House of the Dragon

crash_davis

11 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Not sure. When Jorah gave them as a gift, I believe he said something about them being fossilized and would never hatch.

I can't remember exactly how long there had been no dragons in GOT but I figure it has to be getting close to that window.

Jorah gave her songs and histories from the seven kingdoms. 

Her patron in Pentos, Magister, gave her the eggs. Which came from beyond the Shadowlands...wherever that is. 

Viserys was in desperate need of a bacta tank. Dude looked worse off than Anakin at the end of RotS.
I will say that I found his dinner speech moving. He genuinely loved his entire family dining at the table despite the division. Although once you realize everyone was related and married or engaged to their fellow kin folk it was weird as fuck.
Jon Snow is the descendent of a bunch of inbreed hillbillies. Really puts things into perspective.

In actuality Jon snow should have looked like Banjo Boy.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

I don't know what to say to anybody who isn't enjoying this series, especially the last two episodes.

It's pretty impressive to me how good this has gotten considering everything up to this point is still prologue for the actual story, which is the Dance of Dragons.

Aemond is clearly grown into a badass character that'll be fun to watch, especially given the stare down between himself and Daemon.  It's a very big deal that House Velaryon will be allied to Rhaenyra and Daemon but sucks that the little warrior cyclops snaked the biggest, baddest dragon out of from under them.  I did like his response to Cole, "I don't give a shit about tourneys."  He just wants to kill people for realz.

Paddy Considine absolutely delivered as Viserys, taking the character well beyond what anyone expected, including GRRM, who told him "your Viserys was better than my Viserys."

I think Emma D'arcy has been great as Rhaenyra, I'm liking her portrayal more than the younger actress', which I did enjoy.  I can barely tell a difference between the two actresses playing Alicent.  Nice to have Otto back in King's Landing causing trouble.

Turns out it was worth paying close attention to Helaena's mumbling over the millipede/whatever that was.  She's clearly got the gift of prophecy.  

Kind of weird that a guy like Ser Harwin Strong, who was an absolute badass, sired such undersized, un-intimidating children.  It'll be interesting to see how Daemon and Rhaenyra's kids turn out.

Not buying it. Half a season of prologue would have been fine. This has been nearly a whole season of Days of their Lives. And every time something great happens, like Cole beating the guy to death at the wedding, it ends up being irrelevant. 

These characters are not even remotely interesting. 

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

I don't know what to say to anybody who isn't enjoying this series, especially the last two episodes.

It's pretty impressive to me how good this has gotten considering everything up to this point is still prologue for the actual story, which is the Dance of Dragons.

Aemond is clearly grown into a badass character that'll be fun to watch, especially given the stare down between himself and Daemon.  It's a very big deal that House Velaryon will be allied to Rhaenyra and Daemon but sucks that the little warrior cyclops snaked the biggest, baddest dragon out of from under them.  I did like his response to Cole, "I don't give a shit about tourneys."  He just wants to kill people for realz.

Paddy Considine absolutely delivered as Viserys, taking the character well beyond what anyone expected, including GRRM, who told him "your Viserys was better than my Viserys."

I think Emma D'arcy has been great as Rhaenyra, I'm liking her portrayal more than the younger actress', which I did enjoy.  I can barely tell a difference between the two actresses playing Alicent.  Nice to have Otto back in King's Landing causing trouble.

Turns out it was worth paying close attention to Helaena's mumbling over the millipede/whatever that was.  She's clearly got the gift of prophecy.  

Kind of weird that a guy like Ser Harwin Strong, who was an absolute badass, sired such undersized, un-intimidating children.  It'll be interesting to see how Daemon and Rhaenyra's kids turn out.

It's cool you think this show is cool.

I think this show lacks wit and testosterone. It's like a slightly more violent Bridgerton or aforementioned Downtown Abbey, which is fine, just not a lot of this website's target demo (and maybe a bit misaligned with expectations based on the experiences had with the legacy GoT).

Personally I think this show is decently good, not close to great and more or less worth the hour investment. It's like a decent podcast in that way; if you are commuting or something I watch it. It's certainly not appointment television though.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

He was going to fall on his sword for abandoning his oath. She stopped him since she knew why he went Mountain on the dude's face. 

I had completely forgotten that part. Thanks. 

I think this show is pretty boring, though I liked the book and loved GOT (even the last season). 

1 hour ago, MeerkatBong said:

It's cool you think this show is cool.

I think this show lacks wit and testosterone. It's like a slightly more violent Bridgerton or aforementioned Downtown Abbey, which is fine, just not a lot of this website's target demo (and maybe a bit misaligned with expectations based on the experiences had with the legacy GoT).

Personally I think this show is decently good, not close to great and more or less worth the hour investment. It's like a decent podcast in that way; if you are commuting or something I watch it. It's certainly not appointment television though.

yeah i pretty much agree with this. and for all the talk about how great this show is, i wonder how can anyone think that when there are no great characters? after i'd watched this many hours of GoT i could name you you at least a couple dozen characters whom i found to be more interesting and compelling than anyone on this show. house lannister alone shits all over this show in that regard. everyone in that family is about a billion times more interesting and worth watching than the entire cast of this show.

fun fact: one million seconds is about 13 days; one billion seconds is about 31 years. that's the surprisingly huge difference in a million and a billion. i just want that to be known, so that when i say that GoT was a billion times more interesting than this show, you know exactly what i mean. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Show is definitely moving way slower in terms of violence and conflict than I would have guessed.  That said, I am still enjoying it and it is the only appointment viewing I have currently outside of college football.  We abandoned the Rings show.

36 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Show is definitely moving way slower in terms of violence and conflict than I would have guessed.  That said, I am still enjoying it and it is the only appointment viewing I have currently outside of college football.  We abandoned the Rings show.

Considering the series begins in a time of peace, I'm okay with it but I suppose if folks are used to GoT which debuted with attacks, assassinations, and so on then I guess they are impatient for the battle to begin. I do believe that had it opened with the dragon battles and tried to explain the conflict genesis with flashbacks that the folks confused about names and so on might have suffered a stroke keeping everyone straight. However, in 8 episodes there has been a battle, several fights,  several murders including a beheading, a joust which included hand to hand combat, and the gradual decay of the man acting as the second hand on the clock slowing ticking its way to the zero hour bell when the action begins. If I had to guess, you won't see any real conflict until season two.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

All of the words you wrote.

I re-read it, and there's not a single comment that doesn't relate entirely to what's been on screen.

I haven't read the Dance of Dragons stuff, anyway, so I don't know any more than anyone else what's gonna happen, beyond what was referred to in GoT and the History and Lore videos they released during GoT's run.

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The “I WANT MUH DRAGONS!” fans have the attention span of a squirrel and the IQ of a hedgehog.

HBO wants The Walking Dead Fans to tune in as well.  But I'm certainly glad they haven't gone overboard trying to appeal to that demo.

• Hook 'Em 2

These characters are drier than saltines. There is no one to root for, too much posturing talk, LOTS of incest (yes I know this is a thing in all the GRRM books but it's still weird), and the only cool thing that has actually happened, the battle at the Stepstones, was way too short and you don't even get to see Crab Feeder get his torso divorced from his legs. Everyone just seems whiny and obnoxious. 

@MeerkatBongwas right above. So far, this show lacks wit and testosterone. I'll probably keep watching until the end of this season but things will need to change dramatically 

• Hook 'Em 2

That Valyrian steel sword cut through his head like a hot knife through butter.  I loved the minimal sound effect. 

As for no one to root for in this show, I don't know how you can't be rooting for Rhaenyra, especially now that she's married to Daemon, given he's the most enjoyable character by far.

I can't stand Otto or his brother Lord Hightower, and I feel sorry for Alicent but don't feel any reason to pull for her.  

Since the beginning I've wondered how differently the show would've been perceived if GoT had never been made and this was our first intro into this universe.  I really don't know what the audience perception is overall but the ratings are great, and the video re-caps I watch seem to share my enjoyment of how it's unfolding.

But it seems to be polarizing like the Rings of Power series.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I re-read it, and there's not a single comment that doesn't relate entirely to what's been on screen.

I haven't read the Dance of Dragons stuff, anyway, so I don't know any more than anyone else what's gonna happen, beyond what was referred to in GoT and the History and Lore videos they released during GoT's run.

I was just poking fun because you're clearly invested in this show in a way that many others have struggled to get to. Plus it seems like you'd read the books. Glad you're into it. I like it, just wish more was happening. Especially with the dragons. But I'll be patient because I know they have to set the stage. 

6 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't need more violence. The show definitely needs a little levity now and again. Think of Jaime, Bronn, The Hound, Tyrion, etc. They were all in serious situations, but brought levity along with it.

This is where I'm at. Everything is so serious. Very few of the characters have personality. No one's witty in the way Tyrion was. No one's incredible badass to the point that they don't give a fuck like the Hound. No one's scheming. Characters are certainly positioning themselves to make moves behind the scenes, but not in a conniving and fun way like Cersei or Varys. It's all very mechanical with the exception of Daemon. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't need more violence. The show definitely needs a little levity now and again. Think of Jaime, Bronn, The Hound, Tyrion, etc. They were all in serious situations, but brought levity along with it.

Maybe it is all cocks, in the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I was just poking fun because you're clearly invested in this show in a way that many others have struggled to get to. Plus it seems like you'd read the books. Glad you're into it. I like it, just wish more was happening. Especially with the dragons. But I'll be patient because I know they have to set the stage. 

This is where I'm at. Everything is so serious. Very few of the characters have personality. No one's witty in the way Tyrion was. No one's incredible badass to the point that they don't give a fuck like the Hound. No one's scheming. Characters are certainly positioning themselves to make moves behind the scenes, but not in a conniving and fun way like Cersei or Varys. It's all very mechanical with the exception of Daemon. 

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Maybe it is all cocks, in the end.

Video won't embed, but this show needs more of this guy.

tumblr_po44ykDPjW1x5g9ag_smart1.jpg

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_po44ykDPjW1x5g9ag.mp4

edit: ooh, maybe it did embed after all.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Augustus said:

i dont know if we're not enjoying the series.  we watch it every week and post here every week, i just think superfans and nerds dont like the criticism.  its no got.  its a forced takeoff of it, a greedy capitalizing on the popularity of got.  

how many years have passed from episode 1 to now? 20 or so?  enough for at least 10 characters to have aged so much that they had to change actors, yet daemon and otto miraculously havent aged a bit.   in the first episode it was clear that otto and alicent were threatened and alarmed and were planning on subverting viserys proclamation that rhaenyra was heir.  we all knew it.  everybody in the audience knew it, everybody in the red keep knew except rhaenyra.   8 episodes later we are in the exact same position.  alicent and otto still selfishly undermine the kings wishes.    we all know it, the entire audience knows it, everybody in the red keep knows it except rhaenyra.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^^^^that is what is missing from this show. fascinating, intelligent, well fleshed out characters, moving the story along with sharp, compelling dialogue, and yes, the occasional bloodbath. 

my favorite shows of all time are the wire, breaking bad, and seasons 1-4 of GoT, with honorable mention going to shows like mad men and better call saul. 80-90% of my favorite scenes from those shows have nothing to do with violence, and everything to do with compelling characters, brilliant writing, and a story worth following. hell, this might be the best scene in all of breaking bad:

just two old, bald, white guys sitting in a dark room, quietly talking. 

theres no need to overthink this, or to jump to the conclusion that anyone who isn't loving this show either "doesn't get it", or simply needs more blood and guts and violence. the show just is not compelling. that's it. the writing is mediocre, the story is plodding, none of the characters are inspiring, there's constant time jumps and changes of actors; the show is just lacking, period. i don't care if this has all been prologue, it's been boring, hard to follow, hard to care about prologue. it's just not very good. the elements are all there, but the execution is severely lacking. the characters, the dialogue, and the story all need drastic improvement, or a lot of people are going to bail on this show when S1 ends. 

• Hook 'Em 6

23 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I've been a nearly-obsessed amateur historian of the Roman Republic and of England from the Norman Conquest through the Tudor dynasty for the last 25 years.  I'd wager one of the reasons for my enjoyment of this show is that I feel like I'm getting to peek into some of the history behind the Iron Throne and some of the great houses that we met in GoT, so it's all interesting to me in that sense. 

I've tried very hard not to compare it to GoT because that's a little unfair to just about any series, but also because this is an entirely different story centered around a much smaller world and cast of characters.  If Game of Thrones was the story, this show is like reading an appendix entry.

Regardless, I'm impressed with Paddy's job as Viserys and I thoroughly enjoy Daemon and Rhaenyra, and the central conflict couldn't be more plausible.  And now Aemond looks like a great addition.  Wasn't expecting him to be major player after his introduction and the pig-gift.  

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I've been a nearly-obsessed amateur historian of the Roman Republic and of England from the Norman Conquest through the Tudor dynasty for the last 25 years.  I'd wager one of the reasons for my enjoyment of this show is that I feel like I'm getting to peek into some of the history behind the Iron Throne and some of the great houses that we met in GoT, so it's all interesting to me in that sense. 

I've tried very hard not to compare it to GoT because that's a little unfair to just about any series, but also because this is an entirely different story centered around a much smaller world and cast of characters.  If Game of Thrones was the story, this show is like reading an appendix entry.

Regardless, I'm impressed with Paddy's job as Viserys and I thoroughly enjoy Daemon and Rhaenyra, and the central conflict couldn't be more plausible.  And now Aemond looks like a great addition.  Wasn't expecting him to be major player after his introduction and the pig-gift.  

Similar in my case; I had scant European history background from schooling but found that classic literature was much more enjoyable when I took the time to read a little real world history and background prior to delving into a novel. This show reads like that in some ways. The Cromwell and Wolsey types, the monarchs, and so on.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Similar in my case; I had scant European history background from schooling but found that classic literature was much more enjoyable when I took the time to read a little real world history and background prior to delving into a novel. This show reads like that in some ways. The Cromwell and Wolsey types, the monarchs, and so on.

Have you read the Hilary Mantel novels about Cromwell, or seen the Masterpiece production Wolf Hall?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Some people just don’t like slow burns. Critic and audience reviews are both in the mid 80s. Seems about right.

i named all of my favorite shows in my last post because they're moatly all slow burns (breaking bad, BCS, the wire, max men, etc). and my favorite writer is aaron sorkin, whose movies are nothing but dialogue. it's not that the show is slow, is that the show is boring and the characters are uninspiring. 

On 10/13/2022 at 8:38 PM, kingkoopa6 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Daemon x Viserys | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumpik

Daemon x Viserys | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumpik

i had to rewatch the spoiler scene a couple times.. that shyt was funny.

loved after, "he can keep his tongue" ----- " no need" and yielded

that 1-eyed motherfucker looks like a poor imitation of Draco Malfoy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1