the summer/fall as some suggested on here neither would be coming to Texas now. 

Sure, but without NIL and especially coaching turnover, it's most likely yet another "close but no cigar" ending for both Banks and Williams.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

C’mon, Dad. You NEVER let us have any fun… 

• Haha 1

I understand why Nahlin is having trouble letting Harris go. The kid keeps hesitating to close the door on us. I just think some of these kids and their families are saying take the money and figure the rest out later. The Quinn Ewers model. They were more than open to us, but it seemed clear to me we would need to be competitive. That didnt happen. Maybe the excitement has introduced a new NIL offer for him, thats the only thing I can think of, but I think I wouldve heard about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I understand why Nahlin is having trouble letting Harris go. The kid keeps hesitating to close the door on us. I just think some of these kids and their families are saying take the money and figure the rest out later. The Quinn Ewers model. They were more than open to us, but it seemed clear to me we would need to be competitive. That didnt happen. Maybe the excitement has introduced a new NIL offer for him, thats the only thing I can think of, but I think I wouldve heard about it. 

I’ll ask again. Why did we not match?

20 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Sure, but without NIL and especially coaching turnover, it's most likely yet another "close but no cigar" ending for both Banks and Williams.  

True. But Flood did his job.  NIL/bags were out of his hand.  He kept at it and got it done rather than throwing his hands up and moving on to a project.  He rightfully deserves credit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Yes, by leveling the playing field. It's hard to compete against Aggie bagmen who are willing to drip a shit ton of money on a recruit when you're not able to do so.  Sark and Co. were recruiting with one hand tied behind their backs.

If these kids were smart, they'd take aggy bag money and then commit to UT for the NIL money.

transam.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Because Texas notoriously doesn't drop bags from my understanding. Now there is legal ways to entice recruits, why not exploit that avenue.

For fuck sakes with the semantics. Why did we not match with legal ways to entice recruits. 

barbacoa has indicated a inside knowledge of this recruitment and said he was ours if we matched. Why not is the question 

6 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

I’ll ask again. Why did we not match?

Barbacoa has mentioned this before - but the money wasn't there.  Any excitement there might have been with the people needed to make those sorts of payments was extinguished by 5-7.  

Recent NIL activities are providing new avenues - but it still requires time & effort to set up that infrastructure and then convince those people to write checks.

1 minute ago, mantis toboggan said:

For fuck sakes with the semantics. Why did we not match with legal ways to entice recruits. 

barbacoa has indicated a inside knowledge of this recruitment and said he was ours if we matched. Why not is the question 

My man, you’re about to bring hell fire upon yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Barbacoa has mentioned this before - but the money wasn't there.  Any excitement there might have been with the people needed to make those sorts of payments was extinguished by 5-7.  

Recent NIL activities are providing new avenues - but it still requires time & effort to set up that infrastructure and then convince those people to write checks.

At least for the next 2-3 years it will come down to cash in hand vs promise. 

Just now, mantis toboggan said:

We are still very early into building out funds for each position. I'd assume this time next year there will be a DB specific fund in the open. 

• Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting