Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My recollection is of the Syracuse tie in 1993 the week after losing in Boulder when Bill declared, “It doesn’t get any better than this!” I was hanging out near Big Tex after we lost to OU, and Cunningham was working his was through the crowd. I yelled at him, “Does it get any better than this, Bill?”

Oh yeah, that game suuuucked.  My college years I got to enjoy four years of OU losses thanks to Peter the Great, the 1990 season and the destruction of UH but also some brutal brutal games in 1989... bah-rutal... awful games like 1992 Texas v TCU (check out this FAN-tastic box score... https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/92/ut-tcu.htm )

Yeah, I remember the Syracuse tie.  Absolute ass.  I hated ties.  But then afterwards Rashaan Salaam's coming out party ( https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/94/utcu.htm ) , the Rice game from the stands in Houston, etc.  Ooofff...

But, for every one of those turds, I attended the 1996 UT-Mizzou rain delay game ( http://www.orangeblood.org/Sports/foot/1996/1996.missouri.html ) Ricky against A&M for the record, 1999 Texas vs Nebraska ( https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/23/on-this-day-in-longhorns-history-texas-defeats-3-nebraska-10-23-1999/ ), Stony Clark, the 2005 season, both Rose Bowls, etc. etc.  

What were we talking about again?  F the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...

So, what will IR8 fans do now? Why, they’ll keep on carping about Texas. I don’t get the FWST, but I saw this article posted in the men’s room at Central Market in FW. 

https://kdhnews.com/sports/college/mac-engel-the-texas-longhorns-now-have-a-major-problem-at-quarterback-his-last-name/article_d0ca48fb-367e-5f82-934a-fa71e0255911.html

The premise is stupid- neither Manning nor Ewers are going anywhere. Austin, coached by Sark, playing behind this line and throwing to these receivers is where they both intend to be. Doesn’t matter to Engel. 

He is the kind of writer that is so pro the home town team that he is consistently anti the team he seems TCU’s real rival-Texas. I have never seen him write anything positive about Texas (pre-season, he said Texas had the most talent, but he was still not picking Texas to win the B12 because he thought Sark was flawed as a coach). He delights in any TCU win over Texas, in any sport. 

And he just can’t let it go. Ha-ha-ha-ha!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, texasdago said:

Oh yeah, that game suuuucked.  My college years I got to enjoy four years of OU losses thanks to Peter the Great, the 1990 season and the destruction of UH but also some brutal brutal games in 1989... bah-rutal... awful games like 1992 Texas v TCU (check out this FAN-tastic box score... https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/92/ut-tcu.htm )

Yeah, I remember the Syracuse tie.  Absolute ass.  I hated ties.  But then afterwards Rashaan Salaam's coming out party ( https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/94/utcu.htm ) , the Rice game from the stands in Houston, etc.  Ooofff...

But, for every one of those turds, I attended the 1996 UT-Mizzou rain delay game ( http://www.orangeblood.org/Sports/foot/1996/1996.missouri.html ) Ricky against A&M for the record, 1999 Texas vs Nebraska ( https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/23/on-this-day-in-longhorns-history-texas-defeats-3-nebraska-10-23-1999/ ), Stony Clark, the 2005 season, both Rose Bowls, etc. etc.  

What were we talking about again?  F the Big 12.

We were definitely in college at the same time. This was like reading my own football diary. It's was a painful and sometimes soggy reminder of the past.

Rashan Salam and the Missery rain game. 

You missed UCLA... me: 50 yard line, end of game, cancer stick in mouth, stretched out on 3 rows of bleachers.  - Celebrating when we got the field goal to keep the scoring record alive. Yes, really.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

We were definitely in college at the same time. This was like reading my own football diary. It's was a painful and sometimes soggy reminder of the past.

You missed UCLA... me: 50 yard line, end of game, cancer stick in mouth, stretched out on 3 rows of bleachers.  - Celebrating when we got the field goal to keep the scoring record alive. Yes, really.

Oh yeah, Rout 66.  The beginning of the end for Mackovic.

• Rage+1 3

11 hours ago, statsman said:

So, what will IR8 fans do now? Why, they’ll keep on carping about Texas. I don’t get the FWST, but I saw this article posted in the men’s room at Central Market in FW. 

https://kdhnews.com/sports/college/mac-engel-the-texas-longhorns-now-have-a-major-problem-at-quarterback-his-last-name/article_d0ca48fb-367e-5f82-934a-fa71e0255911.html

The premise is stupid- neither Manning nor Ewers are going anywhere. Austin, coached by Sark, playing behind this line and throwing to these receivers is where they both intend to be. Doesn’t matter to Engel. 

He is the kind of writer that is so pro the home town team that he is consistently anti the team he seems TCU’s real rival-Texas. I have never seen him write anything positive about Texas (pre-season, he said Texas had the most talent, but he was still not picking Texas to win the B12 because he thought Sark was flawed as a coach). He delights in any TCU win over Texas, in any sport. 

And he just can’t let it go. Ha-ha-ha-ha!

Almost as bad as Cedric Golden stirring the pot with Ewers needs to watch his back with Manning staying around.  TCU is gonna TCU, in just the same ways Tceh and aggy will always celebrate a loss of ours.

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Fuck that era that was mine too. 

43 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My kids toured URI for the fun of it (seniors get to live at the beach) and there was some serious talent there. Out of state coeds or whatever but SWT level scenery. 

Sounds like a good deal for my nephew who is going to Brown on a Football Scholarship next year.  I assume Brown & URI students mingle like Texas and SWT.  30 miles apart.

12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I wanted Texas to score another field goal against UCLA to make it 66-6, as the sign of the devil would have been appropriate for the hell that was our program.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2023 at 7:26 AM, slorch said:

Indeed.  Texas thinks a lifetime of bullshit on their part is going to miraculously change.

I am interested in hearing all about this. Please be specific.

I am not sure I have ever heard an allegation against us that was anything other than a misperception. I struggle to think of anything in the Big 12 era that we leveraged unfairly for our own benefit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I am interested in hearing all about this. Please be specific.

I am not sure I have ever heard an allegation against us that was anything other than a misperception. I struggle to think of anything in the Big 12 era that we leveraged unfairly for our own benefit. 

Wind driven snow, yessir.

You’ll continue to be perfect in your new conference digs, as well. The past is filled partners who clamored to be a part of whatever Texas is doing.  Any allegation of misdeed/ bad faith is imaginary.

You see what you want to see.  I do too.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, slorch said:

You’ll continue to be perfect in your new conference digs, as well. The past is filled partners who clamored to be a part of whatever Texas is doing.  Any allegation of misdeed/ bad faith is imaginary.

...or, you know, make a list. I'd love to read it.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

He will be releasing his findings in TWO WEEKS!  

What is it about a fortnight and stupidity?  I guess, the incubation period?  

Fuck the cubes. What is needed here is insolation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

...or, you know, make a list. I'd love to read it.

I know this drill. You do too. 
Austin’s on the Nile with you. 

Hey look everyone, slorch is being stupid again. Accusations with absolutely zero examples ever. 

slorch, Texas Tech is the biggest piece of shit institution ever even worse than Baylor and Penn State. But you think they're as pure as the driven snow, yes sir. Angelic Texas Tech. But don't bother asking for examples, I'll just post another stupid copout like "you just don't want to see it" or similar faux intellectual garbage.

Please, I'm on pins and needles waiting for your response where you claim I'm upset while making this post even though everyone realizes I'm just mocking your tired BS. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So in other words. You can’t cite anything.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

Ivy League has athletic scholarships now?

He’s a straight A student who plays football and runs track. His older brother went to Rice on academic scholarship. 

I don’t know the details but he was also recruited/offered by Harvard and Columbia. So maybe he has an academic scholarship but he’ll be an athlete there. 

Edited by TexasEd

10 hours ago, slorch said:

Well your partner covered up a murder and systematically endorsed abuse of women. If that is who you would rather associate than us, you are welcome to them.

I prefer partners who have better priorities than yours. Though they are ours as well...at least for a few more months. Then may we never speak of them again.

In any case we aren't some borg collective, we have people in charge who made decisions. If Deloss Dodds or whomever made some decision that pissed you off, well it probably pissed me off to. But you can't even name one so...

Edited by Valmy77

23 hours ago, texasdago said:

Oh yeah, Rout 66.  The beginning of the end for Mackovic.

My son was 4 years old at that game. He suffered through the heat and humiliation right along with his dad. He identified teams by their helmets then, and when we played Baylor later that season, he cried, “Oh no, not the Golden guys again!” when the Baylor players took the field.

That was the first time I laughed since 66-3. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My kids toured URI for the fun of it (seniors get to live at the beach) and there was some serious talent there. Out of state coeds or whatever but SWT level scenery. 

This shocks me. A good friend of mine at UT (introduced me to my wife) was from RI, and he had nothing good to say about their women. Must indeed be the OOS coeds. 

5 hours ago, slorch said:

I know this drill. You do too. 
Austin’s on the Nile with you. 

Truly, I want to hear what we did that was so awful. I hear fans of schools say things like this, then they only spout the same tired (and mostly false) things.

WE did not drive Colorado or Missouri away. Nebraska left because we kept beating their asses. Aggy left because they wanted to “one up” us.

The LHN is an excuse and only an excuse. Unequal revenue sharing? Aggy and Nebraska were both for that. We gave up a good bit of money to preserve the conference after those schools left. Almost all conference votes were nearly unanimous. I honestly don’t know of any legitimate gripes schools have with us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Truly, I want to hear what we did that was so awful. I hear fans of schools say things like this, then they only spout the same tired (and mostly false) things.

WE did not drive Colorado or Missouri away. Nebraska left because we kept beating their asses. Aggy left because they wanted to “one up” us.

The LHN is an excuse and only an excuse. Unequal revenue sharing? Aggy and Nebraska were both for that. We gave up a good bit of money to preserve the conference after those schools left. Almost all conference votes were nearly unanimous. I honestly don’t know of any legitimate gripes schools have with us. 

Their gripe is that a 5 win Texas team gets more attention than a 10 win version of their team.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Their gripe is that a 5 win Texas team gets more attention than a 10 win version of their team.  

Right. Jealousy. Something neither we nor they can ever change.

We’re the wealthiest and one of the most successful programs in history, yet we have fared far too poorly most of the time and the majority of us have no problem admitting that’s the case. We tried to share the LHN with everyone and were essentially laughed out of the room. But 

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well your partner covered up a murder and systematically endorsed abuse of women. If that is who you would rather associate than us, you are welcome to them.

I prefer partners who have better priorities than yours. Though they are ours as well...at least for a few more months. Then may we never speak of them again.

In any case we aren't some borg collective, we have people in charge who made decisions. If Deloss Dodds or whomever made some decision that pissed you off, well it probably pissed me off to. But you can't even name one so...

No the point is that Petey boy and I have had this discussion before and he disputes fucking everything as if Texas is God's gift.  Whatever.

The fact that you even agree that there have been decisions with which you disagreed is a lot more reasonable than his position of trolldom.

So the illusion endures for him...

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

No, IIRC it was Dodd’s statement “We are the Joneses” that pissed a lot of them off. 
That, and when UT co-opted the “We’re Texas” slogan that Tech tried to brand themselves with. Kinda like aggy with the Texas Aggie bs.

• Hook 'Em 1

WRT Texas and TT,

- Texas (AD Bible and HC Royal) advocated for the SWC to accept TT. They felt the conference needed more state schools (the private schools were pushing for rules, like scholarship limits lower than other conferences, to save money). 
- When the PAC was looking to expand, in a move that would have killed the B12, Texas moved to bring TT along. 
- When Texas finally did leave the B12, it paid the old members what was owed and didn’t try to screw them out of anything. Texas paid a hell of a lot more to leave the B12 than Tech paid to leave the Border Conference. 

As near as I can tell, Tech’s big gripe with Texas is threefold:

1. Texas didn’t bring Tech along to the SEC (never an option; the SEC and B1G were never accepting Tech)

2. Texas isn’t agreeing to scheduling a football series going fwd. (future schedules must be mutually agreed upon. Maybe Tech could use a little introspection as to why Texas won’t agree? Isn’t it kind of like when a girl doesn’t agree to a date- do you really think it’s her fault?)

3. Twice, Texas plucked Tech coaches away- McWilliams and Beard. Both had ties with Texas that were older than their employment with Tech. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This shocks me. A good friend of mine at UT (introduced me to my wife) was from RI, and he had nothing good to say about their women. Must indeed be the OOS coeds. 

I mean we toured Brown and RISD the day before and Providence was kinda rough - a really cool town but more of a back alley vibe.  So it might just have been that I saw thin and blonde the next day.  But I don’t think so.  The place stood out to me on the New England college odyssey. 

23 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Sounds like a good deal for my nephew who is going to Brown on a Football Scholarship next year.  I assume Brown & URI students mingle like Texas and SWT.  30 miles apart.

Yeah Brown will be rough on that front from what I saw.  Plus it’s smart girls not interested in money so you can’t even work the “kept man” angle.  

RISD is next door to Brown so he might hook up with a girl who’s enthusiastic if nothing else.  

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My son was 4 years old at that game. He suffered through the heat and humiliation right along with his dad. He identified teams by their helmets then, and when we played Baylor later that season, he cried, “Oh no, not the Golden guys again!” when the Baylor players took the field.

That was the first time I laughed since 66-3. 

If I look close enough, I still might be able to see an actual scar I got that day.  Wife dropped me off around Jester or somewhere on that side of campus prior to kickoff.   When I was getting out we were chatting about pickup times and I managed to cut\scrape the hell out of my left pectoral area while closing the door... caught the corner of the door on that piece of shit car.  It was very visible for years when I had no shirt on.  Shitty reminder of a most shitty game.

• Drool 1

Legit dark horse to shake things up and possibly win the conference next season. 3 years ago they didn't win any games. 2 years ago 1-11. Now they finished with a bowl win(suck it sooners), a 10 win season, #11 in the final AP poll and have the second longest win streak in the country! Bear the fuck Down! Forget Colorado and Prime. Keep an eye out for Jedd Fisch and Arizona. They're coming!

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Rhode Island School for the Deaf?

I actually considered Rhode Island School of Design. I can't even remember why now.

Broadly speaking, I like Rhode Island, but I'm part hoodrat. 

Food was good, people seemed cool.

Fuck Texas Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny thing about this thread is that it is mostly Texas fans being indignant about the Left Behinds not being more appreciative for all of the constant good will and altruism that drove others to leave the Big XII.

The thread is about the left behinds,not UT’s alleged good deeds.  People would be talking about missing Texas if that were the case.

Somehow, we’ll fucking survive…. Just maybe.

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Funny thing about this thread is that it is mostly Texas fans being indignant about the Left Behinds not being more appreciative for all of the constant good will and altruism that drove others to leave the Big XII.

The thread is about the left behinds,not UT’s alleged good deeds.  People would be talking about missing Texas if that were the case.

Somehow, we’ll fucking survive…. Just maybe.

Tell us again what deeds Texas did to drive others away?

(9-1 vs Nebraska notwithstanding)

3 hours ago, slorch said:

No the point is that Petey boy and I have had this discussion before and he disputes fucking everything as if Texas is God's gift.  Whatever.

We have? I certainly don’t recall it.

I’m sincerely interested in seeing what is on your list. It must be a monster. I’m wide open to objective criticism. 

I’ll add that I have no particular axe to grind with Tech, or really most of the remaining Big 12 schools. I’ve had plenty of friends with Tech ties, including some former players. I even know someone who was with the Red Raider program, saw Adam James get sent to the shed, and still loves Mike Leach and Tech. I usually even root for Tech.

All the hatred is just bizarre to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1