Texas BBQ

Washpark

I've always wondered where the top end for brisket prices is for me to stop going to a BBQ joint. Well, I may just come across it. I love me some Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, but at $30/lb I think I'm done until pricing comes down. 1/2 lb brisket, 1/4 chicken, 1 side and drink = $28.
Prices of course have been creeping up over the years and when it went to $20/lb I still was semi-okay, as long as it was really good which Hutchins hasn't ever disappointed. Now, even their best brisket I'm not down for paying $30/lb.
Maybe they need to make up for being closed for 9 months??
Now, I'm going to sit here and get my money's worth on the cobbler and banana pudding.
This is my first trip to the dessert bar.22f16b0382404afa045060c0077ed720.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem with thinking about as a value proposition is this.

You do brisket at home and it’s pretty good.

You taste a masters and it is awesome. I’m at the point I much prefer to pay for great and I ain’t rich but 1 or 2 times a month isn’t breaking the bank. 

Lunch for one?  Sure, I can handle $24/lb or whatever.  Family dinner?  No way.  Those cretins wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

I like smoking brisket too much, regardless, plus the added bonus of "oh, sorry, yeah I'd love to go with y'all on a family hike through the Wilderness Preserve but damn the luck, I'm still tending this 14 hour brisket and I KNOW you don't want me to <hic> mess this up" (more beer).

$4/lb 40% weight loss = $6-$7/lb and I'm the hero, and I'm not wondering where that $150 went.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

plus the added bonus of "oh, sorry, yeah I'd love to go with y'all on a family hike through the Wilderness Preserve but damn the luck, I'm still tending this 14 hour brisket and I KNOW you don't want me to <hic> mess this up" (more beer).

Fx Networks GIF by Cake FX

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lunch for one?  Sure, I can handle $24/lb or whatever.  Family dinner?  No way.  Those cretins wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

I like smoking brisket too much, regardless, plus the added bonus of "oh, sorry, yeah I'd love to go with y'all on a family hike through the Wilderness Preserve but damn the luck, I'm still tending this 14 hour brisket and I KNOW you don't want me to <hic> mess this up" (more beer).

$4/lb 40% weight loss = $6-$7/lb and I'm the hero, and I'm not wondering where that $150 went.

This right here.  Plus all the leftovers.  I made a big pot of chili with my leftover brisket and it's like crack.

I go to Pinkertons usually by myself just to have some me time.  I get 3 ribs and a slice of lean.  I think it is $14 or so.  Then drink a couple dollar lone star lights.  Not a bad Thursday early afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This right here.  Plus all the leftovers.  I made a big pot of chili with my leftover brisket and it's like crack.

I go to Pinkertons usually by myself just to have some me time.  I get 3 ribs and a slice of lean.  I think it is $14 or so.  Then drink a couple dollar lone star lights.  Not a bad Thursday early afternoon Christmas morning.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Went to Tejas with my pops. BBQ was exceptional. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The owner’s retorts to Yelp idiots that complain about stupid stuff or flat out make up things is superb reading.  He cuts a wide, scorched swath and leaves no prisoners. 

Oh, how were the pickles?

• Like 1

so i had it yesterday on day 2

it was good

clean, little grease

fatty was a 5 but only just

lean was a 4+, just slightly dry

the cuts used could have something to do with it

against the north texas top shops, not as good as pecan lodge or cattleack or heim

but it was day 2

i really don't understand why they had to bring him in

basically, it's the same as before the fire, with a 20% price hike

Louie's, Taylor.

Pics are uploading out of order. $ 115 for 2 guys, will have takehome.

Beef rib was a disappoint, more like pot roast than a rib. I get the thing about the bone sliding out but the flavor was negligible.

Salt & Pepa shakers shown for scale.

That tiny toothpick flag was a new one.

Brisket from Miller's Smokehouse in Belton a couple of weeks ago was superior to this. Good smoke ring but wasn't the taste I'm used to getting here (probably my 50th time eating here).

Sausage was decently crumbly for texture, had good pepper but not a lot of actual smoke or "meat" flavor.

Oh, & we were not given a small nibbling piece as a sample... uncommon for visiting Mueller's. ¿Error / forgotsies?

Prices on the next post.

a110eaa48436b00d28928e442f7ccf00.jpg

45b8d55b62935d4fe4602d321b05f34d.jpg

071f7f0cc037ec54b7604bb972f1ffe4.jpg

34d4dfc046e2d56a117ea221c09b5770.jpg

b1673a24c7c87a9adbb0d59946d557b1.jpg

715b5500ab5d07e3205585b5a74e5afc.jpg

df905979bd04aed18e35d673f1fb2112.jpg

f7d1ee2790b1ce792b2fdc57132a3804.jpg

42775288b6ba6dd436881f40197a29c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I'm afraid meat by the pound, unless the prices drop, might be replaced in large part by other ways to serve barbecue.  It'll still be on the menu, but other barbecue options will be added to curb the sticker shock.  Places like Valentina's with awesome tacos, L&L with menu ideas that don't feature 1/2 or more of brisket, or something similar is going to be the only way for barbecue places to make the necessary margins to stay in business.  I hope the meat prices drop some because I prefer my brisket by the pound.  Just an observation.

15.50 for a brisket sandwich seems ridiculous, too. But 32 for brisket isn't terrible. 
Hopefully that's a fat sandwich. 

I’ll gladly pay $18 for the Whole Truth (brisket and spicy pepper Jack sausage). Best bbq sandwich I have had. Well, 1a and 1b being the beef rib sandwich at 1701 (but only had it once).

13 minutes ago, luke duke said:

What kind of moron chooses to spend his weekend in Brenham?

One that is passing through for a soccer game, one that is attending a soccer game in Brenham, one that is vacating College Station between swim meet prelims and finals, and originally one getting a stamp on the 2017 TM Top 25 BBQ Passport.  That's the four times I've visited.

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] a new spot for you to survey and report back while out on your snake / photo safari / BBQ expeditions 

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/local/article_fb8f05aa-0ec8-11ec-8126-5b4af5ae73eb.html

Haha, on it!

We hit it on the way to UT games. Assuming kick off is 2:30-3:30.
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, luke duke said:

We have a place relatively nearby.  And have friends with places around Roundtop and Cat Springs area.  Not too far.  I've been to Truth there.  It is fantastic.

And if you want a weekend away with the wife in beautiful accommodations with absurdly awesome food, the Inn at Dos Brisas is fantastic.