To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I just want to re-post the fact that Orlando called a 3 man rush on a 2 point conversion. Think about that for a second. No pressure on the QB to force a rushed throw or a mistake. Just all the time in the world to find a receiver in the back of the end zone. And he didn’t have to take any time anyway. Think about that. 8 men in coverage and still easily found a receiver. Ridiculous.

this x1000.  my jaw was hanging open.  you only have to defend 13 yards of the field and there was no one within 20 feet.   absolute incompetence.  indefensible.

if therm wants to run a friends and family program then he needs to donate half his salary to the foundation scholarship fund.

otherwise, get ruthless or gtfo.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this x1000.  my jaw was hanging open.  you only have to defend 13 yards of the field and there was no one within 20 feet.   absolute incompetence.  indefensible.

if therm wants to run a friends and family program then he needs to donate half his salary to the foundation scholarship fund.

otherwise, get ruthless or gtfo.

It would have been the same result had we sent more than 3. The defense needs to be rebuilt from the ground up because no one knows wtf is going on.

The crazy part is that this is his third year here.

Exactly, no one know what they are doing. This hybrid mindset has Infested the defense so thoroughly that every player is seemingly conflicted as to what their actual role is. I mean when you have Alignments that put LBs like Ossai in man coverage on WRs like Ceedee Lamb, there is something wrong. I remember when we had defensive calls that put Omenihu in zone coverage...like wtf that guy should be going to the QB every snap.

i have no faith in the defense or the coaches at this point. They fail to have an understanding of key reads, can’t make adjustments and the blitzes are about the worst I’ve ever seen. Never mind the fact that no one can tackle. It’s crazy how the defense has no identity at all. We aren’t good at any one thing that I can think of. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

Does anyone have a full list of who is out injured on the Defense? I can’t find a complete one on the google

Tons of top men.

But it doesn't matter.

When 100% of DBs have their arms below their shoulders, facing away from the ball as it arrives, regardless of their position on the depth chart, injuries don't matter.

Our secondary is being coached to play Robotron Coverage.

We haven't gotten pressure on any QB without blitzing regardless of injuries or the opponent.

We're 2.5 years in.  Injuries are no excuse.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Does anyone know who was in man coverage on the wide receiver for Kansas on 3rd and goal that caught the TD to go up 17-14?

#31, DeMarvion Overshown. We blitzed, Foster went wide with the RB so the middle of the field was empty and Overshown lost on an inside move.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

#31, DeMarvion Overshown. We blitzed, Foster went wide with the RB so the middle of the field was empty and Overshown lost on an inside move.

Thank you. That was painful to watch. He just stood there on the break, by the time the receiver caught the ball there was 5 yards of separation and he was still stuck where the receiver made his break. 

I"m not letting Orlando off the hook but let's not overlook the impact of replacing almost all our starters from last year, plus having an absolute mash unit on defense. There's a reason Vegas wasn't giving us respect before the season, and the injuries have made it exponentially worse.

That said, the missed tackles and penalties are completely inexcusable. And the pass coverage is a joke even for inexperienced backups.

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

If we are really about getting our best 11 on the field, they can’t say that doesn’t involve 4 DL now.

This. If we were willing to play 8 DBs to get our best players on the field, we should be willing to play 4 DL.

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Grasping the system!? What about demonstrating basic fundamentals. Such as tackling technique.

Considering the level of high school football most of the UT players played, after even one year in the UT system, they should be able to demonstrate a basic grasp of football fundamentals.

If the defensive players can't grasp a ball carrier, being able to grasp any system will do them no good.

This!   There is absolutely no excuse to not have a two deep for which any member could start for any top program in the nation.  This includes not forgetting the basics of Football 101 which you learn going back to middle school.

The execution of basic fundamentals reminds me so much of the lack of accountability during the end of Mack’s tenure.  We had a number of guys come in here.   They were told “We’re Texas” and then proceeded to rest on their four or five star ratings and the shit product was for all to see.  It’s Manny Diaz part II.   

53 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I"m not letting Orlando off the hook but let's not overlook the impact of replacing almost all our starters from last year, plus having an absolute mash unit on defense. There's a reason Vegas wasn't giving us respect before the season, and the injuries have made it exponentially worse.

That said, the missed tackles and penalties are completely inexcusable. And the pass coverage is a joke even for inexperienced backups.

Lulz, the defense looked this bad last year too. That's the issue. This isn't just something that happened this year because of injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Does anyone know who was in man coverage on the wide receiver for Kansas on 3rd and goal that caught the TD to go up 17-14?

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Thank you. That was painful to watch. He just stood there on the break, by the time the receiver caught the ball there was 5 yards of separation and he was still stuck where the receiver made his break. 

Asking Overshown to win a footwork battle with a slot receiver is coaching malfeasance. If you're going to stupidly call a defense that has him manning up on a slot then he needs to know he's in press coverage to use his advantage (length and strength) instead of playing 5 yards off. Especially on the goal line. 

Just one more instance of stupid football by this team. It's like Strong is back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Roughly 100% of people on here said the defense would be better this year because all our graduating seniors sucked anyway.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Armypilot said:

Fired him after we whipped their ass last year right?  

At any rate I think we are out of excuses for our coordinators.  They have had a chance and it’s not impressive 

OU outgained Texas last year 532 - 501 yards, lost 45-48 and fired Mike Stoops next morning.

OU outgained Texas this year 511 - 310 yards, won 34-27 and everyone at Texas is still employed, fat and happy.

Any chances we "simplify" the defense like we did under and Gerg and play better?  3 down linemen, blitzing (and yet never getting to the QB) and leaving cavernous gaps in the secondary aint cutting it.  I'm afraid Herman and Orlando's solution will be gentle tweaks and refocus on tackling, as if getting 5% more out of your defense will make a substantial difference.  Really the whole defensive scheme needs to be reevaluated.  

• Like 1

Fire TO, promote Naiver and promote one of our Defense analyst...oh wait.

Coach Herman has a lot of maturing to do, much more so than I was willing to admit when he was hired. He's shown some real weaknesses when evaluating he and his staff.

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Everything is going to be fine. Orlando is spinning up a head spinning defensive alignment that will have the Frog’s head spinning. He’s going to the 3 man cloud coverage on punts and kick-offs.

He's going to have every head with eyeballs on that game spinning.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Texas defense is now #119 out of 130 in FBS. The only power-5 teams ranked lower are Kansas and Colorado. 

$1.7M 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3

Maybe instead of 150 above the longhorn on the helmet it could display our defensive ranking. 

Actually, that plus fire Todd Orlando would make a nice shirt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

$50 says Herman keeps him on at season's end.  He doesn't get a raise, but his but overall deferred defined comp. and transportation allowance both increase, resulting in an NPV increase of about $200,000 in current pay.  And we'll all celebrate Herman's decision because "culture."  

Everything is going to be fine. Orlando is spinning up a head spinning defensive alignment that will have the Frog’s head spinning. He’s going to the 3 man cloud coverage on punts and kick-offs.

Lol @ the idea of anyone punting vs this defense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fire TO, promote Naiver and promote one of our Defense analyst...oh wait.
Coach Herman has a lot of maturing to do, much more so than I was willing to admit when he was hired. He's shown some real weaknesses when evaluating he and his staff.
it's like he learned from fupm.

nope it's gonna be like Penn and Teller visit Letterman.

https://youtu.be/uBRETpVkhNk

watch this ^^ one first. watch to the end.

the backstory

Mensa really needs to get these two, Penn and Teller, to help with the coaching.