Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 7/31/2021 at 7:18 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Had a phenomenal lunch at Tejas with my younger brother and dad. Brisket, chili relleno sausage, House sausage and burnt ends. They do not fuck around. 
spacer.png

I hate you so much some times ... but I'll love you again if you remember to include Big Red on the next. Three straight now without it.

In all seriousness, your 'cue pics make a Texas boy miss home.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I hate you so much some times ... but I'll love you again if you remember to include Big Red on the next. Three straight now without it.

In all seriousness, your 'cue pics make a Texas boy miss home.

Hahaha. I’ll do my best. However, every joint that had big red, doesn’t carry now. I asked Botello at Truth one day and he said that they can’t find any Big Red. I assume it’s COVID related. Tejas doesn’t carry it anymore. Not even the corn syrup version. The last few times I went to Leroy and Lewis, Cosmic had the corn syrup version, but not the OG. 

I have standards. Much higher standards than that dipshit troll futureman.  

Here is my tray from Truth the other day. Was absolutely top shelf bbq. I ate every scrap. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:18 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Had a phenomenal lunch at Tejas with my younger brother and dad. Brisket, chili relleno sausage, House sausage and burnt ends. They do not fuck around. 

<image snipped>

My wife just caught me licking the computer monitor.  Now she says I have to go to counseling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Passing through Royse City yesterday...Hit up Smoke Sessions on a quick google from the car.

Real solid.

Only got sandwiches, because we had a long road trip ahead (don't judge).

Brisket was great, Turkey was moist...Mac n cheese and potato salad were great too.  Coleslaw was coleslaw.

The Bloody Mary's weren't ours, but we sat at the bar and watched the bartender make them.  Order one while in line and you get a 1/4lb brisket appetizer while you wait to order for real.

237724406_10222185884650755_538671936697

237404582_10222185885130767_937239310232

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

On 8/15/2021 at 10:07 AM, Tylerocks said:

Passing through Royse City yesterday...Hit up Smoke Sessions on a quick google from the car.

Real solid.

The Bloody Mary's weren't ours, but we sat at the bar and watched the bartender make them.  Order one while in line and you get a 1/4lb brisket appetizer while you wait to order for real.

237404582_10222185885130767_937239310232

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112cf1c11319bf2d0537

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Don't forget to hit up Sunbird next time - It's where Bryan and Dave moved to start their own place

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sunbirdbbq/?hl=en

Here is a tray (not mine) from earlier this month:

Well the brisket wasn’t as good as it normally is so that explains why.  I totally forgot about their new location.  I’ll go by there next week.  

Tried out Feges on Longpoint today. Been to the Greenway a couple of times before. New location is much better as far as location, parking and the space it’s in. Still have the same opinion of the BBQ, very very good bbq, but still not topping places like Tejas or Truth. Definitely better than Roegel’s and maybe Blood Brothers.  I wish they at least had a hot link.  I also picked up a piece of their PB&J chocolate cake. It was really good, but you couldn’t really taste the jelly. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tried out Feges on Longpoint today. Been to the Greenway a couple of times before. New location is much better as far as location, parking and the space it’s in. Still have the same opinion of the BBQ, very very good bbq, but still not topping places like Tejas or Truth. Definitely better than Roegel’s and maybe Blood Brothers.  I wish they at least had a hot link.  I also picked up a piece of their PB&J chocolate cake. It was really good, but you couldn’t really taste the jelly. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks great.

hC0WTAr5_o.jpeg

Va0cNJlA_o.jpeg

I prefer syrup.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 of us in the office went to Helberg for lunch today.   

3lbs Brisket

1 pint of each side (beans, mac, greens, slaw, potato salad, street corn) 

2 lbs sausage 

1 full rack of ribs 

2 1/2 chickens (they smoke the chicken to temp and then flash fry it for 2 minutes.   It’s absolutely delicious).  

it was delicious.   I’m gonna need a nap and possibly a coffee.   

653B3F51-59B1-47FB-8EF5-03BEA7C71600.jpeg

86C41CA7-ABF2-4597-8C9E-B97328EC9255.jpeg

0DBA9535-9ED9-49C0-A661-73F86BBE10A1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 4

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Please tell me there were leftovers.  That's like 10 lbs meat plus sides.

There were enough leftovers for us to have leftovers again.  We were treating our intern who will be leaving to a "Last Supper" since he got a really nice job he couldn't pass up while we were trying to groom him to work with us.  Gave he and his roommates the leftovers.  Everyone in our office is at nap/stroke level right now.  lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

There were enough leftovers for us to have leftovers again.  We were treating our intern who will be leaving to a "Last Supper" since he got a really nice job he couldn't pass up while we were trying to groom him to work with us.  Gave he and his roommates the leftovers.  Everyone in our office is at nap/stroke level right now.  lol 

I would like to apply to take his internship spot thank you 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just caught the DDD Valentina’s episode. Caught me in the feels because they are in my top 5.

Next Friday I have off. Time for a photography road trip in the new 4runner with my Pops. Definitely going to hit up a spot. Not sure which just yet. If we go NE, Mimsy’s. If we go west, another visit to burnt bean or 2M. If we head south, LaVaca (which I have been meaning to check out for a year now).

Both my grandfathers died of heart attacks, why should I buck the trend?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just caught the DDD Valentina’s episode. Caught me in the feels because they are in my top 5.

Next Friday I have off. Time for a photography road trip in the new 4runner with my Pops. Definitely going to hit up a spot. Not sure which just yet. If we go NE, Mimsy’s. If we go west, another visit to burnt bean or 2M. If we head south, LaVaca (which I have been meaning to check out for a year now).

Both my grandfathers died of heart attacks, why should I buck the trend?

Your angioplasty will reveal a carton of Winstons and 2.5 lbs of brisket off the fat end.  

I’m in awe of your prowess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, Trey3216 said:

6 of us in the office went to Helberg for lunch today.   

3lbs Brisket

1 pint of each side (beans, mac, greens, slaw, potato salad, street corn) 

2 lbs sausage 

1 full rack of ribs 

2 1/2 chickens (they smoke the chicken to temp and then flash fry it for 2 minutes.   It’s absolutely delicious).  

it was delicious.   I’m gonna need a nap and possibly a coffee.   

653B3F51-59B1-47FB-8EF5-03BEA7C71600.jpeg

86C41CA7-ABF2-4597-8C9E-B97328EC9255.jpeg

0DBA9535-9ED9-49C0-A661-73F86BBE10A1.jpeg

200w.gif

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

47 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Hutchins in Mckinney is re-opening and John Mueller is the pitmaster allegedly 

>For those who are unfamiliar with Mueller, he’s been an occasionally controversial figure in Texas barbecue, but no one doubts his pit prowess and barbecue bonafides.

the last time John Mueller was not controversial was in 1999 when he sold his part of LMBBQ back to his dad and quit.

imagine hiring a guy who has a good 20+ years of being an asshole who has fought with every partner he has ever worked with, legal issues at every turn (be they just straight up not paying taxes or permitting)

the man has opened FIVE BBQ JOINTS in the last 20 years and each of them has closed under cloudy circumstances. imagine being 5/5 when it comes to fucking up.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

>For those who are unfamiliar with Mueller, he’s been an occasionally controversial figure in Texas barbecue, but no one doubts his pit prowess and barbecue bonafides.

the last time John Mueller was not controversial was in 1999 when he sold his part of LMBBQ back to his dad and quit.

imagine hiring a guy who has a good 20+ years of being an asshole who has fought with every partner he has ever worked with, legal issues at every turn (be they just straight up not paying taxes or permitting)

the man has opened FIVE BBQ JOINTS in the last 20 years and each of them has closed under cloudy circumstances. imagine being 5/5 when it comes to fucking up.

I gave John a pink polo shirt just like mine a few years ago, and he never wore it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

such a tired bit. you’re an embarrassingly weak poster. 

4 hours ago, NoName said:

I don’t know how you can be a fan of bbq and not excited for the possibility he cranks out a couple good months here.

Sure, the quality of his meat varies wildly depending on how much he drank the night before.  But back in 2014, there were days when he made the best brisket in the city out of that trailer in East Austin.  And that was competing against Aaron Franklin and John Lewis when he was still at LA Barbecue.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, HRSchenker said:

Hutchins in Mckinney is re-opening and John Mueller is the pitmaster allegedly 

On 8/30/2021 at 12:53 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Well, chances of a stabbing in McKinney just went up 20%. I can’t see this ending well. But in the meantime…

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

On 8/30/2021 at 6:20 PM, Professor Chesney said:

I don’t know how you can be a fan of bbq and not excited for the possibility he cranks out a couple good months here.

Sure, the quality of his meat varies wildly depending on how much he drank the night before.  But back in 2014, there were days when he made the best brisket in the city out of that trailer in East Austin.  And that was competing against Aaron Franklin and John Lewis when he was still at LA Barbecue.

i generally don't like guys who are pieces of shit and John Mueller has about 20 years of showing everyone he is a piece of shit.

can he crank out great BBQ? absolutely.

is he a piece of shit? absolutely.

what do you think is more likely? that he keeps his shit together for 6 months and makes Hutchins better or that it blows up in 6 months?