Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

If Drones flips to us, does that mean Milroe is gone?

The idea of Carl's premise is that Milroe keeps flirting with Bama and Miami, which is annoying the staff, and if they decided to get fed up with it Drones would flip.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Update: 

It appears that they are still working to post the uncommitted defensive players

They LOVE Cam'Ron Valdez. "Star in the making".

Also, it appears that this will culminate in national position group rankings as well as a final group of 25 SI All-Americans. It's a smart concept to blend the rankings model with the AA model. Especially when you only have to deal with a class at a time and can react to senior tape in real-time.

53 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That eval of James Brock popped out at me. He's VERY high on him.

He's not a big fan of our boy Drones, which is saying something because most of these seem pretty sunshine-y.

No Ezra is weird.

The delta between what Texas recruiting writers and literally everybody else (P5 staffs, national writers) thinks of him is absurdly high.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s pretty much impossible to tell what kind of a recruiter a KSU position coach was under Snyder. They just don’t go for big names like most schools. Having said that, we had a great chance of bringing in a known elite recruiter at the spot, be it Samples, Jones, or even Carrier. 

Coleman better have all our talented, young WRs playing like All-Americans this season, or this will only get worse. Oh, and good thing Herman took forever to promote Coleman so we also lost out on blue-chipper Quentin Johnston in 2020. 

1 hour ago, destroya said:

That’s my biggest gripe with the Coleman situation. Herman should have cut bait with Meh midseason and promoted Coleman to give him a chance to establish his bona fides. 

That is maddening that Herman sat and watched Mehringer burn it to the ground when Coleman was there all along. At least Orlando was liked by his players. 

So basically Coleman needs to develop dudes like Jake Smith, Eagles, Woodard, and Washington into all conference talents the way OU does.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

That is maddening that Herman sat and watched Mehringer burn it to the ground when Coleman was there all along. At least Orlando was liked by his players. 

So basically Coleman needs to develop dudes like Jake Smith, Eagles, Woodard, and Washington into all conference talents the way OU does.

Pretty much. I tend to think Coleman will be a really good coach of the position, and he has a boat load of young, raw talent to work with, so if he has the goods, our guys will excel and the production will do the bulk of the recruiting for him. But that also all assumes we have a season this spring or fall. If not, then barring a Carrington miracle, we’ll struggle at WR recruiting for both the 2021 and 2022 classes. Hopefully 2022 has a couple elite WR talents that are diehard Longhorn fans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

SI All-American candidates have been announced. There are 1,000 candidates and they did (shockingly good) evals for all of them.

Here's UT: https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/si-all-american-watch-list-texas-longhorn-commits-and-key-targets

And here's Texas: https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/si-all-american-football-candidates-in-texas

You have to URL hack Derrick Harris and add the jr

Evals done by John Garcia Jr., spent a long time at Scout. He seems to like Cain, Harris, and Conner more than most. Very good eval on Blackwell. Much higher on Johnson than Ish. Still working through the evals on targets. 

Da fuq?

Prospect: Preston Stone
Vitals: 6-foot-2, 190 pounds
Position: Quarterback
School: Dallas (Texas) Parish Episcopal 
Committed to: SMU
Projected Position: Wide Receiver

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Works with strong motor?  WTH?  Did Looch write this?

He doesn't have any burst needed for either position.  The play at the 40 second mark seems like they slowed the video down.  He's slow off the line, slow out of stance, slow in his cuts--he's tall, maybe good hands, will put his body in front of someone but it's difficult to see how he's finishing blocks playing against much smaller competition, has long arms and a frame that could fill out. There's nothing sudden about him.  I can see why camps are favored--can see guys against similar size in competition.  He looks like a project that maybe can contribute his second or third year.     

Edited by Mdhorn

22 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

The Texas Longhorn twitter account retweeted their own 🤘 from 4/24. The day that Greg Brown committed to Texas... is there some coincidence or meaning behind this retweet? 

I would assume it's the long awaited Jaylen Waddle transfer 

25 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

The Texas Longhorn twitter account retweeted their own 🤘 from 4/24. The day that Greg Brown committed to Texas... is there some coincidence or meaning behind this retweet? 

Verified accounts can't tweet right now because Twitter got hacked, so all the verified accounts are retweeting old stuff as a "joke"? Not sure what you'd call it.

8 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Kyron Drones, impending Baylor->Texas flip per hornfromdallas, is getting a huge bump in the 2021 rankings update post-Elite 11. Up to #122 overall.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-recruiting-rankings-update-2021-top-quarterbacks-149149349/

https://247sports.com/Player/Kyron-Drones-46081020/

Reveal hidden contents

The other player who benefited the most from this event in our eyes was Baylor commit Kyron Drones. Drones jumped from a high end three-star with an 89 rating to No. 122 overall in the Top247. He’s now the No. 15 overall quarterback in the country and really opened a lot of eyes. 

When seeing a player blow up at an event, the safe thing is to never get too excited until you go back and see if his tape and numbers correspond with what we just saw live. Drones put up video game numbers in leading his Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek to a 16-0 record and a state title. 

He threw for 3,390 yards and 46 touchdowns while rushing for another 825 yards and 18 scores. He has a powerful 6-2, 200 pound frame and a ton of twitch in his game. The ball jumps out of his hand and his arm strength was live all three days. More than that, Drones showed he’s not just a big arm; he’s a natural thrower and was accurate to all three levels of the field. 

Drones can continue to improve mechanically and refine some things there but we love where his game is headed. He’s also one of the youngest signal callers in this group is still just 16 years old so he’s far from hitting his physical ceiling. When you combine all the physical tools, the arm and athleticism, with his high compete level, Baylor fans should be very excited. 

4.9 40 just screams dual threat

36 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

4.9 40 just screams dual threat

I will give one caveat here (And you know I love measurables.) - Drones is just 16 years old. Caleb Williams will turn 19 in a couple of months. Not to turn Drones into the next Moro Ojomo, but it's probably relevant that he ran that 40 at 15. 

Drones last season 3390 yards 46 TD 10 INT.  He also had 825 yards rushing (6.2 ypc) with another 18 TDs against some good competition. I don't think he's going to be Vince, but he can do more than just move the chains, despite that 4.9. 

His rating increase makes sense though, Drones was easily one of the best QBs at the Elite 11 (he looked top 4 to me) and routinely showed that he's much further along as a passer than Caleb Wiliams. His frame is outstanding (esp given his age) and the ball explodes out of his hand. He physically looks more college ready than just about anyone that was there, despite giving up 2 years to most of the other Elite 11 guys. Add in a winner's mentality and it's an easy sell for me. It's clear that the services had never truly evaluated him because they were surprised by the way he played and the throws he made, but everything he was doing was evidenced in his Junior year. FWIW -- Drones' teammate Randy Masters (2022 WR) is legit.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I will give one caveat here (And you know I love measurables.) - Drones is just 16 years old. Caleb Williams will turn 19 in a couple of months. Not to turn Drones into the next Moro Ojomo, but it's probably relevant that he ran that 40 at 15. 

Drones last season 3390 yards 46 TD 10 INT.  He also had 825 yards rushing (6.2 ypc) with another 18 TDs against some good competition. I don't think he's going to be Vince, but he can do more than just move the chains, despite that 4.9. 

His rating increase makes sense though, Drones was easily one of the best QBs at the Elite 11 (he looked top 4 to me) and routinely showed that he's much further along as a passer than Caleb Wiliams. His frame is outstanding (esp given his age) and the ball explodes out of his hand. He physically looks more college ready than just about anyone that was there, despite giving up 2 years to most of the other Elite 11 guys. Add in a winner's mentality and it's an easy sell for me. It's clear that the services had never truly evaluated him because they were surprised by the way he played and the throws he made, but everything he was doing was evidenced in his Junior year. FWIW -- Drones' teammate Randy Masters (2022 WR) is legit.

Weird they'd be surprised, his team has plenty of other big prospects on it, including in the grade above.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I don’t necessarily share the view, but some houston coaches think he’s better than Milroe 

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Pretty much. I tend to think Coleman will be a really good coach of the position, and he has a boat load of young, raw talent to work with, so if he has the goods, our guys will excel and the production will do the bulk of the recruiting for him. But that also all assumes we have a season this spring or fall. If not, then barring a Carrington miracle, we’ll struggle at WR recruiting for both the 2021 and 2022 classes. Hopefully 2022 has a couple elite WR talents that are diehard Longhorn fans. 

"package deals" rarely work out, but it's a good sign that Burton wants to play with Ewers. It's likely that if we land Ewers, we land Burton as well 

Suchomel

”I talked to Erick Cade last night (full report in the War Room) but this feels like one that's not getting enough attention. He told me he's basically down to Texas, Bama, LSU, Arizona State and Ohio State. 

Cade told me he's done a bunch of zoom calls with staffs from each school, including most of the head coaches. He's also done virtual visits with all five, so that makes me think they're all prioritizing him. 

If I'm guessing right now, I'd probably put Bama as the team to beat (assuming it has room) but he had some good things to say about Texas and Herb Hand.”

I’m skeptical that he’ll be a take for Bama (unless they miss on Brocks), LSU, or Ohio State 

Chatter on Sooner boards that 5* DL J.T. Tuimoloau may be moving to Dallas.  Probably wouldn't mean anything as we don't appear to be a factor in this recruitment, but it's getting Sooner boards thinking they could be in it.

https://247sports.com/player/j-t-tuimoloau-46048440/

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I just don't see it watching Cade's hudl.  Jack Leyrer and Oyetade look much better.  Somebody change my mind.

I actually remember liking it a lot when I watched it a few months ago. Probably deserves another pass though 

i forgot to post this 2 days ago but where is that fucc boi who called me out about my blackshire/brock bros bama news

apologize to carl right now 

the kid was going to commit on the day i said he would but his mom asked him to change last minute 

https://twitter.com/KendrickBlacks1/status/12832191486848245821283219148684824582

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

i forgot to post this 2 days ago but where is that fucc boi who called me out about my blackshire/brock bros bama news

apologize to carl right now 

the kid was going to commit on the day i said he would but his mom asked him to change last minute 

https://twitter.com/KendrickBlacks1/status/12832191486848245821283219148684824582

Carl dropping bombs!

14685EF2-B852-4B70-BF7F-BFB0E3254F19.gif

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fud said:

He's also done virtual visits with all five, so that makes me think they're all prioritizing him...

...I’m skeptical that he’ll be a take for Bama (unless they miss on Brocks), LSU, or Ohio State 

Wut.

Edited by Bevo14

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

The last line, outside of the quotes, was my thoughts. I doubt he'll be a take for those three teams.

Ah I see. Well at minimum he's probably a contingency plan for them if they're talking to him, right?

Edited by Bevo14

9 hours ago, Fud said:

I actually remember liking it a lot when I watched it a few months ago. Probably deserves another pass though 

I really like the SI evals. The one's I can validate, I agree with. OL is not a strong point for me, so I'll trust others to shit on this if you disagree

Frame: Huge. Massive shoulders, broad chest and wide waist. Long, developing arms. Natural girth across lower body. Room for more weight, but lean muscle and composition will be emphasis. 

Athleticism: Good feet in the phone booth; chops with speed and power. Limited overall mobility due to lack of hip flexibility. Average speed as puller and in open field. Natural strength overwhelms, but middling explosion and pop. 

Instincts: At his best drive-blocking down LOS; routinely flattens defenders. Comfortable working combo block to second level. Not especially nasty; tendency to give up on blocks once ball is past him. 

Polish: Plays with consistent base. Promising kick slide in pass protection, especially considering average quickness. More of a “catcher” at this point, leaning into defenders with mass. Must develop punch. 

Bottom Line: Cade’s sheer size pops off the tape, and he’s more fluid than those mammoth shoulders and thighs suggest. Plenty strong, but needs more explosion to maximize playing power. Depending on surrounding personnel, projects as quality, multi-year starter at guard or right tackle.

• Like 1

Roach: Crystal Ballin

Spoiler

The 247Sports Crystal Ball is a fun tool to get a feel for where certain prospects are trending. With input available from the pool of experts at 247Sports, the Crystal Ball has become a great tool for tracking the movement of your favorite prospect.

From time to time, crystal balls need to be checked for accuracy. I went through each Texas target that currently holds a Texas pick and evaluated my confidence on a scale of 'Love it, Like it or Leave it.'

The 2021 Texas class is looking to add its next member, and the answer could be somewhere in these picks. The class ranks No. 11 in the country and No. 1 in the Big 12 with a group that includes five-star Denton Ryan athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders, four-star Denton Ryan athlete Billy Bowman, four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe, four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner, four-star Port Arthur Memorial DE Jordon Thomas, four-star Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson, four-star New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr., three-star Arlington Martin linebacker Morice Blackwell, four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem, three-star Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, Pro Kick Australia punter Isaac Pearson, four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey, three-star New Orleans (LA.) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain and three-star Everman athlete Juan Davis as current commits in the Longhorns' 2021 recruiting class.

So, let's take a look at the picks currently in for eleven Texas targets and where my confidence lies in each of them.

2021 WR Ketron Jackson (Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)
Four-star WR Ketron Jackson

Prediction: Arkansas

Feeling: Like it

The picture is still murky for the Royce City wide receiver, but Arkansas has been a constant and no one is working harder in his recruitment than Razorback’s wide receiver coach Justin Stepp. Texas is trying, but it feels like they will need to get him on campus for a visit. TCU remains a tough hurdle for Arkansas with Malcolm Kelly's strong track record as a recruiter.

Three-star safety Devin Lemear

Prediction: Baylor

I felt Texas would be an easy pick if they pushed, but Baylor is treating Lemear like a priority while Texas has a few different candidates for their dwindling spots in the secondary. Texas Tech is another school that Lemear is high on, and they could make it interesting down the stretch, but Baylor is my pick as of now.  If Texas were to miss on Mukuba, they could re-engage for Lemear.

(Photo: Courtesy of Albert Regis)

Three-star DT Albert Regis

Prediction: Texas

I’m barely hanging on to this one, but it feels like a bit more of a toss up than originally thought. Texas is right at the top, and the Longhorns are doing a good job with Regis. Texas A&M recently re-engaged for him and he’s listening. Texas is game, but the race could be tougher than originally anticipated down the stretch.

Five-star OT Tommy Brockermeyer

Prediction: Alabama

Feeling: Love it

When I changed my pick last month in favor of Alabama, it was clear that the Crimson Tide made a decisive move to grab control of the recruitment.  Though, I expected Tommy to be committed by now, I still feel that Nick Saban and company are in the lead.  I don't expect the brothers to last throughout the summer and can't see a way where Texas prevails as of now.

James Brockermeyer (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Four-star OL James Brockermeyer

Like his brother Tommy, James seems locked into what Alabama has to offer. This might sound like an exact replica of what I wrote above for Tommy Brockermeyer, and there is a good reason for that. As with Tommy, I still expect Bama to be the pick right now and I don't expect this recruitment to last through the summer.

Four-star RB LJ Johnson

Prediction: Texas A&M

I’ve heard that Johnson wants to make it clear he’s fairly open, but word behind the scenes focused on Texas A&M and the buzz they’ve been able to build. Texas is in the top group and could possibly flip the script if they could host him for a visit, but I’m confident in the Aggies and where they stand with Johnson right this moment.

(Photo: 247Sports)

Three-star WR Jaden Alexis

I’m not sure I expected this to stretch out this long, but I have no reason to doubt my pick for the Longhorns. It appears that Alexis is simply in no rush to make his call, but even sources in Florida are hearing nothing but Texas buzz right now.  Alexis isn't much for social media and hasn't said anything about his timeline, but there is a feeling it could come out of nowhere.

Four-star DL Marcus Burris

Prediction: Oklahoma

I still like where my pick sits for Burris. He’s another prospect I thought would have been committed by now, but I haven’t heard any buzz other than Oklahoma recently. Perhaps a delay could allow other schools to make their way in, but it seems likely Burris would want to lock a spot down after suffering a season-ending injury.

Andrew Mukuba
Andrew Mukuba (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Four-star safety Andrew Mukuba

Clemson concerns me a bit, but as I reported earlier this week, Texas is growing a stronger lead with the possibility of no visits in the fall. Mukuba is slightly unpredictable, but our intel says that Chris Ash and Texas are leading the way.

Four-star OT Savion Byrd

Prediction: SMU

Feeling: Leave it

I still feel like SMU can easily win this race, but our original intel said Byrd should have shut things down by now. Recently I was told that Byrd will likely carry his recruitment out to the end of the cycle, and that is going to give other schools an opportunity to move on him.

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach: Crystal Ballin

Hide contents

The 247Sports Crystal Ball is a fun tool to get a feel for where certain prospects are trending. With input available from the pool of experts at 247Sports, the Crystal Ball has become a great tool for tracking the movement of your favorite prospect.

From time to time, crystal balls need to be checked for accuracy. I went through each Texas target that currently holds a Texas pick and evaluated my confidence on a scale of 'Love it, Like it or Leave it.'

The 2021 Texas class is looking to add its next member, and the answer could be somewhere in these picks. The class ranks No. 11 in the country and No. 1 in the Big 12 with a group that includes five-star Denton Ryan athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders, four-star Denton Ryan athlete Billy Bowman, four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe, four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner, four-star Port Arthur Memorial DE Jordon Thomas, four-star Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson, four-star New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr., three-star Arlington Martin linebacker Morice Blackwell, four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem, three-star Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, Pro Kick Australia punter Isaac Pearson, four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey, three-star New Orleans (LA.) Warren Easton wide receiver Casey Cain and three-star Everman athlete Juan Davis as current commits in the Longhorns' 2021 recruiting class.

So, let's take a look at the picks currently in for eleven Texas targets and where my confidence lies in each of them.

2021 WR Ketron Jackson (Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)
Four-star WR Ketron Jackson

Prediction: Arkansas

The picture is still murky for the Royce City wide receiver, but Arkansas has been a constant and no one is working harder in his recruitment than Razorback’s wide receiver coach Justin Stepp. Texas is trying, but it feels like they will need to get him on campus for a visit. TCU remains a tough hurdle for Arkansas with Malcolm Kelly's strong track record as a recruiter.

Three-star safety Devin Lemear

Prediction: Baylor

I felt Texas would be an easy pick if they pushed, but Baylor is treating Lemear like a priority while Texas has a few different candidates for their dwindling spots in the secondary. Texas Tech is another school that Lemear is high on, and they could make it interesting down the stretch, but Baylor is my pick as of now.  If Texas were to miss on Mukuba, they could re-engage for Lemear.

(Photo: Courtesy of Albert Regis)

Three-star DT Albert Regis

I’m barely hanging on to this one, but it feels like a bit more of a toss up than originally thought. Texas is right at the top, and the Longhorns are doing a good job with Regis. Texas A&M recently re-engaged for him and he’s listening. Texas is game, but the race could be tougher than originally anticipated down the stretch.

Five-star OT Tommy Brockermeyer

When I changed my pick last month in favor of Alabama, it was clear that the Crimson Tide made a decisive move to grab control of the recruitment.  Though, I expected Tommy to be committed by now, I still feel that Nick Saban and company are in the lead.  I don't expect the brothers to last throughout the summer and can't see a way where Texas prevails as of now.

James Brockermeyer (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Four-star OL James Brockermeyer

Like his brother Tommy, James seems locked into what Alabama has to offer. This might sound like an exact replica of what I wrote above for Tommy Brockermeyer, and there is a good reason for that. As with Tommy, I still expect Bama to be the pick right now and I don't expect this recruitment to last through the summer.

Four-star RB LJ Johnson

Prediction: Texas A&M

I’ve heard that Johnson wants to make it clear he’s fairly open, but word behind the scenes focused on Texas A&M and the buzz they’ve been able to build. Texas is in the top group and could possibly flip the script if they could host him for a visit, but I’m confident in the Aggies and where they stand with Johnson right this moment.

(Photo: 247Sports)

Three-star WR Jaden Alexis

I’m not sure I expected this to stretch out this long, but I have no reason to doubt my pick for the Longhorns. It appears that Alexis is simply in no rush to make his call, but even sources in Florida are hearing nothing but Texas buzz right now.  Alexis isn't much for social media and hasn't said anything about his timeline, but there is a feeling it could come out of nowhere.

Four-star DL Marcus Burris

Prediction: Oklahoma

I still like where my pick sits for Burris. He’s another prospect I thought would have been committed by now, but I haven’t heard any buzz other than Oklahoma recently. Perhaps a delay could allow other schools to make their way in, but it seems likely Burris would want to lock a spot down after suffering a season-ending injury.

Andrew Mukuba
Andrew Mukuba (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Four-star safety Andrew Mukuba

Clemson concerns me a bit, but as I reported earlier this week, Texas is growing a stronger lead with the possibility of no visits in the fall. Mukuba is slightly unpredictable, but our intel says that Chris Ash and Texas are leading the way.

Four-star OT Savion Byrd

Prediction: SMU

Feeling: Leave it

I still feel like SMU can easily win this race, but our original intel said Byrd should have shut things down by now. Recently I was told that Byrd will likely carry his recruitment out to the end of the cycle, and that is going to give other schools an opportunity to move on him.

That's about as close to "the Brocks are silents to Bama" as a 9.95er can say. Carl strikes again.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's about as close to "the Brocks are silents to Bama" as a 9.95er can say. Carl strikes again.

Personally, I can't tell you how frustrating this one is. Blake is a second generation Longhorn Letterman. His wife went to UT. His oldest does. It's just so disheartening. 

• Like 6

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

He can go fuck himself. It’s a shittier education by far and we’re about to put a low 3 star OL into the first round of the draft. Clearly he didn’t even try to lobby for his alma mater. I hope when the pearly gates open, Blake’s father is there to punch him in the fucking mouth. 

Ok - now that made me laugh. You have convinced me. F them.. and Walker Little.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Personally, I can't tell you how frustrating this one is. Blake is a second generation Longhorn Letterman. His wife went to UT. His oldest does. It's just so disheartening. 

If they go to Bama, I hope Saban retires soon.  Just after pulling the trap door on James.  Or Tommy, if it ends up bizzaro like the Foreman brothers. That as close as I am willing to go to “fuck Blake Brockermeyer” until NLIs are signed.

Oh yeah, I would drop the LB Brock like a hot potato.

• Like 1