Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

16 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

It was always going to happen.  So, either we stay forever and prop them up or we leave and let it happen.

I haven't seen anything to make me think they were worth the sacrifice of lives and money.

It seems like the rapid fall of the capitol was completely missed, and the abandonment of those folks who helped is criminal.  That's not a criticism specifically of the Biden admin. because Bush sr. did it with the Kurds, we did it in Viet Nam in 72. We use people when it suits our strategic needs, and throw them away as soon as those needs change.  That's more than a little fucked up for a country that espouses the ideals we do.

I can't argue that they were or were not worth saving, but we should be better than wholesale abandonment of people when we should have created a much more intelligent pull out.  Mr. Bush fucked up not going after Bin Laden, Mr. Obama fucked up ramping up our presence.  Mr. Trump didn't do shit except at least say correctly we needed to get out. Mr. Biden pulled out, and did it very poorly.  Bottom line this could have been handled much better and we look like the Soviet retreat part II.  I remember those images of the Russians basically running away over that last bridge to the north, and just laughing g at their plight. We look just like that now.

I do not believe we should be there period let alone be there ad infinitum.  We should have taken as many of those folks (people that worked for us) as we could that we knew would be slaughtered. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

A lot of shit is being co-mingled.  My personal opinion: we should never have been there.  That's on P43.  We should have never stayed there.  That's on P44, P45.

P46 being risked with blame for going there, or leaving, is a false dilemna.  His responsibility is an orderly exit - which is now a clear fuckup - and thats squarely on his administration and and watch.

But atleast Pelosi is sending Thoughts & Prayers to the women of Afghanistan.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

One possibility. We did see it. 

Oh of course many saw it. We have damned smart folks in those intelligence roles. Whether an admin. listens is another story, those admin. folks are not driven by the countries needs (way too often) they're guided by their bosses needs, and their own personal beliefs IMO.  

That country is a case study in mercenary warfare, always has been always will be.  The direction of the wind, and how many goats they can get is how they decide who to support.

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

A lot of shit is being co-mingled.  My personal opinion: we should never have been there.  That's on P43.  We should have never stayed there.  That's on P44, P45.

P46 being risked with blame for going there, or leaving, is a false dilemna.  His responsibility is an orderly exit - which is now a clear fuckup - and thats squarely on his administration and and watch.

She really is a solid POS.  And as I've said I don't lay blame on Mr. Biden for leaving. I blame his admin. for the really shitty way they're carrying it out.

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Some messed up videos on Twitter of people clinging onto planes after lift off, falling to their deaths.

One thing that has struck me while looking at these airport videos is that the ratio of men to women & children is about 10-20:1. Wtf guys, where’s your families?

Everything old is new again. This is Saigon part II, now with C-130's.....

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We probably should of organized a leave THEN reduced our troop numbers. 

I always mess up some mundane detail 

Organized withdrawal ??!  Are you maaaaad ???!

How did we not do this from day one ?  Were they concerned the Taliban would launch all out offenses  ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Some messed up videos on Twitter of people clinging onto planes after lift off, falling to their deaths.

One thing that has struck me while looking at these airport videos is that the ratio of men to women & children is about 10-20:1. Wtf guys, where’s your families?

The-Harem.jpg

I suppose there are always degrees of different methods but I don’t see how this could have been much different. Were we going to announce a multi year plan to stay in the country and allow anyone into America?

I can’t imagine the fear that leads you to cling to a plane but were those same people using that fear over the last 20 years to get out?

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I suppose there are always degrees of different methods but I don’t see how this could have been much different. Were we going to announce a multi year plan to stay in the country and allow anyone into America?

I can’t imagine the fear that leads you to cling to a plane but were those same people using that fear over the last 20 years to get out?

I'm sure most Afghan citizens weren't optimistic about the government's chances long term, but I doubt many anticipated the army surrendering and the President fleeing the country before the Americans were even gone. People not understanding how quickly things can go to shit is a pretty consistent thing throughout world history.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I did see on Twitter that the Taliban was going door to door and “marrying” all young girls to soldiers on the spot and taking them away.

I have no idea whether or not that’s true and no way of judging the credibility of the source. It sounds implausible. They’ve never done that before. Could you at least post the tweet?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We didn't need to announce anything, and could have been quietly working behind the scenes to set up an evacuation plan for those folks who were working with us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

We didn't need to announce anything, and could have been quietly working behind the scenes to set up an evacuation plan for those folks who were working with us. 

That would have required work from the last admin to make sure that such a complex thing could be handled while we're in the midst of the worst global pandemic in a century. We sorta went the wrong way with respect to helping those who helped us. It'll go over GREAT next time we need help from locals

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Correct. Obama administration drew down forces from 100,000 to 10,000 without announcing a deal or anything with the Taliban. 

Just now, Captainant said:

That would have required work from the last admin to make sure that such a complex thing could be handled while we're in the midst of the worst global pandemic in a century. We sorta went the wrong way with respect to helping those who helped us. It'll go over GREAT next time we need help from locals

Hey there's plenty of blame to go around, but Mr. Biden could have said we're staying for a while, and started the process.  

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Do you know if this occurred or not? It seems that some are taking it as a fact that we abandoned everyone. I have no idea if this is true or not. 

Panic in the streets and airports do not mean all or any of them worked with the US military. 

Definitely, absolutely going to be an increase in terrorist incidents around the world within 2-3 years if not sooner.  All ISIS needed was a patch somewhere within their 1/3 occupation of Syria in 2015 to train recruits to mastermind and execute Charlie Hebdo and the Paris Concert (Eagles of Death Metal).  These people need land to build their training camps, and now they've got more of it than anyone knows what to do with.  And no one or nothing (like troops) to stop them.

This is a nightmare beyond nightmares - an entire country that is welcome to every shitbag (and remember Pakistan is gleefully in participation with all of this).

• Hook 'Em 3

To wit, found this quote interesting from Axios:

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley told senators on Sunday that a previous assessment of how soon terrorist groups will likely reconstitute in Afghanistan will speed up because of what’s happening there now, according to three sources on the phone call…

Behind the scenes: On a Sunday phone call between top Biden officials and senators from both parties, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) asked Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Milley whether, in light of recent events, they will revise an assessment to Congress in June of a “medium” risk of terrorist groups reconstituting in Afghanistan within two years.

Milley responded “yes” — that he would have to assume that that timeline would get moved up, and that he would be happy to brief senators in a classified setting.

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey there's plenty of blame to go around, but Mr. Biden could have said we're staying for a while, and started the process.  

No doubt the pullout is a humanitarian disaster. Just funny to see folks suddenly giving a shit about how we treat the afghans, after the last four years/two decades of blowing them up with drones and refusing their asylum requests after aiding us for years

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Correct. Obama administration drew down forces from 100,000 to 10,000 without announcing a deal or anything with the Taliban. 

Part of the problem was the Trump draw down to 2500 was not going to be enough for the Spring offensive.  Biden was either going to have to send in troops or leave. He chose the latter. 

His fuck up was listening to the chucklefucks at the Embassy and State who thought the Afghan government could hold on for 12 months instead of just assuming worst case scenario. 

44 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I have no idea whether or not that’s true and no way of judging the credibility of the source. It sounds implausible. They’ve never done that before. Could you at least post the tweet?

Actually on Instagram. They cite the WSJ & Daily Mail as the original source... https://www.instagram.com/p/CSj2h72FcnB/

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you know if this occurred or not? It seems that some are taking it as a fact that we abandoned everyone. I have no idea if this is true or not. 

Panic in the streets and airports do not mean all or any of them worked with the US military. 

Of course not, but judging by the chaos, it seems either they took a very small number of folks our or just misjudged what was going to happen after we left.

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Hey there lots of blame to go around but I want to focus on blaming Biden. GTFO.

You first sparky. 

For some reason you chose to bash me for criticizing Mr. Biden when there's been plenty of general criticism from others here so kindly fuck of with your leg humping.

You first sparky. 
For some reason you chose to bash me for criticizing Mr. Biden when there's been plenty of general criticism from others here so kindly fuck of with your leg humping.

To think that I’m “leg humping” Biden is such a bad take that it’s not worth further responding to you.

I’m disgusted with the entire situation and my disgust isn’t differentiated by party or administration. So you can continue to fuck off.

What does an orderly exit look like?

• immamac changed the title to Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]