House of the Dragon

crash_davis

38 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Good episode. Still don’t like Otto and think it’s weird he’s just back in the role of hand after being fired for being sus. This is lazy writing of inviting the fox, who you know is a fox, back into the hen house in service of making your plot work easier.

I don't think GRRM's writing is ever "lazy."

As is the case with much of his work, you can easily find historical parallels for what you're finding difficult to buy.  In most cases, those examples are what inspired his work.

And when you consider that Viserys now knows that Otto wasn't just trying to besmirch Rhaenyra's character, that she is a sloot who feels no compunction against banging her knights and filling the line of succession with a bunch of bastards, it's reasonable that Viserys would regret his treatment of Otto.  And he's had Alicent in his ear for a decade reminding him how he backstabbed the one person in the realm most loyal to him.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

And when you consider that Viserys now knows that Otto wasn't just trying to besmirch Rhaenyra's character, that she is a sloot who feels no compunction against banging her knights and filling the line of succession with a bunch of bastards, it's reasonable that Viserys would regret his treatment of Otto.  And he's had Alicent in his ear for a decade reminding him how he backstabbed the one person in the realm most loyal to him.

Does he now know that? The show seems to take great pains to show us that Viserys is a very weak man and leader who is pot-committed to his denial of in-your-face-reality and general delusions around his daughter (and family, as it extends to Daemon as well).

And to your last point, I think this last episode showed that when escalated to a choose one or the other he backs his daughter, 10 years of earworming or not.

Edited by MeerkatBong

21 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I get what you're saying, but the only thing you really need to know about TX/OU is that OU sucks. And that is a universal law. Like gravity. Or my wife buying ridiculous shit.

image.gif.02574232f0500ebe08367455fbe188a6.gif

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Lulz. Otto wasn’t the most loyal. He did a fine acting job “showing restraint” telling the King about his daughter’s escapades. The King rightfully saw through that charade though.  Like his daughter, he’s a self-serving cunt like the rest of us. Difference being, ole Otto banged Sienna Miller, repeatedly, and Alicent, as stated before, would get it. 

22 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I get what you're saying, but the only thing you really need to know about TX/OU is that OU sucks. And that is a universal law. Like gravity. Or my wife buying ridiculous shit.

Quoted for truth. Doesn’t matter what happens. Ever. 

OU still sucks.

Edited by thunderlounge

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Lulz. Otto wasn’t the most loyal. He did a fine acting job “showing restraint” telling the King about his daughter’s escapades.

I wasn't arguing that Otto is/was loyal.

If I didn't make it clear, that's what Alicent would be putting in his head.  "He was your most devoted servant and you sent him packing because you fell for your daughter's manipulation" etc etc.  Given sufficient time and repetition, plus the arrival of each new dark-haired baby, it would easily plant doubts in his mind as to whether he'd misjudged his hand, leading him to second guess himself.  Obviously so, given that Otto is back in King's Landing and reinstalled as Hand of the King.

@MeerkatBong:  Yes, his public stance is that his daughter is the mother of 3 very legitimate sons of Laenor Velaryon, but he knows damned well they're Harwin Strong's kids, the same way he knew to send her the morning-after tea despite her protestation that she was still a maid.  The whole point of that scene was to demonstrate that Viserys might be foolish at times, but he's no fool.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just caught up and read through this thread. I suspect binge watchers will have a more favorable opinion of these early episodes, because I didn’t even consider most of the complaints brought up here.

I will say, for a show that many have labeled boring and predictable, it was quite funny to read all of the wrong guesses in hindsight.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Just caught up and read through this thread. I suspect binge watchers will have a more favorable opinion of these early episodes, because I didn’t even consider most of the complaints brought up here.

I will say, for a show that many have labeled boring and predictable, it was quite funny to read all of the wrong guesses in hindsight.

I'll suffer through a few slow spots for a show that has a good plot/storyline and at least makes an attempt to develop characters. The Lord of the Rings spinoff is just the opposite for me, a hot mess of shitty casting, undeveloped characters and convoluted plot lines. 

The hardest part for me has been getting used to the new actors from the time jump. I would have preferred they kept the original Rhaenyra and just aged her. 

Edited by Cornpop
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/3/2022 at 1:21 AM, pops said:

About halfway through I was about to turn it off and come here and post nothing ever fucking happens in this show..... then..... they totally redeemed themselves! 

well the first 15 minutes felt like a staring contest.

You have to remember that 99% of the people in Westeros are what we would consider completely retarded in terms of intellect, learning, high-level capability, etc. There simply are not that many people who could be Hand. Add in the family connection, and it's understandable why Viserys would return to Otto as Hand. Viserys is failing and he needs somebody with a brain to help rule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thought it was a step back from last week.

Looks like we get some action next week tho. King finally died so that’s a step in the right direction

Good on daemon for looking the same at 70-80 yrs old like he did at 30-40.

It’s all the clean living. 

Need some clarification I can’t find w/o visiting some sites that seem spoilery

Was Vaneras first son ever betrothed to Alicents daughter (the two that were dancing)?

Did both Vs older sons get betrothed to their stepsisters? Or just one and a pick tbd?

Edited by UT_OB1

Okay, I am really hoping that we get to see Prince Aemond the One Eyed die an especially brutal death.  Preferably at Daemon's hands.  

I don't really like how they've set up the basis for the war as a ridiculous misunderstanding resulting from Viserys not knowing who he was talking to.  I wondered why they were making it seem as if Alicent was sincerely forgiving, and desiring to reconcile with Rhaenyra.  Just so they could pull the rug out from under everyone with the Ice/Fire prophecy.  Ah well, it is what it is.

Daemon is just all business all the time and I fucking love him.  Hard to believe the dude would be so stupid as to commit high treason in the fucking throne room and expect to walk out of there but I suppose men have made stupider mistakes.  But it was damned satisfying watching the top of his head fly off.

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This shit is really solid.  Love the writing and acting.  Refreshing after the last couple GoT seasons…
Viserys doing a great job then hitting the purple drank and fucking up was so on brand.  

All things considered, this whole season is really just setting the table, and with the constant time jumps they had a quite a task to keep it interesting but I agree they did a fine job.

Makes me optimistic for how good the future seasons can be once we're finished leap frogging over years and settle in to the Dance of Dragons.  

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Daemon is just all business all the time and I fucking love him.  Hard to believe the dude would be so stupid as to commit high treason in the fucking throne room and expect to walk out of there but I suppose men have made stupider mistakes.  But it was damned satisfying watching the top of his head fly off.

He knows there is no turning back and if he is going out, he is going out with a bang

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So they recast Aegon the Junior with an even younger actor in a 5 year time jump? 

Makes sense to me. - Signed,  Weiss and Benioff

Apparently the actor that plays Aegon is 27 and the actor that plays Aemond is 20. They definitely look the opposite. 

6 hours ago, Augustus said:

Okay, I am really hoping that we get to see Prince Aemond the One Eyed die an especially brutal death.  Preferably at Daemon's hands.  

I don't really like how they've set up the basis for the war as a ridiculous misunderstanding resulting from Viserys not knowing who he was talking to.  I wondered why they were making it seem as if Alicent was sincerely forgiving, and desiring to reconcile with Rhaenyra.  Just so they could pull the rug out from under everyone with the Ice/Fire prophecy.  Ah well, it is what it is.

No chance was Alicent ever not gonna make a play at the throne.  That 30 second tender moment with rhaenyera was fake bs that was appropriate at that moment 

7 hours ago, Augustus said:

He was banging his gums going on and on, and I said “somebody shut that mother fucker up!”

- slice!

That was very on brand. Loved it. 

Daemon and Aemond with their somewhat similar personalities seem destined for a face-off.  He dispatched a second son with a slice of steel and round two of the second borns may be quite a battle because Aemond looks proficient with his sword.

Did I misinterpret something? Looked to me like Alicent didn't give the pregnant serving girl Plan Tea but Plan Hemlock as the Queen later hugged someone as if the servant girl had died? That would be a Larys-like move if that was so. I had to take a call and missed some of the exchange with Mysaria (the prostitute) and the hooded person, what happened there?

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Was Vaneras first son ever betrothed to Alicents daughter (the two that were dancing)?

Did both Vs older sons get betrothed to their stepsisters? Or just one and a pick tbd?

The two that were dancing were never betrothed--the Queen rejected Rhaenyra's offer. Each of the oldest Targaryan/Strong sons are betrothed to their stepsisters if I understood the announcement correctly.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Daemon and Aemond with their somewhat similar personalities seem destined for a face-off.  He dispatched a second son with a slice of steel and round two of the second borns may be quite a battle because Aemond looks proficient with his sword.

Did I misinterpret something? Looked to me like Alicent didn't give the pregnant serving girl Plan Tea but Plan Hemlock as the Queen later hugged someone as if the servant girl had died? That would be a Larys-like move if that was so. I had to take a call and missed some of the exchange with Mysaria (the prostitute) and the hooded person, what happened there?

The two that were dancing were never betrothed--the Queen rejected Rhaenyra's offer. Each of the oldest Targaryan/Strong sons are betrothed to their stepsisters if I understood the announcement correctly.

And the Targ sister - is married to her brother? Did I understand that right? They kind of just glossed over that one. 

1 minute ago, hornian said:

And the Targ sister - is married to her brother? Did I understand that right? They kind of just glossed over that one. 

Try and keep up. Or we will have to start calling you futureman. 

ETA: Yes. And I had to look that up too. 

Edited by DDD Dad

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

I actually like it.  Had a Greek/Shakespearian tragedy feel to it.