Texas BBQ

Washpark

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Chewbacca Jr. is visiting his Grandma and they want to visit Snow's on Saturday.  How early do they need to get there to make sure they get food?  I have warned them it will be early.

No joke, 0500 isn't a bad idea.  Bring chairs & some sun shade... a pop up canopy that you walk along with you.

• Hook 'Em 2

Jacksboro throwing it's hat in the smoke ring. I'll have to check them out (and work in a Herdburger).

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/dallas-food-things-to-do-this-week-june-23-27-12042946

mesquiteville_bar-b-q_wolfgang_camper.jp

For someone with no background in barbecue (save a six-month stint working at Cooper's Barbecue when he was younger), Nichols' food already epitomizes Central Texas-style.

"I just use salt and pepper and that mesquite smoke," he says. "People say mesquite is overpowering, but it's not as long as you're running a clean fire."

We're just a few bites in, and it's clear Nichols knows what he's talking about. Using slices of brisket as examples, the smokiness from mesquite is noticeable but not oppressive, and the simple salt and pepper rub formed an impressive bark on each slice. The flavor is noteworthy, especially when most places in North Texas lean towards post oak, which produces a milder smoke flavor.

Staggered into Feges' new joint on Longpoint for today's lunch with an employee of mine.  We split a pound of brisket off the fat end and a pound of ribs.  Didn't delve into links or other offerings.  

It was quite good. 

No tortillas

Pickles were OK.

No pics. 

Order at the counter and they trot it out to your table.

OU sucks.

Nice to have good bbq close to my work.

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Staggered into Feges' new joint on Longpoint for today's lunch with an employee of mine.  We split a pound of brisket off the fat end and a pound of ribs.  Didn't delve into links or other offerings.  
It was quite good. 
No tortillas
Pickles were OK.
No pics. 
Order at the counter and they trot it out to your table.
OU sucks.
Nice to have good bbq not close to my work.

Oh, I see how it is. I have to be employed by you to get an invite. Cool, cool.

At least I could have got some damn pics.

Just messing.
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh, I see how it is. I have to be employed by you to get an invite. Cool, cool.

At least I could have got some damn pics.

Just messing.

Everytime I call your sorry ass up you've already eaten bbq or you have your mouff stuffed with bbq or you're on a road trip about to eat bbq.

As far as pics, you wouldn't be interested unless there was a snake in the pic somewhere.

Edited by deadshank

Well, Snows isn't going to happen.  Grandma found out they need to be in line by 5-5:30 and that ended that excursion for Jr.  They are near Centerville.  Looking to stay within 1-1.5 hours of driving so he can get some good BBQ.  What does Shaggy recommend?  Looks like Truth in Brenham and 1775 in Aggieland are options.  Anywhere else they should go?

Well, Snows isn't going to happen.  Grandma found out they need to be in line by 5-5:30 and that ended that excursion for Jr.  They are near Centerville.  Looking to stay within 1-1.5 hours of driving so he can get some good BBQ.  What does Shaggy recommend?  Looks like Truth in Brenham and 1775 in Aggieland are options.  Anywhere else they should go?

Mimsy’s Craft BBQ in Crockett. I haven’t been but several folks here recommend it.

However, I am obviously a big fan of Truth, so I can recommend with confidence their Brenham location.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Truth in brenham served me the best plate of bbq I’ve ever had a couple years ago. It’s a small location and the line was short notice on a Sunday. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That's too bad but I certainly understand it. I love Ms Tootsie, and Snow's and Lexington in general, but like grandma, "I'm too old for this shit."

Truth in Brenham is the answer I think. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Truth in Brenham. Bring a book. Botello likes to talk. 

I’d order every meat on the menu. Everything is good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What's the line typically like for Truth in Brenham on a Sunday? Might be able to time it right on my drive back home this weekend.

I’d imagine it’s like Saturday. But I have only stopped there on the way to football games in Austin. We would get there around 10:30 and there would be 15 people in front of us.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Okie State said:
38 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’d imagine it’s like Saturday. But I have only stopped there on the way to football games in Austin. We would get there around 10:30 and there would be 15 people in front of us.

Thanks. We should be rolling through right around 10:30.

That was roughly my experience as well on a Sunday coming back from a game. Pulled in around 10:45 and there were just a handful of people in front of me. 

22 hours ago, RPM said:

For someone with no background in barbecue (save a six-month stint working at Cooper's Barbecue when he was younger),

"For a guy with no background in bbq, I mean outside of working half a year at one of the most historically legendary central Texas BBQ joints the state has..."

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, ROFL BOX said:

There's an awful lot going on in that boat - will you even be able to separate the flavors?  & How long until the hot Cheetos turn to a sogged out mess?

You'd be surprised how well hot cheetos can hold up in these types of concoctions, and how many things hot cheetos can improve.

10/10 would tear that fucking bowl up. But I'm a fatass. I gotta stop. Fuck you, Grant!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s disappointing. For the first couple of years they were open, Pinkerton’s was my go to spot. They have been wildly inconsistent in the last couple of years. Meanwhile, Tejas and Truth have been so consistent and delicious.

Grant has spent so much of his time lately in San Antonio (and fishing on the coast).  But when Robby, the tall black guy with the beard who is the pit master, is there it tends to be very good.  I go there exclusively because Grant and I are close friends, and the bar tender is a buddy of mine.  

Grant has spent so much of his time lately in San Antonio (and fishing on the coast).  But when Robby, the tall black guy with the beard who is the pit master, is there it tends to be very good.  I go there exclusively because Grant and I are close friends, and the bar tender is a buddy of mine.  

That’s nice and all. And I like that he is a fellow Longhorn, but I am not going to pay high end BBQ prices when there is a good chance it won’t be as good as a sure thing down the street.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Papa Charlie’s - was not bad at all. Brisket, ribs and chicken, damn solid. 

it’s not bbq elite but I’d gk back. Fantastic space too 
We were in the area a week or so ago and stopped by to check it out. I figured it would be empty since I hadn't heard much about it since they moved. It was packed with nowhere to park so we left. Not sure if they had an event going on or what.

52 minutes ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
Papa Charlie’s - was not bad at all. Brisket, ribs and chicken, damn solid. 

it’s not bbq elite but I’d gk back. Fantastic space too 

We were in the area a week or so ago and stopped by to check it out. I figured it would be empty since I hadn't heard much about it since they moved. It was packed with nowhere to park so we left. Not sure if they had an event going on or what.

1pm lunch today and the inside was packed 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That’s nice and all. And I like that he is a fellow Longhorn, but I am not going to pay high end BBQ prices when there is a good chance it won’t be as good as a sure thing down the street.

Definitely don't blame you.  My normal bbq bill there is like $14 as I never eat that much.  I love BBQ.  But I only really want small portions of it.

My bar tab is higher there.

Definitely don't blame you.  My normal bbq bill there is like $14 as I never eat that much.  I love BBQ.  But I only really want small portions of it.
My bar tab is higher there.

There you go then. I don’t go to a bbq joint for liquor. I go for bbq. The last time I went to Pinkerton’s it was good. Not great, but good. The previous two times were bad. One being extremely bad. I have never had a bad experience at Truth or Tejas and I have been to each more than a dozen times. I was an early proponent of Grant. In fact I had to convince several posters here that were sucking Champ’s dick to go and try Pinkerton’s. I have no ill will towards Grant, but I am not going to pretend the bbq has been as good or consistent as other Houston spots. If his attention has been distracted by opening another location, that is on him. I hope both places flourish, but right now, Houston is suffering.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There you go then. I don’t go to a bbq joint for liquor. I go for bbq. The last time I went to Pinkerton’s it was good. Not great, but good. The previous two times were bad. One being extremely bad. I have never had a bad experience at Truth or Tejas and I have been to each more than a dozen times. I was an early proponent of Grant. In fact I had to convince several posters here that were sucking Champ’s dick to go and try Pinkerton’s. I have no ill will towards Grant, but I am not going to pretend the bbq has been as good or consistent as other Houston spots. If his attention has been distracted by opening another location, that is on him. I hope both places flourish, but right now, Houston is suffering.

My visits over and the year or so prior to lockdown we’re disappointing.  Too many other good options to return anytime soon. 

7 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Never had Franklin's but looks like the wife and I will be in Austin in a couple of weekends. If I get a pick-up order, what place would you suggest to take it to for a picnic style lunch? I don't want to simply take it back to the hotel.

My place.

8 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Never had Franklin's but looks like the wife and I will be in Austin in a couple of weekends. If I get a pick-up order, what place would you suggest to take it to for a picnic style lunch? I don't want to simply take it back to the hotel.

drop off your nude wife and the bbq off at my place. Extra sauce and beans please 

BIL saved the day and took Chewy Jr to Snows this morning. They got there at 4:30 and were 129 and 130 in line. They ran out of chicken with the group ahead of them, but still got everything else they wanted. Brisket, sausage, ribs, coffee slaw and banana pudding.

Food was amazing and he got to meet Ms. Tootsie and got a picture with her. All in all, sounds like they had a good day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3