Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

My wife and I are leaving the woods of the Great White North and heading to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my mom.  We're hitting Corpus Christi to visit some friends on the front end of the trip and then heading for Abilene.  Good BBQ is nonexistent where we live so we are both looking forward to indulging. 

What I ask of Surly is to plot me out a BBQ route from CC to Abilene with the best spots to stop along the way.  Time isn't really a consideration, because who wants to get to Abilene anyway?  

smoking ho's top 50 + HM map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1gyk29UKH2TsUIsyAh-Y8iAOJGGyB_Rrr&ll=30.131387738702063%2C-100.2060104&z=7CC

CC --> Mathis (Butters) --> one of the SA Joints (highly recommend Reese Bros) --> Fredericksburg (Eaker BBQ) --> Abilene (The Shed was an honorable mention)

the other way which is SA to Kerrville to Junction then North doesn't show anything.

you could also do CC --> Mathis --> San Antonio --> Austin (any number of suggestions but if you go DONT MISS LEROY AND LEWIS, you also go through Cedar Park so you can hit up Interstellar ) --> Lampasas (Youngs BBQ, haven't been there since they moved from San Saba but are good folks and serve good Q) --> Abilene (The Shed was an honorable mention)

very important to mention that timing matters. how many days are you wanting to split this up across?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

smoking ho's top 50 + HM map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1gyk29UKH2TsUIsyAh-Y8iAOJGGyB_Rrr&ll=30.131387738702063%2C-100.2060104&z=7CC
CC --> Mathis (Butters) --> one of the SA Joints (highly recommend Reese Bros) --> Fredericksburg (Eaker BBQ) --> Abilene (The Shed was an honorable mention)
the other way which is SA to Kerrville to Junction then North doesn't show anything.
you could also do CC --> Mathis --> San Antonio --> Austin (any number of suggestions but if you go DONT MISS LEROY AND LEWIS, you also go through Cedar Park so you can hit up Interstellar ) --> Lampasas (Youngs BBQ, haven't been there since they moved from San Saba but are good folks and serve good Q) --> Abilene (The Shed was an honorable mention)
very important to mention that timing matters. how many days are you wanting to split this up across?

I support this message, but with a correction:

Butters is in Sinton (moved from Mathis maybe a year ago?).
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, pch said:

Joe Cotton was a regular stop when the barbecue jones set in.  Grew up in CC and after Roy's bbq went away (5 chopped sammiches for $1 was my daily lunch in HS) Cotton made a great replacement. 

i have a lot of relatives down there and visiting them + a cottons visit was a damn treat ! They had the best waitstaff ever. 

• Like 2

i have a lot of relatives down there and visiting them + a cottons visit was a damn treat ! They had the best waitstaff ever. 

Cottens was a gotdamn treasure. We actually stopped for lunch there on the day old man Cotten died. The whole waitstaff was in tears.

Then, on another occasion, was headed there the day it burned down.

I may be a bad luck charm for Cottens. I’ve eaten at their new location a good number of times, though - had a case that had me in Corpus a lot for several years.
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cottens was a gotdamn treasure. We actually stopped for lunch there on the day old man Cotten died. The whole waitstaff was in tears.

I may be a bad luck charm for Cottens. I’ve eaten at their new location a good number of times, though - had a case that had me in Corpus a lot for several years.

The grandkids opened a place in calallen and some ex employees opened a place closer in town 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

Needed some quick BBQ last night and drove over to Slab (mistakenly ordered from the bowling alley location rather than the Brodie location)... brisket, sausage and pulled pork.  Anyway, the brisket... ehhhhh... not so great... taste was OK, appearance left much to be desired and, in fact, I remembered that when I ordered their brisket from the OG location on the Y, I had the same impression.  I need to stick to the sandwiches.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Needed some quick BBQ last night and drove over to Slab (mistakenly ordered from the bowling alley location rather than the Brodie location)... brisket, sausage and pulled pork.  Anyway, the brisket... ehhhhh... not so great... taste was OK, appearance left much to be desired and, in fact, I remembered that when I ordered their brisket from the OG location on the Y, I had the same impression.  I need to stick to the sandwiches.

I thought SLAB was sammich only?

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The grandkids opened a place in calallen and some ex employees opened a place closer in town 

So have you eaten at either and if so, how does their cue stack up against their grandfather's?  Another reunion is on the horizon and I would check out the Calallen location.

So have you eaten at either and if so, how does their cue stack up against their grandfather's?  Another reunion is on the horizon and I would check out the Calallen location.

The calallen location is the one I’ve been to. Food and vibe is the same as the old place. Actual location is a strip mall, so loses some charm. But S Tx bbq served on tablecloths by waiters in ties, it just hits right in an old school way. And it’s decent cue.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The calallen location is the one I’ve been to. Food and vibe is the same as the old place. Actual location is a strip mall, so loses some charm. But S Tx bbq served on tablecloths by waiters in ties, it just hits right in an old school way. And it’s decent cue.

All this. It’s defiantly the mini vibe.  But the cheese spread and crackers slap for sure. It’s decent bbq and good for that area. 

Hoegemeyer's Barbeque Barn, down by Whataburger field is pretty good, but the hours can be weird. Worth a stop 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

All this. It’s defiantly the mini vibe.  But the cheese spread and crackers slap for sure. It’s decent bbq and good for that area. 

Hoegemeyer's Barbeque Barn, down by Whataburger field is pretty good, but the hours can be weird. Worth a stop 

Man, forgot about the cheese spread.  I always grab some to-go to bring home.  Like I did back when I'd hit Johnny Cace's in Longview (had a case that had me up there for several years, that sharp cheddar spread was the shit).  Places that serve a sharp cheese spread like that are another old-school Texas treasure.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Would one of those spots include . . . the ex?

Got there ahead of me.  Thanks for the Cotten's and Hogemeyer recs-only make it down to CC every five years for reunions but will definitely be dining at these places and checking out the cheese spread/crackers.

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lots of talking. Need more eating.

Burnt Bean. Brisket, El Cinco sausage (poblanos and pepper jack cheese) and a bowl of smoked chicken tortilla soup. Owner was stoked I ordered the soup. Lunch was fantastic. Fuck the cockroaches, hook ‘em! emoji1598.png

3f836cae9d9c09a6f2ac7940fe47db37.jpg

you ordered a side ????

Sesame Street Fainting GIF

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Lots of talking. Need more eating.

Burnt Bean. Brisket, El Cinco sausage (poblanos and pepper jack cheese) and a bowl of smoked chicken tortilla soup. Owner was stoked I ordered the soup. Lunch was fantastic. Fuck the cockroaches, hook ‘em! emoji1598.png

3f836cae9d9c09a6f2ac7940fe47db37.jpg

Nice background anchor, sir. 10/10 for composition

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That was our team go to whenever we traveled to Callallen and won back in the 90’s.
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, forgot about the cheese spread.  I always grab some to-go to bring home.  Like I did back when I'd hit Johnny Cace's in Longview (had a case that had me up there for several years, that sharp cheddar spread was the shit).  Places that serve a sharp cheese spread like that are another old-school Texas treasure.

I miss that place.  They had one in Tyler for a while, but the one in Longview was better.

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Jay’s in Abilene is supposed to be solid. Have not been there yet, myself.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/jays-bbq-shack-abilene-revamped/

Jay’s is solid. Good brisket and as good of a jalapeño cheese sausage as I’ve ever had. 

Glad to hear it’s back up and running. Last time I went to Abilene in May it was shut down for renovations. 

If you are going to Abilene save some room for a meal at Perini Ranch.

My favorite restaurant in all of Texas. The ribeye rocks, but the burger is awesome as well. I hate hominy but that green chile hominy casserole will knock your dick in the ditch. They opened a diner type thing in town but I haven’t eaten there.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My favorite restaurant in all of Texas. The ribeye rocks, but the burger is awesome as well. I hate hominy but that green chile hominy casserole will knock your dick in the ditch. They opened a diner type thing in town but I haven’t eaten there.

The in-laws used to have a place in Ruidoso, so I would pass through Abilene a couple of times per year.  Mary’s for lunch on the way there, and Perini Ranch for dinner on the way back.  They sold the place a few years ago, so my sole reason for going west of Possum Kingdom disappeared.

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

I miss that place.  They had one in Tyler for a while, but the one in Longview was better.

Agree.  I had relatives in Longview in 1965 who took us there and it was outstanding.  Also bought my first Dave Campbell Texas Football when we paid our bill-great childhood memory.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Cream cheese stuffed jalapeños.

This.  Absolutely no heat to them though.  Should have gone with the quail for the appetizer, but people I was with wanted the ribs.  Steak was by far the best thing there, which is as expected I guess.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I made a brisket taco this weekend with nothing but a slice of lean brisket and two bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos. I'm not sure there's anything better than that. 

wait.

are we talking a taco with a slice of lean as the tortilla or a tortilla with lean brisket and 2 poppers inside the taco?