Texas BBQ

Washpark

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

ive always been told Lums is better than Coopers there.

Yeah.  The overly mesquite smoked brisket point was cut with the grain if you need a picture.

I've had Cooper's and its terrible as well.  It was not my idea to eat barbecue in Junction, I was heading out on a fishing trip with a group.

If you have to eat in Junction, go to the Junction Burger Company.  I was impressed with the meal I had there a couple years ago.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Brandon Hurtado announced he is opening a store in Mansfield. It’s going into the now closed Big D barbecue space in an old strip center in Mansfield. It’s a fairly small space unless he takes the adjacent space and lacks parking. It’s kind of an odd location. A half block away was a branch of Off the Bone which remains in excellent in Forest Hill which closed a few years back. I always question bbq expansions; his joint on 8th st in ft worth was shut down by the health dept for sanitation issues a few months back.

Yeah.  The overly mesquite smoked brisket point was cut with the grain if you need a picture.
I've had Cooper's and its terrible as well.  It was not my idea to eat barbecue in Junction, I was heading out on a fishing trip with a group.
If you have to eat in Junction, go to the Junction Burger Company.  I was impressed with the meal I had there a couple years ago.

Sliced with the grain? At a place in Texas…… with bbq in the name?

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Brandon Hurtado announced he is opening a store in Mansfield. It’s going into the now closed Big D barbecue space in an old strip center in Mansfield. It’s a fairly small space unless he takes the adjacent space and lacks parking. It’s kind of an odd location. A half block away was a branch of Off the Bone which remains in excellent in Forest Hill which closed a few years back. I always question bbq expansions; his joint on 8th st in ft worth was shut down by the health dept for sanitation issues a few months back.

he must have some investors, can't imagine he's lighting money on fire.

opened/closed in little elm too, right?

3 hours ago, NoName said:

he must have some investors, can't imagine he's lighting money on fire.

opened/closed in little elm too, right?

Yeah, Little Elm closed  I think that is a bad location.  Tender is about to open up in the same place. I think it's just a bad layout, etc.

Mansfield may not be a bad location, not sure what the competition is like there.  Ft. Worth is a head scratcher for sure.  With his name growing (Rangers games help) he may be making more than we know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol, no, brisket and jalapenos INSIDE of a tortilla. 
Next time, add a slice of avocado

I love leftover poppers, usually grab 1 or 2 out of the fridge to have with my coffee in the morning. If one of them is a rare hot one, it opens up the taste buds and makes coffee taste amazing
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, mooseoutfront said:

My wife and I are leaving the woods of the Great White North and heading to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my mom.  We're hitting Corpus Christi to visit some friends on the front end of the trip and then heading for Abilene.  Good BBQ is nonexistent where we live so we are both looking forward to indulging. 

What I ask of Surly is to plot me out a BBQ route from CC to Abilene with the best spots to stop along the way.  Time isn't really a consideration, because who wants to get to Abilene anyway?  

The Shed Market is legit BBQ in Abilene.  But if I am eating one meal in Abilene, it's going to be at Perini Ranch.

22 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Lums is okay.  If you are in the area, go to Roosevelt and get a burger at Simons Brothers.

Yeah, Little Elm closed  I think that is a bad location.  Tender is about to open up in the same place. I think it's just a bad layout, etc.
Mansfield may not be a bad location, not sure what the competition is like there.  Ft. Worth is a head scratcher for sure.  With his name growing (Rangers games help) he may be making more than we know. 

I think Mansfield is a good place to be; he operates 7 days bell to bell. In town there is Del Toro which is a cool place downtown but inconsistent, Soulmans which sucks, and a Spring Creek. Underserved for a town that big. You can drive to Goldee’s on the weekend, or the Original Jambos in Rendon, or Off the Bone in Forest Hill. Or hickory stick in Everman. Otherwise you’re driving to ft worth or Arlington. I just question that location as it’s a bit off the more busy areas and it’s small.

On 11/9/2023 at 4:47 PM, mooseoutfront said:

My wife and I are leaving the woods of the Great White North and heading to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my mom.  We're hitting Corpus Christi to visit some friends on the front end of the trip and then heading for Abilene.  Good BBQ is nonexistent where we live so we are both looking forward to indulging. 

What I ask of Surly is to plot me out a BBQ route from CC to Abilene with the best spots to stop along the way.  Time isn't really a consideration, because who wants to get to Abilene anyway?  

Butter's in Sinton.

If you're headed up 77 way you can always stop at TB's.  

If you run Hwy 6 to Abilene, stop at Helberg in Waco on the way out.  

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Fried Chicken and yeast rolls with honey.

Just had a flashback to the now no longer Leslie's Fried Chicken in Waco. Nothing in Waco or anywhere else has even come close or attempted to in terms of matching or replacing this great establishment imho.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:29 AM, pch said:

Just had a flashback to the now no longer Leslie's Fried Chicken in Waco. Nothing in Waco or anywhere else has even come close or attempted to in terms of matching or replacing this great establishment imho.

Wasn't around for the Leslie's timeframe.  However, Krispy Chicken on Franklin is damn good. Cash only.  Actually saw a regular there buy a whole big ass box of chicken one day with a scratch off winner.  Service of the highest order right there.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

That's terrible. Was going to head there this week for lunch. The video looked like the fire was just on the outside where the pits are so hopefully no fatal structural damage 

fuck. just saw this on FB. one of the groups last night said the building was engulfed in fire but looked like it was just the pit area. guess not :(

image.thumb.png.3f7c451b6a84d7301301ecf6b67ebc14.png

Evie Mae's just put together a go fund me to keep the staff paid as they try to figure things out: https://www.gofundme.com/f/helberg-fire-relief-fund

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

That's terrible. Was going to head there this week for lunch. The video looked like the fire was just on the outside where the pits are so hopefully no fatal structural damage 

Was gonna post last night about it as a good buddy of mine was on the scene pretty quickly after the fire was put out (restoration biz).  Said it was a total loss and sent me some pics.  

Said it started in the pit room and got out of hand.  It was a bit windy last night, and the fire spread to the food truck which was parked near the building.  Both propane tanks on the truck exploded and that's what helped make the building go up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Was gonna post last night about it as a good buddy of mine was on the scene pretty quickly after the fire was put out (restoration biz).  Said it was a total loss and sent me some pics.  

Said it started in the pit room and got out of hand.  It was a bit windy last night, and the fire spread to the food truck which was parked near the building.  Both propane tanks on the truck exploded and that's what helped make the building go up.  

With actual fires/embers in all of those smokers, windy conditions are a big risk for lots of BBQ operations.  Recall that the fire at Franklin happened as Hurricane Harvey's high winds and rain made their appearance in Austin (which actually pissed me off....I had a plan that morning, because the ugly weather would mean that nobody was going to wait in line outside, we'd make a rare family trip to Franklin for lunch.  Alas, the fire that morning put the kibosh on that plan).

Not sure what they can do to prevent it, other than having stouter windbreaks, but they also need airflow in the pit rooms, so I guess it's just a risk that will be there.

• Like 2

With actual fires/embers in all of those smokers, windy conditions are a big risk for lots of BBQ operations.  Recall that the fire at Franklin happened as Hurricane Harvey's high winds and rain made their appearance in Austin (which actually pissed me off....I had a plan that morning, because the ugly weather would mean that nobody was going to wait in line outside, we'd make a rare family trip to Franklin for lunch.  Alas, the fire that morning put the kibosh on that plan).
Not sure what they can do to prevent it, other than having stouter windbreaks, but they also need airflow in the pit rooms, so I guess it's just a risk that will be there.
We were in line at Snow's when Kerry came out to tell us about the fire at Franklin. It was still dark out, so I suspect we knew before most. Got out there a little before 6:00 and were fifth in line. Those were the days.

On 11/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, DallasSooner said:

Yeah, Little Elm closed  I think that is a bad location.  

Met the former manager of that 1 a few weeks ago. He said same thing. Said also locals would bitch about price and if they ran out of any product before closing time. Said they just couldn’t appreciate how a craft bbq place worked. 

Needed a quick pickup for dinner and grabbed some most brisket at Bert's on Far West.  Honestly, it was pretty good, and at $22/lb quite the bargain these days, even compared to Rudy's.  I live just down the hill and need to patronize those guys more.  (T-Man for the still-old-school-Austin win.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Needed a quick pickup for dinner and grabbed some most brisket at Bert's on Far West.  Honestly, it was pretty good, and at $22/lb quite the bargain these days, even compared to Rudy's.  I live just down the hill and need to patronize those guys more.  (T-Man for the still-old-school-Austin win.)

Hells yes.
Turbo T-man is a rite of passage.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Down the hill? Peasant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Is Far West the last one standing?

Yep.

A few years ago, the family was out running errands and we stopped in for lunch.  My wife noted that everyone else there was a guy, and she was getting some looks being the only female there.  She comments "this is such a dude place."  Well, yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1