Trivial things that make you surly in movies / TV shows that you love

MaybeACoordinator

Terrible Southern or Texas accents. They are more often terrible that good -- usually it takes a native -- but the worst one ever was on the sgt major in Generation Kill. 

Nobody, I mean not even the most idiotic trailer-dwelling backwoods yokel talks like that, and i have hung out with idiotic trailer-dwelling backwoods yokels everywhere from the Sam Houston National Forest to the hollers of West Virginia.

(Not so fun fact: Sgt Major John Sixta, the guy portrayed here, was a pedo. He was convicted for raping a friend's 12-year-old daughter after returning from Iraq, and you can't blame PTSD, even if you were so inclined: after that conviction, two California women came forward from decades ago that landed him prison for 30 years.)

Looks like he was maintaining grooming standards before, during, and after the war. 

Anyway, he has an unusual name and so he was easy to research. (How many hillbillies have last names like Sixta, anyway.)

He is from the Kansas City metro. Maybe there is some linguistically isolated suburb up there where the accent makes Yosemite Sam sound like Al Michaels, but I doubt it. Simon and Burns apparently just thought it would be funny to give the biggest asshole in the battalion a horrible fake Southern accent. And that makes me surly.

This bothers me a little less, but whenever there's a scene in some shithole bar on a show like Justified, the background music is always waaaayyyyy cooler than it would be in real life, but no, the little hillbilly Mafia that runs Skeeter's Beer Joint are playing Steve Earle or the Drive By Truckers, and not Toby Keith and Garth Brooks.

This good buddy mine will eject on a show if it does this more than once. Or even just once, sometimes. The Wire almost lost him when there was the scene in the dockers bar featuring the Nighthawks, a criticially acclaimed DC roots-rock band from the '80s but today pretty much forgotten weekend warrior biker dad blooz. And then it did lose him when the cops -- Black and white, everybody -- were always singing along to the fucking Pogues at wakes for dead cops. i kinda thought maybe that was possible, given the stereotype of the Irish cop, esp on the East Coast, and how it seems like every cop killed in the line of duty has the bagpipes blaring somewhere in the vicinity, but he just wouldn't have it. And he was right and i was wrong -- Simon and Burns just thought it would really cool if that was the way cop wakes were. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 2

OP really took thread title to heart. I guess I would just say the fact that guns don’t recoil in movies. 

I also really hate violence in most movies & how unrealistic it is. People get shot in movies like X-Men and they just crumple to the floor and die, no blood or anything. THAT is what “desensitizes” people to violence. It’s too clean. I used to frequent documenting reality & bestgore quite a bit, seen more videos of people being shot & stabbed than I care to remember. If movies showed more of the blood, coughing, vomiting, realism maybe all these edgelords wouldn’t think it’s so cool. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

OP really took thread title to heart. I guess I would just say the fact that guns don’t recoil in movies. 

I also really hate violence in most movies & how unrealistic it is. People get shot in movies like X-Men and they just crumple to the floor and die, no blood or anything. THAT is what “desensitizes” people to violence. It’s too clean. I used to frequent documenting reality & bestgore quite a bit, seen more videos of people being shot & stabbed than I care to remember. If movies showed more of the blood, coughing, vomiting, realism maybe all these edgelords wouldn’t think it’s so cool. 

Eh I write fast and was just rewatching Gen Kill. That whole diatribe is pre-written in my head...And as for my friend and his music, we've had that argument many times. He is right about how fake it is but that shouldn't be enough to pull the plug on a show, imo.

It's like this other friend of mine he was super into this chick he was dating. then one night she told him she liked My Morning Jacket, and he dumped her almost immediately. 

There are a few bands out there I might consider dumping someone over, and while i am not a big MMJ fan, they are not worthing giving a GF the heave-ho. 

7 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I hate it in movies when they give the hero powers that don’t exist.  I mean have you ever really seen a man in tights flying through the air

Whole different set of rules for movies like that. Gen Kill and The Wire purport to show you "what it's really like" on the streets of Baltimore or charging through Iraq with 1st Marine Recon.  When they take creative license it should not come across as unbelievable, as it is with this over-the-top accent or having Bunk Moreland sing along to every word of a Pogues song. 

Trivial things?

In The Morning Show, all these people get woken up in the middle of the night and their phones aren’t ever plugged in and charging, yet they are on the phone all day long 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This bothers me a little less, but whenever there's a scene in some shithole bar on a show like Justified, the background music is always waaaayyyyy cooler than it would be in real life, but no, the little hillbilly Mafia that runs Skeeter's Beer Joint are playing Steve Earle or the Drive By Truckers, and not Toby Keith and Garth Brooks.

I can remember having this same thought watching the Leftovers.  When Liv Tyler was taking Tom to Texas in season 2 and they stop in that bar and dance, I'm pretty sure they were dancing to Sturgill Simpson.  I was like, "Bullshit. That would not be playing in a bar on a jukebox in the middle of nowhere in small town podunk Texas."

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tom said:

I can remember having this same thought watching the Leftovers.  When Liv Tyler was taking Tom to Texas in season 2 and they stop in that bar and dance, I'm pretty sure they were dancing to Sturgill Simpson.  I was like, "Bullshit. That would not be playing in a bar on a jukebox in the middle of nowhere in small town podunk Texas."

yeah, the tastes of prestige tv producers and the common clay of the great American hinterlands are generally not in alignment. 

• Like 1

Any show that ends a season on a cliffhanger.  Shows like "The Wire" do it right where every season is kind of its own story that gets wrapped up.

There are way too many shows that pull that crap and then get cancelled which ruins the entire experience.

Eh I write fast and was just rewatching Gen Kill. That whole diatribe is pre-written in my head...And as for my friend and his music, we've had that argument many times. He is right about how fake it is but that shouldn't be enough to pull the plug on a show, imo.

It's like this other friend of mine he was super into this chick he was dating. then one night she told him she liked My Morning Jacket, and he dumped her almost immediately. 

There are a few bands out there I might consider dumping someone over, and while i am not a big MMJ fan, they are not worthing giving a GF the heave-ho. 

you need to get some new friends.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I thought I was the only one who checked those sites. Well, me and @Cajun  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Like every time this topic comes up, you could dedicate an entire thread to guns and how they work.

Wow.  The "clip" on that Glock has like 25 rounds.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy a comic book/super hero movie these days.  Character starts out weak, does something cool with a new power, get his/her ass kicked, wins in the end.  

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I love MASH but it always bothers me when the doctors walk around in their bloody scrubs after surgery whether it’s in the swamp or the mess tent. No one would do that. And in the early seasons, they never did. 

yeah and they'd be sitting around swilling martinis all day and then perform flawlessly in surgery after the choppers touched down.

Well, actually, it was the '50s, so....mourning-nod.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I thought I was the only one who checked those sites. Well, me and @Cajun  

Borderland Beat can be pretty fucking gnarly...shit your average Mexican tabloid, even back before the cartels, would generally have about five dead people in full color splattered all around the insides of some car that wrecked. 

When a character smokes and it's clear they're not inhaling, instead just sucking in and blowing out smoke as quick as they can.  I've never been a smoker but even I can tell that looks fake. 

Christian Bale can strain his heart gaining 60 pounds for a role, but you can't damage your lungs a bit for your art?

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

yeah and they'd be sitting around swilling martinis all day and then perform flawlessly in surgery after the choppers touched down.

Well, actually, it was the '50s, so....

Actually, they didn’t. There was an episode where Hawkeye got too drunk after Radar was injured and had to leave the O.R. to puke. There was another episode when a visiting doctor couldn’t handle the pressure and got too drunk to perform (that might have been Robert Alda). And there was an episode about an alcoholic nurse. But most of the drinking occurred after long sessions of surgery. There was even an episode about Hawkeye giving up alcohol for awhile. They made a point that the alcohol consumption was a symptom of the stress of their jobs.

Medical science was more advanced than that in the 50’s. They wore masks, they changed their gloves, and they sterilized their instruments. There was even an episode where Klinger saved Winchester from an autoclave before it blew up.

Also, while it was set in the 50’s, it was the 70’s and was actually about Vietnam, a war where drug use was fairly rampant among the soldiers. Ever seen film of soldiers taking hits of marijuana through a gun barrel?

It was an artistic decision. It wasn’t documentary. Even in the 50’s, no doctor would ever go eat dinner while wearing his blood-stained surgical smock. It wasn’t realistic.

Still one of the greatest shows ever. 

52 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Actually, they didn’t. There was an episode where Hawkeye got too drunk after Radar was injured and had to leave the O.R. to puke. There was another episode when a visiting doctor couldn’t handle the pressure and got too drunk to perform (that might have been Robert Alda). And there was an episode about an alcoholic nurse. But most of the drinking occurred after long sessions of surgery. There was even an episode about Hawkeye giving up alcohol for awhile. They made a point that the alcohol consumption was a symptom of the stress of their jobs.

Medical science was more advanced than that in the 50’s. They wore masks, they changed their gloves, and they sterilized their instruments. There was even an episode where Klinger saved Winchester from an autoclave before it blew up.

Also, while it was set in the 50’s, it was the 70’s and was actually about Vietnam, a war where drug use was fairly rampant among the soldiers. Ever seen film of soldiers taking hits of marijuana through a gun barrel?

It was an artistic decision. It wasn’t documentary. Even in the 50’s, no doctor would ever go eat dinner while wearing his blood-stained surgical smock. It wasn’t realistic.

I am aware of all of this, but in the early days of the show, it was all about them being able to drink gigantic amounts of booze, and them being so stoic whatnot, it didn't effect them. They were still the top combat surgeons on the Korean border. A puritanical wave swept in with the Reagans and that was when you would see them talking about temporary abstinence and such. Same as on Dallas -- they had to tell JR he couldn't slam a double of bourbon every time he entered a room. 

I am aware of all of this, but in the early days of the show, it was all about them being able to drink gigantic amounts of booze, and them being so stoic whatnot, it didn't effect them. They were still the top combat surgeons on the Korean border. A puritanical wave swept in with the Reagans and that was when you would see them talking about temporary abstinence and such. Same as on Dallas -- they had to tell JR he couldn't slam a double of bourbon every time he entered a room. 

Wearing bloody surgical garb to dinner had nothing to with Reagan. And it predated Reagan’s presidency. Jesus. It was just an observation. It never would’ve happened in real life. Just say, “Yeah, that’s kind of fucked up,” and let’s move on.

Also, I never watched a single episode of Dallas. I wasn’t interested in soap operas in prime time anymore than I was interested in them during daytime. I was about as aware of what was going on with Luke and Laura on General Hospital as I was with who shot J.R. And that was just because you couldn’t escape it no matter how little you cared.

I, too hate the shitty southern/Texas accent thing, but I have heard real life accents that were as deep as that asshole sergeant major. I think that actor is just awful at portraying one. “Moosetache?” Get the fuck out. 

For a pet peeve, how about the old standard, Professional/College Athlete Portrayed by an Actor Who’s Never Held a Ball Before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I, too hate the shitty southern/Texas accent thing, but I have heard real life accents that were as deep as that asshole sergeant major. I think that actor is just awful at portraying one. “Moosetache?” Get the fuck out. 

For a pet peeve, how about the old standard, Professional/College Athlete Portrayed by an Actor Who’s Never Held a Ball Before.

Ya'll look like Elvises!!!  :D

Terrible mechanics in sports movies. I really love Bull Durham. I love it as much as anyone, but man Tim Robbins throwing a pitch is cringy as hell. Same with the Harris, the older pitcher in Major League. 

Some movies do it great. Linklater’s Everybody Wants Some is probably the gold standard for athletes in movies. Even A League of their Own supposedly ran pretty rigid baseball tryouts before casting.

a funny footnote to add is that Charlie Sheen juiced up for the filming of Major League and was throwing a legit mid 80’s in the movies. They moved mound up 10 feet to make it appear even a little faster than that. 

Terrible mechanics in sports movies. I really love Bull Durham. I love it as much as anyone, but man Tim Robbins throwing a pitch is cringy as hell. Same with the Harris, the older pitcher in Major League. 
Some movies do it great. Linklater’s Everybody Wants Some is probably the gold standard for athletes in movies. Even A League of their Own supposedly ran pretty rigid baseball tryouts before casting.

a funny footnote to add is that Charlie Sheen juiced up for the filming of Major League and was throwing a legit mid 80’s in the movies. They moved mound up 10 feet to make it appear even a little faster than that. 

I’d go Hoosiers as gold standard

Any show that ends a season on a cliffhanger.  Shows like "The Wire" do it right where every season is kind of its own story that gets wrapped up.
There are way too many shows that pull that crap and then get cancelled which ruins the entire experience.

This is what separates great shows/writing from the rest. Relying on cliff hanger bullshit is lazy, dare say even insulting to its audience. And yes I realize how uppity this post is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Well and on top of the juice Sheen had actually been a HS pitcher/short stop so mechanically he knew full well what he was doing.  

i see this has devolved into a "sports movies that get it right on the field" thread, but i'm going to revert back to the initial topic.

mine isn't one specific thing, but more the same tired bits and gags that have been repeated over and over for decades.  there are too many to list, but here are a couple that kinda overlap:

-when somebody is worried that they're pregnant, they always will tell someone else that they're late.  invariably, that person will misunderstand and reply as if they meant late like timing to arrive somewhere.  once they get it straight, the question will always come up surrounding the regularity of cycles.  i've known a lot of women over the years, and it seems as if well over half (if not 'most') have the occasional odd cycle timing.  but not in tv/movies.  they're always rigidly consistent, and they always say something like, "no, i'm never late.  if i'm one minute late, i know i'm pregnant."

-whenever someone refers to the numbers on a clock to help someone locate where something is, someone is, someone they need to shoot at, etc, they always always always misunderstand this the first time to think that the person is talking about actual time.  "2 o'clock!"  "no, actually it's only 12:30."  ugh, just stop.  i've seen it 50x and it's never ever been funny or interesting.

i probably have 30 more of these, but they're just make me more surly.  so i'll post some more later.

that thing they do where people end phone conversations by just hanging up on each other. they'll be talking for three full minutes, and then one fo them says something, and then the other one just hangs up and nobody says "bye" or "talk to you later" or anything. been going on for decades and it makes no sense.

• Rage+1 1

ok, here's one more that happens all the time.  even if you never noticed it, you will now.

two people will be at dinner, and some sort of information bombshell is dropped, while they're eating/drinking/whatever.  "i know he didn't mention it, but your brother met her before.  in fact, they were together the night she died."  holy shit, big bombshell, right?

cut to: ext. car - later that night

the couple exits the car, and continues the conversation. 

"if he knew her, then why did he lie to the cops?"

so what i'm led to believe is that this couple finished their dinner, paid for the check, got in their car, drove all the way home, but decided not to discuss this topic until they got out of the car?  what did they do the whole way home, fiddle with the radio stations?  it drives me crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I almost universally dislike the use of dramatic irony- mostly waiting on a character to discover what was already revealed to the audience is not done well and can be a beating. 

Another thing that bugs me is that whenever you (the audience) hears how a plan is supposed to go - whether a heist or battle or crime bust or sporting event - the thing cannot and will not go according to plan. The writers aren’t going to waste your time explaining how something will go, and then have you watch that exact thing. 

24 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Another thing that bugs me is that whenever you (the audience) hears how a plan is supposed to go - whether a heist or battle or crime bust or sporting event - the thing cannot and will not go according to plan. The writers aren’t going to waste your time explaining how something will go, and then have you watch that exact thing. 

Office Space did that pretty well as far as executing the actual virus install. Great use of “wow that was easy”. 

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Office Space did that pretty well as far as executing the actual virus install. Great use of “wow that was easy”. 

“I must have put a decimal point in the wrong place or something. I always do that. I always mess up some mundane detail.”

“Well this is not a mundane detail, Michael!”

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When Col. Flagg makes an appearance. 

10 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Actor Who’s Never Held a Ball Before.

I find it hard to believe any/all Actors in Hollywood hasn't held some form of a "ball" before.  Just don't believe it. 

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

shoot outs in closed spaces, then everybody can hear just fine when its over.

I'm almost deaf from shooting guns, and I've only shot outside, never in hallways, small apartments, sewer pipes, culverts, tank cockpits, car passenger cabins, etc.

When drinking from a straw, like eating fast food. In real life it doesn’t make any noise until the cup is virtually empty and someone tries to suck up every last drop of liquid. In movies and TV it seems to always make that slurping sound, even if they just sat down and are taking their first drink. It’s supposed to be filling awkward silence or be funny, but it’s just terribly annoying. 

2 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

When drinking from a straw, like eating fast food. In real life it doesn’t make any noise until the cup is virtually empty and someone tries to suck up every last drop of liquid. In movies and TV it seems to always make that slurping sound, even if they just sat down and are taking their first drink. It’s supposed to be filling awkward silence or be funny, but it’s just terribly annoying. 

in movies like old school when the party is clearly on a friday (actually a nice little saturday, maybe bed bath and beyond, etc) but then the next day everybody gets up and goes to work or goes to class like it's a weekday.  sloppy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

my mom can't stand how it when a character is supposed to be drinking something yet the cup they're drinking from is clearly empty. 

This except it angers me when they're having a beer and it's totally water.  The liquid sounds completely different in the bottle, plus no bubbles

14 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah for sure I've heard accents that strong -- even on campus back in the day. Dudes from places like Tyler and Dumas...but yeah, nobody actually says shit like moo-stash or Americ-y 

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah for sure I've heard accents that strong -- even on campus back in the day. Dudes from places like Tyler and Dumas...but yeah, nobody actually says shit like moo-stash or Americ-y 

Maybe you’re a coordinator, maybe I’m literally from one of the two places you listed 😂