Buffalo Bills moving to Austin?

TexasMan

Wilco would be my guess.  I could see them pay for a stadium.  And the majority of Austin and it's large suburbs are in the north quadrant.  And a detail of relative minor importance, but still worth mentioning is Bell County abuts Williamson County.  That's nearly 400,000 more folks that are nearby.  Lots of Ft. Hood peeps come to Austin on the reg.

Both counties are full of white trash so the demographics are there for an NFL franchise.
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

My favorite is "let's build a stadium in between Austin and San Antonio so you can get fans from both cities there!"

But isn’t this kind of the situation the Cowboys are in?   I get that Arlington and the Metroplex is a huge population center.   But  the San Antonio and Austin metro areas are not chump change.  And then you throw in the rest of South Texas, you have a population to draw from.

it ain’t happening as San Antonio has been used as bait for the Raiders and New  Orleans to get them new toys. But I don’t know?.. stranger thing happen.   I mean Buffalo is not New Orleans or Vegas…. Kind of an old city like Detroit and Cleveland with limited appeal these days. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

They’re maybe stupid enough to pay for it but they don’t have the money to do so. Up until recently their courthouse was an old HEB. 

Hey, take this shit to the “Is the Hays County courthouse open today?” thread and keep it off the football board…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Grassy Nole said:

San Antonio is that desperate dude on Tinder who constantly swipes right on any chance for a franchise.  Kinda hope they get one eventually

I think the City of San Antonio would jump on the chance to wash its hands of the money losing Alamodome if Bexar County jumped in and offered to float the bonds for a new stadium like they did with At&T or whatever it will be called now.    Where it would go and would they coordinate with UTSA  is the question.   The Alamodome site would make a great baseball stadium site and would be bigger boost for Downtown potentially vs the current situation.  

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

They need to move across the lake to Toronto. 

I'm guessing Canada's recent approach to Covid and what that meant for the Blue Jays would make NFL owners pretty iffy on that move even though yes it makes sense from proximity and population standpoint.  

25 minutes ago, The Grassy Nole said:

San Antonio is that desperate dude on Tinder who constantly swipes right on any chance for a franchise.  Kinda hope they get one eventually

the reason they haven’t gotten one yet isn’t because San Antonio sucks. They have the market for it, other forces are at work and the people with real money here don’t give a shit about expanding because they are cowboy/Texan fans

4 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Let’s get the usual troupes out of the way:

- Austin isn’t big enough
- not enough corporate sponsors
- Cowboys will block it
- Longhorns will block it
- city council will block it
- no good Stadium location

Aggie has a gentleman’s agreement from the NFL that it will happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Its not a coincidence that this comes up just a couple weeks after UT and OU go to the SEC. The NFL commissioner saw that the SEC commissioner had pulled one over on the B12 Commissioner, and was about to pull off the ultimate power move. He could move another NFL team to Birmingham AL, Memphis TN, and some other SEC conference footprint cities to totally stomp on the conference to remind them who is boss.

4 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

- Cowboys will block it

Some of these definitely aren't true anymore, but UT would probably fight it and the Cowboys/Texans absolutely would. No idea on city council but the team could also do like Hays or Blanco County which would put the stadium closer to the San Antonio market too.

34 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think the City of San Antonio would jump on the chance to wash its hands of the money losing Alamodome if Bexar County jumped in and offered to float the bonds for a new stadium like they did with At&T or whatever it will be called now.    Where it would go and would they coordinate with UTSA  is the question.   The Alamodome site would make a great baseball stadium site and would be bigger boost for Downtown potentially vs the current situation.  

I agree, when I lived there always thought that a MLB team in San Antonio would kill it.  Used to go to the games that HEB would put on at the Alamodome, was always a good time.

Edited by The Grassy Nole
Grammar and shit

40 minutes ago, The Grassy Nole said:

I agree, when I lived there always thought that a MLB team in San Antonio would kill it.  Used to go to the games that HEB would put on at the Alamodome, was always a good time.

There are a lot of baseball fans in South Texas who would rather make the quick trip to San Antonio vs Houston to make a weekend of baseball and time in  Downtown or The Pearl.    A 35,000 seat stadium like Petco Park in San Diego would go nicely in the Alamodome foot print.  

Wilco would be my guess.  I could see them pay for a stadium.  And the majority of Austin and it's large suburbs are in the north quadrant.  And a detail of relative minor importance, but still worth mentioning is Bell County abuts Williamson County.  That's nearly 400,000 more folks that are nearby.  Lots of Ft. Hood peeps come to Austin on the reg.
Wilco ain't going to pony up the $2 billion required for a new stadium.

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

San Antonio could easily support a MLB team better than several current franchises.   The Rays and the A’s draw next to nothing for attendance even when they’re really good and they play in shit stadiums.  

Austin is probably better pro sports market than SA now, though.  They both have enough population, and Austin has more money.   The o my counter argument I see is Austin having more people who won’t care about pro sports (like in California) while San Antonio would have a rabid fan base.  But ultimately tech money and corporate sponsorships would probably win out.

The Bills really should move somewhere, whether it’s Texas or not. Buffalo is dead even compared to other rust belt industrial cities.  It makes Cleveland look like Los Angeles.  

Whatever pro sports show an interest in Austin and/or San Antonio, the best way to get this done if the will is there is to do it with a regional approach.   Both Metro areas are so close to merging with each other as it is, so the market needs to be looked that way too.   Somewhere between Austin and San Antonio can be like Arlington is to DFW   waiting for something to be built there.  

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Whatever pro sports show an interest in Austin and/or San Antonio, the best way to get this done if the will is there is to do it with a regional approach.   Both Metro areas are so close to merging with each other as it is, so the market needs to be looked that way too.   Somewhere between Austin and San Antonio can be like Arlington is to DFW   waiting for something to be built there.  

Dallas is much closer to Fort Worth than Austin is to San Antonio. 

This is why an Austin San Antonio airport was never happening, same as an Austin San Antonio sports franchise isn’t gonna happen. Plus I 35 is a traffic nightmare anyway, which just makes the distance even farther.

32 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This is why an Austin San Antonio airport was never happening, same as an Austin San Antonio sports franchise isn’t gonna happen. Plus I 35 is a traffic nightmare anyway, which just makes the distance even farther.

You are probably right about location .   But the market should be treated the same almost as one like the  DFW market because the trends in growth towards each other are unstoppable.   

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm surprised San Antonio hasn't been suggested yet. 

That ship has sailed.  Not saying this is going to happen for reasons already stated above, but Austin has passed San Antonio as the most popular city for expansion/relocation in this state.  More corporate money in the Capital

Edited by Steelers Roll Left
  • Hook 'Em 1

That ship has sailed.  Not saying this is going to happen for reasons already stated above, but Austin has passed San Antonio as the most popular city for expansion/relocation in this state.  More corporate money in the Capital

Yeah H‑E‑B, Bill Miller, and USAA can only go so far, lulz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

- Cowboys will block it

Are you kidding?? The Austin City Counsel would allow development over Barton Springs pool, much less allowing a new sports stadium in some east Austin field if enough promises were made. There’s no real loyalty to Austin of yore by this modern, cali-influenced counsel, No CR.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, The Grassy Nole said:

Not enough money for corporate box seats or advertisers… a ton of fans who’d buy the cheap seats or sit in the parking lot tailgating during the game though.

While it would amuse me to see a franchise even more dysfunctional than the Texans I can't say I would wish this bunch on anyone.

See handling of Jake Eichel.

In a lengthy story on Monday, Tim Graham of The Athletic Buffalo detailed an increasingly “toxic culture” at Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE), Terry and Kim Pegula’s organization that includes the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres, with current and former employees describing the atmosphere within the company.

Hey, take this shit to the “Is the Hays County courthouse open today?” thread and keep it off the football board…
If the Hays county courthouse stocks wasabi almonds, I'm a frequent visitor.

As for the subject of this thread...not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

Texas Bills (or whatever), it could work

Put that shit just SW of Lockhart off the 130 toll.  San Antonio people can get there via I-10, Austin people can get there via 130 or 35.  It could work, and would probably be wildly successful and would help develop and grow the middle cities along 35 (whether that’s good or bad is debatable).

That being said, I hope it doesn’t happen.