Texas BBQ

Washpark

When I was 16 I was working in a McDonalds in Memphis. Back then they were real functioning restaurants where everything was prepped like shredding lettuce, cutting potatoes, and filling Mac sauce tubes.

A woman was in the back shredding lettuce at the three part sink. I was cutting potatoes. Hear a godawful scream. She had pushed her hand into the shredder and was a couple of distal phalanges were shredded up. The lettuce bin had a good bit of blood and finger and bone shreds in it.

The manager tells me as they wrap her hand and drive her to the hospital (made her punch out) “Take care of that lettuce”. I assumed he meant throw it away so I head out to the dumpster. “What the fuck are you doing? Wash that shit and prep it for service!” I haven’t eaten a Big Mac in the 49 years since.

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

Blu Lacy Smokehouse opening in Castroville this month. Owner is the 2M guy out of SA. 

https://www.expressnews.com/food/restaurants/article/castroville-restaurant-top-san-antonio-barbecue-18415820.php

Still weird that something like that is opening in my hometown. Not that I'll ever eat there, since I'm only there a couple times a year these days to visit my dad. But still weird. 

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

it should be much closer to SA

it's 25 miles from downtown in an area that is growing rapidly and they think doubles in population in the next 5-7 years. plus investors probably wanted it there/had the property already.

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

There definitely are cheaper options out there, but for $32, this could have been employed

71p1S1BLpZL._SL1500_.jpg

this is the kind of shit i never understand. this isn't 1960. there are options out there for this exact situation with a simple google

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Who wants BBQ in Castroville when there is great Parisa to be had?

I was on a parisa kick for awhile. We drive thru that area all the time and would pick some up especially on the way to Concan. Relaxing in the frio with a cold beer and some parisa and crackers was not a bad way to spend a saturday or sunday.

This BBQ place is going to have parisa, but I am not sure how they can put a twist on it to make it any more than just another parisa. Over at Burnt Bean they have barbacoa, but it is different and so good because it has a smokiness usually not had at other places.

On 10/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Who wants BBQ in Castroville when there is great Parisa to be had?

Parisa in on their menu. I need to get down that way to spend some long overdue maintenance time on the lease. Looking forward to hitting this up and making a proper care package for the blind. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Butter’s today. Everything was excellent although the elites were a touch salty today. After we ate we went outside to watch the eclipse and the staff came out and borrowed some of our eclipse glasses to view it. I didn’t buy a filter for my camera, so only a phone shot through the glasses.

3003b9c9ef3768b17c47e7430f536b82.jpg

dda65dec85ee0bfc91e56749ebc20c5d.jpg

Spoiler

OIP(4).jpeg.693cd264fc4b082f09e23a6a66283662.jpeg

No CR

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, po elvis said:

I was on a parisa kick for awhile. We drive thru that area all the time and would pick some up especially on the way to Concan. Relaxing in the frio with a cold beer and some parisa and crackers was not a bad way to spend a saturday or sunday.

This BBQ place is going to have parisa, but I am not sure how they can put a twist on it to make it any more than just another parisa. Over at Burnt Bean they have barbacoa, but it is different and so good because it has a smokiness usually not had at other places.

Same here. Always driving through castroville for the hill country hiking. Will be nice to have a good bbq option 

On 10/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, po elvis said:

Tried Parisa in C'Ville for the first time back in April en route to Bandera for the Charlie Robison show. Didn't know what I'd think about it, but that first taste was one of my favorite food experiences ever. I'm still not really sure how much I like it, but I really want some more. Even did my research and made some not too long after that trip, and it wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't Dziuk's. 

I would like to see other places try it, but outside of that region, IMO, because I also feel it's a tad disrespectful (literally, just a tad, as I don't think it's terribly disrspectful) to come right in their front yard making Parisa, unless of course that's where you're from.

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

How much for just one Rib...bee's?

That plate is $75, prob

Edited by UncleBuck

2 hours ago, dmtx said:

I respect the small risk they are taking with this. I'm still wondering how sustainable this venture will be, unless they plan to offer/add other meat options. But yeah, I will check out Ribbee's within the first month they open.

I'd roll ribs and sausage.  Get a nice jalapeno cheddar sausage on a bun with some fries as a side would be great too and go along with the ease of just serving a simple menu.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dmtx said:

I'm still wondering how sustainable this venture will be, unless they plan to offer/add other meat options

I think it's more sustainable at the moment than opening up another Cen-Tex style bbq joint, at least for them. This isn't the traditional Texas BBQ scene anymore. Texans dig pork ribs, and Goldee's has the clout. Wouldn't surprised if this doesn't become a trend. 

Edited by UncleBuck

14 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think it's more sustainable at the moment than opening up another Cen-Tex style bbq joint, at least for them. This isn't the traditional Texas BBQ scene anymore. Texans dig pork ribs, and Goldee's has the clout. Wouldn't surprised if this doesn't become a trend. 

when I want a single meat, it’s always ribs 

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

when I want a single meat, it’s always ribs 

I know a lot of people who feel the same way. They're the wings of BBQ. 

A rib shack probably couldn't work just anywhere in Texas 20 years ago, but it can definitely do well in today's landscape.

EDITED to add: Also, you just offer one meat, and two simple sides that are rather cheap, and that really helps. Not sure if that's the plan, just two simple sides, but it appears that way from the pics. That's huge. Limits the amount of money the customer will spend by not getting a little over everything, while also keeping it pretty much a set price. This also then makes things easier on you. 

Edited by UncleBuck

9 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I know a lot of people who feel the same way. They're the wings of BBQ. 

A rib shack probably couldn't work just anywhere in Texas 20 years ago, but it can definitely do well in today's landscape.

EDITED to add: Also, you just offer one meat, and two simple sides that are rather cheap, and that really helps. Not sure if that's the plan, just two simple sides, but it appears that way from the pics. That's huge. Limits the amount of money the customer will spend by not getting a little over everything, while also keeping it pretty much a set price. This also then makes things easier on you. 

ribs / fries / Mac and cheese, piece of cornbread 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1