This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

What an absolutely incredible season and job by Sarkisian. He proved me wrong in every manner and exceeded my every expectation for this program under his leadership. 

kudos to him for what he has accomplished.

Undoubtedly this, for starters. I did not have this team sniffing the CFP this year. Last night stings with the way it went down but it was kind of house money for me. It was a great season. A season that will be a part of program lore. Sark absolutely deserves credit for building the program up to a place where that can even come together at all, let alone the fact that it actually did.

Texas did not look out of place last night in a CFP semifinal. Yeah, they lost because they had a few too many miscues and the NFL QB and WRs, plural, on the other side balled out; but Texas went out and competed at the sport’s highest level. As a fan that’s all you can really ask for at the end of the day. Every champion has some luck and breaks go their way and that wasn’t there for Texas last night. Oh well.

I will say I had a sneaking feeling that Sark’s deficiencies as an in game coach could bite Texas in this one and I do think that was the case. Sark has no doubt elevated the floor of this Texas program to the point where the expectation of competing for a 12-team playoff spot on a near-annual basis is reasonable. As long as they continue to bring in and develop talent like they have I think that’s the case. And really that’s all I’m looking for as a fan. I can live with quite a few 8-9 win seasons, especially assuming we’re eventually looking at a 9 game SEC schedule, as long as there is 1.) A winning record vs OU, and 2.) Some 10+ win upside years every few years where the team competes for a conference and national title. After this year I think Sark is capable of meeting that bar so consider me converted.

But I’m not sure I believe Sark will ever put together 2-3 games against similar talent and quality coaching to actually win a national championship though. But hey, Mack Brown didn’t have any hardware… until he did. He’s no doubt earned the opportunity to lead the program into the SEC with the full support of the fanbase and admin for the foreseeable future.
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

Great season. I do think the K. Rob being out there to return kicks and Washington instantly testing that shows the difference in coaching staffs and how much Sark still has to learn.  

Dude followed him from Bama, stuck with him and did have a good arm to carry the ball, didn't work out great but I get it.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I can live with quite a few 8-9 win seasons, especially assuming we’re eventually looking at a 9 game SEC schedule, as long as there is 1.) A winning record vs OU, and 2.) Some 10+ win upside years every few years where the team competes for a conference and national title.

3.) Punk aggy at every opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Question for the Board:
Penalties are often attributed to coaching.  In some ways, as when a player loses composure and gets an unsportsmanlike, I get it.
In other ways, like repeated false starts from OL and TE, I don't.
Like parents, I suppose, a coach whose players repeatedly misbehave is responsible.
Not sure I'm willing to attribute yips or dumbassery to coaches (or parents).

In the vacuum of a single game I agree but stupid procedural penalties have been a consistent theme under Sark. Especially with the emphasis he puts on motion, not having that cleaned up after three years is an indictment on the staff. I’m not going to sit here like I think it’s a huge one because I don’t, but when you’ve got experienced guys still setting the team back because they able to execute sets pre snap it tells me you’re not effectively teaching.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For much of the year, we had trouble scoring in the red zone, especially when we had to pass it. We lost because we could not score on 4 plays inside the 15. Sark proved that he can learn from mistakes, for example going for 4th down instead of taking the points. I'm hoping he scrutinizes his play designs inside the red zone. There's something seriously lacking there. Didn't help that the team played tight for much of the game. Bad time to have a poor showing which sucks because we were peaking towards the end of the season.

With that said, I'm fully on the the Sark bus. He brought us back from obscurity and is recruiting lights out. He needs to hire better secondary coaches because that was a weakness all season and didn't ever get better. I think he and the team will learn from this game. We'll be the better for it.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Didn't help that the team played tight for much of the game.

For whatever reason, I still think this team is a bit mindfucked.  The execution errors continue and I'll call the procedure penalties execution errors because I don't think we had all that many play execution errors in the form of huge missed blocks, big drops, etc. other than perhaps Ewers doing some Ewers stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the O knew that the D couldn't stop Penix and Washington. They knew they had to score points to give us a chance. That probably made them play tight.

We played poorly on both O and D. Penix was fucking on. He was dropping dimes. He's fucking good. We got beat by a better team. It happens.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how we recovered from the 2 second half fumbles and had a legitimate chance to win. It felt like Sark did a helluva job slowing the game down and keeping it from spiraling out of control. I’m sad that it’s over because there’s no telling how next year plays out, but it was quite a ride. Get these new DBs in here and let’s stifle the SEC. There’s no Penix on our schedule next year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I also think that Meatchicken will roll UDub.

I dunno man.  I didn't get the feeling watching them play yesterday that UM is really ready to defend a dynamic offense with great success.

It would seem that UM could mostly run at will on them, so maybe we'll get to test out that hypothesis.  Somehow, maybe just because all run all the time bores me, I just don't think running all the time is really a solution to UW.  They're going to get the ball and score.  

Maybe not fair basing it off bowl games, but the Big 10 just doesn't seem to have been much of a gauntlet this year.  Even less so than the PAC12.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Michigan has a better overall DL than us. UW exposed our edge play and we really had no answer for it. They also have a guy in Will Johnson who can allow them to play more leveraged coverages.

Jake Majors is good for one illegal snap a game. For a guy with his experience, it makes no sense for him to keep making the same mistakes. Christian Jones was overmatched against Trice and ZTF. They picked on the middle to right side of the line with the games and pressures. 

Experience plays a role in presnap penalties too. The bigger the moment gets, people begin to fold more. Sorrell lined up in the neutral zone and still jumped offsides.

Guys were too tight and felt the magnitude of the moment too much. It happens. The experience is invaluable though, for both the players and the coaches.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno man.  I didn't get the feeling watching them play yesterday that UM is really ready to defend a dynamic offense with great success.

It would seem that UM could mostly run at will on them, so maybe we'll get to test out that hypothesis.  Somehow, maybe just because all run all the time bores me, I just don't think running all the time is really a solution to UW.  They're going to get the ball and score.  

Maybe not fair basing it off bowl games, but the Big 10 just doesn't seem to have been much of a gauntlet this year.  Even less so than the PAC12.

To be fair, quarterback play was just down across college football this year. Our secondary was lucky the b12 passing attacks weren’t what we’ve come to expect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Michigan has a better overall DL than us. UW exposed our edge play and we really had no answer for it. They also have a guy in Will Johnson who can allow them to play more leveraged coverages.

Jake Majors is good for one illegal snap a game. For a guy with his experience, it makes no sense for him to keep making the same mistakes. Christian Jones was overmatched against Trice and ZTF. They picked on the middle to right side of the line with the games and pressures. 

Experience plays a role in presnap penalties too. The bigger the moment gets, people begin to fold more. Sorrell lined up in the neutral zone and still jumped offsides.

Guys were too tight and felt the magnitude of the moment too much. It happens. The experience is invaluable though, for both the players and the coaches.

Agreed. For the first time all season, it felt like the team, including Sark, let the moment get to them. The last few weeks of the regular season, we played pissed and focused. Last night we played scared and tight. As a program we haven't been here in 14-15 years so I guess it's understandable.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

To be fair, quarterback play was just down across college football this year. Our secondary was lucky the b12 passing attacks weren’t what we’ve come to expect. 

We lost the OU game because our secondary sucks. Basically last night was 60 mins of the last min of the OU game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Question for the Board:
Penalties are often attributed to coaching.  In some ways, as when a player loses composure and gets an unsportsmanlike, I get it.
In other ways, like repeated false starts from OL and TE, I don't.
Like parents, I suppose, a coach whose players repeatedly misbehave is responsible.
Not sure I'm willing to attribute yips or dumbassery to coaches (or parents).

Did I hear the announcers correctly…UW was the most penalized team in the country this season?
  • Rage+1 1

Part of defending an offense like that is keeping them off the field. Michigan isn’t going to get out possessed 13-2 in a quarter. They will be committed to the run in a way Texas never was. Their defense is also just better, particularly on the back end and rushing the passer. They just matchup with Washington a lot better than Texas does.

It will be an interesting contrast of styles for sure. Washington absolutely can win - Michigan is not at all equipped to chase UW down if they get out to a lead - but I lean Michigan because I think they will dictate the terms/style of the game like UW did to Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah. I felt it last night and reflecting this morning I definitely think the moment was just a little too much for Texas, both staff and players.

Many eventually great teams/programs come up short in these kind of situations before ultimately getting to the top. The hope is that this ends up being a building block.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Amazing job this season, and the trajectory of the program is without a doubt pointing up.

As for last night, I don’t attribute the loss to some glaring coaching failure. Sure there were questionable decisions, but Washington was built to exploit our one weakness and they absolutely balled out. Hat tip, and get ready for next season.

Problem is their coaching staff exploited our weaknesses and even add wrinkles to their playbook to attack us with QB runs when they never run with Penix.  And when we saw an advantage in our run game we immediately went back to passing it nonstop. 

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, GTJ1982 said:

Problem is their coaching staff exploited our weaknesses and even add wrinkles to their playbook to attack us with QB runs when they never run with Penix.  And when we saw an advantage in our run game we had to sit on the sideline as Washington possessed the ball the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think Sark was completely outcoached last night. He made some mistakes, but nothing unusual for coaches to make. It can be really hard to get something going when you fumble in your own red zone against the team that is doing whatever they want offensively against your secondary. The blue fumble killed us because we were about to score, I have no doubt. DeBoer was trying to manufacture the biggest choke job in recent college football history. The last two offensive drives for Washington were completely inexcusable.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

but when you’ve got experienced guys still setting the team back because they able to execute sets pre snap it tells me you’re not effectively teaching.

Really? So you see Majors make an illegal snap (how many times has he done that, anyway?) and you think it's because Flood's not effectively teaching him? Perhaps Majors is just not effectively learning?

I put a lot of blame on Gideon and Joseph for our DB play all year. I know we are lacking talent there, but the position coaches should be able to develop the talent they have and our DBs have not showed any improvement throughout the year. We play with bad technique, which to me, is the coaching. When was the last time our secondary looked nack to track the ball? I won't mind seeing one or both of these coaches getting replaced.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup....crazy that we only ran 5 plays in the 3rd quarter. 

Both lost fumbles were after big gains in the run game, and they came within about 10 offensive plays of each other. Then we would promptly follow up good first down plays with pre snap penalties almost every single time. It is impossible to get going when you are doing stuff like that.  

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, B00M said:

How many passes did QE have deflected at the line of scrimmage? 

I counted at least 4. 

People have been questioning the playcalling in the final series. I didn't love it, but I can understand Sark's frustration. You can't run - no timeouts and only a few second left. You can't pass over the middle - the space is too tight and they've batted down every ball Ewers threw over the middle. Worthy was clearly not even 75%, especially moving laterally, so you can't rely on him as an option. Chucking it up to Mitchell in the corner felt more like a prayer than playcalling, but I can also understand it. His options were pretty limited. 

That said, we can expect more from Sark. He gets paid to be better than that. But I also have been impressed with his ability to learn and adapt. I have every expectation that this season was a learning experience for him and he'll immediately start working to figure out what to do in this sort of situation in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

UW was always going to be a bad matchup for us. Their biggest strength (Pass O) is our biggest weakness (pass D). Hard for coaches to suddenly change that especially when the QB is on fire like that. We got his very best yesterday.

That said - it wasn't Sark's best game. Team came in tight/sloppy, we should've run the ball more bc they couldn't stop it, the last 4 plays sucked, and while not as impactful putting a one-handed guy back at returner was hilariously dumb.

Also, Daboer is a really good coach.

Regardless - great year by Sark. You live and you learn. Glad he's at UT.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I put a lot of blame on Gideon and Joseph for our DB play all year. I know we are lacking talent there, but the position coaches should be able to develop the talent they have and our DBs have not showed any improvement throughout the year. We play with bad technique, which to me, is the coaching. When was the last time our secondary looked nack to track the ball? I won't mind seeing one or both of these coaches getting replaced.

Joseph is the guy that I feel like needs to go. Gideon actually has developed Taafe into a serviceable player and has brought Williams along in a nice way this season into being the unquestioned starter heading into next year. Taafe, Thompson, and Crawford are a mixed bag of massive limitations either athletically or mentally, and Thompson was just dog shit this year. I think PK had to alter his defense to hide the safeties almost all season, but our technique on balls in the air from our defensive backs is just inexcusable. There is no reason long corners like Watts and Brooks cant turn around to make plays on the ball in the air. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I counted at least 4. 

People have been questioning the playcalling in the final series. I didn't love it, but I can understand Sark's frustration. You can't run - no timeouts and only a few second left. You can't pass over the middle - the space is too tight and they've batted down every ball Ewers threw over the middle. Worthy was clearly not even 75%, especially moving laterally, so you can't rely on him as an option. Chucking it up to Mitchell in the corner felt more like a prayer than playcalling, but I can also understand it. His options were pretty limited. 

That said, we can expect more from Sark. He gets paid to be better than that. But I also have been impressed with his ability to learn and adapt. I have every expectation that this season was a learning experience for him and he'll immediately start working to figure out what to do in this sort of situation in the future. 

As I saw a few mention, I think Sark went for the quantity over quality in the last 4 plays. We had 15 seconds left and we had about 4 plays if they were run very quickly. This means the QB needs to get rid of it almost instantly against a defense that already knows the exact perimeter to defend. They know we can't run behind them. They know we can't run the ball at all. I get wanting to maximize your shots at the endzone but you have to make those plays count. The 1st down call was horrendous and I had a sinking feeling after that play. There was zero upside with that play. We were too far away for a score. Could have been tackled in bounds and game over.

I would have liked to see some roll outs and 2 legit shots at the endzone rather than 4 hurried plays, where 3 had zero shot to do anything. 1st down was a screen behind the line. 2dn down the ball was thrown way out of reach. 3rd down was a desperation by Quinn just to get rid of the ball. Our 4th down play was the actual only play out of 4 that even came close and even that ball wasn't thrown great and gave us no real shot. Just a kick in the nuts to end that game.

Let's flip the sides and say Washington has the ball in that same exact situation needing a TD. I would expect much better plays and execution. 

Sark has been everything I could have wanted in a hire so far. I feel very confident about the state of Texas football going forward, dude is going to be an all-timer here at Texas when it's all said and done. The right man leading Texas at one of the most crucial points in program history, and he's got us humming right now.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

As I saw a few mention, I think Sark went for the quantity over quality in the last 4 plays. We had 15 seconds left and we had about 4 plays if they were run very quickly. This means the QB needs to get rid of it almost instantly against a defense that already knows the exact perimeter to defend. They know we can't run behind them. They know we can't run the ball at all. I get wanting to maximize your shots at the endzone but you have to make those plays count. The 1st down call was horrendous and I had a sinking feeling after that play. There was zero upside with that play. We were too far away for a score. Could have been tackled in bounds and game over.

I would have liked to see some roll outs and 2 legit shots at the endzone rather than 4 hurried plays, where 3 had zero shot to do anything. 1st down was a screen behind the line. 2dn down the ball was thrown way out of reach. 3rd down was a desperation by Quinn just to get rid of the ball. Our 4th down play was the actual only play out of 4 that even came close and even that ball wasn't thrown great and gave us no real shot. Just a kick in the nuts to end that game.

Let's flip the sides and say Washington has the ball in that same exact situation needing a TD. I would expect much better plays and execution. 

Dude, the first down call wasn't supposed to go to blue. That was a check down under pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 4

If someone had told you 2 years ago, after going 5-7 and losing to Kansas, fucking KANSAS, that Sark would take the team to the CFP in 2023 you wouldn't have believed them.   Saban giving Sark a second chance after bottoming out may be the best thing that has happened for Texas football this century.  You don't have to be on the Sark train, but don't stand on the tracks or you might get run over.

Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a bitch in! - Some Football Guy

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Undoubtedly this, for starters. I did not have this team sniffing the CFP this year. Last night stings with the way it went down but it was kind of house money for me. It was a great season. A season that will be a part of program lore. Sark absolutely deserves credit for building the program up to a place where that can even come together at all, let alone the fact that it actually did.

Texas did not look out of place last night in a CFP semifinal. Yeah, they lost because they had a few too many miscues and the NFL QB and WRs, plural, on the other side balled out; but Texas went out and competed at the sport’s highest level. As a fan that’s all you can really ask for at the end of the day. Every champion has some luck and breaks go their way and that wasn’t there for Texas last night. Oh well.

I will say I had a sneaking feeling that Sark’s deficiencies as an in game coach could bite Texas in this one and I do think that was the case. Sark has no doubt elevated the floor of this Texas program to the point where the expectation of competing for a 12-team playoff spot on a near-annual basis is reasonable. As long as they continue to bring in and develop talent like they have I think that’s the case. And really that’s all I’m looking for as a fan. I can live with quite a few 8-9 win seasons, especially assuming we’re eventually looking at a 9 game SEC schedule, as long as there is 1.) A winning record vs OU, and 2.) Some 10+ win upside years every few years where the team competes for a conference and national title. After this year I think Sark is capable of meeting that bar so consider me converted.

But I’m not sure I believe Sark will ever put together 2-3 games against similar talent and quality coaching to actually win a national championship though. But hey, Mack Brown didn’t have any hardware… until he did. He’s no doubt earned the opportunity to lead the program into the SEC with the full support of the fanbase and admin for the foreseeable future.

With the talent we're accumulating, 8-9 wins would be a letdown. Top classes shouldn't just win 8-9 games a year. That's for Ole Miss to do. We better be better than that. 10 wins should be mandatory with our talent. We're only behind Bama and Georgia currently in recruiting , and we've shown we can beat Bama. I believe we can beat Georgia as well. I'm sure we'll lose a few games in year 1, but year 2 I expect 10 win seasons. 8-9 ain't going to cut it. Aggy wins 8 games, we should be better than that with Sark. That's when recruits start looking away. We have the talent to win 10 games. If we start dropping off, so do the recruits to Bama, LSU, Georgia, and even Ole Miss. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

UW was always going to be a bad matchup for us. Their biggest strength (Pass O) is our biggest weakness (pass D). Hard for coaches to suddenly change that especially when the QB is on fire like that. We got his very best yesterday.

That said - it wasn't Sark's best game. Team came in tight/sloppy, we should've run the ball more bc they couldn't stop it, the last 4 plays sucked, and while not as impactful putting a one-handed guy back at returner was hilariously dumb.

Also, Daboer is a really good coach.

Regardless - great year by Sark. You live and you learn. Glad he's at UT.

I would really talk to some people who know football. We have way too much talent to play that poorly against the pass. I'm thinking about calling Sweat later in the week to get his thoughts. The 15 yard cushion on 3rd down (I think it was the third quarter) was ridiculous but the openings all over the field makes me think that it is a schematic issue - no rush and still it looked like frequent single coverage. Maybe we need better defensive ends, but they are containing and rushing so I don't know how much they would help. But, no rush, and single coverage and big cushions aren't good combinations.

Sark, definitely should have moved away from the script. If we are rushing for 10yards a pop and the defense is letting receivers run free, we need to run the fucking ball until they stop it. The pre-detemined split between run and pass is a myth. Do what works. And running the ball would get Penix out of rhythm and it would slow the game down, and it would have opened things up even more in the second half.

And overall we played extremely sloppy and had way too many false starts, fumbles, and missed assignments. When playing against very good teams, you cannot win with all the mistakes we were making. I don't know if that was a player issue or a coaching issue (preparedness), but it will have to be corrected in an 11 team playoff. Off-games where we look totally unfocused cannot happen.

• Hook 'Em 3

One aspect that's interesting to me is that Sark has gotten a lot of credit, and rightly so, for rebuilding our lines quickly and to an SEC standard. But Washington by and large won the LOS on both sides last night. Not sure what to make of that.

4 minutes ago, TOR said:

Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a bitch in! - Some Football Guy

Dear god don't quote this loser speak. That's a quote from a coach who never got over the hump, did not in fact kick the sumbitch in, said at a parade for literally losing in the playoffs. Fuck the oilers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, tokamak said:

One aspect that's interesting to me is that Sark has gotten a lot of credit, and rightly so, for rebuilding our lines quickly and to an SEC standard. But Washington by and large won the LOS on both sides last night. Not sure what to make of that.

Before the season started, I saw some stat about 4 and 5 stars that Georgia and Alabama had, vs Texas, at every position. And the take away from the article was that, while Texas is recruiting extremely well lately, it's only really a recent trend that it's bearing fruit on the field. Texas always recruited well, but our players would usually be big busts from their hype, and thus would eventually fall out of rotation. Alabama and Georgia were treated as the gold standards, as they basically had two-deep of 4 and 5 stars at every position. The point of the article was that it would take Texas a few more recruiting rounds before they could bully anybody in the country all day and night like Georgia and Bama normally can. I think that's what we saw last night, the limits of our current depths.

Like, imagine what this game would have looked like had we had, say, Jonathan Brooks available.

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, the first down call wasn't supposed to go to blue. That was a check down under pressure. 

That was my read also. My issue with it was 1) don’t check down, just throw it at his feet 2) the fake toss to start the play just wasted time and took Quinn’s eyes away from downfield 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Dear god don't quote this loser speak. That's a quote from a coach who never got over the hump, did not in fact kick the sumbitch in, said at a parade for literally losing in the playoffs. Fuck the oilers.

OK how about this.

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Our defensive interior was great last night. They couldn’t run the ball at all but, as we’ve seen all year, we have no real edge rush and our blitz schemes are moronic against a team like that