Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s passable. The ribs are good enough. If you were from Connecticut, it would all be the best cue you’d ever had.

Brisket and sausage there make me cry, though.

Last I went there was probably five years ago because of a rehearsal dinner and it was not passable. Not at all. The brisket did make me cry. Blech. 

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Last I went there was probably five years ago because of a rehearsal dinner and it was not passable. Not at all. The brisket did make me cry. Blech. 

I only go there when invited for group events.  They source quality meats, and their seasonings are fine,  but they need to cook the brisket and ribs for a couple of more hours before they serve it.  Yields and all, I suppose.  Chicken is OK.  Sausage has too fine a grind to suit me.  Bread and cocktails are good!

I had Feges on Longpoint.  It was ok.  I'll try again next month to let them work out the kinks at the new location.  Brisket was just above average, ribs were average.  Sausage is forgettable.  Buddy said he'd rather eat Roegels.    

6 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I had Feges on Longpoint.  It was ok.  I'll try again next month to let them work out the kinks at the new location.  Brisket was just above average, ribs were average.  Sausage is forgettable.  Buddy said he'd rather eat Roegels.    

Feges and Roegels are same tier imo

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

First time my parents came into town my freshman year, I got to pick the restaurant.  County Line it was.  My how Austin, and my taste buds, have grown up.

In fairness, it was all-you-can-eat meat.  To an 18 yr old.....that was nirvana.

At my mother's memorial, a few of my old fraternity brothers (including a couple of their spouses who were there that day too) recalled fondly the time my parents came into town our freshman year for Easter, and decided to take me and whoever joined us for Easter services out to lunch.  To County Line we went, and my mother got to play mother hen to a bunch of hungry college kids.  She was in her element, and we got to gorge on as much meat as we could fit in our stomachs.  It was a great memory.

I don't recommend it as "the best bbq you'll ever have," but I'll never actually hate on the County Line, either.  In fact, I'll be hosting a large business dinner there this summer -- for folks from out of town, it's very Austin-y, great views from the Hill, decent enough bbq (if you stick with the ribs and chicken), pleasant atmosphere with good AC.  The County Line has its place -- perhaps as a "restaurant that serves bbq," instead of a "bbq joint."

I dunno, it's interesting.  As much as I love the great craft bbq available to us now, the more "pedestrian" bbq restaurants of our youth still have their place.  I loved picking up a chopped beef sammich and extra chopped beef to-go from Joel's in Flatonia.  I ate at Cotten's in Robstown both the day after old man Cotten died, and right before the fire that destroyed it.  I used to love meeting friends for a workday lunch at the Poke E Joe's on 6th (back when there was one there).  And I've had some great times at the Salt Lick with friends and family.  None of those are "top tier" bbq joints, but I had good meals and good times at all of them.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I share @Brisketexan's take, both on County Line as well as the older joints that were around long before the advent of high quality BBQ in Texas.

Like many others, I have fond memories of going with my parents to County Line when they came to town during my college and law school years, and as I got older I've taken out-of-towners there because it's still a great setting that captures a nice slice of Austin beauty (the 2222 location).  I still like their smoked chicken (which itself is an indictment of the BBQ as a whole) and some of their sides.  Is it in the heavy rotation?  No.  Will I continue to go there every couple years or so?  Yes.

I've never been a fan of Poke E Joe's like Brisket, but I confess that I still dine at Green Mesquite.  I went there in college, and then often when I moved back to Austin in 2003 and lived within walking distance.  As I grew older and started taking my kids there, the staff knew us by name, and they still bring me an ice cold Shiner when I sit down without me having to ask.  Sure, the quality can pale in comparison to what Austin has produced in the past decade.  But there's something to be said about an old school joint that gives you the Norm-from-Cheers treatment when you walk in the door.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I share @Brisketexan's take, both on County Line as well as the older joints that were around long before the advent of high quality BBQ in Texas.

Like many others, I have fond memories of going with my parents to County Line when they came to town during my college and law school years, and as I got older I've taken out-of-towners there because it's still a great setting that captures a nice slice of Austin beauty (the 2222 location).  I still like their smoked chicken (which itself is an indictment of the BBQ as a whole) and some of their sides.  Is it in the heavy rotation?  No.  Will I continue to go there every couple years or so?  Yes.

I've never been a fan of Poke E Joe's like Brisket, but I confess that I still dine at Green Mesquite.  I went there in college, and then often when I moved back to Austin in 2003 and lived within walking distance.  As I grew older and started taking my kids there, the staff knew us by name, and they still bring me an ice cold Shiner when I sit down without me having to ask.  Sure, the quality can pale in comparison to what Austin has produced in the past decade.  But there's something to be said about an old school joint that gives you the Norm-from-Cheers treatment when you walk in the door.

Man, when I was in college, I thought Green Mesquite was the shit.  They had an AYCE deal back in the day, too, and we loved it at age 19.  Then we went for a dinner a couple of years ago, and it made me sad.  Utterly mediocre.  But then, that's how a lot of bbq was back then.

And for Poke E Joe's, my go-to is just a good old chopped beef sandwich with pickles and onions, and a side of the cheesy baked potato casserole, topped with fresh pico.  We still hit the location in the Arboretum every coupla years if we're out running errands at lunchtime, and I always enjoy that lunch.  Their sausage is actually pretty good, too.  But that's what I stick with.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, took some folks to Sam's BBQ the other day for some local history/anthropology.  The scene and history is always good.  But the bbq was a miss this time.  The sausage is always good -- they get it from Texas Sausage Company down the street, which makes a fantastic sausage (it's where I get my deer processed, and I turn some of it into raw grind for smoking, it's great).  The ribs were good, but not great.  Not enough smoke on them, but they were good enough.  The brisket was....not good.  Not tender, needed more smoke and more cooking overall.  I haven't had that experience there before, but had it this time and was disappointed.

I'll go back, because I love the joint and the history, and it's always good chatting with Bryan Mays when he's there.  But this visit was a miss.

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, took some folks to Sam's BBQ the other day for some local history/anthropology.  The scene and history is always good.  But the bbq was a miss this time.  The sausage is always good -- they get it from Texas Sausage Company down the street, which makes a fantastic sausage (it's where I get my deer processed, and I turn some of it into raw grind for smoking, it's great).  The ribs were good, but not great.  Not enough smoke on them, but they were good enough.  The brisket was....not good.  Not tender, needed more smoke and more cooking overall.  I haven't had that experience there before, but had it this time and was disappointed.

I'll go back, because I love the joint and the history, and it's always good chatting with Bryan Mays when he's there.  But this visit was a miss.

IIRC, you introduced me to Sam’s back in a time when I wouldn’t have ventured east of 35 without a little encouragement.   I’m sure it’s surrounded by organic free-range coffee shops these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

We had our rehearsal dinner at County Line on the Lake.

But, that was in 2001.  It was great for that particular event.

I'm sure it was. 

I had Iron Works cater my wedding party back in 2004 at the Miller-Crocket House (now Hotel St. Cecelia).  I haven't been since 2019, and that was the first time in a while, but thought it was still pretty good.

28 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Was a big fan of Ben's Long Branch Barbecue -- the same location that is now Franklin Barbecue.  Always got the mutton when they had it, along with greens and cornbread.

That location has had quite the history.  Does any place do mutton barbecue these days?

Man, I remember Ben's Long Branch.  His wife was a witness for me in a case (totally unrelated to BBQ), they were great people. And it was one of my "secret bbq places the white folks don't visit" that I loved to take people to.

As for mutton, Sam's still does it, but they didn't have it yesterday, as it's really hard for them to find a consistent source of that cut.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

spacer.png

2 Tbs. butter

6 green onions, thinly sliced

1 jalapeno, seeded and diced

1/2 med. yellow onion, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 3/4 c. long grain rice

3 c. low-sodium chicken broth

1 c. heavy cream

1 1/2 c. shredded white cheddar cheese, divided

1. Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9X13 baking dish.

2. Melt butter and saute green onion, jalapeno, yellow onion, and garlic with salt and pepper until soft, around 5 min.

3. Add rice and stir to coat in butter. Add broth and cream and bring to boil, stirring.

4. Remove from heat and add 1 c. cheese. Stir to combine and pour into prepared baking dish. Spread evenly and cover with foil. 

5. Bake until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is almost cooked through, about 30 minutes.

6. Uncover and evenly sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. cheese on top. 

7. Bake an additional 15-20 min, until cheese is golden. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

2 Tbs. butter

6 green onions, thinly sliced

1 jalapeno, seeded and diced

1/2 med. yellow onion, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 3/4 c. long grain rice

3 c. low-sodium chicken broth

1 c. heavy cream

1 1/2 c. shredded white cheddar cheese, divided

1. Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9X13 baking dish.

2. Melt butter and saute green onion, jalapeno, yellow onion, and garlic with salt and pepper until soft, around 5 min.

3. Add rice and stir to coat in butter. Add broth and cream and bring to boil, stirring.

4. Remove from heat and add 1 c. cheese. Stir to combine and pour into prepared baking dish. Spread evenly and cover with foil. 

5. Bake until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is almost cooked through, about 30 minutes.

6. Uncover and evenly sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. cheese on top. 

7. Bake an additional 15-20 min, until cheese is golden. 

Was just bustin' your balls, but appreciate it! Will have to try.

• Hook 'Em 1

We always hit up CL whenever the BIL came in from Cali for a visit, don't recall it ever being too bad.  My early exposure to Texas BBQ was back in my Church's days with a short walk down Wm. Cannon to Bill Millers, mostly for tea & brownies, then it was The Pit BB on Westgate and later on Cameron Rd.  When I worked in Lockhart, Krueze, Black's and even Chisolm Trail were lunch/dinner fodder. 

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

then it was The Pit BB on Westgate 

In grad school I dated a girl who worked at The Pit on 5th, pretty close to I-35.  I got a lot of free 'Q.  It wasn't great, but the price was right.  We'd hang with the drunks, politicians, and drunk politicians at the back bar (O Henry's???) after her shift, which was always an adventure.

• Hook 'Em 1

There were multiple The Pit locations in and around Austin.  They were all franchised, most of them with different owners.  Richard Jones owned more than one, and then later split, ditched the franchise, and established a couple locations of Richard Jones BBQ separately.

They were all of very different quality because they weren't strictly managed at the corporate level.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Was that the same as the Pit on Burnet? Holy shit that place sucked. I’d rather go to Dickey’s.

Same general concept, different owners.  Let me defend myself by saying "consistent ass and free food".  I mean, I was 23.  I wasn't discerning.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

The one on Burnet used to have the 5 chopped beef sandwiches for $5. Nothing wrong with that. 

Yep.  Back when the boy was playing little league, sometimes I'd swing by and pick some up to have at the field for dinner.  They weren't greatness, but they were a plenty good dinner sitting in the bleachers.

Orlando (of the Taco Shack) bought the one on Burnet, and put some effort into quality and consistency.  They use the Pit brisket in some of their Taco Shack tacos now, even -- I've had it in that context, and it's pretty good.

Crummy old BBQ joints from the days of youth are fond rememberances.  

My crappy 4th grade "Navajo" baseball team in the Arlington Optimist League was sponsored by Larry's BBQ.  Larry's BBQ took over a defunct Zuider Zee location which included a windmill (similar to the Zuider Zee shown in the picture) to complete the re-purposed image of a bbq joint thrown together on a few hunderd bucks, baling wire and several odd lengths of pipe.  

Zuider Zee Oyster Bar in Tulsa Oklahoma Photograph by Wernher Krutein

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

There were multiple The Pit locations in and around Austin.  They were all franchised, most of them with different owners.  Richard Jones owned more than one, and then later split, ditched the franchise, and established a couple locations of Richard Jones BBQ separately.

They were all of very different quality because they weren't strictly managed at the corporate level.

Richard Jones by Westgate may have been the first place I ever had BBQ.  It's also my dad's name so we'd randomly get calls at home asking if we catered.

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Vera’s in Brownsville. Half lbs of barbacoa and brisket each.  Barbacoa was excellent. Would eat again and again. Brisket worried me on the how’s it look test, but was tender, moist and flavorful.  Made for some delicious tacos and the habanero salsa was fucking great.
wFJ5vRcZ_o.jpeg

My love for barbacoa cannot be overstated.  We used to do it at my grandparents' ranch WAY back in the day.  As the patriarch of the family, my grandfather got the privilege of the ojos.  I didn't get it at the time.  I do now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, Brisketexan said:

As much as I love the great craft bbq available to us now, the more "pedestrian" bbq restaurants of our youth still have their place.  I loved picking up a chopped beef sammich and extra chopped beef to-go from Joel's in Flatonia.  I ate at Cotten's in Robstown both the day after old man Cotten died, and right before the fire that destroyed it.  I used to love meeting friends for a workday lunch at the Poke E Joe's on 6th (back when there was one there).  And I've had some great times at the Salt Lick with friends and family.  None of those are "top tier" bbq joints, but I had good meals and good times at all of them.

Love me some Cotten's having grown up in Corpus Christi.  One of my four food groups growing up was 5 chopped beef sammiches for $1 at Roy's BBQ in CC, and the fact that there was a location on Staples across from King HS insured that I never ate a cafeteria meal there in three years.  God I miss those wonderful meals almost as much as the wonderful people who cooked them and knew me by my name when I came to see them.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, DougO said:

Was at Cyclone Corral this weekend with a large group. Kind of a neat place way out in the boonies BBQ was edibly OK but not noteworthy, no pics. The sausage was really good, though. Probably not really worth the drive, price or sweat factor, but OK for nostalgia purposes. I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Welp... i found out a couple of days ago that the Cyclone Corral suddenly decided to shut their doors forever, and i was there on the last day. It was a Saturday only thing that had been going on for about 40 years. I hadn't been there since I was a kid.

The DougO curse sure 'nuff killed that sumbitch. I really didn't think my review was all that harsh.

• Haha 1

Any recommendations for a BBQ spot north of say 183/35?

or more accurately north of Stiles Switch? Meeting a buddy who lives in the North Austin/South RR Area and looking for a different place than Stiles Switch (which is where we usually end up)

Interstellar BBQ is on 620 about a mile or so west of 183.  Everything I've had there was really good.  I think they are closed for a few days this week, though.

Brotherton Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville is also really good.

Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock is also co-owned by Brotherton.  Sit down and order as opposed to standing in line.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Interstellar BBQ is on 620 about a mile or so west of 183.  Everything I've had there was really good.  I think they are closed for a few days this week, though.

Brotherton Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville is also really good.

Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock is also co-owned by Brotherton.  Sit down and order as opposed to standing in line.

THANK YOU!

aw man haven't been to Black Iron since literally like 2 weeks after they took it over. maybe we will end up there or i can actually convince him to do the drive further south to Leroy and Lewis haha

Just now, NoName said:

THANK YOU!

aw man haven't been to Black Iron since literally like 2 weeks after they took it over. maybe we will end up there or i can actually convince him to do the drive further south to Leroy and Lewis haha

When are you going?  Black Iron and Liberty aren't open until Wednesday.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, 4th&Five said:

Richard Jones by Westgate may have been the first place I ever had BBQ.  It's also my dad's name so we'd randomly get calls at home asking if we catered.

At one point, there was an RJ Pit BBQ near Sunset Valley that was open 24/7. Maybe it was at Westgate. We'd go there at 2am after a night of drinks on 6th street, and it was glorious.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've driven by this place on Braker Lane several times but have yet to try it.  You be the first and report back.

Oakwood BBQ

Went there about 3 years ago with an friend who from out of town who was staying in the area and wanted BBQ.  Haven't been back.  On par with Dickey's.  Nuff said.