Texas BBQ

Washpark

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s definitely sparse out that way. I liked Stanley’s and Bodacious. I guess if you include Beaumont, 1701 was amazing the one time I had it. But yeah, not much. Will check out Mimsy’s though.

Stanley's and Bodacious (at least before Bryan left to start Sunbird, and possibly will be again) are great.  There are other places that are good, but not great as we have come to expect it these days.  For instance, Y'all's and Pat-G's near Tyler aren't the kind of place I'd get sliced brisket, but I wouldn't turn down a chopped brisket sandwich because each of those places has its own country shack thing going.  I'm not a big fan of Country Tavern, if I'm honest.  We go 90-nuthin pretty quick with BBQ joints around here. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

So, will be in Fort Worth over Memorial Day weekend with a bunch of out of state family, and figure the boys will do bbq Saturday. But where? Last time I had bbq in FW was 20 years ago at Angelos. I recall they had good pork ribs, and a great icy schooner of beer. And maybe the old-school atmosphere would be appreciated by our crowd. But are there other choices nowadays?

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, will be in Fort Worth over Memorial Day weekend with a bunch of out of state family, and figure the boys will do bbq Saturday. But where? Last time I had bbq in FW was 20 years ago at Angelos. I recall they had good pork ribs, and a great icy schooner of beer. And maybe the old-school atmosphere would be appreciated by our crowd. But are there other choices nowadays?

And you can knock out the zoo at the same time. You’re welcome.

107FC7F9-ED2B-453D-BB27-3B19EE1854F5.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

you son of a bitch.
do you remember the order? would love to hear the breakdown. 

There were 6 of us there and we wanted to bring some home for a few that were supposed to be there but could not make it. Our order was:

6lbs of brisket (3 sliced, 3 wrapped to go)
4 links of sausage (2 regular, 2 jalapeño)
2 lbs spare ribs
1 pound pork steak
Half a chicken

$277 and change.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Bet I can guess which guy did that. Done the same thing to me in the past and claimed they were out of everything. Doubtful.

Bruce? He can seem abrasive to the uninitiated.   Bruce likes to talk smack.  Yuk it up with him and he’ll be your best friend. 

It’s definitely sparse out that way. I liked Stanley’s and Bodacious. I guess if you include Beaumont, 1701 was amazing the one time I had it. But yeah, not much. Will check out Mimsy’s though.

it’s bone suck the teeth legit good.

it may not be the best you’ve had...you’ve darkened the door of far more smoked meat outposts than myself, but i’ll guarantee you’ll be more than happy with their work.

and get dessert.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Ha. Yep. He and I got to know each other better the day before the ice storms. All good.

Bruce is a working fool. He also has a gig down the street at Buffalo Grill.  

Every time I show up at Roegels Bruce knows he’s in for some lip from me.  He loves it.  

• Like 1

That’s just such a shitty attitude to have for someone in the service industry. Sure fire way to get me to never go back to an establishment. 

I kind of agree. When John was not sauced up and at the top of his game, the schtick was amusing. But Roegel’s, in my humble opinion, is middle of the road bbq. They can’t afford the schtick.
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re delicate. 

My family owns a small restaurant that I grew up working in in every facet of the business. I’m pretty damn lenient about almost anything in a restaurant as long as the food is good, but having a bad attitude/giving shitty service is something that’s just an automatic deal breaker for me. Too many places out there that are happy to serve their goods with a smile and pleasant attitude.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My family owns a small restaurant that I grew up working in in every facet of the business. I’m pretty damn lenient about almost anything in a restaurant as long as the food is good, but having a bad attitude/giving shitty service is something that’s just an automatic deal breaker for me. Too many places out there that are happy to serve their goods with a smile and pleasant attitude.

Ignore him.  he is a parasite.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Haven’t been that way in a good while either, but I’ve heard good things about Heim and Panther City.

https://heimbbq.com/

https://www.panthercitybbq.com/

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added links.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad grew up in ft worth and went to angelos recently when he was in town to meet up with an old friend... said it was worse than any of the normal east Texas fare he has. I’ve been to panther city and it was very very good. Walked by heim last weekend and it looked like a really cool spot. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Although I haven't been yet, I've heard nothing but good things about Panther City BBQ. Sheck em out, mayne 

My pops and I stopped into TX BBQ Lab today at the corner of Grant and Malcomson in Cypress (soon to move to Grant and Jones). They are currently in the convenience store that we would ride our bikes to as kids. So kind of a nostalgic place.  Very nice folks, and the guy cutting the meat seemed to be new as he gave us way more sausage than we bought.  The place has good reviews on line so we had hoped it would be solid as it’s minutes from most of my family. 

Well, it wasn’t. The brisket was dry and lacked flavor. Definitely needed more rub.  The sausage was pretty good (a beef and pork mix).  

spacer.png

On 5/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

check out Sunbird next time you are in ETX (they should be open by then)

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:49 PM, dcbc said:

Stanley's and Bodacious (at least before Bryan left to start Sunbird, and possibly will be again) are great.  There are other places that are good, but not great as we have come to expect it these days.  For instance, Y'all's and Pat-G's near Tyler aren't the kind of place I'd get sliced brisket, but I wouldn't turn down a chopped brisket sandwich because each of those places has its own country shack thing going.  I'm not a big fan of Country Tavern, if I'm honest.  We go 90-nuthin pretty quick with BBQ joints around here. 

i will be absolutely stunned if Bodacious on Mobberly is in the top 50 next time around. the ONLY way they are is if they visited before BB left.

the family that owns it married into Jordan, who then hired Bryan. they are going to have a hard time finding someone who is willing to work those hours, work that hard, innovate and NEVER be more than an employee...

what rising star just wants to be an employee? or who here who knows that family thinks they have some incredible eye for talent?

Spoiler

if they did, wouldn't Bodacious Gladwater be mentioned by anyone in ETX as good? as an up and coming place? wouldn't they be mentioned, period?

it is what it is, but they are going to be trading on Jordan and Bryan's work until the end of time.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i will be absolutely stunned if Bodacious on Mobberly is in the top 50 next time around. the ONLY way they are is if they visited before BB left.

the family that owns it married into Jordan, who then hired Bryan. they are going to have a hard time finding someone who is willing to work those hours, work that hard, innovate and NEVER be more than an employee...

what rising star just wants to be an employee? or who here who knows that family thinks they have some incredible eye for talent?

Hide contents

if they did, wouldn't Bodacious Gladwater be mentioned by anyone in ETX as good? as an up and coming place? wouldn't they be mentioned, period?

it is what it is, but they are going to be trading on Jordan and Bryan's work until the end of time.

I figured as much, but didn't want to say because I don't have anything approaching first hand knowledge of the cast of players or various moving parts.

16 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Really? I will have to stop in. I sent my dad over there last year and he gave it a big thumbs down.

honestly, you have to get some places multiple tries. they have to tune in their pits and the bigger issues, getting used to running a store front / customer flow. 

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

I figured as much, but didn't want to say because I don't have anything approaching first hand knowledge of the cast of players or various moving parts.

that's fair and reasonable.

how they handled him putting in his two weeks is indicative of them as human beings. dude puts in his 2 weeks to start his own thing (not like he is leaving to go to a competitor!) after busting his ass for years for them.

they tell him thanks, but no thanks and announce they are closing for the near future to renovate. then most of the comments on the post are positive about Bryan or Sunbird, so they lock comments.

3.5 weeks later that was their last post. no updates, no nothing.

im really fascinated to see who they end up hiring.

Spoiler

who wants to bet it's the family member currently running Bodacious Gladwater?

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

how they handled him putting in his two weeks is indicative of them as human beings. dude puts in his 2 weeks to start his own thing (not like he is leaving to go to a competitor!) after busting his ass for years for them.

they tell him thanks, but no thanks and announce they are closing for the near future to renovate. then most of the comments on the post are positive about Bryan or Sunbird, so they lock comments.

Hide contents

Maybe they can take the one that runs the restaurant on 42 ... so they can hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Hide contents

From the interview you posted earlier, I could tell they were pretty shitty to him, even though he was perfectly diplomatic about how he spoke of them.  I predict reversion to the mean for that place.  He's better off getting out from under the the name most people associate with a mediocre chain anyway. 

Edited by dcbc

My buddy swears Slow Bone is the best bbq in Dallas. He knows his shit, has run a very successful large bbq festival. Is he nuts in this? 

The BBQ is very good and worth trying. Don’t know about the best in Dallas as there’s some stiff competition now. But to each his own.

Also the fried chicken is very good so the Bill Miller comparisons are probably off base. The owner does everything well. He may also have the best burger in Dallas at Maple & Motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dcbc said:

From the interview you posted earlier, I could tell they were pretty shitty to him, even though he was perfectly diplomatic about how he spoke of them.  I predict reversion to the mean for that place.  He's better off getting out from under the the name most people associate with a mediocre chain anyway. 

couldn't agree more. he and his partner (and wife) are going to put out some great stuff and become THE place to go in Longview. him leaving / starting Sunbird was at the bottom of the front page of Longview paper so more folks know about it now than just BBQ folks.

the location is...not great...but at the same time it isn't like he is so far north of Longview that it's an issue.

either way, they have shown a ton of folks their true colors.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TxTower said:

The BBQ is very good and worth trying. Don’t know about the best in Dallas as there’s some stiff competition now. But to each his own.

Also the fried chicken is very good so the Bill Miller comparisons are probably off base. The owner does everything well. He may also have the best burger in Dallas at Maple & Motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Perkins sold it in 2016 to a group that included the chef guy there.

that said, yes M&M is damn good.