To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yeah, I don't know what to think.  The Oklahoma game I thought was okay especially considering the opponent and injuries.  I'd say our defense was blase up to that point, but not bad - just good enough to not put tremendous pressure on our offense.  Hell, I thought the defense was doing well for the low expectations I had going into the season.

But vs Kansas we looked highly regarded, that was some really bad football.  And I haven't even rewatched to see how bad it truly was.

Our safety play this year has been really bad.  Like unfathomably bad.  Our LBs in pass coverage have been liabilities, as well.  But, really, it's been safeties just getting absolutely roasted by guys running wide open right past them.

Frankly, we'd probably be better off just going to something like a very simple man scheme from our nickel package with safety help over the top.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

According to Jeff Howe on radio, Kansas knew what Texas was doing on defense pre-snap for almost every play.  That's why Kansas QB was getting ball out so quickly.... Horrible Defense... structurally unsound with no disception.  Looks like all the Texas DL is being asked to do is just catch blocks.  JUST BULLSHIT...

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/10/20/20923836/i-noted-football-idiot-can-spot-todd-orlandos-blitzes-its-not-hard

Tl;dr: Barking Carnival basketball analyst predicts 89 percent of Orlando's blitzes vs Kansas pre snap, 38 percent correct in predicting the specific blitz call.

Great Find @gmr548 

I, Noted Football Idiot, Can Spot Todd Orlando’s Blitzes

By Bitterwhiteguy@Bitterwhiteguy  Oct 20, 2019

There has been much consternation about Todd Orlando’s defense on this site and others, as well as complaints from former players about how obvious & ineffective the pressure tactics are.

I tuned into the last few minutes of the game last night to witness the hell everyone was going through, and it seemed pretty obvious to me - the guy who at best knows 15% as much about football as Scipio Tex - who was blitzing before the ball was snapped. I made a crack about it last night, but today I thought I’d try it on a bigger sample size to see if I was just getting lucky. While I used to watch a lot of football, I watch very little these days; I haven’t watched a NFL game in going on 2.5 years and I rarely watch college football any more. I think I saw 3 Texas games last year and I’ve caught maybe a quarter of one game combined this year. I do learn some things through osmosis as I still go on Texas boards, but my football muscle is definitely atrophied.

So here’s what I did: I turned on the LHN rebroadcast of the Kansas game and watched the Kansas offensive possessions from the first half. Since it’s the two-hour condensed version, I didn’t see all of the plays but it ended up being 20 snaps in total. I’d wait for the defense to get set, then write down if I thought they were blitzing and how many guys I thought were coming. (I was guessing which guys as well, but didn’t write down who because I couldn’t always make out numbers.) I figured I’d get like 20-25% of the blitzes right, tops. I mean, I’m just an average viewer, not a defensive coordinator or former player, right?

I correctly picked if the blitz was coming 17 of 19 times. (One snap I didn’t count because LHN didn’t get back to the play in time.) That’s a 89% hit rate. On the 13 blitzes I saw coming, I got the specific blitzers correct 5 times. That’s a 38% hit rate. And again, I don’t watch football; if I’m able to guess when he’s sending a blitz and have a decent guess on who, I can only imagine what people who do this for a living are pulling off. 

What the hell, Todd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

We are cursed with defensive coordinators who think they need to out-think the offense. 

One of the first plays that Malcolm Roach was in the game after his 1st-half suspension was a 3rd and long. Pass play incoming 90% of the time, which was the case this time. He was lined up on the offense’s right side on the short side of the field. Obvious play is to let our best defensive lineman, who has completely fresh legs, try to get some pressure on the QB right? Nope. We ran a zone blitz with the boundary corner and Roach DROPPED INTO ZONE COVERAGE 10 yards down the field. To no one’s surprise, the KU receiver ran a 15 yard out and caught the pass with no one anywhere close to him.

What the fuck is this shit?

You're not looking at the game within the game, sir. Any spare ass NAIA OC would expect us to let our best pass rusher come after the QB. Todd is on a whole nother level, 5 steps ahead. He knew what they expected and gave them something totally unexpected. It's not his fault the WR ran the wrong route for the defense he had called.

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great Find @gmr548 

There has been much consternation about Todd Orlando’s defense on this site and others, as well as complaints from former players about how obvious & ineffective the pressure tactics are.

I tuned into the last few minutes of the game last night to witness the hell everyone was going through, and it seemed pretty obvious to me - the guy who at best knows 15% as much about football as Scipio Tex - who was blitzing before the ball was snapped. I made a crack about it last night, but today I thought I’d try it on a bigger sample size to see if I was just getting lucky. While I used to watch a lot of football, I watch very little these days; I haven’t watched a NFL game in going on 2.5 years and I rarely watch college football any more. I think I saw 3 Texas games last year and I’ve caught maybe a quarter of one game combined this year. I do learn some things through osmosis as I still go on Texas boards, but my football muscle is definitely atrophied.

So here’s what I did: I turned on the LHN rebroadcast of the Kansas game and watched the Kansas offensive possessions from the first half. Since it’s the two-hour condensed version, I didn’t see all of the plays but it ended up being 20 snaps in total. I’d wait for the defense to get set, then write down if I thought they were blitzing and how many guys I thought were coming. (I was guessing which guys as well, but didn’t write down who because I couldn’t always make out numbers.) I figured I’d get like 20-25% of the blitzes right, tops. I mean, I’m just an average viewer, not a defensive coordinator or former player, right?

I correctly picked if the blitz was coming 17 of 19 times. (One snap I didn’t count because LHN didn’t get back to the play in time.) That’s a 89% hit rate. On the 13 blitzes I saw coming, I got the specific blitzers correct 5 times. That’s a 38% hit rate. And again, I don’t watch football; if I’m able to guess when he’s sending a blitz and have a decent guess on who, I can only imagine what people who do this for a living are pulling off. 

What the hell, Todd.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

According to Jeff Howe on radio, Kansas knew what Texas was doing on defense pre-snap for almost every play.  That's why Kansas QB was getting ball out so quickly....

Horrible Defense... structurally unsound with no disception.  Looks like all the Texas DL is being asked to do is just catch blocks.

JUST BULLSHIT...

If this true, it actually makes me feel better.   I mean any decently competent Coach should be able to quickly fix this, right?  Right?

*goes to cry in the corner*

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Great Find @gmr548 

What the hell, Todd.

By this  headline,  most of Surly's members wives and girlfriends  could pick up the blitzes too.

DAMN  --  WTF is wrong with Todd Orlando??

Thx @satyanash  for Scipio's excellent write-up...

Really highlights Orlando's Shit Show!!!

(Scipio Tex) Texas Postmortem: Defense/Special Teams

Texas edging KU in football 50-48 is slightly less probable than our basketball team edging them by the same score. Checks Shaka's record. Slightly. I've been gauging fan reactions in various media and while I expected the outrage, I was taken off guard by the shock and surprise. Yeah, that was really tough to watch, but if you thought we'd see fundamental assignment football...

image.png

The surprise also hurts my feelings because it means you're not reading my defensive postmortems.

Joking aside, a problem with being early on the analysis of Todd Orlando's defense in 2018 and the carryover into 2019 is that I've moved on to Acceptance while the majority of the fanbase seem to be in a different part of the emotional response curve. I was in Testing before most thought the Texas defense had a fundamental problem. I'm now well into Acceptance. Based on scanning the threads, the fat part of the fan bell curve sits in Anger, Denial and Bargaining. At least Denial and Bargaining are entertaining. So if you were expecting a dramatic postmortem full of fire and brimstone, you're indicating where you are on the curve. I said my piece a long time ago. Go read the other Postmortems. Listen to the EGAT podcast. Or read that little 150 page preview thingy I put out every year.

Texas struggled with every fundamental aspect of defense while allowing 569 yards of offense, 48 points (KU was held under 50 by virtue of two blocked kicks and a missed field goal that took a total of 7 points off of the board, providing the winning margin for Texas) and surrendered the seasonal high water mark of offense for a 2-5 Jayhawk football team that scored a total of 36 points against Indiana State (24) and Coastal Carolina (12). Teams that Kansas split with.

Kansas has improved since playing the Chanticleers and Sycamores and we dare not discount the Brent Dearborn factor. They had a whole bye week to install a new offense! With **RPOs!** Of course, Todd Orlando has had three years at Texas and an entire Spring, August, a bye week, and 8 weeks of this season to work with this current crop and all he has to show for it is his Battleship Bingo call card. 7 games. 7 defenses. This week's base defensive identity was...blitz! That's not a base defense, you cry out. Or...is it? You're not a coach. Unless you are a coach. In which case, you're not the DC at Texas, are you?

Predominantly telegraphed blitzes that began in the San Marcos outlet malls or parts of Hutto, depending on which way the Jayhawk offense was facing. The net result of this '85 Bears bonanza was a sack and four quarterback hits. Kansas converted 12 of 21 on money downs (57.1%) and was 2 for 2 on 4th down and easily converted a 2 point play to take the lead with 1:11 left despite coming into the game in the bottom quartile of FBS in money down offense.

Defensive Line

Good play from both Coburn and Ojomo. Since we don't set the edge and opponents scout, their penetration and wins don't matter because the RB or QB doesn't have to ever cut back inside when deterred by honest-to-God outside shoulder free edge play. If football were more fair, teams wouldn't scout and both teams could just add up their recruiting stars and we'd proclaim the winner based on that.

Roach's blocked PAT (#32 graciously gave the assist to Graham in the postgame) was a turning point in the game. They're now trying to play him on the edge at times in a desperate attempt to get pass rush or containment (haha, just kidding - it's to create interior blitz lanes for our outlet mall blitzers) and one wonders what a lighter, bouncier Roach might be able to do with Precocious Joe Ossai lined up on the other Ossaide.

I don't know how to grade Bimage as he did really well when asked to play edge for us standing up and come down hard on some Pooka runs. When he had to play unassigned honest football, he struggled like the rest. Graham has promise but plays every snap like a guy who has no idea what he's being asked to do. Penetrate? Two gap? Lock out, read, run the to ball? Anchor and eat doubles? I see a hesitant player in a guess-this-week's defense.

Linebacker

Texas started Gbenda inside. He was pulled by the mid 2nd quarter. Adeoye had some physical snaps, but our linebackers were primarily just random Orlando guesses gap blitzing and he was replaced by Ossai and Vaughns in the 2nd half. I'm not sure why.

Juwan Mitchell had a huge hit on Stanley on one of his blitzes. He's a physical dude. Beyond that, he was either attached to Orlando's gap blitz joystick or utterly surprised that Pooka Williams wanted to bounce wide and unsure when and when he didn't have the spill containment assignment. He looks bad on those plays. None of our linebackers ever know this, by the way. Unless it's Joe Ossai, who just instincts up and makes plays.

Vaughns got after it effort wise. I'm assuming he'd have been fine if he and Ossai were paired outside and given some conventional edge assignments that resemble things that long 6-4 240 pound natural pass rushers like to do, but he played as much off ball as on. Less than ideal for a raw RS freshman seeing his first real action. He also doesn't know where to line up sometimes.

Joe Ossai put in his typical great effort playing any of his 37 positions. 8 tackles, multiple impacts in the passing game, blocked field goal, nice QB pressure when employed as a pass rusher. It's like watching Tony Brackens in a Gary Darnell defense. Before we point to injuries as the culprit for this unit, McCullough had been benched before his injury. That was the only personnel difference here. The idea that this defense (or unit) was killing it (or acceptable) pre-injury bug is fantasy.

Defensive Backs

This is how Texas aligned on KU's go ahead 2 point conversion to go up 48-47.

The KU gentleman running unaccompanied behind the squatting Longhorns is an eligible receiver. This is soft zone defense. Very soft. So soft I would like to feel it on my cheek on an autumn day while traipsing through a field of wheat, my hands absentmindedly caressing the stalks like Russell Crowe's hot dead wife in Gladiator when Maximus is bleeding to death on the coliseum floor, with scoreboard on the emperor. KU has 3 receivers in the route. Texas has 7 men in coverage. None are assigned to humans. All are assigned to pieces of artificial grass. So 7 > 3 is immaterial. As always, I blame the players.

D'Shawn Jamison made a playmaker move fielding the ball on the bounce on the blocked PAT. He was otherwise largely terrorized in coverage, including a KU receiver dropping an easy long TD pass. He surrendered an easy TD later when KU tied it at 40 where the receiver had a go in whatever direction he chose. Interesting coverage call. It's interesting to note that we stranded DBs in single coverage for our outlet mall blitzes and KU knew exactly where to go with the ball on multiple occasions. The Jayhawks were very lucky to have QB, routes, and play call aligned so well on so many key downs. Our opponents are extremely good guessers.

Kobe Boyce had three nice plays in limited action. DeMarvion Overshown has great quickness and lateral pursuit as a second line or LOS defender. He stuffed the box score, but was without answers in coverage beyond one PBU. As with Jamison, he was left iso'd far too many times on receivers with multiple way goes. Conceptually, our pass defense was like watching 1 on 1s at a Nike camp.

Anthony Cook was up and down all day, but competed his ass off and had some key PBUs (the 3rd and 10 at 5:28 was terrific). None of our CBs understand that they won't get PIs with contact if they'll get their heads around when the receiver puts their hands up and slows down. IMO, Cook has given us three consecutive weeks of acceptable to good CB play. A crunchy discarded cicada shell of BJ Foster was out there.

Apparently, the current talking point is the reason that the defense collapsed is that Brandon Jones went out at 7:21 in the 4th quarter. Except that KU was averaging 7.5 yards per play at halftime with 277 yards of offense. Pooka was already well over 100 yards rushing at the half. KU had a 75 yard scoring drive on their opening possesion where they went 3 for 3 on third downs. Stop me if any of this is familiar.

While KU scored touchdowns on the two possessions post-Jones, before that, they already had 458 yards and 34 points on the board (minus 7 for their special teams errors). Pooka ran for 190 yards at 7.6 yards per carry. Carter Stanley threw for four touchdowns and had big runs when we kamikaze stunted after Pooka. Let's get real. We were in fundamental breakdown long before Jones go stingered. Long before Kansas, in fact.

It's also worth mentioning that a healthy Jones was stiff armed into the ground by a 175 pound running back in the open field and targeted on three separate KU 3rd down conversions in the passing game. Is he better than a walk-on? Decidedly yes. But is citing his injury as the defense's turning point classic bargaining and denial?

The tackle where Jones sustained his stinger is also a textbook example of how not to tackle. Head down, neck exposed, lunging. He's fortunate that was a 195 pound QB and not a 235 pound low base RB. That could have been a lot worse than a stinger. Might bad tackling be related to our rash of injuries? Like when we see BJ Foster and Brandon Jones tackle face down, neck exposed, lunge, and then get injured?

Special Teams

Kick returns remain an amusing nightmare of indecision and Texas is dead last in FBS in punt returns, but Texas won the game with two kick blocks and Dicker the Kicker.

KU flubbed the blocks inside and Ossai made them pay.

Graham sets the KU blocker and the KU OL fail to collapse down and protect the straightest line to the kicker. Roach gets it.

Ice.

Final

Another bye week is coming after we face a fairly one dimensional TCU offense. If the Texas defensive staff can't move the needle a bit, my advice is for you to move along in your acceptance curve.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

DAMN  --  WTF is wrong with Todd Orlando??

Thx @satyanash  for Scipio's excellent write-up...

Really highlights Orlando's Shit Show!!!

(Scipio Tex) Texas Postmortem: Defense/Special Teams

Texas edging KU in football 50-48 is slightly less probable than our basketball team edging them by the same score. Checks Shaka's record. Slightly. I've been gauging fan reactions in various media and while I expected the outrage, I was taken off guard by the shock and surprise. Yeah, that was really tough to watch, but if you thought we'd see fundamental assignment football...

image.png

The surprise also hurts my feelings because it means you're not reading my defensive postmortems.

Joking aside, a problem with being early on the analysis of Todd Orlando's defense in 2018 and the carryover into 2019 is that I've moved on to Acceptance while the majority of the fanbase seem to be in a different part of the emotional response curve. I was in Testing before most thought the Texas defense had a fundamental problem. I'm now well into Acceptance. Based on scanning the threads, the fat part of the fan bell curve sits in Anger, Denial and Bargaining. At least Denial and Bargaining are entertaining. So if you were expecting a dramatic postmortem full of fire and brimstone, you're indicating where you are on the curve. I said my piece a long time ago. Go read the other Postmortems. Listen to the EGAT podcast. Or read that little 150 page preview thingy I put out every year.

Texas struggled with every fundamental aspect of defense while allowing 569 yards of offense, 48 points (KU was held under 50 by virtue of two blocked kicks and a missed field goal that took a total of 7 points off of the board, providing the winning margin for Texas) and surrendered the seasonal high water mark of offense for a 2-5 Jayhawk football team that scored a total of 36 points against Indiana State (24) and Coastal Carolina (12). Teams that Kansas split with.

Kansas has improved since playing the Chanticleers and Sycamores and we dare not discount the Brent Dearborn factor. They had a whole bye week to install a new offense! With **RPOs!** Of course, Todd Orlando has had three years at Texas and an entire Spring, August, a bye week, and 8 weeks of this season to work with this current crop and all he has to show for it is his Battleship Bingo call card. 7 games. 7 defenses. This week's base defensive identity was...blitz! That's not a base defense, you cry out. Or...is it? You're not a coach. Unless you are a coach. In which case, you're not the DC at Texas, are you?

Predominantly telegraphed blitzes that began in the San Marcos outlet malls or parts of Hutto, depending on which way the Jayhawk offense was facing. The net result of this '85 Bears bonanza was a sack and four quarterback hits. Kansas converted 12 of 21 on money downs (57.1%) and was 2 for 2 on 4th down and easily converted a 2 point play to take the lead with 1:11 left despite coming into the game in the bottom quartile of FBS in money down offense.

Defensive Line

Good play from both Coburn and Ojomo. Since we don't set the edge and opponents scout, their penetration and wins don't matter because the RB or QB doesn't have to ever cut back inside when deterred by honest-to-God outside shoulder free edge play. If football were more fair, teams wouldn't scout and both teams could just add up their recruiting stars and we'd proclaim the winner based on that.

Roach's blocked PAT (#32 graciously gave the assist to Graham in the postgame) was a turning point in the game. They're now trying to play him on the edge at times in a desperate attempt to get pass rush or containment (haha, just kidding - it's to create interior blitz lanes for our outlet mall blitzers) and one wonders what a lighter, bouncier Roach might be able to do with Precocious Joe Ossai lined up on the other Ossaide.

I don't know how to grade Bimage as he did really well when asked to play edge for us standing up and come down hard on some Pooka runs. When he had to play unassigned honest football, he struggled like the rest. Graham has promise but plays every snap like a guy who has no idea what he's being asked to do. Penetrate? Two gap? Lock out, read, run the to ball? Anchor and eat doubles? I see a hesitant player in a guess-this-week's defense.

Linebacker

Texas started Gbenda inside. He was pulled by the mid 2nd quarter. Adeoye had some physical snaps, but our linebackers were primarily just random Orlando guesses gap blitzing and he was replaced by Ossai and Vaughns in the 2nd half. I'm not sure why.

Juwan Mitchell had a huge hit on Stanley on one of his blitzes. He's a physical dude. Beyond that, he was either attached to Orlando's gap blitz joystick or utterly surprised that Pooka Williams wanted to bounce wide and unsure when and when he didn't have the spill containment assignment. He looks bad on those plays. None of our linebackers ever know this, by the way. Unless it's Joe Ossai, who just instincts up and makes plays.

Vaughns got after it effort wise. I'm assuming he'd have been fine if he and Ossai were paired outside and given some conventional edge assignments that resemble things that long 6-4 240 pound natural pass rushers like to do, but he played as much off ball as on. Less than ideal for a raw RS freshman seeing his first real action. He also doesn't know where to line up sometimes.

Joe Ossai put in his typical great effort playing any of his 37 positions. 8 tackles, multiple impacts in the passing game, blocked field goal, nice QB pressure when employed as a pass rusher. It's like watching Tony Brackens in a Gary Darnell defense. Before we point to injuries as the culprit for this unit, McCullough had been benched before his injury. That was the only personnel difference here. The idea that this defense (or unit) was killing it (or acceptable) pre-injury bug is fantasy.

Defensive Backs

This is how Texas aligned on KU's go ahead 2 point conversion to go up 48-47.

The KU gentleman running unaccompanied behind the squatting Longhorns is an eligible receiver. This is soft zone defense. Very soft. So soft I would like to feel it on my cheek on an autumn day while traipsing through a field of wheat, my hands absentmindedly caressing the stalks like Russell Crowe's hot dead wife in Gladiator when Maximus is bleeding to death on the coliseum floor, with scoreboard on the emperor. KU has 3 receivers in the route. Texas has 7 men in coverage. None are assigned to humans. All are assigned to pieces of artificial grass. So 7 > 3 is immaterial. As always, I blame the players.

D'Shawn Jamison made a playmaker move fielding the ball on the bounce on the blocked PAT. He was otherwise largely terrorized in coverage, including a KU receiver dropping an easy long TD pass. He surrendered an easy TD later when KU tied it at 40 where the receiver had a go in whatever direction he chose. Interesting coverage call. It's interesting to note that we stranded DBs in single coverage for our outlet mall blitzes and KU knew exactly where to go with the ball on multiple occasions. The Jayhawks were very lucky to have QB, routes, and play call aligned so well on so many key downs. Our opponents are extremely good guessers.

Kobe Boyce had three nice plays in limited action. DeMarvion Overshown has great quickness and lateral pursuit as a second line or LOS defender. He stuffed the box score, but was without answers in coverage beyond one PBU. As with Jamison, he was left iso'd far too many times on receivers with multiple way goes. Conceptually, our pass defense was like watching 1 on 1s at a Nike camp.

Anthony Cook was up and down all day, but competed his ass off and had some key PBUs (the 3rd and 10 at 5:28 was terrific). None of our CBs understand that they won't get PIs with contact if they'll get their heads around when the receiver puts their hands up and slows down. IMO, Cook has given us three consecutive weeks of acceptable to good CB play. A crunchy discarded cicada shell of BJ Foster was out there.

Apparently, the current talking point is the reason that the defense collapsed is that Brandon Jones went out at 7:21 in the 4th quarter. Except that KU was averaging 7.5 yards per play at halftime with 277 yards of offense. Pooka was already well over 100 yards rushing at the half. KU had a 75 yard scoring drive on their opening possesion where they went 3 for 3 on third downs. Stop me if any of this is familiar.

While KU scored touchdowns on the two possessions post-Jones, before that, they already had 458 yards and 34 points on the board (minus 7 for their special teams errors). Pooka ran for 190 yards at 7.6 yards per carry. Carter Stanley threw for four touchdowns and had big runs when we kamikaze stunted after Pooka. Let's get real. We were in fundamental breakdown long before Jones go stingered. Long before Kansas, in fact.

It's also worth mentioning that a healthy Jones was stiff armed into the ground by a 175 pound running back in the open field and targeted on three separate KU 3rd down conversions in the passing game. Is he better than a walk-on? Decidedly yes. But is citing his injury as the defense's turning point classic bargaining and denial?

The tackle where Jones sustained his stinger is also a textbook example of how not to tackle. Head down, neck exposed, lunging. He's fortunate that was a 195 pound QB and not a 235 pound low base RB. That could have been a lot worse than a stinger. Might bad tackling be related to our rash of injuries? Like when we see BJ Foster and Brandon Jones tackle face down, neck exposed, lunge, and then get injured?

Special Teams

Kick returns remain an amusing nightmare of indecision and Texas is dead last in FBS in punt returns, but Texas won the game with two kick blocks and Dicker the Kicker.

KU flubbed the blocks inside and Ossai made them pay.

Graham sets the KU blocker and the KU OL fail to collapse down and protect the straightest line to the kicker. Roach gets it.

Ice.

Final

Another bye week is coming after we face a fairly one dimensional TCU offense. If the Texas defensive staff can't move the needle a bit, my advice is for you to move along in your acceptance curve.

The shot of us dropping 7 against the 2 point conversion is difficult to fathom. There isn’t a single player on the defense that knows what they are supposed to do.

• Haha 1

when it gets this bad rarely does a coach survive and get back to very good.  sometimes it can get back to mediocre.  Todd Orlando is dead DC walking unless Herman is going to be happy with mediocre and Herman knows it.  He can become Tech by outscoring bad opponents and cratering(most of the time) against good ones

It all depends on whether Herman wants to be known as one of the best at Texas or just another coach we had to fire after 5 years.

57 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The shot of us dropping 7 against the 2 point conversion is difficult to fathom. There isn’t a single player on the defense that knows what they are supposed to do.

Defensive players not understanding their assignments, and the lack of player development on Defense is inexcusable...

On 10/20/2019 at 8:32 PM, Neonmoon said:

Who runs it successfully other than Iowa State? 
but the answer is coaching 

Wisconsin, LSU, Bama, and UGA all use it. A lot of really good defense from the last few years use a ton of 3 tite. It’s not a bad scheme, and it has some definite strengths against spread offenses. It has its weaknesses too, just like any other scheme. We’re just watching the scheme be horribly coached and called.

Scheme/formation gets way too overrated by people. If you’re coached well, just about any scheme will look good. If you’re coached poorly, any scheme will look bad. 

On 10/20/2019 at 9:47 PM, longhornmatt said:

Multiple fronts and 3 man defensive lines are not the same thing as the 3 tite with both DEs playing 4i and no LB on the LOS as an edge defender.  Not everyone runs the 3 tite, especially as a play after play base defense.

The idea that our version of it is somehow a Big 12 spread buster is especially laughable since all our scheme is good for is stopping a 1992 I formation offense that runs straight up the middle with only the tailback being a threat to get the ball, and that has the QB take a 7 step drop from under center so a long ass delayed blitz might actually have time to get there.  We will probably fuck Kansas State up and get pantsed by every other offense in the Big 12.

Pretty much every single 3-4 defense has their DEs line up at a 4i shade. The distinction is that traditional 3 man fronts had all3 DL responsible for two gaps, whereas the 3 tite has each DE take care of the B gap, with the nose and an ILB covering the 2 A gaps.

3 tite also doesn’t necessitate not having a LB on the LOS. Most other teams, and even Orlando before he got to UT, do have a full time B-backer who plays primarily as an edge defender. Orlando should have gone back to this, IMO. 

The point of 3 tite is to control the A and B gaps to kill inside zone, which is a spread staple, so that teams couldn’t spread you out to run as effectively.  We did this brilliantly in 2017 and had one of the best defenses in the country and may have had the best defense against spread offenses in the whole country that year. What we did against USC, Ok St, OU, Mizzou, etc. was really damn impressive. 

Since 2017, teams have made tweaks that a good DC could counter, but Orlando hasn’t figured out how to counter teams’ changes and is now so lost that the defense is a complete and total mess with no identity.

A lot of teams have actually ditched 4 wide against because the 3 tite seems to get even better the more you spread the offense out and they’ve gone to adding heavier personnel to get better leverage/angles in the run game. OU and even KU did that to us. At this point, our defense is so poorly coached that we can’t even properly react pre-snap to motion and we’re just giving teams leverage before the snap. Not all defenses running the 3 tite have that problem.

anyways, I really don’t care what scheme our next DC uses, and I’d be fine with getting a new DC who uses 3 tite as long as he’s a good coach, but I doubt we’d go with a 3 tite DC just because coaching changes often result in hiring the opposite of the outgoing coach.

But acting like the 3 tite is a horrible scheme that could never work obfuscates the foundational issues with our defense. Plenty of good coaches make the 3 tite work extremely well. The other reason scheme isn’t that important is that even schemes that work well get figured out quickly by all the great offensive minds in the Big 12. Orlando killed it in 2017, then guys figured him out and he’s been lost trying to adjust for two straight years now. Having consistent success in the Big 12 as a DC is really fucking difficult.

It’s why I’m interested in Bateman as a DC, even though his resume isn’t quite as impressive as others. He seems to be a thought leader in countering spreads and strikes me as a guy who’s a forward thinker that would be able to counter offensive adjustments made by B12 coaches. 

• Like 9

Pretty much every single 3-4 defense has their DEs line up at a 4i shade. The distinction is that traditional 3 man fronts had all3 DL responsible for two gaps, whereas the 3 tite has each DE take care of the B gap, with the nose and an ILB covering the 2 A gaps.
3 tite also doesn’t necessitate not having a LB on the LOS. Most other teams, and even Orlando before he got to UT, do have a full time B-backer who plays primarily as an edge defender. Orlando should have gone back to this, IMO. 
The point of 3 tite is to control the A and B gaps to kill inside zone, which is a spread staple, so that teams couldn’t spread you out to run as effectively.  We did this brilliantly in 2017 and had one of the best defenses in the country and may have had the best defense against spread offenses in the whole country that year. What we did against USC, Ok St, OU, Mizzou, etc. was really damn impressive. 

Since 2017, teams have made tweaks that a good DC could counter, but Orlando hasn’t figured out how to counter teams’ changes and is now so lost that the defense is a complete and total mess with no identity.
A lot of teams have actually ditched 4 wide against because the 3 tite seems to get even better the more you spread the offense out and they’ve gone to adding heavier personnel to get better leverage/angles in the run game. OU and even KU did that to us. At this point, our defense is so poorly coached that we can’t even properly react pre-snap to motion and we’re just giving teams leverage before the snap. Not all defenses running the 3 tite have that problem.

anyways, I really don’t care what scheme our next DC uses, and I’d be fine with getting a new DC who uses 3 tite as long as he’s a good coach, but I doubt we’d go with a 3 tite DC just because coaching changes often result in hiring the opposite of the outgoing coach.
But acting like the 3 tite is a horrible scheme that could never work obfuscates the foundational issues with our defense. Plenty of good coaches make the 3 tite work extremely well. The other reason scheme isn’t that important is that even schemes that work well get figured out quickly by all the great offensive minds in the Big 12. Orlando killed it in 2017, then guys figured him out and he’s been lost trying to adjust for two straight years now. Having consistent success in the Big 12 as a DC is really fucking difficult.
It’s why I’m interested in Bateman as a DC, even though his resume isn’t quite as impressive as others. He seems to be a thought leader in countering spreads and strikes me as a guy who’s a forward thinker that would be able to counter offensive adjustments made by B12 coaches. 

34f7a4e23dd1cef587bbc452a2ae2492.jpg
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wisconsin, LSU, Bama, and UGA all use it. A lot of really good defense from the last few years use a ton of 3 tite. It’s not a bad scheme, and it has some definite strengths against spread offenses. It has its weaknesses too, just like any other scheme. We’re just watching the scheme be horribly coached and called.

Scheme/formation gets way too overrated by people. If you’re coached well, just about any scheme will look good. If you’re coached poorly, any scheme will look bad. 

It seems that even if Orlando can't figure it out with a co-dc in Navier and assistants, QC analysts somebody could have an idea to offer up on sound defense.  

The more I think about it, the more ludicrous it gets. We have a defense that is clearly struggling. They're not playing with confidence and they're not reacting instinctively. So what is Todd Orlando's solution to that situation?

He drops Joseph Ossai into pass coverage while blitzing Montrell Estell from 10 yards deep to be an extra pass rusher. And he does it over and over again.

What. The. Fuck. Not only is it just plain stupid football, but it's really fucking stupid football when your players are struggling with confidence and execution to ask your players not to do what they're good at doing and instead do something they're not as good at doing. I don't know, what about maybe using your best pass rusher to rush the passer? What about maybe using your defensive backs to cover receivers? I'm just spitballing here.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The more I think about it, the more ludicrous it gets. We have a defense that is clearly struggling. They're not playing with confidence and they're not reacting instinctively. So what is Todd Orlando's solution to that situation?

He drops Joseph Ossai into pass coverage while blitzing Montrell Estell from 10 yards deep to be an extra pass rusher. And he does it over and over again.

What. The. Fuck. Not only is it just plain stupid football, but it's really fucking stupid football when your players are struggling with confidence and execution to ask your players not to do what they're good at doing and instead do something they're not as good at doing. I don't know, what about maybe using your best pass rusher to rush the passer? What about maybe using your defensive backs to cover receivers? I'm just spitballing here.

Yep. His refusal to put his players in their best roles and simultaneously simplify the defense is truly astounding.  He talked about simplifying the defense and focusing on tackling this week and then did the exact opposite.

At least last year when he realized his defense was completely broken, he simplified things and turned in 4 solid performances in a row to end the season.  We only played one true spread offense during that time, but even then, we played OU’s offense very well in the B12 title game and held them to one of their worst outputs of the season, along with the Bama game. Having your defense be completely broken two years in a row is already deserving of being fired, but then responding the way he did against Kansas defies all reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

our self scouting must be horrible. and yes 3 tite is a scheme which can be run to success. We can not run with our current personnel(even before the season started, as shown in most of our games even pre injury bug) and we sucked at it last year as well.  you have to be able to adjust.  Orlando can't or won't.  you are playing kansas.  simplify, play gap sound.  our best positions on the field at this point are DL and one backer. figure out a way to utillize those.  we can't have safeties and crappy LB's trying to set the edge. I'm not saying run the 46 but for christ sake adjust!

I think the 70 yard run by pookie was straight up the gut. if we give that up what the fuck are we doing.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Ian Boyd kind of addressed this. Basically, we can't play a sound base defense so we have to resort to boom-or-bust blitzes.

Quick thought no. 1: The defense is broken

When this unit needs to play sound, base defense and gets stops they can't really do it. What stops Texas did get in this game tended to come from successful blitzes that put Kansas behind the chains or finished off third downs. Normally it was the former as the Jayhawks were 10-19 on third down in this game and also went 2-2 on fourth down and found a receiver wide open in the end zone against drop 8, double cloud coverage on their two point conversion attempt.

The fact that Texas is incapable of playing sound base defense to save their lives has been the growing concern every single week this season. There was hope it wouldn't matter as much against Oklahoma, who seemed vulnerable to a pressure package, but Texas didn't attack the Oklahoma protections even as well as they attacked the Jayhawks tonight.

Kansas torched Texas in the first half running two-back zone-read and Texas was able to adjust in the second half with some of their insider-backer blitzes executed with great timing by Juwan Mitchell. But there remain a lack of answers in the playbook for good passing and Carter Stanley carried Kansas down the stretch with several big passes completed thanks to fantastic efforts by the Jayhawk receivers. All told the Jayhawks dropped 569 yards of offense.

This is a better Kansas offense than we've seen in previous seasons, much improved. Even a loss wouldn't have been quite the same as losing to the David Beaty squad that took down Charlie Strong's Longhorns back in 2016, but the defensive performance was still spectacularly putrid. The problem with this defense wasn't a lack of focus on tackling in practice, although that probably didn't help. The problem with this defense is that they don't have any identity other than launching boom or bust blitzes that can't save them against an effective passing game.

Edited by satyanash

Made mistake of re-watching some of Kansas game. At 1:09 left in second quarter on the long Pooka TD run...

Watch the full back. He steps out of the way so as not to impede/touch our DE when he knows they are running that way.. then stands there...I mean stands there and while doing so takes out both our safeties.... and then watches as our CB and LB forget how to tackle...

Coach New Potato sure does squint a lot when the cameras pick him up on the sidelines. Maybe he has vision problems and cannot tell who or which unit is on the field, just trying to make sense of the decomposing vomit on the field.

spacer.png

Opposing teams must be in a quandary trying to figure out whether to whether to abuse our pass defense or rush defense. So many choices.

Edited by El Squared

2 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Coach New Potato sure does squint a lot when the cameras pick him up on the sidelines. Maybe he has vision problems and cannot tell who or which unit is on the field, just trying to make sense of the decomposing vomit on the field.

spacer.png

I agree, the way he squints is ridiculous.  He can't see right.  Not that I think it would help if he could.

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

Made mistake of re-watching some of Kansas game. At 1:09 left in second quarter on the long Pooka TD run...
Watch the full back. He steps out of the way so as not to impede/touch our DE when he knows they are running that way.. then stands there...I mean stands there and while doing so takes out both our safeties.... and then watches as our CB and LB forget how to tackle...

1:05:40 in the video

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The more I think about it, Orlando should have been fired in the locker room after the game. You don’t put out that kind of performance and keep your job. 

herman has no back up plan.  he's all in on the injury excuse for Orlando this year.

the off-the-field aspect could be bigger than anyone knows.

the ability to teach and motivate 18-21yr olds requires a bit of humble approach-ability, which former players have said some current coaches lack. I remember one player said the coaches don't say hello in the halls, and act as if their shit doesn't stink. There is a good chance orlando already lost the players.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

38 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

this is great play design.  these new age OC's are using false steps to influence D players key reading and gaining leverage or numbers by not even having to block people. that play "looks" like pookie bounced it outside but the reality is it was going outside from the get go.  OU did the same thing to Roach on the first play from scrimmage with the pulling OL.

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

We have the only 3 man front I've see that plays so close together. And often we are shifted to one side of the line. So we are either all inside the tackles or inside the guard on one side. Our 3 man front gives up at least one if not both edges from the start.

It was unreal how many unbalanced lines Kansas lined up in and then motioned towards their imbalance and we didn't shift with them and at snap were already outnumbered.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, horngasm2020 said:

the off-the-field aspect could be bigger than anyone knows.

the ability to teach and motivate 18-21yr olds requires a bit of humble approach-ability, which former players have said some current coaches lack. I remember one player said the coaches don't say hello in the halls, and act as if their shit doesn't stink. There is a good chance orlando already lost the players.

giphy.gif

I wish I had footage to GIF, but I swear on at least 1 or 2 of the blitzes from Africa, I noticed a player practically jogging. Maybe he was spying the QB or some shit, but to me it looked like he was so certain the blitz was going to fail, that he was just trying not to run himself out of the play.