To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

42 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It dont make a shit where they are coming from when you blitz six every fucking third down. You arent fooling anyone and you are leaving your third and fourth string dbs on an island all game. I mean just what in the actual fuck was that. This shit reminds me of the Diaz shit show his last year here.

dbs, haha. THose are the guys blitzing. Ossai is the guy being left on an island.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty sure when Orlando's contract was modified to increase his salary,  it was also extended and guaranteed thru the 2020 season...

Despite this, he can't survive to next year, right?  RIGHT?!  

Fucking terrible.  Texas, where defense goes to die.....but not before giving up almost 600 yards of offense to terrible teams.  FFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKK!

Throw 1.8M a year at Jimmy Lake to come here and fix this defense and secondary. He consistently has some of the best passing defenses in the country, he puts DBs in the league and he runs an attacking 2-4-5 system that would get us away from this 3-man bullshit. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2018/12/100512/film-study-washingtons-star-studded-defense-could-pose-plenty-of-problems-in-pasadena

from that article...

According to those close to the situation, it was Kwiatkowski who approached his boss about making the change, knowing that Lake, then the promising defensive backs coach, would likely land a coordinator job elsewhere.

“I don’t know if it’s ever happened this way,” Kwiatkowski told the Seattle Times, “and at the end of the day I don’t really care. It’s not about my ego and my title. I know I’m a good coach and I know I have a big imprint on this defense. But I’m happy to do it to keep Jimmy around here and keep this thing rolling.”

It's no surprise that Lake was sought-after, after mentoring a slew of NFL-ready defensive backs in his four seasons at UW. Four of Lake's proteges have heard their names called in the first two rounds of the NFL draft, including pro-bowler Marcus Peters.

Since Lake took over the lead role for the entire unit, little has changed from a schematic perspective. The Huskies still run a unique 2-4-5 system that relies heavily on their talented back-seven and rank 12th nationally in yards-allowed-per-game

Up front, the Huskies line up two 300 lb tackles whose job is to eat up double-teams and disrupt blocking schemes. Outside of those big boys are a pair of hybrid end/linebackers who appear more like the kind of stand-up pass rushers you might find in Pittsburgh or Baltimore on Sundays.

191107-780x578.jpg

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1

I like Orlando and have a major appreciation for his first two years here but even in those years we’ve had a crazy deficient Big12-centric approach and this year has been especially abysmal. At this point it would be really hard to make an argument that would support his continued employment at his price range. If it’s all due to the injuries than shit but even then we can hire a guy who can teach young players to step in and cover, tackle... Christ just play basic defense and stop Kansas 3 out of 6 drives when the game is in a crunch.

• Like 1

Throw 1.8M a year at Jimmy Lake to come here and fix this defense and secondary. He consistently has some of the best passing defenses in the country, he puts DBs in the league and he runs an attacking 2-4-5 system that would get us away from this 3-man bullshit. 
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2018/12/100512/film-study-washingtons-star-studded-defense-could-pose-plenty-of-problems-in-pasadena
from that article...
According to those close to the situation, it was Kwiatkowski who approached his boss about making the change, knowing that Lake, then the promising defensive backs coach, would likely land a coordinator job elsewhere.
“I don’t know if it’s ever happened this way,” Kwiatkowski told the Seattle Times, “and at the end of the day I don’t really care. It’s not about my ego and my title. I know I’m a good coach and I know I have a big imprint on this defense. But I’m happy to do it to keep Jimmy around here and keep this thing rolling.”
It's no surprise that Lake was sought-after, after mentoring a slew of NFL-ready defensive backs in his four seasons at UW. Four of Lake's proteges have heard their names called in the first two rounds of the NFL draft, including pro-bowler Marcus Peters.
Since Lake took over the lead role for the entire unit, little has changed from a schematic perspective. The Huskies still run a unique 2-4-5 system that relies heavily on their talented back-seven and rank 12th nationally in yards-allowed-per-game
Up front, the Huskies line up two 300 lb tackles whose job is to eat up double-teams and disrupt blocking schemes. Outside of those big boys are a pair of hybrid end/linebackers who appear more like the kind of stand-up pass rushers you might find in Pittsburgh or Baltimore on Sundays.
191107-780x578.jpg

Right now, Texas can’t field two decent linebackers and you want to swap to a defense that uses four?

Do the players have any confidence in their coaches? I’m guessing the answer is no.

That will destroy a team.

Organizations have Boards that are designed to help senior leadership make strategic decisions and to hold them accountable. Most CEOs have too big of egos to admit leadership is failing its employees, so Boards often have to step in and force changes that otherwise wouldn’t happen.

Who is the group that will hold Tom accountable and force him to make the changes that must be made?

I was ignorantly supporting Orlando before last night because of what he was able to do in 2017 and at times last year....but there are NO excuses for the way we looked last night and our overall regression in tackling. No matter how many injuries we have we shouldn’t give up 48 points to KANSAS at Home. Fire Orlando. It’s not like he’s even that heavily involved as a recruiter, right? At least Beck pulls his weight as a recruiter. What does Orlando even do?

• Like 1

Just now, GTX Horn said:

I was ignorantly supporting Orlando before last night because of what he was able to do in 2017 and at times last year....but there are NO excuses for the way we looked last night and our overall regression in tackling. No matter how many injuries we have we shouldn’t give up 48 points to KANSAS at Home. Fire Orlando. It’s not like he’s even that heavily involved as a recruiter, right? At least Beck pulls his weight as a recruiter. What does Orlando even do?

But I also dont think it is entirely Orlando. Our position coaches are worthless. Even if his scheme was sound (it isnt), it still would work because our players dont know how to do the basics. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

191107-780x578.jpg

Right now, Texas can’t field two decent linebackers and you want to swap to a defense that uses four?

I don't think that's a fair assessment.  I think we have plenty of talent, they're just poorly coached.  The fact that they're best when they're straight out of HS and then take steps backwards after that tells me all I need to know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I wouldn't say I was supporting, but I wasn't complaining either.  At this point, my feeling is who could be worse?

I am also sick of seeing completed passes to receivers without our DBs even getting eyes on the football.  What has happened to our secondary?

• Like 1

My understanding of the Season Strategy was that we planned to score 40+ every time out, so that we could "win with Defense". Looks like it's changed, to score 50+ each game.

Wunna y'all insiders needs to point out to MensaTom that arrogance and condescension are tolerable only as long as the team performs, and that, anent performance, Benny Hill is a schtick, not a performance. Pass that along to MensaTim and MensaTodd.

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Organizations have Boards that are designed to help senior leadership make strategic decisions and to hold them accountable. Most CEOs have too big of egos to admit leadership is failing its employees, so Boards often have to step in and force changes that otherwise wouldn’t happen.

Who is the group that will hold Tom accountable and force him to make the changes that must be made?

Image result for longhorn fan bow tie gif

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I was supporting, but I wasn't complaining either.  At this point, my feeling is who could be worse?
I am also sick of seeing completed passes to receivers without our DBs even getting eyes on the football.  What has happened to our secondary?

Then that raises the issue of if TH nutted up and fired Orlando midseason, who would be in charge of Defense? Naivar and Washington probably wouldn’t be any better

36 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I know one of these people.  He had a wait and see attitude going into OU.  He can't be pleased with yesterday's performance.   I doubt this win will create a hot seat but future losses this year certainly will, if not for TH, certainly for the staff.

Just now, Cap Hooked said:

I think the fact that our 4 and 5 star recruits look like studs their freshman year and then regress every year after that is the only thing you need to look at to see how well they’re being coached. 

And its not like we don't have Juniors and Seniors that have been here 3 years under his system that aren't playing for some reason. If its because they aren't grasping the system better than the "young" guys than that's on him too as the bar is damn low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn said:

Does anyone have a full list of who is out injured on the Defense? I can’t find a complete one on the google

Just look at the roster and check if each player is injured. Or, look at the week 1 depth chart and check if each player is injured.

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

And its not like we don't have Juniors and Seniors that have been here 3 years under his system that aren't playing for some reason. If its because they aren't grasping the system better than the "young" guys than that's on him too as the bar is damn low.

Grasping the system!? What about demonstrating basic fundamentals. Such as tackling technique.

Considering the level of high school football most of the UT players played, after even one year in the UT system, they should be able to demonstrate a basic grasp of football fundamentals.

If the defensive players can't grasp a ball carrier, being able to grasp any system will do them no good.

• Like 3