Chris Warren signs with the Oakland Raiders

Machinator

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah it's common for pussy football players to develop the ability to truck NFL linebackers at age 22 or 23.

The dude was better than Kyle Porter last year and we didn't play him for whatever reason. Get over it and wish him well. 

Did you watch Chris Warren play? Porter is bad, but Warren was just infuriating to watch. I've never seen a dude that big play that soft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, formermav43 said:

This would be accurate if you ignored both video and statistical evidence.

I stand by what I said. Warren half-assed it his entire time here, therefore he wasn’t dependable. As painful as it has been to watch Porter, I think he is actually trying. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

He was the most infuriating to me. He would tip toe and try to play like he was Jamaal Charles.

Also, Greenspoint, Melton and Whaley were playing on the DL at Texas.

I know that. Im just saying that weve been pretty good at evaluating nfl level talent/getting RB talent to the nfl at the RB position

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sure. I guess my view is that Kyle Porter is the worst D1 running back I have ever seen, and Chris Warren going half ass was better than Kyle Porter smelling the grass. 

He doesn't fumble though so I guess that's something. Also, he may be halfway decent at blocking?

I watched a good part of the game last night and it sure seems like Warren is one of the biggest stories in Raiders camp.  I'm certainly not a hater, but a few things make me wanna tap the brakes just a bit.  Warren got most of his playing time on one drive in the third and most in the fourth.  The Lions inexplicably put together a drive after an EJ Manuel fumble on the 7 that took up more than half of the 3Q.  That first drive of the 3Q includes the highlight shown above.  So his success came against the scrubs, I mean, who plays in the 4Q of the first pre-season game?  In Warren's defense, his teammates at the time were also scrubs.

On one particularly nice run by Warren on that first drive in 3Q, Rich Gannon said that Warren needs to get his pad level lower if he wants to last in the NFL.  Seemed like an unsolicited comment at the time, but who knows, maybe Gannon actually did some research and knew that running too high was one of Warren's major criticisms.

The Raiders backfield is crowded.  Warren was basically RB4.  Of course Lynch is the starter, but the other two guys seemed serviceable.  One is DeAndre Washington from Tech the other is Richard who was targeted a lot as a receiver out of the backfield.  Both guys are in their 3rd year so probably not very expensive.  Richard is also a return guy so it seems like Washington is the guy to beat out.  Washington averaged over 6 ypc last night too.

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea no way a guy running full speed at a guy running lateral should be able to knock him down.....   geeze ppl, that ones not on him

Um his assignment is to square up and block the first motherfucker that runs free around the seal block. He didn’t do it. 

Brewer’s seal was about as ineffective. Blocking was not a strength of the offense last season. 

And kerstetter more or less whiffed on his guy too. 

3 most important blocks at the POA missed. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Um his assignment is to square up and block the first motherfucker that runs free around the seal block. He didn’t do it. 

Brewer’s seal was about as ineffective. Blocking was not a strength of the offense last season. 

This is correct. Brewer is supposed to double with Kerstetter and then climb to the LB, and Warren is supposed to knock the first thing that appears in the C/D gap on its ass. 

Kerstetter did ok, Brewer never climbed and his backer met him at the LOS, and Warren got knocked the f out. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And isn’t that the play where Sam got concussed? I never put all that together until now.

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

Warren was no Brian Robison, but I saw Robison get lit up by a scrub from one Baylor's shittier teams. It happens to everybody. I also saw Warren block pretty well on some other plays, and I distinctly remember that in one of his last carries for us, he obliterated some safety and only didn't house it because he tripped over the dude's corpse.

Not that would have mattered because there was a fucking holding penalty anyway, but he was not consistently a soft player by any means. He had injuries and a shitty OL every single year and he failed to mesh with the new coach. 

Everybody wants to say he only had that one game vs Tech, but he also ran for 106 in that Battle of the Somme war of attrition vs Baylor in 2015. Yeah yeah that was the Lynx Hawthorne game but damn if that same QB didn't go and take down tenth-ranked UNC a few weeks later. 

And before going down in 2016, he had a combined 28 carries for 215 vs Cal and Okie State. 

My dad has been following the Horns since the 1950s. He's been living in Tennessee for the last 45 years, so he is insulated from all the politics up there. Every weekend last year, he would call me and holler about why the fucking hell we were playing Porter and benching Warren. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, futureman said:

mr. kerstetter, we think your son has great potential but he was shit on that play.  everyone was. 

shack did ok.  but that’s about it. 

Brewer never turned his man. Now you’re asking Kerstetter to reach a DE who has half of his body free to the playside, and who is running that way. 

Thats Q 28 Lead, and it doesn’t appear to be drawn up that way. 

*Edit- on second blush after zooming in on my iPhone it appears that he was more stacked in front of Kerstetter and Kerstetter failed on his block. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Go find the o

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My dad has been following the Horns since the 1950s. He's been living in Tennessee for the last 45 years, so he is insulated from all the politics up there. Every weekend last year, he would call me and holler about why the fucking hell we were playing Porter and benching Warren. 

Now I’m convinced.

Let's not get into revisionist history with Warren.  Everybody was crying that he wasn't getting snaps over Porter, until he did, and we got to watch him dance in the backfield because he couldn't find the crease.  

Warren is a tall, heavy back who runs upright.  He takes a long time to get moving at full speed and he has to run people over because he can't change direction once he gets rolling.  If something doesn't change in his running style, he's going to get absolutely hammered with injuries in the NFL.   There's a reason that almost every star running backs in the NFL isn't over 6'1" or heavier than 230lbs. 

34 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Let's not get into revisionist history with Warren.  Everybody was crying that he wasn't getting snaps over Porter, until he did, and we got to watch him dance in the backfield because he couldn't find the crease.  

Warren is a tall, heavy back who runs upright.  He takes a long time to get moving at full speed and he has to run people over because he can't change direction once he gets rolling.  If something doesn't change in his running style, he's going to get absolutely hammered with injuries in the NFL.   There's a reason that almost every star running backs in the NFL isn't over 6'1" or heavier than 230lbs. 

Warren is like Herschel Walker compared to Kyle Porter

5 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Warren is like Herschel Walker compared to Kyle Porter

6 hours ago, bejezuz said:

Lolcrease.

You can't miss what you never had.

As to your second point, his dad, Eric Dickerson, and Adrian Peterson all disagree. Which is not to say he is in the league of the latter two, but he could possibly match his dad. 

6 hours ago, bejezuz said:

THAT’S revisionist history. I’m not saying Warren was some sort of All-America caliber back, but he put up better numbers than Porter every week. 

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Lolcrease.

You can't miss what you never had.

As to your second point, his dad, Eric Dickerson, and Adrian Peterson all disagree. Which is not to say he is in the league of the latter two, but he could possibly match his dad. 

I haven't seen someone stan this hard for a shitty UT player since Derrick Foreman and Armanti. How on earth can you like CW3 this much? He just didn't try that hard for Texas, it fucking sucked, he probably should have started over Porter but it's not like he really earned it. I was mad at the staff for playing Porter over him, but at the same time, how can you go on and reward that kind of Charmin-soft play?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 1:42 PM, Hook1997 said:

Yea no way a guy running full speed at a guy running lateral should be able to knock him down.....   geeze ppl, that ones not on him

U were right.. there is no way if Warren isn’t half assing the blocking assignment.  

That’s what happens when a motivated force engages a passive object.. it gets blown the fuck up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I haven't seen someone stan this hard for a shitty UT player since Derrick Foreman and Armanti. How on earth can you like CW3 this much? He just didn't try that hard for Texas, it fucking sucked, he probably should have started over Porter but it's not like he really earned it. I was mad at the staff for playing Porter over him, but at the same time, how can you go on and reward that kind of Charmin-soft play?

Wait and see. 

This is a story old as time. When I was in eighth grade, I was really good at all three sports. When it became known that I was moving back to Texas, the coaches at my K-12 school in Tennessee started playing dudes who they, the coaches, flat out told me were not as good as me because they would be remaining in the program and I would not. I ceased to exist to them as a prospect because I was moving. 

Same thing happened with Warren, but it was even dumber than that, because Porter will never amount to shit. Pig headed coach idiocy. Which does not mean Herman is a bad coach -- even the best of them succumb to shit like that, and it's not like Warren unchained would have elevated us to the conference championship game. 

But he was a metric fuckton better than Kyle Porter. I've been watching the Horns since 1978 and he is easily the worst back I've ever seen in our backfield.

Warren owes Tech his rep?

Where is Porter's big game against sorry opposition? And can you imagine him trucking an LB in NFL camp?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, formermav43 said:

THAT’S revisionist history. I’m not saying Warren was some sort of All-America caliber back, but he put up better numbers than Porter every week. 

But not better numbers than Carter and Young, which is why he was moved to TE/H-Back.  He also led the team's RBs in lost yards, even though he was third in carries behind Porter and Young.  Porter sucked, but he did what he was coached to do, unlike Warren.  Once the freshmen could be trusted to hold on to the ball (something Carter still can't quite do), Warren was out of the rotation.  If he stayed with the team and wasn't still at H-Back, he'd be behind Young this year too, with Carter and Ingram breathing down his neck.    

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

But not better numbers than Carter and Young, which is why he was moved to TE/H-Back.  He also led the team's RBs in lost yards, even though he was third in carries behind Porter and Young.  Porter sucked, but he did what he was coached to do, unlike Warren.  Once the freshmen could be trusted to hold on to the ball (something Carter still can't quite do), Warren was out of the rotation.  If he stayed with the team and wasn't still at H-Back, he'd be behind Young this year too, with Carter and Ingram breathing down his neck.    

If Porter did what he is coached to do then we are truly fucked.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

If Porter did what he is coached to do then we are truly fucked.

Porter's problem wasn't technique, it was talent.  He's not fast enough to make anyone miss and not strong enough to break a tackle.  When the O-line did its job, he would get just as many yards as there were blocks and then he'd be dropped.  You either believe that the coaches were right and reasonable in deciding whether Warren deserved more snaps over Porter or you don't.  Personally, I believe sometimes more talented players ride the bench because they refuse to be coachable, and that a first year coach should worry more about establishing a culture than sacrificing culture to get the most talent on the field.  

Edited by bejezuz