Texas BBQ

Washpark

Went to Truth on Warshintun today.  Had brisket off that fat end (life is too short for lean brisket), ribs and the pepperjack sausage.   

It was very good.  Not over or under smoked.  All 3 meats were perfectly cooked.  

No pics 

No tortillas

Pickles were ok

Called @Patricio Swayze AFTER I left. 

OU sucks

aggy is booger eating morons  

Swing hard in case you hit it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

my friend who went Saturday said the specials were fantastic, especially those boudin balls.

glad that Bryan and Dave are out doing their own thing.

Spoiler

side note: Bodacious Mobberly is *STILL* closed with no updates since their post on 5/4 that they posted, then locked when the comments were pro Bryan lol

this is a damn good looking tray

60d37577a262a.image.jpg?resize=1200,973

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

Was at Cyclone Corral this weekend with a large group. Kind of a neat place way out in the boonies BBQ was edibly OK but not noteworthy, no pics. The sausage was really good, though. Probably not really worth the drive, price or sweat factor, but OK for nostalgia purposes. I haven't been there since I was a kid.

• Like 1

Had the chance to try a new trailer here in the NW Hills hood - Tinney’s.

Just needed a snack for the boy and me, so I got a little bit of brisket and turkey (boy wanted a turkey sammich). It was solid “craft BBQ.” You know, it really has gotten to where you can get damned good bbq at a bunch of places.

Was it the best I’ve ever had? No. Is it a “destination” type place? Nope. Was it better than anything available in town 10-15 years ago? Yep. If you’re in the hood and want to grab some damned good cue, swing by, avoid a line, and thank god that you’re living in the golden era of craft bbq (I remember what “restaurant bbq” was for the most part in the 70s-2000 or so….it was institutional, mediocre junk).

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Had the chance to try a new trailer here in the NW Hills hood - Tinney’s.

Just needed a snack for the boy and me, so I got a little bit of brisket and turkey (boy wanted a turkey sammich). It was solid “craft BBQ.” You know, it really has gotten to where you can get damned good bbq at a bunch of places.

Was it the best I’ve ever had? No. Is it a “destination” type place? Nope. Was it better than anything available in town 10-15 years ago? Yep. If you’re in the hood and want to grab some damned good cue, swing by, avoid a line, and thank god that you’re living in the golden era of craft bbq (I remember what “restaurant bbq” was for the most part in the 70s-2000 or so….it was institutional, mediocre junk).

The smoked pork chop stuffed with polenta intrigues me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Is this the trailer set up next to Sweet Caroline’s (or whatever it is now) in the YPW parking lot?  

That would be awesome as it’s only a 5 min walk.  May have to see if they would allow me to bring a sixer and move a happy hour there.

Yep, that's where it is.  Don't see why they wouldn't allow it -- he has a couple of picnic tables in the shade set up.  I've seen folks sitting there and chowing down.

We'll probably do a "full meal" order there sometime soon to get more of a taster, but I went with a sample of the brisket just to see if he knows what he's doing.  He does, and that's really cool.

Seriously, if you've been in Austin (or any other Texas city) long enough, you remember when your neighborhood barbecue options were just places like Poke E Joe's (to be fair, I still enjoy a Poke E Joe's chopped beef sandwich from time to time).  Now....there are enough great "craft barbecue" options in Austin that I haven't even tried half of them (e.g., I've never been to Interstellar).  And we've now got one in the freaking parking lot of our neighborhood grocery store.  That's really cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'll never stop loving a Turbo T-man.

Mix it up a little from time to time.  Back in the day when the MLK location was a short walk down the alley and I ate there multiple times per week, I would occasionally sub chicken, turkey, or deboned rib meat for the sausage. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Mix it up a little from time to time.  Back in the day when the MLK location was a short walk down the alley and I ate there multiple times per week, I would occasionally sub chicken, turkey, or deboned rib meat for the sausage. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

I used to take dates there. And yes, we’d walk down the alley to get there.

I was high-class.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I used to take dates there. And yes, we’d walk down the alley to get there.

I was high-class.

There is a certain appeal to taking a date to a place where you are treated like royalty.  I was in town several years ago, and I had not been to Bert’s in a long time.  I told my then fiancée that it wasn’t the best bbq, but it held a certain nostalgic appeal to me.  I walked in the door and Tom stopped what he was doing and came out from behind the counter and shook my hand.  Back in the day, I could walk in on the last few days of the month, pay with a check, and ask them not to deposit it until the 1st.  Small things like that go a long way with me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, that's where it is.  Don't see why they wouldn't allow it -- he has a couple of picnic tables in the shade set up.  I've seen folks sitting there and chowing down.

We'll probably do a "full meal" order there sometime soon to get more of a taster, but I went with a sample of the brisket just to see if he knows what he's doing.  He does, and that's really cool.

Seriously, if you've been in Austin (or any other Texas city) long enough, you remember when your neighborhood barbecue options were just places like Poke E Joe's (to be fair, I still enjoy a Poke E Joe's chopped beef sandwich from time to time).  Now....there are enough great "craft barbecue" options in Austin that I haven't even tried half of them (e.g., I've never been to Interstellar).  And we've now got one in the freaking parking lot of our neighborhood grocery store.  That's really cool.

Poke E Joe’s pork tenderloin isn’t bad. One of the few places that serves it. 

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

There is a certain appeal to taking a date to a place where you are treated like royalty.  I was in town several years ago, and I had not been to Bert’s in a long time.  I told my then fiancée that it wasn’t the best bbq, but it held a certain nostalgic appeal to me.  I walked in the door and Tom stopped what he was doing and came out from behind the counter and shook my hand. 

The young guy who took over front of house management duty at Nuevo Leon was that way.  He remembered your name after visit #1.  Dates would look at me like I was big time, and I'd be trying to distract them from the fact that he knew almost every customer's name and would greet them personally.

I miss that place.  No BBQ.

On 6/26/2021 at 4:47 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Pinkertons Fiesta Party

C24522B9-8A33-42D2-8494-D07EE980FD0D.jpeg

DD49DCCF-EEA9-4630-9BC6-13682FC7C5B8.jpeg

Never tried Pinkerton's in Houston, but was able to try the new SA location a couple of months back. 

Brisket was legit. Sausage was legit. Ribs had a good flavor but were a bit too "fally" off the bone for us. That smoked duck or whatever jambalaya was really good, and a different twist. Beans and potato salad were good. Slaw good. Mac n cheese had some ginger shit going on with it and we just couldn't do it.

Really nice place, both inside with a nice bar, and outside with the large green space.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Never tried Pinkerton's in Houston, but was able to try the new SA location a couple of months back. 

Brisket was legit. Sausage was legit. Ribs had a good flavor but were a bit too "fally" off the bone for us. That smoked duck or whatever jambalaya was really good, and a different twist. Beans and potato salad were good. Slaw good. Mac n cheese had some ginger shit going on with it and we just couldn't do it.

Really nice place, both inside with a nice bar, and outside with the large green space.

I really like the jalapeno cheddar sausage he has. I agree about the fall off the bone with the ribs but my wife hates ribs and she likes theirs.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I really like the jalapeno cheddar sausage he has. I agree about the fall off the bone with the ribs but my wife hates ribs and she likes theirs.

Not big on cheese in my sausage, but the reg jalapeno was awesome.

Also forgot to mention the jalapeno cheese rice. It was really good.

Need to try the boudin and turkey next time.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Next time you go down to the SA location hit me up, I'll meet you down there for some cue and drinks! 

I enjoy that spot as well. He was telling me next year he's going to try and reserve the block around the spot and get some bigger names in Texas/Red Dirt scene to come out and play.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

My wife has reverse engineered that jalapeno cheese rice.  It is so good.  Easy to make also.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, Bert's was rarely a first-date destination.  For first dates, I went with someplace classier, like Milto's, or North China.  I'm not a barbarian.

Let's face it, you are a barbarian.  But take a girl to Milto's and she's sure to see past that.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, DougO said:

Was at Cyclone Corral this weekend with a large group. Kind of a neat place way out in the boonies BBQ was edibly OK but not noteworthy, no pics. The sausage was really good, though. Probably not really worth the drive, price or sweat factor, but OK for nostalgia purposes. I haven't been there since I was a kid.

it's more about atmosphere and quantity than it is about quality 

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s passable. The ribs are good enough. If you were from Connecticut, it would all be the best cue you’d ever had.

Brisket and sausage there make me cry, though.

First time my parents came into town my freshman year, I got to pick the restaurant.  County Line it was.  My how Austin, and my taste buds, have grown up.