What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

On 4/18/2024 at 8:47 AM, hayden_horn said:

lol at lights being timed at all for efficiency. there are so many shit examples but loyola in general has lights that blow. my personal favorite for time immemorial is the seeming inability for the city to time lights on a schedule. ain't no college kids crossing dean keaton at 8 am on a sunday but that doesn't stop all those lights from going red so ghosts can cross on non school days. 

Remember a few years back when the CoA spent $26 million on some system to coordinate the traffic signals? How'd that work out for you? Pretty sweet, huh?

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/homeless-man-arrested-for-attempted-kidnapping-of-8-year-old-girl-in-se-austin

A homeless man was arrested Sunday after attempting to kidnap an 8-year-old girl at a park in southeast Austin, police said.

Jeffery Alan Harpster, 36, approached a family having a picnic at Pleasant Valley Road near Lady Bird Lake and tried to grab the girl, according to an arrest affidavit. The girl's father intervened and Harpster claimed the girl was his niece and he had a responsibility to take her.

Police said Harpster had approached the family earlier asking for food and left, but returned and focused on the young girl. He allegedly jumped over their picnic food trying to take control of her.

The father told police Harpster became physically violent, swinging his arms, when confronted. Harpster tried to approach another female before being stopped by bystanders.

A search of Harpster's backpack found 0.9 grams of methamphetamine, the affidavit said. This was the second call about Harpster that day, after a report he followed two females to their vehicle and tried to get inside with them.

Harpster was arrested and charged with attempted kidnapping and possession of a controlled substance, both state jail felonies.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/homeless-man-arrested-for-attempted-kidnapping-of-8-year-old-girl-in-se-austin

A homeless man was arrested Sunday after attempting to kidnap an 8-year-old girl at a park in southeast Austin, police said.

Jeffery Alan Harpster, 36, approached a family having a picnic at Pleasant Valley Road near Lady Bird Lake and tried to grab the girl, according to an arrest affidavit. The girl's father intervened and Harpster claimed the girl was his niece and he had a responsibility to take her.

Police said Harpster had approached the family earlier asking for food and left, but returned and focused on the young girl. He allegedly jumped over their picnic food trying to take control of her.

The father told police Harpster became physically violent, swinging his arms, when confronted. Harpster tried to approach another female before being stopped by bystanders.

A search of Harpster's backpack found 0.9 grams of methamphetamine, the affidavit said. This was the second call about Harpster that day, after a report he followed two females to their vehicle and tried to get inside with them.

Harpster was arrested and charged with attempted kidnapping and possession of a controlled substance, both state jail felonies.

FAFO.....he'd be breathing through a straw as I'd beat him within and inch of his GD, worthless fucking life.  How he got so close in the first place is on the dad.  He already approached once.  Then came back and lunged after the little girl.  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  

As for the highlighted part.  Will they prosecute?

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

FAFO.....he'd be breathing through a straw as I'd beat him within and inch of his GD, worthless fucking life.  How he got so close in the first place is on the dad.  He already approached once.  Then came back and lunged after the little girl.  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  

Jose's going to give him the keys to the city.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Leave the poor guy alone. He's just experiencing an urge to kidnap while experiencing meth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Garza is a fucking tapeworm. News to everyone. But it's what the idiotic electorate wanted. At least they voted. 

The bigger fuckups are the 93% of those registered who didn't vote and, by default, got this. 

I wouldn't trust this mug with my 11-year old for 15 minutes. But the people spoke. They got what they wanted. 

Live with the shit. Spend less time on idiotic petitions and more time and getting out the vote. Try again next time. Maybe 8% will go to the polls. 

image.png.03085fe081f47ba278b5a25c885219a4.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:03 AM, crash_davis said:

image.jpeg.ea58593891f60c90f5349be10e782cf5.jpeg

14 hours ago, Orange&White said:

That’s pretty fucked up that a judge in Comal County can try to remove a democratically elected DA in a different county. What happened to small government/local control? 

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s pretty fucked up that a judge in Comal County can try to remove a democratically elected DA in a different county. What happened to small government/local control? 

Isn’t he simply presiding over a Travis county jury? 

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

A state law was passed last year colloquially dubbed the "rogue prosecutor law" that allows residents to petition the court system to remove a DA if they, among other things, systematically refuse to prosecute classes of crimes.  The judge here simply heads up this judicial district and is carry out his responsibilities under the law.  You can read more about it here.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

A state law was passed last year colloquially dubbed the "rogue prosecutor law" that allows residents to petition the court system to remove a DA if they, among other things, systematically refuse to prosecute classes of crimes.  The judge here simply heads up this judicial district and is carry out his responsibilities under the law.  You can read more about it here.  

I know about the law, enacted soon after several DAs said they wouldn’t prosecute women who seek out of state abortions. I’m sure that had nothing to do with it though. DAs everywhere have long had a lot of discretion on which cases to prosecute, not sure why that became a problem all of a sudden.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I know about the law, enacted soon after several DAs said they wouldn’t prosecute women who seek out of state abortions. I’m sure that had nothing to do with it though. DAs everywhere have long had a lot of discretion on which cases to prosecute, not sure why that became a problem all of a sudden.

It has nothing to do with abortion rights. He either throws out cases or gives slaps on the wrist to repeat offenders and violent criminals. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:03 AM, crash_davis said:

We need a vigilante to just start wasting these losers. Barely kidding.

Watched The Watchmen the other day and feels like it's hitting a little close to home these days. 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

ok - well you failed to make the connection. 

But I'm not contending your main point, just pointing out your problem is with the law, not the judge.  

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It has nothing to do with abortion rights. He either throws out cases or gives slaps on the wrist to repeat offenders and violent criminals. 

The Texas Legislature passed a bill Sunday to eradicate much of the discretionary power bestowed upon locally elected prosecutors.

House Bill 17 would allow the courts to remove district attorneys for misconduct if they choose not to pursue certain types of crimes. The Republican priority legislation was proposed as a way to rein in “rogue” district attorneys in Texas’ large, left-leaning counties who have little appetite to pursue alleged abortion-related or election crimes.

The legislation will also likely jump-start marijuana prosecutions in several counties that have recently declined to pursue low-level pot possession cases.

Elected prosecutors have wide discretion to decide which cases they take on. It’s a power that, in the past, was typically supported by law-and-order conservatives — until major Democratic cities began electing progressive district attorneys who turned away from some long-standing criminal justice practices like pursuing strict punishments for drug possession.

Bschoolprof is correct though, my problem should be with the law, not the judge. Garza may well be a terrible DA, I’m just not comfortable seeing what I view as a government overreach. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:54 AM, Orange&White said:

I wasn't aware that the prisons got a vote or an option on who the courts sentence to prison? Are you saying that the prisons have a right or ability to deny a prisoner that has been convicted to prison time?

You can't try or convict someone who is incompetent to stand trial. That whole Constitution thing. 

Posted (edited)

Interesting...

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/person-who-filed-petition-to-remove-travis-county-da-steps-forward/

In the statement, Dupuis said she was sexually assaulted. She claims a friend of Garza represents the person who sexually assaulted her.

Dupuis alleged that during the sexual assault investigation, Garza’s office “destroyed evidence, ignored multiple confessions from the perpetrator, and openly mocked me during a hearing to discuss why they declined to prosecute,” the statement reads.

KXAN reached out to Garza’s office for a response to these allegations but has not heard back yet.

Dupuis said in her statement: “I am not a Republican, and certainly not MAGA. I have not been paid by anyone and filed this petition at great personal risk. In fact [sic] did not have an active voter registration during the primary election and had not had one since 2007.”

A citation issued by the court requires Garza to appear May 16 in a Travis County district courtroom for a hearing on the case.

edit: The reddit thread has some interesting info, especially her twitter. She is.....interesting.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Interesting...

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/person-who-filed-petition-to-remove-travis-county-da-steps-forward/

In the statement, Dupuis said she was sexually assaulted. She claims a friend of Garza represents the person who sexually assaulted her.

Dupuis alleged that during the sexual assault investigation, Garza’s office “destroyed evidence, ignored multiple confessions from the perpetrator, and openly mocked me during a hearing to discuss why they declined to prosecute,” the statement reads.

KXAN reached out to Garza’s office for a response to these allegations but has not heard back yet.

Dupuis said in her statement: “I am not a Republican, and certainly not MAGA. I have not been paid by anyone and filed this petition at great personal risk. In fact [sic] did not have an active voter registration during the primary election and had not had one since 2007.”

A citation issued by the court requires Garza to appear May 16 in a Travis County district courtroom for a hearing on the case.

edit: The reddit thread has some interesting info, especially her twitter. She is.....interesting.

Yeah, gee, I wonder why they declined to prosecute

https://alexgraveley.com/stalker

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.16f0794eefc6c5b919d026e854dbb5e0.pngimage.thumb.png.45f12cbb01df4283515bb3f886f00d6d.pngimage.thumb.png.3276178b82ee86ce72b1a2b6328d4908.png

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2024 at 10:53 AM, Helobious said:

Bschoolprof is correct though, my problem should be with the law, not the judge. Garza may well be a terrible DA, I’m just not comfortable seeing what I view as a government overreach. 

Garza is the definition of government over reach. There should be accountability and responsibility of his job, office, staff, etc. he is 150% stepping outside of his governmental assignment and allowing laws to not be enforced. 

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

Garza is the definition of government over reach. There should be accountability and responsibility of his job, office, staff, etc. he is 150% stepping outside of his governmental assignment and allowing laws to not be enforced. 

He’s in an elected position. He’s accountable to the citizens of Travis County, who just re-elected him in a landslide. Maybe your problem should be with them. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

I’m cool with him not enforcing weed laws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

He’s in an elected position. He’s accountable to the citizens of Travis County, who just re-elected him in a landslide. Maybe your problem should be with them. 

Just because you are elected doesn’t mean you don’t have to do your job. This is the exact type of idiocy that gets us in to this mess.

Take some of your own stupid medicine. That new law that reigns in rogue DAs…yeah, that was put together by elected officials that also vote in new laws in a democratic process. So, when you blindly and idiotically say “government overreach” maybe your problem should be with them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Just because you are elected doesn’t mean you don’t have to do your job. This is the exact type of idiocy that gets us in to this mess.

Take some of your own stupid medicine. That new law that reigns in rogue DAs…yeah, that was put together by elected officials that also vote in new laws in a democratic process. So, when you blindly and idiotically say “government overreach” maybe your problem should be with them.

Do you see me filing petitions or calling for anyone to be removed from office? No. All I’m seeing for support of Garza’s removal is emotional pleas and people saying they don’t like how he does his job. Nothing of him breaking laws or doing something improper.

Even the cries of “he isn’t doing his job” ring hollow to me. The population at the Travis County jail has been increasing each year he’s been in office.

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Interesting...

The other guy was represented by Rick Cofer, or so she said on Twitter.  Is he on here?

I think the key problem is that the complainant is bona fide batshit crazy. Seriously, check out the Reddit thread on her. You cannot put her on the stand, for any reason, in any case.

I’m no fan of Garza. This petition, especially by this complainant, is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Do you see me filing petitions or calling for anyone to be removed from office? No. All I’m seeing for support of Garza’s removal is emotional pleas and people saying they don’t like how he does his job. Nothing of him breaking laws or doing something improper.

Even the cries of “he isn’t doing his job” ring hollow to me. The population at the Travis County jail has been increasing each year he’s been in office.

No, I see you saying “overreach” yet mentioning the democratic process. It’s hypocritical and fucking stupid. No one said you were filing petitions.

This may surprise you but as population increases, so can crime and jail population. Garza doesn’t fill the county jail. Crazy concept.

53 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

The other guy was represented by Rick Cofer, or so she said on Twitter.  Is he on here?

cofer is the supposed friend of garza?  that would be the same rick cofer who represented kaitlin armstrong.

29 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

No, I see you saying “overreach” yet mentioning the democratic process. It’s hypocritical and fucking stupid. No one said you were filing petitions.

This may surprise you but as population increases, so can crime and jail population. Garza doesn’t fill the county jail. Crazy concept.

You’re the only one talking about overreach and undoing the democratic process. I long ago said I realized it wasn’t the judge bringing about this petition like I thought at first. Instead it’s a hyper-active on social media crazy woman that’s already accused of stalking 2 people and is wrapped in a legal battle with one of them. Glad you think that’s legit. 

29 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

cofer is the supposed friend of garza?  that would be the same rick cofer who represented kaitlin armstrong.

You can read the whole thread, I'll withhold judgement.

EDIT: This pinned post either points out she knows how to pick them, or she's crazy:

Edited by PvilleStang

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Instead it’s a hyper-active on social media crazy woman that’s already accused of stalking 2 people and is wrapped in a legal battle with one of them.

She's got Austin city council written all over her. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2024 at 10:53 AM, Helobious said:

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You’re the only one talking about overreach and undoing the democratic process. I long ago said I realized it wasn’t the judge bringing about this petition like I thought at first. Instead it’s a hyper-active on social media crazy woman that’s already accused of stalking 2 people and is wrapped in a legal battle with one of them. Glad you think that’s legit. 

Jesus Christ….

58 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Yeah, the "the defense lawyer is a friend of the DA!" is a dog whistle for people with zero understanding of how being a professional works.  I am a trial attorney, and opposing counsel is OFTEN someone with whom I am actual personal friends.  Why is that?  Because all-in-all, our profession is a small world.  Most of us in a particular field know each other well.  Why would Garza and Cofer be friends?  Maybe because THEY WORKED TOGETHER AS PROSECUTORS BEFORE COFER LEFT THE OFFICE TO DO DEFENSE WORK.  That is a regular, common thing.  Many - perhaps most - good criminal defense lawyers in most towns spent time as prosecutors.  They see the same folks over and over.  They are friendly, they socialize, the go to Bar activities together.  In short, "Garza and Cofer are friends!" is a giant nothingburger.  "The DA and many defense lawyers in town are friends!" is the full statement, and it's meaningless.

Like I said, I go up against friends all the time.  I don't give my client shitty service because I want to do a favor to my friend, nobody I know would even think of doing that.  In fact...it's kinda fun to go head-to-head against one of your friends and beat them.

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The sentence after the one you bolded is kind of important, but go off queen.

It’s ok, we all know you’re not intelligent enough to be accountable for your own words. Don’t forget to wash your vagina.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I think the key problem is that the complainant is bona fide batshit crazy. Seriously, check out the Reddit thread on her. You cannot put her on the stand, for any reason, in any case.

I’m no fan of Garza. This petition, especially by this complainant, is bullshit.

I took a short dive down the Mary Dupuis rabbit hole and I'm stressed out just reading second hand about her. 

Wow, she truly needs mental health assistance in a very bad way and it's clear from what I saw she is, as other deduce, pretty clearly being used as a pawn.