Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Gerry Hamilton

On3 Consensus 4-star WR Armani Winfield (Lewisville, Texas) is back in play for the Texas Longhorns. A source in DFW informed me that Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has been in contact with people in the Winfield circle this morning.

The next round of conversations between Sarkisian and Winfield, and family will be the key.

The former Texas commit made an official visit to Baylor last weekend. Prior to Texas coming back into the picture, this was a Baylor vs. Michigan State battle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton

On3 Consensus 4-star WR Armani Winfield (Lewisville, Texas) is back in play for the Texas Longhorns. A source in DFW informed me that Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has been in contact with people in the Winfield circle this morning.

The next round of conversations between Sarkisian and Winfield, and family will be the key.

The former Texas commit made an official visit to Baylor last weekend. Prior to Texas coming back into the picture, this was a Baylor vs. Michigan State battle.

Still a take.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton

thanos-meme.gif

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is what I have been mentioning about the composite rankings. They merely measure talent. They do not measure any distribution. You can have 10 5 star RBs and have the top rated class in the country. 

Exactly. Which is the whole thing about "chasing stars"... sure it looks good to have the "highly ranked" class, but it doesnt mean shit or amount to anything. And specifically in our case, we have felt that.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wonder if On3's will have something to try and measure that.

I am surprised they havent done something on it. Positional talent grades. It would be so much more useful to understand the composition of a team. Kind of like giving out the Charlie Weis award for having 80% of your blue chips on offense and bread on defense. You can go down the rabbit hole and throw an adjustment for age. Figure out how to do that is pretty difficult, but there is a significant difference between a true freshman 5 star OT and a junior. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I am surprised they havent done something on it. Positional talent grades. It would be so much more useful to understand the composition of a team. Kind of like giving out the Charlie Weis award for having 80% of your blue chips on offense and bread on defense. You can go down the rabbit hole and throw an adjustment for age. Figure out how to do that is pretty difficult, but there is a significant difference between a true freshman 5 star OT and a junior. 

It's still early in the process for their database/system. I think they have a 1-2 year plan reading something a while back to fully roll out everything.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

You can't, they are still in high school, that is why QE graduated early and went to Ohio State.

Isn't that just a UIL (Texas) thing? Or is that how HS entities across the country are doing it also? I remember it that Quinn got the NIL offer and was set to start collecting it while playing his senior season for Carroll but the UIL said he couldn't do that, so he left for Columbus.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

excuse me sir, this is now known as the Lincoln Riley award.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We needed help this year with the steamy turd we laid on the field in year 1. We got just about every break would could possibly get, and we needed all of them to land some of the elite guys that we have so far. Next year, if we show big improvement, then the train will have left the station and we can recruit on our own merits again. I do expect that we will have a pretty big improvement just by getting the right guys on the field to pair with Bijan and X, and being able to stop some people more regularly than we did. 

I haven't denied any of that....But that doesn't mean Flood doesn't deserve credit for doing what he could to recruit those guys.  I didn't say all of the credit, but at the same time NIL/coaching changes aren't soley the reason they are coming to Texas.  

I'll put it this way. If Derick Warehime or Herb Hand were still our Oline coach----none of these guys would be coming to Texas right now NIL or no NIL.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm confused at WR, LB, and CB recruiting but a lot to play out over the next 48-72 hours.

WR and LB headscratchers for sure (other than Brenen T).

CB meh. We went hard after Harris and Brooks but Harris got bought and Brooks chose a coach that's put a ton of CBs in the NFL. Not that crazy. Austin Jordan was a good pickup, Guilbeau may work out. Idk anything about Lewis.

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Different sport, but I was talking to a cousin of mine whose uncle was fired as a scout from the Astros (now with the Diamondbacks) who told me that the Astros don't have scouts anymore and strictly use analytics. It seems dumb to me, but interesting none-the -less. I could see using a computer to determine hit rates of 5 stars vs. 4 stars vs 3 stars vs 2 stars and then using that multiplier at each position group to rate teams on talent. Talent to record would be a pretty interesting comparison if proper analytics were used. Huck or whoever does the stats on this site could probably sell the data to administrators if it was robust.

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This just reeks of July 4 Kelvin Banks. Duds has a too crazy an ego to be a recruiting guy

Hey the man said Banks was comitting and signing Wed when 99% of people on here and elsewhere said at best he was releasing a top 3 and Sark was dumb to use his in home......He got brutalized for the summer predictions...but at the moment I am willing to let it ride.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I'll be surprised if Coleman isnt replaced after NSD1. 

Who we replacing him with and does that upset Worthy or Thompson would be my only concern. I know Hankton could be in play I listened to a UGA podcast and they are unhappy with him for not bringing in a WR like Devonta Smith or Metchie

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Isn't that just a UIL (Texas) thing? Or is that how HS entities across the country are doing it also? I remember it that Quinn got the NIL offer and was set to start collecting it while playing his senior season for Carroll but the UIL said he couldn't do that, so he left for Columbus.

Pretty sure he is free to pursue any NIL deal he wants as long as he isn't in UIL sanctions sports but who is going to offer him a deal when they don't know where he intends to go. QE was a big enough deal to land NIL no matter where he decided to go. Arch Manning will have the same advantages. Most of these NIL deals will be region specific centered around Businesses owned or ran by former grads of the school that he intends to go to. If he had an agent/rep like QE did/does I'm sure those options can be explored.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Stewart and Ewers are long time work out buddies. Chemistry is already there, and Ewers will be leading a high powered offense with a pre-season heisman candidate and an all american soph wr opposite him. it's an easy sell.

Our only hope there is that Worthy has told Evan how much he's made this year and that it significantly outweighs what Aggy is offering

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Different sport, but I was talking to a cousin of mine whose uncle was fired as a scout from the Astros (now with the Diamondbacks) who told me that the Astros don't have scouts anymore and strictly use analytics. It seems dumb to me, but interesting none-the -less. I could see using a computer to determine hit rates of 5 stars vs. 4 stars vs 3 stars vs 2 stars and then using that multiplier at each position group to rate teams on talent. Talent to record would be a pretty interesting comparison if proper analytics were used. Huck or whoever does the stats on this site could probably sell the data to administrators if it was robust.

Met one while on a project in Asheville NC. This sounds correct. Guy told me he had little to no background in Baseball and told me anyone can be hired by the Astros, they post all their jobs on the internet. If you have the skill they are looking for, they will hire you. Then again, he told me Verlander would never pitch for the Astros again, this was about 5 months ago. He got that wrong because they signed him to a 1 year deal. I'm guessing his rehab went really, really well.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting