Dennis Miller has a new show!

RPM

44 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Loved his HBO show and his monologue when he segued into his rant at the end of it. 

I was a huge fan of that show.

I always thought of Dennis Miller as more libertarian than right wing, but maybe he just went for the political laugh however he could get it, and I honestly haven't followed him since his HBO show.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo

I still love the kooky bastard.  He's just a man with no country.  As stated above, he was always more Libertarian...a pithy and hilarious version of John Stossel.  He rode that about as far as he could (he was always niche going back to SNL).  Oscillated between HBO and MSNBC, then had to truly pivot to the right.  But after a couple of years, those folks decided that they sorta agreed with him, and sorta got some of his jokes...but he was just too much work to follow.  They gravitate towards Crowder, Larry the Cable Guy, et. al.  

There's a reason there's no right wing news program with a comedic tendency.  The format doesn't work.  Miller is proof of that, but I'll always like his standup and his insights.  I suspect deep down inside, his scathing insight into the modern Trumper would be hilarious...but we'll probably never get to hear it.  Bummer.

Does he really need the money that badly to work for RT?  If he wants to broadcast a show, there are plenty of platforms that are free. Obviously, he would have to shell out the production costs until he could get sponsors onboard.  I imagine the writing costs are relatively high to have a team write a nightly show in his voice.

I found Miller to be entertaining at times but he became too much of a caricature of himself.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is John Oliver. I like some show subjects but you can see his show has become a Mad Libs production.  The comedic analogies and outrage are at the same exact spots each episode.

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i used to think this dude was funny back when i was more right leaning. since the right, and he with them, have gone batshit chewing the furniture fucking crazy, i just find him kind of sad. from snl and mnf to rt. ugh.

I saw him at the Woodlands pavilion back in the day. Miller was the main draw to me, but most patrons seemed to be there for Howie Mandel later in the show. 

Never would have guessed Dennis would one day be less funny than the jackass who inflated surgical gloves on his head. Well done, Chachi.

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i used to think this dude was funny back when i was more right leaning. since the right, and he with them, have gone batshit chewing the furniture fucking crazy, i just find him kind of sad. from snl and mnf to rt. ugh.

I didn't know what his politics were on SNL or beyond. I found him tiresome after a while. Then he popped up on FOX and was clearly going for the money.

A great writer for Atlantic, Fallows?, wrote a piece years ago about how the right wing think tanks were spending gobs of money to attract non-rightist writers and opinion leaders into their fold. Fallows (if it was him) said the money was huge and attractive, but he declined.

I've wondered since then who has been bought. I suspect Miller is one. Charles Krauthammer is someone else I suspect of taking money to bend some of his views.  I even wondered if the brilliant Chris Hitchens may have dipped his hand in the trough when he went on a jihad against the Clintons and kept defending the Iraq invasion and occupation. Hitchens certainly didn't remain in their pocket if he was ever there.

Miller is a hack now. He fucked around and he found out. Whether his intellect is psuedo or genuine, it comes across as elitist to the rabble following FOX and wearing red hats. He's also a despicable whore if he says a word to prop up Putin.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Does he really need the money that badly to work for RT?  If he wants to broadcast a show, there are plenty of platforms that are free. Obviously, he would have to shell out the production costs until he could get sponsors onboard.  I imagine the writing costs are relatively high to have a team write a nightly show in his voice.

I found Miller to be entertaining at times but he became too much of a caricature of himself.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is John Oliver. I like some show subjects but you can see his show has become a Mad Libs production.  The comedic analogies and outrage are at the same exact spots each episode.

I am a journalist, and I don't think any amount of money could sway me to do a goddamn thing for RT. Their approach here is the same as Putin's -- they really do give equal time to every point of view -- so that exactly none of them seem valid. Just check out the USA coverage on their website. It's headspinning. 

Larry King wound up there too. Bad bets at the race track don't pay themselves. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's an interesting observation about John Oliver. The last few shows that I've watched, I've strongly felt he is going too fast trying to get everything he can into the story, but now I think the problem may be the template you describe. Some of the stories don't need a meth-level race through asides that are difficult to even pick up in real time.

Oddly enough, I've also thought that they say fuck and fucking too much. I'm not offended by the words, but they do lose impact and keep you from finding better descriptors. It's sort of like the impact of amazing, incredible, and awesome on everyday language.

The diminishment of language was one of Big Brother's goals in 1984. Like the other bad things in that novel, we will self-inflict it.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Oddly enough, I've also thought that they say fuck and fucking too much. I'm not offended by the words, but they do lose impact and keep you from finding better descriptors. It's sort of like the impact of amazing, incredible, and awesome on everyday language.

The diminishment of language was one of Big Brother's goals in 1984. Like the other bad things in that novel, we will self-inflict it.

Like Larry David told Crazy eyed killa, you only need 1 fuck. Drop the 2nd fuck.

• Haha 2

I thought he was funny a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I suspect his attempts to justify his fear-based political opinions are at war with his incisive bullshit meter, because he used to have a good one, but he would undoubtedly hiri kiri at the first sign of self-awareness these days. He's too smart to believe what he believes, and I suspect that deep down, he knows it, and despises himself for it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There are YouTubers who are flying solo and putting together shows that look professional produced, even though it's them with a $200 camera, a $50 microphone, a $1,200 MacBook, iMovie (you'd be surprised, it's perfect for plenty of YouTubers) or Final Cut Pro, and an appropriately decorated wall or a couple of bookshelves behind them.  If they are doing interviews, they can easily incorporate FaceTime or Zoom or whatever into their workflow.  And they are raking in tens of thousands a month.

Miller could absolutely hire somebody at a fairly cheap price to get this stuff together for him, or he could film it himself, and then pay somebody to edit things together if he didn't feel comfortable editing video - quite a few YouTubers also rely on editing services that cater specifically to the YouTube crowd.  

But Miller is probably old-school that prefers to have a bunch of people fawning over him, doing his makeup, telling him how good he looks or sounds, etc.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fucking whore. Comedians who do impressions of Dennis Miller are funnier than Dennis Miller. He peaked a long time ago. 

Of course that's just your opinion. You could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I thought he was funny a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I suspect his attempts to justify his fear-based political opinions are at war with his incisive bullshit meter, because he used to have a good one, but he would undoubtedly hiri kiri at the first sign of self-awareness these days. He's too smart to believe what he believes, and I suspect that deep down, he knows it, and despises himself for it.

He peaked in the late 80s, early 90s and since then its been a surprisingly rapid and steep decline. By 2000 he wasn’t funny anymore but still made some dough in gigs living off the past and apparently now he’s broke.

I loved his HBO show and even bought some of his comedy stand up CDs for when I did a lot of work travel. I remember laughing out loud. Some of his shit was so obscure, I had to hit the dictionary or Ask Jeeves to get it. I tried to like him on MNF but his shtick didn't work there and he couldn't adjust. He could never adjust. He seems like a stubborn dick and that trait bit him on the ass. RT....wow. He is as big a whore as Larry King.