So excited to go to the SEC with these Tennessee assholes

TexasEd

DAA27C58-43A0-4E0B-B41B-C04ED694D071.thumb.jpeg.fee9917fd0bd5fd64359351d46e2de9c.jpeg

To add some context, in addition to that game being a night game with a full day of drinking to build up to Kiffin’s return, the refs called back a strip sack TD in the first half. 

Then Ole Miss had more players rolling around on the ground than an Italy-Mexico soccer game (28 stoppages of play for “injuries”) to slow down Tennessee’s HUNH offense. When the Tennessee TE appeared to have converted a 4th and 24 late in the game and the refs spotted it a full yard short, the fans just lost it.

Things weren’t quite as bad as the Okie Lite game in 2015, but if that had been a night game, I wonder if a few things wouldn’t have been thrown at the end of that game as well. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

With the exception of Vandy, there are no “good” SEC fans. There are fanbases that handle losses better than the others. 

It just means more.

We need to get ready for that, we’ll be coming in with a much bigger target on our back than the other four expansion SEC teams did. 

DAA27C58-43A0-4E0B-B41B-C04ED694D071.thumb.jpeg.fee9917fd0bd5fd64359351d46e2de9c.jpeg
To add some context, in addition to that game being a night game with a full day of drinking to build up to Kiffin’s return, the refs called back a strip sack TD in the first half. 
Then Ole Miss had more players rolling around on the ground than an Italy-Mexico soccer game (28 stoppages of play for “injuries”) to slow down Tennessee’s HUNH offense. When the Tennessee TE appeared to have converted a 4th and 24 late in the game and the refs spotted it a full yard short, the fans just lost it.

Things weren’t quite as bad as the Okie Lite game in 2015, but if that had been a night game, I wonder if a few things wouldn’t have been thrown at the end of that game as well. 

Corn don’t grow on rocky top, dirt’s too rocky by far,
That’s why on good ole Rocky Top, we get our corn from a jar.
  • Like 1

"Tennessee, Jeremy Pruitt locked in $12 million game of chicken"

Tennessee and its former coach are locked in a game of chicken with a $12 million prize.

The Vols fired Jeremy Pruitt for cause on Jan. 18 and, as Blake Toppmyer details for the Knoxville News-Sentinel, the coach's camp is willing to burn the whole athletics department down if they don't fork over the buyout.

Pruitt is represented by Michael Lyons, a Dallas-based attorney whom astute readers will recall represented David Beaty in his case of Kansas trying to gin up an NCAA investigation to get out of its $3 million buyout. In that case, Lyons ended up getting Beaty $2.55 million and a letter from the NCAA saying not only was his client not guilty on all charges, they didn't even find anything to charge him with. (Worth noting: Former video coordinator Jeff Love got the same letter without hiring a lawyer.)

In this case, Lyons didn't deny Pruitt may have committed and/or overseen NCAA violations, but that Tennessee was aware of violations committed before and around Pruitt and didn't do anything about it.

Among the people whose records Lyons wants preserved are: Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee’s former football coach and later the athletics director who hired Pruitt; former football coach Butch Jones; current football assistant coach Willie Martinez, who also worked for Jones; former football assistant Tommy Thigpen, who is now on staff at North Carolina; former associate AD Carmen Tegano; men’s basketball coach Rick Barnes; Chancellor Donde Plowman; donor Larry Pratt; and AAU basketball coach and former Vols player Bobby Maze.

“We’re not here to bluff," Lyons said Tuesday.

"I can promise you that we’ve investigated it very carefully," he added, when asked about the lack of specific details regarding the allegations and individuals referenced in his letter, "and I’m not going to give them and spoil the surprise of what we have, but you can rest assured that we’ve done our homework.”

On the flip side, Tennessee essentially shrugged its shoulders and called Lyons' bluff.

“Your letter contains no denials of your client’s actions,” UT general counsel Ryan Stinnett wrote in response. “Instead, you raise vague and unsupported allegations of other violations by the University and threaten to embarrass the University publicly by revealing these alleged violations.

“The University emphatically denies these allegations and will not be intimidated into settling with your client based on your unsupported assertions.”

Lyons has given Tennessee until Oct. 29 -- next Friday -- to fork over $12 million or a suitable amount close to $12 million or he'll file a lawsuit on his client's behalf.

https://footballscoop.com/news/jeremy-pruitt-michael-lyons-12-million-tennessee-buyout-lawsuit

On 10/18/2021 at 9:28 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

With the exception of Vandy, there are no “good” SEC fans. There are fanbases that handle losses better than the others. 

Having been to a number of SEC stadiums, this is a stupid take. I’ve never had a bad experience at any of them and they are typically great game day experiences.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Meh.  We don’t win conference championships now so it really won’t change things.  I mean we have won 7 since 1980, 2 since 2000, and zero the last 12 years.  The SEC may be our only chance to say "Hey, we will take it in the ass more often but since it didn't happen in the state of Texas, maybe no one will hear about it".

FIFY

• 11 months later...

Definitely go to Neyland, preferably on a chilly October day. Visitors are parked in the nosebleed section overlooking the river. Neyland has the best natural grass field I’ve ever seen. One game my crew attended witnessed a dual flyover by a B-29 and a B-17 trailing red, white and blue smoke. They used to have a guy riding a jet black Tennessee walking horse around the field pregame, which was cool, but I think they retired that in lieu of their band up and down playing Rocky Top over and over. The team running out through the T is okay. I’m 1-1 in Neyland but haven’t been in about 12 years. LSU is another good away trip but don’t start any shit or they’ll be dragging the Achafalaya next day for your corpse. Don’t stay in Baton Rouge but in New Orleans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Dad actually coached a couple of players, during the Johnny Majors era, from DeSoto, TX.

We would watch the “Jefferson Pilot” game of the week, which always had Tennessee, it seemed home or away.

We always wanted to go and watch those players first hand, but timing never let us.

We’re talking mid- ‘80s. To have three players sign on “National Signing Day” and Johnny Majors fly in for that says something.

Hook’em!!!

We actually had four players from that era, as the transfer from the university of Houston, saw more action as a nose guard, and had the most attention - TV wise. I’ll always root for the UT volunteers because of those few players.

Hook’em !!!

i've heard neyland is like pyle - actual capacity would drop by 10000 if they actually complied with fire code

Seats are fine, sight lines are good from wherever. It’s a nice stadium and the fans are nice enough. They think there is some rivalry between us which is funny over the UT moniker. I would like to say Toronto? Toledo?

Woopdie fucking Doo Tennessee. Not the first name or even 2nd, 3rd, or 4th name I thought of when I found out we were going to the SEC. But yeah, Rocky Top is cool and all, although I never heard anyone from the Texas perspective say anything about "who is the real UT?", so that might just be one of their hangups. ok , cool, hook 'em