New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is 25-22-2 at College Station. Texas is 28-10 at Little Rock/Fayetteville/Memphis. Neither of those programs are anything currently different than their historical mean as programs of mediocrity. I certainly hope Texas isn't lobbying for a home/away split each with those two teams. Texas should get them both at home, as merited by where the last game in each rivalry was played.

It's not about competitiveness, it's about having at least one rival be a home game every year.

27 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

It's not about competitiveness, it's about having at least one rival be a home game every year.

I get what you're saying and that's probably what happens, but I wish that weren't the case. Unless we wind up with a snoozer group of home games that amount to South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, and Mississippi State, some shit like that, there will almost always be marquee match-ups at home each year. 

If they give Texas Missouri instead of someone like Tennessee next year, they really are missing a trick. I don't think Missouri has anything but garden variety disdain/envy for Texas and we never really acknowledged their existence in the Big 12. Playing Tennessee instead would have national buzz, even if both programs were mediocre. They haven't played in forever, Tennessee has permanent penis envy about "The Real Orange/UT" etc., and we will absolutely and instantly cause them to hate us due to our indifference about their point of view.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is 25-22-2 at College Station. Texas is 28-10 at Little Rock/Fayetteville/Memphis. Neither of those programs are anything currently different than their historical mean as programs of mediocrity. I certainly hope Texas isn't lobbying for a home/away split each with those two teams. Texas should get them both at home, as merited by where the last game in each rivalry was played.

I think the SEC will grant aggy their little fit they throw about hosting us in 2024. Arkansas is definitely coming to Austin, just like we are destined to go to Baton Rouge since that trip never happened. I think the permanent rivalry thing will dictate a split as it feels like whomever is the home team for Texas OU will lose a home game that year. We would be away in 2024 so if we have 4 home games and 3 away then we know that's the case. I don't know how they handle Florida and Georgia but I could check it out. So years where we're home, if we stay under the dumb 8 game conference schedule, we're only getting 3 SEC home games. I think we'll start amending our schedule to ensure we're getting extra home games. The 2026 and 2027 seasons are built for that with us now hosting Ohio State and Michigan in back to back years. 

Edit: just looking at Florida's schedule the past few years, 3 away SEC games in 2022. 4 away SEC games in 2021. 4 in 2019, 3 in 2018. Georgia is similar in the years they are host. Funny enough, neither seems to have 4 OOC home games as the annual rivalries don't match up so Florida plays Florida State on the road in years they only have 3 true away games in the SEC. 

Edited by mdmost

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They haven't played in forever, Tennessee has permanent penis envy about "The Real Orange/UT" etc., and we will absolutely and instantly cause them to hate us due to our indifference about their point of view.

The last time I was at the CWS, I met some Tenn fans at a bar the night before we played them.  They seemed genuinely hurt when I referred to them as Fake UT.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What month do y’all anticipate Texas would play piggy? Going back to the SWC years, it looks we’d traditionally play them on the third Saturday in October. Yes there are some notable exceptions like that the 1969 game which was played in December. 

Broyles always wanted, and got, the game the weekend after OU. In no fucking way should that be the case going forward. Frankly, I hope Texas gets a week off every year before playing Arkansas. Texas knows inherently what OU means and they'll be plenty ready to play ATM. I do not think most players at Texas are going to inherently understand that the Arkansas game is jihad-level shit for those hillbillies. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Tomorrow night should be fun. Provided one of the small schools doesn’t leak their schedule in protest, and some Twitter guy uses an algorithm to figure out the entire league schedule. The 2024 Big Ten Schedule came out in Twitter waves. Not as much fun. 

There’s some smoke that Tennessee and Florida want to drop their game. It’s probably coming mostly from Florida. Their preferred 3 is said to be Georgia, LSU, and … South Carolina. Both Florida and South Carolina have approached the league with this request. I get it, easier game against South Carolina. But I’d think the Tennessee game is more valuable to Florida fans, but I appear to be wrong. 

It’d be a shame to lose that game, but if we go to 3-6 and they play every other year, I don’t think anyone will miss it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tomorrow night should be fun. Provided one of the small schools doesn’t leak their schedule in protest, and some Twitter guy uses an algorithm to figure out the entire league schedule. The 2024 Big Ten Schedule came out in Twitter waves. Not as much fun. 

There’s some smoke that Tennessee and Florida want to drop their game. It’s probably coming mostly from Florida. Their preferred 3 is said to be Georgia, LSU, and … South Carolina. Both Florida and South Carolina have approached the league with this request. I get it, easier game against South Carolina. But I’d think the Tennessee game is more valuable to Florida fans, but I appear to be wrong. 

It’d be a shame to lose that game, but if we go to 3-6 and they play every other year, I don’t think anyone will miss it. 

I remember when that game was such a big freaking deal in the 90's and 2000's. It's crazy to think about how irrelevant it's become. Last year was a big one that was a lot of fun, but it's been awhile since that happened. Feels like that, at least.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I remember when that game was such a big freaking deal in the 90's and 2000's. It's crazy to think about how irrelevant it's become. Last year was a big one that was a lot of fun, but it's been awhile since that happened. Feels like that, at least.

Yeah it was big damned deal when Peyton Manning was there. I’d say Florida has more shared history with Tennessee than LSU, but I can’t say I understand the situation very well as an outsider. 

Perhaps some of the thread Gators could explain. 

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember when that game was such a big freaking deal in the 90's and 2000's.

When Peyton Manning announced he’d return for his senior year, he said something to the effect of “I haven’t yet accomplished all of the goals I’ve set for myself”. A reporter mentioned that to Spurrier who said “I guess one of his goals is to be three-time MVP of the Citrus Bowl”….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d imagine most SEC East schools will want Vandy or South Carolina as a “rival” since most will have a bigger name as their true rival.

15 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

When Peyton Manning announced he’d return for his senior year, he said something to the effect of “I haven’t yet accomplished all of the goals I’ve set for myself”. A reporter mentioned that to Spurrier who said “I guess one of his goals is to be three-time MVP of the Citrus Bowl”….

God. Spurrier was a fucking treasure when he was in his prime. He talked shit in every direction and then most of the time his teams would back it up. He ran over Mack Brown repeatedly, then later Bobby Bowden and FSU and Phil Fulmer, Manning, and Tennessee all at the same time. He wrote a letter to Mike Dubose during the Albert Means recruitment in which he told him something to the effect of "we all know what you're doing, you're not going to get away with it, and i'm going to make damned sure of that". 

I used to record and then watch his coaching shows on some obscure Florida cable network during the latter seasons of his time at UF. He would openly talk shit about his own players, opposing players, his coaches, other coaches, other programs. He had non-stop takes.

In one segment, they were reviewing clips from the past week's game and Alex Brown made a play. The cohost said something like "Alex Brown seems to be coming on" and Spurrier said in his classic smart aleck cadence, roughly, "Well, that's what Alex is probably telling folks, no doubt. I don't know, though. I coach him every day and I think there's a big time player in there somewhere, but he hasn't shown up yet. Alex thinks that player has shown up, but I keep looking for him in big games and he's nowhere to be found." The cohost just kind of sat there, squirmed, and moved to the next clip. Alex Brown was a 3 time All-American, btw. 

I'd like to see some of that character in today's game. Leach had it, but he's sadly gone. Can't think of a ton of others. Instead we're left with whiners like Mack Brown, Ryan Day and Saban, douchebags like Lincoln Riley, bible-thumping hypocrites like Venables, Freeze and Swinney, and plain as grits personalities like Rhule, Sarkisian, Kelly, Napier and Smart. I guess there's some entertainment from the tiny hillbilly in College Station, Neon Deion in Boulder, and watching Josh Heupel get orca-fat in Knoxville. Kiffin is a poor man's version of Spurrier, I guess, both in shit-talking and performance. There's always Jim Harbaugh.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, Underdog said:

Plus, depending on length of visit, a daytrip to Louisville or Cincinnati isn't a bad idea for those who've never been to either places. 

Can you visit the papa johns factory where they make all of their racist pepperonis?

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I’d imagine most SEC East schools will want Vandy or South Carolina as a “rival” since most will have a bigger name as their true rival.

Tennessee has a legitimate claim to Vandy as a “rival”. They’ve played well over 100 times and same state.  Next up is Kentucky and Ole Miss, all time match ups are both in the 90s.

If Kirby wasn’t getting bad press right now for player discipline, he’d be campaigning for Vandy as well. Georgia has played them over 80 years times. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tennessee has a legitimate claim to Vandy as a “rival”. They’ve played well over 100 times and same state.  Next up is Kentucky and Ole Miss, all time match ups are both in the 90s.

If Kirby wasn’t getting bad press right now for player discipline, he’d be campaigning for Vandy as well. Georgia has played them over 80 years times. 

Thats great that those 3 are the teams they have played the most but you are not getting those 3 as permanent opponents. Bama for sure and likely Florida, then you can have Kent or Vandy as 3rd. 

i do think Auburn deserves Vandy as a 3 but 1 and 2 are Bama and UGA. 

5 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Thats great that those 3 are the teams they have played the most but you are not getting those 3 as permanent opponents. Bama for sure and likely Florida, then you can have Kent or Vandy as 3rd. 

i do think Auburn deserves Vandy as a 3 but 1 and 2 are Bama and UGA. 

Bama has also played Vandy quite a bit. But Saban is pretty clever, and knows how weak it makes him look to campaign for Vandy. MS State is the next best option. 

Meanwhile, Texas will play 3 teams with blood feuds against us every season. Should be fun, but we’re going to lose a couple games Bama and Georgia won’t. Because scheduling. 

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bama has also played Vandy quite a bit. But Saban is pretty clever, and knows how weak it makes him look to campaign for Vandy. MS State is the next best option. 

Meanwhile, Texas will play 3 teams with blood feuds against us every season. Should be fun, but we’re going to lose a couple games Bama and Georgia won’t. Because scheduling. 

100% accurate. 
just get in the playoffs

2 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

I would think 1 trip to Fayetteville oughta do it.

The first trip to Fayetteville they should make the team go by bus.  That would get the idea across.

Since we never went to Norman, and nobody likes going to college station, Fayetteville was always my favorite road trip. It was just like being on location for Deliverance.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Another Spurrier quote about UTenn, "You can't spell Citrus without UT."

53 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The first trip to Fayetteville they should make the team go by bus.  That would get the idea across.

Since we never went to Norman, and nobody likes going to college station, Fayetteville was always my favorite road trip. It was just like being on location for Deliverance.

I prefer going to games where I don’t get full bottles of beer thrown at my head or confrontations from a 300+ lb GED holding union worker on the way back to my car, but different strokes and all that 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I prefer going to games where I don’t get full bottles of beer thrown at my head or confrontations from a 300+ lb GED holding union worker on the way back to my car, but different strokes and all that 

Columbus, OH

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, SarksJuggs said:

So not only did they give in to that gaping pussy AD in CS….they’re making us go back to Fayetteville AND play Georgia in year 1?

chris farley what the fuck GIF

I figured they’d give into A&M’s request. My only problem is why isn’t Arkansas coming to Austin 

• Hook 'Em 2

Going to aggy I can understand but going to Fayettenam when we just went there is a tad weird. But everyone across the SEC will be somewhat upset with the reveal tonight. I don’t mind playing Georgia. This is what we signed up for. I bet OU gets Florida for sure. A bunch of regional play and then some cross country travel. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)