Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

Went there about 3 years ago with an friend who from out of town who was staying in the area and wanted BBQ.  Haven't been back.  On par with Dickey's.  Nuff said.

Yeah...aren't missing anything. 

On 7/2/2021 at 1:37 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Vera’s in Brownsville. Half lbs of barbacoa and brisket each.  Barbacoa was excellent. Would eat again and again. Brisket worried me on the how’s it look test, but was tender, moist and flavorful.  Made for some delicious tacos and the habanero salsa was fucking great.
wFJ5vRcZ_o.jpeg

Big Red on point but no corn tortillas?

Welp... i found out a couple of days ago that the Cyclone Corral suddenly decided to shut their doors forever, and i was there on the last day. It was a Saturday only thing that had been going on for about 40 years. I hadn't been there since I was a kid.
The DougO curse sure 'nuff killed that sumbitch. I really didn't think my review was all that harsh.

Well that blows. I’m from your part of the world and went out there more than a few times in the 90s. Big fan at that point in life. I don’t live anywhere close at this point but found myself in thorndale and Franklin over the 4th weekend. I was trying to figure out how to make a final run out there and ended up at Louie mueller instead. Not disappointed in the bbq obviously but I miss places like cyclone.

11 hours ago, castolon said:

Well that blows. I’m from your part of the world and went out there more than a few times in the 90s. Big fan at that point in life. I don’t live anywhere close at this point but found myself in thorndale and Franklin over the 4th weekend. I was trying to figure out how to make a final run out there and ended up at Louie mueller instead. Not disappointed in the bbq obviously but I miss places like cyclone.

It will be opened back up within a few months.  Place was listed for sale, and sold before it was actually listed (I was pissed, because I'd have probably tried to buy it myself).  New owners will have it back open by the fall from what I was told.  They want to get some good renovations/upgrades done first, and then have it as a Fri-Sun place from what I was told.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

It will be opened back up within a few months.  Place was listed for sale, and sold before it was actually listed (I was pissed, because I'd have probably tried to buy it myself).  New owners will have it back open by the fall from what I was told.  They want to get some good renovations/upgrades done first, and then have it as a Fri-Sun place from what I was told.  

Yeah, they could fix it up a bit by getting so A/C in there and tidy up, but still keep the old-timeyness it would be cool...and maybe take the q up a couple of notches. When I was there I had to borrow a few bucks to pay for my plate because I didn't realize they don't take cards. The lady was going to accept an IOU or something for the difference, but I was able to mooch the difference. I wonder how much profit they lost that way. She said she could take a check, LOL. I haven't carried checks in over a decade.

RIP Trish Mueller... widow of Bobby Mueller of Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor. (and Taylor High School Fightin’ Duck classmate - Class of 1963 - with Mrs. Brat)

Mother of current proprietor Wayne Mueller and former Shaggster John Mueller.

BB0F08A7-554E-4C8C-B433-3894D7477BE5.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thinking about making the trip to Brenham on Saturday for Truth. How early do I need to get there for an 11am opening?

Another option I’m considering is City Market in Luling. Haven’t been in years but loved it. How’s it been holding up?

Edited by South Austin
fuck you spellcheck

Thinking about making the trip to Brenham on Saturday for Truth. How early do I need to get there for an 11am opening?
Another option I’m considering is City Market in Luling. Haven’t been in years but loved it. How’s it been holding up?

You should be fine getting there 20-30 before opening. But double check their social media. Last weekend they closed that location because someone damage the building or something with their car.
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You should be fine getting there 20-30 before opening. But double check their social media. Last weekend they closed that location because someone damage the building or something with their car.

Sorry for partying.

I had City Market a few months ago. Brisket and sausage were both very good. It cant compete with the top end places anymore, but then again it’s about half the cost and the meat room in the back is still one of my favorite places on earth.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

city market is cash only 

went to Leroy and Lewis Saturday...as usual, they killed it. can't go wrong with anything on that menu, sides or mains. i love being able to introduce folks to beef cheeks there, those things are amazing!

haven't been since pre-COVID but man, Cosmic was rocking. that place is awesome

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I could go for some ribs and sausage from there as well as a bottle of their sauce to go.

Maybe the two times I've hit City Market have been bad days. Ribs were bad, sausage was okay. Now the sauce, I see ya there. Made the sausage better. 

Brisket was good. Pickle sucked. 

On 7/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, jimmyjazz said:

We had our rehearsal dinner at County Line on the Lake.

But, that was in 2001.  It was great for that particular event.

Knew some guys that worked there bitd and around 2005 or so they swapped out all their Oyler pits for Southern Pride gas fired pits. They burn wood, but the ones I've cooked on will maintain the temp whether you feed/stoke the fire or not, so depending on your pit guy(gal) you end up cooking brisket on a shitty convection oven with a few thousand cf of tasty natural gas. I do think the food used to be much better before that, the increase in much tastier options notwithstanding. /csb

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Maybe the two times I've hit City Market have been bad days. Ribs were bad, sausage was okay. Now the sauce, I see ya there. Made the sausage better. 

Brisket was good. Pickle sucked. 

It’s all about nostalgia for me. Their sausage is still og for me. Love that stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s all about nostalgia for me. Their sausage is still og for me. Love that stuff. 

I had their sausage before ever going in, from friends and family picking some up on the way back home etc.... It was good. The couple of times I went, it wasn't, and I was pretty sad about it. Maybe I need to try again.

Smitty's has stayed my favorite as far as sausage, and the feel of the place. Been a few years since I've been in, though.

Edited by UncleBuck

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wade’s BBQ in Lufkin. 

If you are one of those unfortunate folks that lives in East Texas, definitely try this spot out. 

spacer.png

Thank you!  There's a few decent food trucks in Nac, but nothing to get too excited about.  I'll have to try this one out.

And F you too.  😉

• Like 1

Joe’s BBQ Alvin - can’t tell you a damn thing about the bbq, but they have a $15 seafood platter that was damn great !!! Beat deal I’ve ever come across at a bbq place. 3 catfish filets, 4 shrimp, 4 oysters and two sides. Slammed and went hard. Highly recommend 

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Joe’s BBQ Alvin - can’t tell you a damn thing about the bbq, but they have a $15 seafood platter that was damn great !!! Beat deal I’ve ever come across at a bbq place. 3 catfish filets, 4 shrimp, 4 oysters and two sides. Slammed and went hard. Highly recommend 

So, Keto friendly?