Game Week- Louisiana

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

yeah, I agree with your point. Winning this game and Arky is very important for perception and recruiting. If we lose, all the headlines and talk will be about how we paid $1.5 million to lose to ULL, it’s the same old Texas, and Seven Win Steve will start getting used again. We need to win the Arky game badly too since we’re headed to the SEC. it would not be a good look to lose to the last place team in the SEC West. 

Technically Mississippi State was the last place team in the West last season.

But I get your point lol. Seems like both Mississippi schools are getting more preseason pub than Arkansas even though Arkansas beat both last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It's because Diazepam (Valium) and other benzodiazepines [the worst being Xanax (Alprazolam)] shouldn't be prescribed to the masses like candy. They are highly addictive and make it more likely for the olds to get confused and fall. You're better off healthwise not taking those medications especially in the setting of other medical comorbidities such as atrial fibrillation, congestive heart failure, and hypertension. Aside from alcohol detoxification and catatonia in the setting of severe mental illness, there is no clinical benefit to these medications. The newer generation of physicians has been trained against prescribing them.

Benzodiazepines were once thought to be the "cure all" for anxiety, but they lead to  "rebound anxiety", tolerance (needing more for the same effect), and as mentioned before addiction. As benzodiazepines have a depressant effect on the brain, they can cause or worsen clinical depression. It's not a quick fix, but therapy is the long term solution for anxiety.

Agree to disagree. For very short term use in the right situation ,benzos they are helpful to combat symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, and even intractable vomiting. The utility is beyond just DT prophylaxis, DT treatment, or detox. As a seasoned physician, you never throw them out of the playbook. There are very true absolutes in medicine. Yes, there are far superior long term treatments for severe anxiety, such as CBT, biofeedback, SSRIs, counseling, etc, but for severe acute anxiety issues, benzos work very well and are safe when used correctly. It's all about correctly prescribing for the right situation and patient.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I dunno.....it aint like ULaLa is from the frozen North....and their humidity tolerance might be better.....

Your sarcasm meter must be out of warranty.  In no way do I think it's sweet that I'm going to be baking in heat for a 3:30 p.m. game. 

Go fuck yourself some more, FOX.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Agree to disagree. For very short term use in the right situation ,benzos they are helpful to combat symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, and even intractable vomiting. The utility is beyond just DT prophylaxis, DT treatment, or detox. As a seasoned physician, you never throw them out of the playbook. There are very true absolutes in medicine. Yes, there are far superior long term treatments for severe anxiety, such as CBT, biofeedback, SSRIs, counseling, etc, but for severe acute anxiety issues, benzos work very well and are safe when used correctly. It's all about correctly prescribing for the right situation and patient.

Very short term use is the goal, but it rarely ends up being that. And good luck taking something away from a patient once you've given it to them (this presumes treatment in the outpatient setting). The patient will just find another script writer, quite possible a mid-level provider or some unscrupulous physician, to write the benzo for him/her.

I agree that there are no absolutes in medicine, but that class of medications should absolutely be last line. The problem is that historically the pharmaceutical manufacturers would push benzos (and opioids as well) on unsuspecting Family Medicine/Primary Care physicians (PCPs) who did not have proper understanding of these classes of medications or their associated conditions. I am not here to bash on PCPs because they're front line practitioners and referring patients to specialty care (in this case, me in Psychiatry) is still a challenging process. I tip my hat to them for doing their very best to treat those patient concerns to their best of their abilities so that patients do not suffer.

To your example of treating intractable nausea, I freely admit that I have never seen benzodiazepines used as treatment, but that class of medications is not mentioned at all under "Approach to the Adult with Nausea and Vomiting in the Adult" under UpToDate. Personally, I would have gone with Ondansetron, Phenergan, and Metoclopramide in that order before digging through references to find the options of Prochlorperazine and then Erythromycin/Bethanechol at which point I am ordering a GI consult to rule out possible organic pathology as a cause for nausea and vomiting. 

@South Austin, sorry for being Nancy Reagan and ruining your Black Panther Party. I know she's nowhere as fun as your mom.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

God, I hate this so so much. Heat.... plays almost zero role in the outcome of games. It didn't seem to help us when we played Maryland at home mid-day to open the season a few years ago.

This.  I am more worried about my daughter and her family of 4 sitting on the East side staying hydrated and being properly sun blocked.

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

For me personally, the Arkansas game will be the first checkpoint to see if this team has grown up and turned a little corner. I would imagine most kids if not every player on Texas roster has no idea just how deep that hate runs for Texas in Arkansas. That place will be fairly hostile and will probably be the most hostile environment they play in all year excluding the  RRR which is 50/50.

Us leaving the Big 12 is going to amp up the hostility for all our road games (TCU, Baylor, Iowa St, and West Virginia).

Arkansas may still be the worst, but I bet those WVU fans will be hopped up on their "Mountain Dew" when we go over there.

1 minute ago, Bigpoppapump said:

As someone who was prescribed Benzo's at one point, how will this fare with the heat forecast tomorrow and the undersized center?

My prescription to you (charity medical care):

(1) Pre-game (if you partake in such activity), then hydrate

(2) Join the Burnt Ends NIL program

(3) Point at the undersized center and laugh

(4) Profit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Your sarcasm meter must be out of warranty.  In no way do I think it's sweet that I'm going to be baking in heat for a 3:30 p.m. game. 

Go fuck yourself some more, FOX.

Maybe your girlfriend will appreciate your new tan. If not, the Sugar Daddy path is always available.

I just want to take a moment to express appreciation to Satya for making my own doubts seem tame and sane by comparison. If we follow the gameplan, given the comparative rosters, there's no reason Texas shouldn't win by 10 or more. I expressed fear that, based on Texas being snakebit for the last decade, we might not actually follow the gameplan, or would suffer some outrageous key injury, or for whatever reason would just turtle. Likely? Not really, but compared to Satya's self-loathing, it seems, you know, like a reasonable level of nervousness, as opposed to screaming into the void.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, smoky said:

There going to be a flyover tomorrow? The little graphic on texassports.com makes it seem like the blue angels are going to fly out of Hook Em

It would be a baller move for them to come out of the fieldhouse ahead of the team. They should be able to swing that, they're the blue angels. 

Offensively I'd like to see them execute a WR screen. Not sure I've seen it done consistently at Texas ever.

If our offense is mostly passes to stationary receivers behind the line that lose yardage, I will start karate kicking people in the stands, and I won't stop until a tsunami of blood knocks down the Co-op.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Looks like fox took the texas Louisiana game off the 4k lineup. bummer

I'm sure the highlights of our beating the shit out of ULaLa will be something along the lines of, "Thank you for watching CFB on FOX what a great slate of games we had today, oh ...and Texas squeaked out a victory today over the University of Louisiana - LaFayette. Check the scroll at the bottom for the score. Goodnight!"

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It portrays the view of the program right now in general is the point.  He brought up the ranked 7th in the conference in win percentage since 2011, need a strong season overall before going to the SEC. 

don’t they realize when you schedule games with teams like this they get paid regardless it’s part of why these games are scheduled so directional schools in states earn money. It’s common throughout all of college football.