Plundering, pillaging, and ransacking: your resource for looting

Enchubben

Looting after a hurricane...this is newsworthy?  This is the only thing about 2021 that has made sense so far.  

I assume the citizen militia groups will be along any moment now to protect private property during this time of destruction and peril.  

In 45 years of travel and business in Louisiana, I've never figured out how things actually work there.  And I ain't gonna be enlightened today.  

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Two pages until this thread gets moved to the CR.

Probably. Or someone brings up covid and not wearing masks while looting, because heaven forbid we not discuss that with every topic.

Thought this may at least keep it here rather than ruining the hurricane thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There will be tremendous looting, we get it.  My point was it is beyond comprehension about how Louisiana enforces looting laws.  They'll leave entire parishes completely void of law enforcement and then they'll have cops on every corner in certain areas after storms.  They'll respond to certain calls in an instant and other folks will have to fend for themselves for days/weeks.  It's not so much a public safety triage as this weird system they tacitly preserve based on a bunch of shit that I will just never understand.  

You got the Cajun Navy out there bravely saving lives without regard for ethnicity or socio-economic status.  And then when it comes to looting, there's this other system when it comes to NOPD and myriad municipal sheriffs/deputies that rears its ugly head every few years.  Always been weird to me.  I look forward to static camera footage of people stealing shit from drug stores.  I'll be watching rescue footage of folks or guys risking life and limb to restore refinery capacity at places we send crude.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

.  It's not so much a public safety triage as this weird system they tacitly preserve based on a bunch of shit that I will just never understand. 

Near as I’ve been able to understand, a person is either on the inside, or the outside. Us, or them.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Grammar

I am not saying looting isn't happening or certainly won't happen with all the destruction and power expected to be out for weeks. I just understand most of it in this particular case. Not saying it is right. I understand it. Big difference in going into a collapsed store for food vs breaking into a store for non-necessities. JMO. I just haven't seen much on twitter that suggests that the looting which became so iconic during Katrina is happening right now. 

Crash Panicking GIF by South Park

Did the huge drone lift up the ATM and fly it somewhere to be cracked open?  Or was it like a mini drone that could insert a dummy ATM card and nimbly work the keypad until the machine just started spitting out cash?  

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There will be tremendous looting, we get it.  My point was it is beyond comprehension about how Louisiana enforces looting laws.  They'll leave entire parishes completely void of law enforcement and then they'll have cops on every corner in certain areas after storms.  They'll respond to certain calls in an instant and other folks will have to fend for themselves for days/weeks.  It's not so much a public safety triage as this weird system they tacitly preserve based on a bunch of shit that I will just never understand.  

You got the Cajun Navy out there bravely saving lives without regard for ethnicity or socio-economic status.  And then when it comes to looting, there's this other system when it comes to NOPD and myriad municipal sheriffs/deputies that rears its ugly head every few years.  Always been weird to me.  I look forward to static camera footage of people stealing shit from drug stores.  I'll be watching rescue footage of folks or guys risking life and limb to restore refinery capacity at places we send crude.  

When we were down boat-rescuing people during Harvey, the Sheriff’s dept told us that if we were fired upon to fire back without regard, and if we witnessed looting to fire without impunity 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

When we were down boat-rescuing people during Harvey, the Sheriff’s dept told us that if we were fired upon to fire back without regard, and if we witnessed looting to fire without impunity 

First rule of engagement makes perfect sense.  Second one seems a little harsh, but I guess like most things---requires some situational assessment.  If you're fired upon, no time to think, fire back.  If you're slowly boating along (I assume your rescue boat [and thank you for your service] wasn't "suck my wake" from "The Great Outdoors), and you see something that looks like looting, you can hang back and evaluate.  If it's 5 similar-aged guys not apparently related, coming out of a home with a bunch of shit in their arms---that's suspicious as fuck and probably have a weapon at the ready.  If it's 2 folks who could be family coming out of a corner store with several containers of beverages, maybe hang back and call it in. 

I'm sure y'all did a good job at this "looting triage" but that ain't always the case.  I'm a private property rights guy, but I just think about the venue the person is leaving.  If it's a house or a hospital, that's fucked up and get ready to start some shit.  It they're leaving a 7-11 or a coffee shop---who gives a shit?  May as well be looting a Blockbuster Video or a Radio Shack, bunch of low-dollar crap that can be replaced by one truck and an MOU from the insurance adjuster.  Nothing worth shooting people over.  Apples to apples---if a group is carrying a TV out of a Best Buy, I honestly can't bring myself to give a flying fuck.  But if they're carrying it out of a private home, who knows what they had to do to get that TV...who they may have harmed to do it.  A Louisiana man is gonna stand his ground and maybe got beat or worse by this crew.  Nobody is sticking around to guard a fucking Best Buy or CVS in a fucking hurricane. 

But yeah--they start going into homes vacated by folks who evacuated and can't safely get back----------let 'em know your name.  

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Trey, I've been meaning to talk to you about that.  You should find yourself a safe house or a relative close by.  Lay low for awhile because you're probably wanted for murder.  /ronburgundy

Edited by Lobo

Oh, you mean because retarded libs will say it's ok for them to take other people's stuff if they really need it and then angry white men will counter with their own narrative?

lol take your victim complex back to texags. You’re the only person who’s attempted to CR the thread

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you happen to be white.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

The glee with which some people fantasize about shooting someone for stealing someone else’s property is…interesting.

During Harvey, we were north of Bear Creek park going door to door as it was getting dark and came across a small bass boat with 4 guys in it.  They were all strapped up, wearing plate carriers/magazine holders and such.  They seemed to be more on a hunting mission that actually trying to rescue or help anyone, not that anyone could have gotten anyone else in the boat with them.  Kinda weird and eye opening for my son.  We got the hell away from them pretty quick.

• Rage+1 1

Super hard to believe sheriffs deputies would give you absolutely terrible legal advice. Wait. No, it’s perfectly on brand.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, let’s talk strategy.  If I decided to be a looter, not to feed my family, but just to get my loot on, what establishments should I target?  I’m guessing the jewelry stores clear out the store if a big hurricane is inbound.  You can only realistically carry 2 large TVs, not much bang for the buck there.  If I could get my hands on a few cases of the right booze, that might be a good option.  I think I would do my best to locate PlayStations and Xboxes.  Thoughts?

Yeah, precious stones are the easiest way to move large amounts of money in one swoop.  If you know where a narcotics stash house is, grabbing that loot is a great pound for pound reward for effort (not everybody was smart enough to carry their shit away with them).  Small arms, customized electronics and computing parts/devices that you easily carry en masse, rare and collected wines/liquors maybe.  I dunno, it's tough.  If you can only make one or two passes with duffel bags you can swing around your shoulders and easily into a boat/car...it's a tough game.  Shit, a gym bag full of saffron will net you $50k over time.    

The smart ones have already been in and out while the dust settled.  The dumb ones are gonna go after stacks of video games and get shot by some of the hardass special ops guys on this thread.   

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Loot the gun store, so you can shoot back at the bubbas and cowboys roaming around and trying to play hero. 

Best hope the owner of the gun store didn’t decide to stick around and protect his inventory.  The sneaker shop might not be a bad option either.

34 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So, let’s talk strategy.  If I decided to be a looter, not to feed my family, but just to get my loot on, what establishments should I target?  I’m guessing the jewelry stores clear out the store if a big hurricane is inbound.  You can only realistically carry 2 large TVs, not much bang for the buck there.  If I could get my hands on a few cases of the right booze, that might be a good option.  I think I would do my best to locate PlayStations and Xboxes.  Thoughts?

Good fucking luck.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Good fucking luck.

I just wanted to have a theoretical discussion about the best looting strategy.  I have no intention to actually loot.  I also don’t know much about video games, not my thing, but they seem to be in-demand items that aren’t too bulky and cumbersome.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I just wanted to have a theoretical discussion about the best looting strategy.  I have no intention to actually loot.  I also don’t know much about video games, not my thing, but they seem to be in-demand items that aren’t too bulky and cumbersome.

My point was you have to scrap to find that shit online much less in a physical store....so it was a comment on your stategery.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

My point was you have to scrap to find that shit online much less in a physical store....so it was a comment on your stategery.

Appreciate the input.  I know nothing about video games.  I knew they were scarce last Xmas, did not know that was still the case, although it makes sense because everything that requires a computer chip is scarce right now. Never been that interesting to me.  So, if I consider looting a gun store or a drug stash house  (both excellent ideas in the spirit of my question) to be a little high risk for my taste, what’s the next best thing?

Can somebody import that photo of that brunette woman crying that's always used for the '1st world problems' memes?

I just...you know...I just feel like Enchubben really tried.  Like super hard to try and create a safe ecosystem.  And I just feel like...you know.  Like we're not being there for him right now.  He wanted a thread of laughing at poor people taking basic necessities and a few luxury items from Louisiana stores.  And we just...you know.  We just got caught up in our own lives.  And we didn't deliver, we weren't there for him.  If we can't post extra video feeds of people stealing trivial, largely worthless items in the wake of a deadly storm...then how can he call us his brothers?  If you guys would just step up as patriots, we could have a more robust thread.  Instead, it's just "yeah, here's what I would steal but I'm not there.  So in that case, yeah---some people stole some water and a DVD player.  How exciting."  We just let some really key Americans down today and I'm saddened.  If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go pay some drivers extra for taking supplies down that way in our trucks while people count their ammo.  

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

It seems like a pharmacy might have an inventory that commands a good price per volume and mass, although selling it may be riskier than selling some wet Playstations on Craigslist.

Shit you don't even need a hurricane for that. Just roll in there with your crew and have your lady friend fake a seizure while you sneak in the back and grab a bunch of pills.

57 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Shit you don't even need a hurricane for that. Just roll in there with your crew and have your lady friend fake a seizure while you sneak in the back and grab a bunch of pills.

There are much better ways to causes distraction.

2lv.gif