Liberty Institute at the University of Texas at Austin

Eskimohorn

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I assume by limited government they are referring to one that completely controls with whom, what, where, and how you can have sex, marry, drink, eat, or get pregnant

Well, that ain't "government."  That's "fulfilling the word of God."*

see, what we mean by "limited government" is zero regulation or oversight to ensure things like reliable electric power, safe drinking water, or any of that commie  bullshit.

* Fundagelical version only.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, BrickHorn said:

I’ve been seated comfortably in a lounge chair on The Lanai of misanthropy for years, so I find the inherent stupidity and self-delusion required to launch a government-funded center for advocating limited government irresistibly hilarious. 

FINALLY! Someone has distinguished where I am! Let brisket keep his bridge and his bourbon, while we lounge on The Lanai of misanthropy with our whippets, weed, and box wine. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I don't have an issue with something like the Hoover Institution but based on the name this isn't going to be like the one affiliated with Stanford. This will likely result in Tucker giving lectures about post-liberal conservativism on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

A second document explains why the Liberty Center is necessary at UT-Austin.

“[A] growing proportion of our population* lacks a basic understanding of the role liberty and private enterprise** play in their well-being,” that proposal reads. “Too many Americans, particularly younger students, maintain misconceptions about our political system*** and lack an even basic understanding**** of the moral, ethical, philosophical and historical foundations underpinning a free***** society.”

*Non-whites

**Rich whites

***Their misconception is that our political system favors white males

****White men understand cuz they smarter

*****Fascist society devoid of morality, ethics, or any sort of philosophy other reaching for power after power. Too bad for non-whites, women, and anyone not grateful to the poor misunderstood white man.

The University of Texas is a whore if it spreads its legs for this overtly partisan effort. Money. Isn't. Everything.

Secede. Please. I'll find some place to move that feels like America.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I can't wait for the "Liberty" institute to call the cops on the student groups that show up to protest the Tucker Carlsons and Ben Shapiros that show up to speak at this thing. 

Or when they arrest professors for CRT when they mention slavery in American History 101. "HOW DARE YOU!!!!!"

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Where is old Randy Duke to tell us how the University of Texas is way too egalitarian to ever share culture with the "rednecks" of the SEC? 

(ps I'll probably have to do this everytime, admit that my state sucks too)

Soon enough, we won't even need state borders. The Red River will be running through middle of Redneckistan.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, swraith said:

From the article...this seems like a great way to select the Board.

Another draft document outlines a potential fundraising strategy for the institute that would require a $1 million minimum gift to be on the board.

Well what the hell have I been donating to this place for? Let's go. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Look, some guys like being closeted, wearing expensive clothes, and bonding with each other via the paddle. Don't see why you feel the need to get up in their lives. They aren't getting up inside anybody else's life.

Well, not right this minute they're not.

Feels like the UT leadership sure decided the SEC move was both athletics and cultural. 

lol I get a real kick out of Texans pretending y’all ain’t as SECSECSEC as your new conference mates.

We’re all swimming in different flavors of red fascist shitholes.

I mean, even in Gumplandia we ain’t got Abortion Hunting Posses and guns strapped to every tiny swinging dick. Yet.

What starts in Texas fucks up the rest of the world.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, swraith said:

From the article...this seems like a great way to select the Board.

Another draft document outlines a potential fundraising strategy for the institute that would require a $1 million minimum gift to be on the board.

Looks like the free market to me.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

lol I get a real kick out of Texans pretending y’all ain’t as SECSECSEC as your new conference mates.

I mean, even in Gumplandia we ain’t got Abortion Hunting Posses and guns strapped to every tiny swinging dick. Yet.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Texas and "Limited Govt"

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Fun fact.

Some wonk ran the entire body of each state's statutory law through a 'puter searching for occurrences of mandatory words like "shall."

On that textual basis, Texas was one of the most highly regulated states in the union.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Texas under Bill Powers tried to be the Cal or Michigan of Texas with a great football team. 

Now we are just Alabama or Florida with a mediocre football team. 

Debbie Downer GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

UT's leadership under Powers actively rebelled against Rick Perry.

UT's leadership under Hartzell is embracing Abbott's politics. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas under Bill Powers tried to be the Cal or Michigan of Texas with a great football team. 

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

There doesn't see to be a whole lotta sunshine in the room where all this is being hatched...and tax dollars appropriated. Anyone think that candidate Huffines is one of those Donors Who Shall Not Be Named? What about the TPPF people, like Leininger? I understand that Brigham is the main driver and donated to the Lt. Governor, but sure would like to see the Who's Who.

giphy.gif

Yeah. At least I get football championships to go with my fascism.

And I won’t have to worry about my gameday clothing not conforming to my future uniform!

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

giphy (4).gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I understand that Brigham is the main driver

From the Texas Monthly article:

Ben “Bud” Brigham once drove an Audi SUV adorned with a “Who is John Galt?” bumper sticker. The more pertinent question may be: Who is Bud Brigham? The geophysicist turned oil executive is the driving force behind the planned creation of a think tank at the University of Texas at Austin focused on the promotion of individual liberty, free markets, and limited government. He also expresses a passion for the libertarian political philosophy of the writer Ayn Rand, which explains the bumper sticker echoing one of the most famous lines from her novels. 

. . . On August 19, Congressman Chip Roy, a Republican who represents much of the Hill Country and parts of San Antonio and Austin, tweeted “Stop funding universities.” Brigham liked Roy’s tweet.

When I interviewed Brigham in 2012, he blasted academic researchers for their role in what he described as a “global warming scam,” claiming that they exaggerated evidence in the scientific literature that humans are to blame for climate change because they’re rewarded with research grants for doing so.

-----------------------------

I hate the name. It reads and sounds like a JOINT project between Liberty University and Texas. 

DO BETTER.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

From the Texas Monthly article:

Ben “Bud” Brigham once drove an Audi SUV adorned with a “Who is John Galt?” bumper sticker. The more pertinent question may be: Who is Bud Brigham? The geophysicist turned oil executive is the driving force behind the planned creation of a think tank at the University of Texas at Austin focused on the promotion of individual liberty, free markets, and limited government. He also expresses a passion for the libertarian political philosophy of the writer Ayn Rand, which explains the bumper sticker echoing one of the most famous lines from her novels. 

. . . On August 19, Congressman Chip Roy, a Republican who represents much of the Hill Country and parts of San Antonio and Austin, tweeted “Stop funding universities.” Brigham liked Roy’s tweet.

When I interviewed Brigham in 2012, he blasted academic researchers for their role in what he described as a “global warming scam,” claiming that they exaggerated evidence in the scientific literature that humans are to blame for climate change because they’re rewarded with research grants for doing so.

-----------------------------

I hate the name. It reads and sounds like a JOINT project between Liberty University and Texas. 

DO BETTER.

I mentioned to my husband several years ago that the universities were going to be "going through some things" because the clouds on the horizon were building. It wasn't just the attempts by TPPF (back when Perry was governor) and the Koch business model, it wasn't just the shifting of lower level classes to non-tenure track professors, it was also the conscious hiring of specific academics and the reframing of white nationalism to make it "go corporate" to link it to 'respectable' executive suite business schools. Some of the actual corporates were resistant, they see a different perspective but you've noticed that there is still money being slid under the table because they will play both sides until they have to make a specific choice. It's not exactly the same play as the McCarthy era assault on higher ed, but it's eeriily similar. Combining that with the changing demographics in the state of Texas and also in the flagship unis' student bodies, and what they are likely gearing up for in addition to the Liberty Institute is the Supreme Court overturning affirmative action. They will have all their chess pieces on the board.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Rage+1 2

This is just the Littlefield Fund for Southern History updated for the modern age.

Also, while Googling that to ensure that it was really a thing and not just some figment of my imagination that I conjured from my Orientation walk a couple decades ago, I found that two of the three George Littlefield Professors of American History are black.

Heh.

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

welp, now we know where patrick will end up when he finally leaves office 

Have we become that mediocre? 

Stanford fills this space already. 

Give me 45 minutes with the big hat and he will see the errors of his ways and perhaps choose a more principled and respectable vision for his philanthropy. Liberty Rights are a wide avenue. There is a path out there to make this a stunning success.