CWS Game 12: Texas vs. Mississippi State 6:55 CDT First Pitch

sidis

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I see a lot of bitching about taking strikes.  That is our game.  It is especially important tonight, because we need to get into their bullpen early.  Best case scenario for us is to pile up pitch count early against their starter.  That requires lots of two strike counts and laying off pitches just out of the zone.  Walks are what drive up pitch count.  You have to live with some caught lookings, especially with these terrible umps.  If the guy is hitting his spots again, then you have to tip your cap.

Yes and no. Working the count is great for getting starting pitchers out of the game, but once he's chased, the players should be more aggressive. That means not staring at grooved fastballs for strike 2, and defending the corners to avoid strike 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

if true this is going to get ugly.  If we have to play it is going to be a real problem for NCAA.

Going to get?

It's already ugly.

But what's new for the NCAA.  Biggest POS organization this side of....uh...yeah, I ain't gonna CR this shit.  Psych!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Going to get?

It's already ugly.

But what's new for the NCAA.  Biggest POS organization this side of....uh...yeah, I ain't gonna CR this shit.  Psych!

agreed.  its probably bullshit anyway.

Just now, TexArcher said:

I really hope (and strongly suspect) that MSU Covid story is bullshit.  We're going to win tonight then we're going to beat Vandy and I don't want to hear any bullshit about asterisks.

well if we both get asterisked through does it mean winner is double asterisked?

51 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Ha. I got stuck yesterday in a 30 minute conversation that you would have really enjoyed. Friend of mine and his girlfriend are sailing the boat from here to the Keys, Bahamas, Cuba, and then on down to Panama where they are moving. About every 5 minutes I was thinking this sounds great but when can we talk about the fishing?

My sailboat will be outfitted for fishing not marlin and shit but we will be pulling the sea’s bounty out regularly for dinner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Is this complete bullshit?

image.thumb.png.a130b05bfdf3c92b3646e9730f2e5afa.png

Seems like a troll job. 

I do like "is the NCAA scared that we'll beat Texas?" right after losing to Texas. 

Edited by ztejas

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I see a lot of bitching about taking strikes.  That is our game.  It is especially important tonight, because we need to get into their bullpen early.  Best case scenario for us is to pile up pitch count early against their starter.  That requires lots of two strike counts and laying off pitches just out of the zone.  Walks are what drive up pitch count.  You have to live with some caught lookings, especially with these terrible umps.  If the guy is hitting his spots again, then you have to tip your cap.

Now what I am NOT looking forward to is all those crowd shots of squashed-face mississippians.

It’s what we do. And it’s a 9 inning game. Always take the fat lead but with the advantage in pitching and defense it’s clear the strategy is a 9 inning game here the wheels fall off for the other team later in the game, later in the series. It’s worked, frankly it’s been a Texas approach for decades. Gus was a first pitch take as a general rule. Augie did it, pierce does it. In the CWS it’s critical to get pitch counts up and while it does provide high drama it also results in wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

It’s what we do. And it’s a 9 inning game. Always take the fat lead but with the advantage in pitching and defense it’s clear the strategy is a 9 inning game here the wheels fall off for the other team later in the game, later in the series. It’s worked, frankly it’s been a Texas approach for decades. Gus was a first pitch take as a general rule. Augie did it, pierce does it. In the CWS it’s critical to get pitch counts up and while it does provide high drama it also results in wins. 

When Witt came into the game, first two msu hitters swung at the first pitch.  When Nixon came in, first hitter swung at the first pitch. 

I think their approach is that you will likely see a first pitch fastball from a new reliever so jump on it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Rewatching the game and we're at the part where MSU dude thought he was hit by the pitch but wasn't.  

These fucking announcers.

I'd have more respect for them if they'd just come out and say, "Hey, we're all against Texas.  We don't want to watch another dog pile".  What a bunch of yuk monkeys.

the first replay clearly showed air between the ball and the underside of his arm.  crystal.

but the yakkers went on for 2 minutes about how the play "sounded" different.

and because the hitter dropped his stuff so quickly and started walking, that of course *GUAR-AN-TEED* he knew he was hit.

how the fuck do you hear a player get grazed by a ball, even though he didn't, how would that make any sound different when the ball hits the mitt, which it obviously did.

klan aggy does have a few decent wimmenz, so we get to see a little more of that tonight.

have we ever sent pom or cheer to omaha?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, msudawg said:

Yea.. I was buzzed and pissed about the game. And forgot where I was since I've been on this site for so long. I was in the wrong.

Look IF I said Fuck (your school) (as an example) I would get neg banned likely and fairly so. Are you really complaining you got one neg from me?
I don't complain about anyone negging me over stupid stuff.

Either way. Gents have a good day. I'm out till after the game. I'll come back tomorrow and say good season if we win or good luck fuck vandy if we lose.

#HailState

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Shotgunning is really hard

Great!  So we are all in agreement to try to not be fucking pussies going forward.  

This is surly for God’s sake

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It was a long-ass game, so here are some long-ass highlights:

Takeaways:

when we get to the back half of a pitching staff whether in a series or in a game our bats do very well.  This team is very capable of a 10 spot against just about anyone in this case

that only comes from patience, the kids were very patient last night and it paid off

antico is on fire

cam and Zubia drew multiple walks in addition to zubia bringing the bat

While their pitching drops off, ours doesn’t. The Texas formula. 

Great game, I feel confident about tonight, baseball is a cruel sport someone will feel it tonite let’s hope it’s them

go horns 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not to go all aggy here, but in my mind tonight is the Championship.  Just my very humble opinion.

Like I said, just in my mind, no banners or parades.  So, not aggy.

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

That Ivan bomb will ring for a long, long time win or lose tonight.

What a moment in time.

Win or lose?  Fuck that, we're gonna win tonight.  And the next 2 too!  Hook 'Em!!!

Edited by Hairy Biped
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some good news, weather this evening in Omaha looks perfect for baseball.  75 degrees, partly cloudy, 10-15mph winds from the North. 

Unless somebody smeared covaids in the dugout and they gotta disinfect it with the flamethrower from "The Thing", we are all clear for 6:07p-CDT first pitch on espn2.

Not to look too far afield, but Monday night in Omaha-50% chance of PM thunderstorms (with lightning).  Actually good news for us, for once.  

What it must be like right now to be a MSU Bulldog.  To be sitting in silence, alone, with no one to project your false bravado.  To know you are truly fucked.   And to accept you are helpless to change your fate.  To have come this far and to know failure is at hand.  How do they say "futility" in the Southeast?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Some good news, weather this evening in Omaha looks perfect for baseball.  75 degrees, partly cloudy, 10-15mph winds from the North. 

Unless somebody smeared covaids in the dugout and they gotta disinfect it with the flamethrower from "The Thing", we are all clear for 6:07p-CDT first pitch on espn2.

Not to look too far afield, but Monday night in Omaha-50% chance of PM thunderstorms (with lightning).  Actually good news for us, for once.  

What it must be like right now to be a MSU Bulldog.  To be sitting in silence, alone, with no one to project your false bravado.  To know you are truly fucked.   And to accept you are helpless to change your fate.  To have come this far and to know failure is at hand.  How do they say "futility" in the Southeast?  

I'm going with we are doomed.  I just hope we keep it close.

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

If I could only figure out how to get Craig Way synched up off the Texassports.com feed w/the tv.

Goddamned ESPN is a beating.

Craig way on the Texas sports app is about 12 seconds behind the television. So just pause the TV broadcast for about 12 seconds.Craig way on the Texas sports app is about 12 seconds behind the television. So just pause the TV broadcast for about 12 seconds.

Just now, tejas60 said:

msu is the favorites

That line is confusing me. It says we are favored by 1.5 runs. But it also says the ML is +160 for us? Maybe I'm misinterpreting something - I've never actually bet on baseball.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That line is confusing me. It says we are favored by 1.5 runs. But it also says the ML is +160 for us? Maybe I'm misinterpreting something - I've never actually bet on baseball.

yeah, I didn't see the points. just saw the -180 and +165...

Just now, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Concur, but his whole game has lapses of iffy .. hitting, fielding, throwing, base running.

He and Ivan are very similar hitters. Kind of streaky but they can always launch one 400 feet at any moment.