Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

I think I would feel almost a little better if herman showed any emotion at all. He’s a stoic brick on the sideline. Players mess up he doesn’t get in anyone’s ass.  Refs literally fuck you on every play he just sits there does lobby for his guys. At least what we see or the camera pans to see he is just physically there. But deep down he is prob in freak out mode because he’s being out coached all the time.  I just want to see him pissed off for once. Like he cares. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I think I would feel almost a little better if herman showed any emotion at all. He’s a stoic brick on the sideline. Players mess up he doesn’t get in anyone’s ass.  Refs literally fuck you on every play he just sits there does lobby for his guys. At least what we see or the camera pans to see he is just physically there. But deep down he is prob in freak out mode because he’s being out coached all the time.  I just want to see him pissed off for once. Like he cares. 

That was one thing I noticed about Riley watching the OU game last night - when the refs fucked them over, he was livid on the sideline tearing into the refs. Maybe the TV cameras just haven't caught him doing it, but when was the last time we've seen Herman stand up for his players like that?

28 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

That was one thing I noticed about Riley watching the OU game last night - when the refs fucked them over, he was livid on the sideline tearing into the refs. Maybe the TV cameras just haven't caught him doing it, but when was the last time we've seen Herman stand up for his players like that?

"Coach your guys, I'll coach mine!"

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

SaneNeglectedBlacklemur-size_restricted.

Emotion is not the problem...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Careful, boners. We have a mole.

Who gives a shit? Because the Football board alone is fodder enough for a lifetime of moles, and that shit isn't ever getting less embarrassing. 

The irony is, you don't HAVE to cheat much. Our problems aren't talent it is 100% coaching and development. The only folks suffering the effects of cheating at Texas are the fans who have to watch Herman steal our money. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Who gives a shit? Because the Football board alone is fodder enough for a lifetime of moles, and that shit isn't ever getting less embarrassing. 

The irony is, you don't HAVE to cheat much. Our problems aren't talent it is 100% coaching and development. The only folks suffering the effects of cheating at Texas are the fans who have to watch Herman steal our money. 

Maybe don't publish that missive about murdering Herman on the doorstep of the yellow rose. Maybe don't recount the graphic dreams in which you sever Herman's head with a Bowie knife. In the spirit of hate week, keep those things inside and allow them to fester instead of diluting them on the interwebs. 

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Maybe don't publish that missive about murdering Herman on the doorstep of the yellow rose. Maybe don't recount the graphic dreams in which you sever Herman's head with a Bowie knife. In the spirit of hate week, keep those things inside and allow them to fester instead of diluting them on the interwebs. 

75317073.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm with you here. I don't think Texas replaces Herman this year even if he goes 4-6. Now, I hope I am wrong, for sure. 

5-5 gets him fired, imo

Does 7-3 while missing the conference title game? Probably not, but maybe. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm with you here. I don't think Texas replaces Herman this year even if he goes 4-6. Now, I hope I am wrong, for sure. 

Don't do this to yourself. 

I don't throw the word "hate" around much. It's an abused word, like "love" and "genius" and from a generally religious/karmic perspective, I've tried not to throw much hate into the ether over the years. I've been told previously that I hate Tom Herman and denied it, because it wasn't true.

Now? I'm comfortable with the label. As a fan, I hate this motherfucker. He's a joysquashing piece of shit intent on teabagging the Texas program repeatedly until all we see as fans is his hairy beanbag across our collective nose while all we can smell is hot, sweaty cheese assaulting every part of our olfactory system.

He is a fucking jellyfish if there ever was one. It's like he strives to keep games close while methodically sticking to the same stupid playcalling and pathetic personnel choices. We have a burgeoning NFL TE in Wiley making plays out there, yet we keep witnessing Brewer take the majority of the snaps in order to publicly illustrate the definition of "irrelevant" on a football field. The team is perpetually undisciplined. The HC himself is a smug rube without a clue, so far in over his head at this point that it's likely he doesn't even know which way is up. 

I enjoy the members and dialogue of the recruiting board, so I'll keep reading and posting, but I'm squarely in support of the premise at this point that talent is irrelevant when coaching is incompetent. This motherfucker is incompetent. Our best hope for change within the next few months is some sort of personal scandal. 

Yep. Regardless of talent, Herman will never get us to where we want to go. The only relevance this thread has anymore is to hope the next new coach isn’t on the level of Herman (or worse, Strong) and has some solid talent to work with, but since Herman’s almost guaranteed to coach through the 2021 season and our 2021 class is already subpar, it’ll be just another cycle of attrition leaving the new coach with roster holes everywhere. The only difference is the current cycle will have lasted 5 years instead of 3. 

We’ll hire a new coach, get a 2023 recruiting class in the top 5 thanks to the new coach bump, and then say “just wait until 2025 when his guys are upperclassmen!” for the next 3 years. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Confidence ratings on remaining 2021 targets

Texas is off to a 2-1 start in the 2020 season as they try to finish the 2021 class. Texas is hard at work trying to finish off the class while also trying to compete on the field. Results can usually be tied directly to recruiting, but things have been a bit different this season. As the Longhorns approach a pivotal matchup against Oklahoma in Dallas this week, the staff should also be focused on finishing this class with some playmakers. The Longhorns have big needs at positions like wide receiver, offensive line, defensive line and linebacker.

Over the weekend, we spoke with several recruits and sources to get an update on where the Longhorns stand with each of their remaining targets. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we run down the entire board and examine the chances for each one.

LJ Johnson, RB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair

Johnson is one of the most important targets left on the board for the Longhorns. Johnson plays things close to the vest and stays pretty quiet overall, but sources near the four-star runner are still bullish on the chances of him landing in Austin. Texas A&M is still the primary competition for Jonson, and the Aggies are all in to land him. Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris will keep pushing to land him as Texas searches for more playmakers on the offensive side of the ball.

Confidence level: High

Dont'e Thornton, WR, Baltimore (MD) Mount Saint Joseph

Thornton is listening to Texas though Oregon seems like the clear front runner. The Longhorns definitely have some time to work on the four-star pass-catcher throughout the year and there’s a bit of confidence in Austin the staff can chip away. Thornton is still looking to make his decision at the All-American Bowl in January, and the staff will have all of that time to try and flip the script.

Confidence: Medium

JJ Henry, WR, McKinney North

Henry is hanging around hoping the dead period will lift on January 1. He’d like to make some visits before making his decision, but those are still very much in the air. From talking to Henry and those near him, Texas seems like the front runner. Though Henry maintains that he’s wide open, Texas Is pushing to close him down during the fall. Texas A&M is another school in the mix for Henry, but everyone we speak with thinks Texas will be the destination if the Longhorns stay on him.

Confidence: High

Savion Byrd, OL, Duncanville

If Texas could land the four-star All-American, it would salvage what has been a lackluster offensive line recruiting effort for Texas. The Longhorns seemed to fall out of favor with Byrd, but the staff is trying to get back in and he’s at least listening. Herb Hand and Jay Valai are both working on Byrd, but Texas is likely behind LSU, SMU and OU. The good news is, Byrd plans to take things slow and wait until January to see if visits will happen before making a decision. Texas has a glimmer of hope, but there is a ton of work to do.

Confidence: Low

Jacoby Jackson, OL, Mansfield Summit

With Texas still working on Byrd and recently getting a commitment from Max Merril, Jackson’s ship may have sailed. Our latest intel says Jackson is closing in on a decision and Baylor seems like the likely destination for him. I’m told the Longhorns remain in some contact, but Jackson might be looking to make a decision quicker than Texas would like while still considering what the numbers will look like.

Bryce Foster, OL, Katy Taylor

Foster remains open in hope of visits as well, but it seems like the chances with Texas are on life support. The Longhorns have just about everyone on the offensive staff involved int his recruitment, but the Longhorns are behind Oklahoma and Texas A&M at the very least. It’s going to take a big swing over the next few months to get Foster and add more front line talent to the current offensive line group.

Tunmise Adeleye, DL, Katy Tompkins

As we reported a few weeks ago, Texas and Adeleye are back in contact. I’d still caution restraint in this case, but where there’s an opening there’s a chance. The Longhorns remain in consideration with Alabama, Texas A&M and Florida. Texas will have to show a lot for the remainder of the season to reel in the four-star defensive lineman, but they have his ear for the moment.

Shemar Turner, DL, DeSoto

Outside of LJ Johnson, the biggest race on the board is for Turner. Texas is currently locked in a dead heat with A&M while Alabama looms large. LSU and Georgia are also still in the game, but the latest we’ve heard says that it’s likely to come down to a head-to-head race between the Aggies and Longhorns with the Crimson Tide as the darkhorse. The fall recruiting pitches will weigh the heaviest as both teams have the chance to show what they’ve got on the field. As of now, I think Texas is still very much in the hunt.

Ikechukwu Iwunnah, DT, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Iwunnah hasn’t said much and hasn’t really appeared to be in a rush since picking up his offers in the summer. Sources near him haven’t said much either, but Texas would be the team to beat if the Longhorns push for the massive defensive lineman. If Texas misses on targets like Turner and Regis, Iwunnah could be in play. It will all depend on how the numbers play out.

Albert Regis, DL, La Porte

Regis is one of the true defensive tackle prospects Texas is looking to take in 2021, and Mark Hagen has been on him hard. Regis is a notoriously quiet prospect who doesn’t speak often about the particulars of his recruitment, but Texas is near the front of this recruitment. As far as we can tell, Texas A&M is the main competition, but Texas isn’t taking a backseat to anyone right now.

Jaydon Williams, LB, South Oak Cliff

Texas remains in contact with the south Dallas defender, but sources at SOC tell us he’s locked into his Arizona State commitment. Linebackers coach and Co-DC Antonio Pierce did a phenomenal job recruiting Williams throughout the year and he appears to be a recruiter to be reckoned with moving forward. Barring some last minute changes, I don’t see Texas flipping him away from the Sun Devils.

Terrence Cooks, LB, Shadow Creek

Cooks has been thought to be leaning toward Texas for a while, but LSU and Baylor have entered the picture lately. In checking with sources, Texas still looks good for the versatile linebacker, but they will face a tougher fight than originally anticipated. Still, I feel Texas can close the deal as Cooks keeps pushing his commitment back and Texas keeps showing the need for quality play at the linebacker position.

• Hook 'Em 3

Scoop

By: IT staff

Despite the loss to TCU, an unranked Oklahoma is still up next. Latest from the team including injury news, notes on 2021 defensive linemen, and quotes from Charles Wright and Devon Campbell. It's Hate Week, y'all.

In 2015, Texas played TCU the week before the Red River Shootout. It was a blowout on par with the worst of the Mack Brown era Red River Shootouts. 50-7 was the final score but it wasn’t even that close. I asked a friend of mine after that game if he’d have any interest in any UT openings at season’s end. “Those guys didn’t show much life.” I asked that same question just a week later and got a much different response.

Between that TCU game and the RRS I drove up to Austin to meet with some program sources. @Toadvine was with me because steak on his dime tastes a little better than on mine. What we heard about the mindset of the players and the overall quality of practices was not good. The sources thought UT was going to get killed.

As we know, UT showed up and beat OU more authoritatively than the 24-17 final score indicates. Sports are weird and a lot of the reason is sports are psychological. The players woke up that morning and decided they were going to win and they played well from the opening kick.

The loss to TCU this past Saturday wasn’t nearly as bad, though it may be just as frustrating given it’s year four of Tom Herman’s tenure and they should have won. They would have won if Herman would have learned from last year.

Herman has a done a lot of good with the program, but in some ways the program is right where it was in 2015. The psychology and mental strength of the team is again a big concern. The coaches know they have to fortify that aspect of the program first. Sunday‘s practice gave good indication the TCU loss is in the rear view and the team is focused on OU. There is a bit of a rallying cry.

That’s good, because in the distance are the all-to-familiar murmurs of a donor war chant as well. This is a big game for Tom Herman. I think Gerry said they’re all big from here on out. That’s true, but especially so when it’s OU, and on a downturn sitting at 1-2.

Some notes to pass along.

— We heard the same thing you’ll probably hear in the press conference today — goals for the season are still the same, the margin for error is just different.

— Texas doesn’t have a #1 receiver. Jake Smith would ideally be a #2 at this point in his career. He has #1 upside but he isn’t there yet. Asked about Josh Moore and heard the consistency you need with a #1 isn’t there. The same can be said of Brennan Eagles.

— Josh Moore missed practice on Sunday with a shoulder injury. We’re not sure of severity at this point.

— @Hookah Horns mentioned Jordan Whittington is back at practice. We have yet to confirm that but the return fits the optimistic side of the original timeline. Texas needs him back. We’ll confirm if Herman doesn’t today.

— Marcus Washington has missed time with a hurt ankle but has also been inconsistent. This team needs some receivers to step up. He was back at practice on Sunday.

— Reese Leitao hurt his knee. It was thought to be a sprained MCL last we heard.

— Roschon Johnson practiced and we hear he’ll be good to go for Saturday. The players were chiding Keaontay Ingram about being caught from behind, so that’s a good sign. Incidentally, the running backs are routinely taught to not extend the ball. At some point a bad decision doesn’t stem from poor fundamental teaching. Texas needs Ingram to put the play behind him.

— Kenyatta Watson‘s transfer isn’t the only one we’re keeping an eye on. One wouldn’t be a surprise if it happens, the other would be a minor surprise. Regarding Watson, there’s probably enough blame to go around but the greener pastures of the Portal make it easy to leave. This had the potential of happening for a couple weeks now. Texas will need to address this loss in recruiting ASAP. They should probably take two more defensive backs at this point. The season adds clarity to needs...

DEVON CAMPBELL

We caught up with the four-star 2022 offensive lineman from Arlington Bowie this weekend. When a OL prospect wants to talk Texas, we listen.

At 6-foot-4, 265 pounds, Campbell is already a household name in recruiting circles. He's up to 25 offers, including Alabama, Florida, OU, and Arizona State, but it looks like a three-way battle with the Longhorns, Sooners, and LSU.

For Campbell, he's just happy to be back on the field.

"The first part of football season has been off to a good start," said Campbell. "The first game was last Thursday, and I’m just getting my feet wet. I have so much room for improvement, so stay tuned."

Campbell moves like a car but hits like a truck. The District 4-6A Offensive Sophomore of the Year in 2019 has the build and mentality of a college-ready linemen. His athleticism is underrated, as are is his skills on the basketball court. He just keeps working.

"I’m looking forward to playing everybody that’s on our schedule," Campbell said. "Because of Covid, you never know what will happen, so I’m ready to play anybody at anytime."

Campbell is in no hurry to pick a college, but he sees something special brewing with UT's C/O 2022.

"I’m hearing from a lot of the schools, and they all find a way to keep in contact," said Campbell. "I talk to Texas pretty much on the daily. The Class of 2022 is loaded already with Quinn Ewers and I feel like it'll bring a lot more recruits with him."

Campbell's ceiling might be guard, but he's got the versatility to play outside, if needed. Either way, anything positive coming from an offensive lineman prospect is newsworthy with this staff.

THE WRIGHT STUFF

When it finally came time for Austin High to take the field against Pflugerville Connally, they didn’t disappoint. Texas commit and 2021 QB Charles Wright scored seven total touchdowns, six by air and one by ground.

The Maroons dominated the Cougars early, jumping to a 28-0 lead in the first quarter. Wright helped keep the foot on the gas to where he could sit and watch most of the second half from the sidelines.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1312217841324654592

Afterward, he spoke with Inside Texas about his performance and recruiting.

Came out of the gate strong tonight, did you expect to score seven total touchdowns?
“Our goal was to come out here fast and put some good product out on the field. We have a good Bowie team next week that we’re playing against, so I really wanted to come out here and show that we could throw the ball and run the ball as well. I was really pleased with how we played tonight.”

What are your goals for Austin High this season?
“We want to win a playoff game. It hasn’t happened in a good amount of years for Austin High. That’s our goal, but at the end of the day we’ve got to take it one week at a time. We won this week. We’re 1-0. We’ve got to go 1-0 next week.”

What do you personally want to improve in your game?
“Just extending plays with my legs. Last year, I tried to throw the ball downfield a little too much. This year, I’m trying to use my legs a little bit more and I think it showed a little bit tonight.”

What was it like getting that call from the Texas staff?
“It was awesome. It was surreal. I’m blessed to be in this position and now I’ve got to keep chasing that goal of playing for the University of Texas, getting on the field, or leading that team.”

How has bonding with other members of the 2021 class been?
“We’ve talked to all of them. It’s a close bond. We’re all Longhorns, and we’re close. We’re ready to get there, some of us in January and some of us in the summer.”

You’re enrolling in January?
“Yes sir.”

Who are some of the uncommitted guys you are talking to?
“A few. Cornerback from Mater Dei, Domani Jackson. Talking to him. A few guys here and there. The wide receiver from Maryland (Dont’e Thornton). We tried pretty hard on Andrew (Mukuba). He went to Clemson, obviously. He’s my guy so I’m happy for him.”

What are your thoughts on Tom Herman and the program?
“It’s a great culture. I love what Coach Herman is doing there. Same with Coach Yurcich. (Bryan Carrington) is doing a great job over there as well. I’m hyped to get there. It’s a great program, and I’m excited to get started.”

On Jaylon Guilbeau (2022 commit from P.A. Memorial) from Friday night... he had an INT in the second half. Plays boundary CB so isn't going to have much action in the passing game.

What I liked:
-Ultra confident player at a position a short memory is required
-Plays run well in terms of understanding assignment and fights to get off blocks... does a very good job there.
-Has the feet and hips to flip and chase/run in coverage
-Physically... looks terrific. Strong body type while still having that athletic defensive back look on the hoof.

What I liked that the Port Arthur Memorial HC and DC told me:
The plan is for him to run on the 4x100 & 4x200 relays this spring in track. He was an 800 kid his freshman year, then 400 (was low 49 and dropping before track season got cancelled), but they believe running sprints will benefit him greatly in terms of getting faster as he continues to add strength to his frame. They think he's a 4.6 kid right now.

On Jordon Thomas (2021 commit from Port Arthur Memorial) from watching him against Barbers Hill... 6-foot-3, 256-258 pounds right now...

What I like:
-Active
-Physicality
-Quick feet
-Can redirect
-Shows some natural strength on contact

What I don't necessarily like:
Body type. Will carry 285-290-pounds in time as a 3-tech, but will be upper body heavy.

Bottom line:
Can be a productive 3-tech because he has the physicality and quickness. Is not close to finished product physically or technically.

Nathan O’Neal (@FeetHipsHands) is one of most renowned defensive line/edge instructors in the country working with the likes of Jadeveon Clowney, Nick and Joey Bosa, Jeffery Simmons, Josh Sweat, and many more including former Texas standout Charles Omenihu.

Who better to go to for some quick breakdowns on Texas defensive line commits, and a top target at defensive end in the 2021 class.

Ja'Tavion Sanders - Denton Ryan - 2021 commit
“Obviously very athletic kid with the high quality reps at WR. I like how he shoots his hands in his get off to get them immediately into the OL. Doesn’t look like he completely understands how to use them in pass rush. Gets wide in turning the corner, which against good OL will allow them to recover. Certainly can be developed as he is athletic enough to develop it. Looks like he has good football instincts, but gives up on plays so could have questionable motor.”

[important to note on Sanders is he plays both ways, so being tired is understandable]

Jordon Thomas - Port Arthur Memorial - 2021 commit
“I like this kid. Seems to have some goon in him. I do think he is in the Malcolm Roach mold. A kid that’s going to be a DT. Seems more concerned with bullying OL instead of edge rushing them. Has no idea how to turn the corner. Creates way to much space in his turn. Inconsistent with getting hands on OL first. Drops head just before contact. But powerful and explosive. Because he is only reverting to power and struggles in turn I think he will eventually be moved to 3tech but will be successful there.”

David Abiara - Mansfield Legacy - 2021 Notre Dame commit
“Now this is the one. He could be really special. Turns the corner in his rushes and turns it tight while protecting inside number. Top of the rush is fastest part of his rush. Stance and get off need work. I really like this kid. Long as well.”

We've heard about Epps, and he fits the unsurprising portal candidate. There are some rumors the other is a running back, but unsubstantiated. 

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Hell, Epps hasn't looked bad when we needed plays the past two weeks..first, securing the onsides kick and last saturday's TD catch over the middle. He has good hands.  He and Wiley should be the X factors because of their size alone against ou

Epps is fine in very limited situations in the red zone, but he can’t block for shit, so he doesn’t add much as a TE. A receiving TE that’s slow as fuck and can’t separate isn’t very valuable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Scoop

We've heard about Epps, and he fits the unsurprising portal candidate. There are some rumors the other is a running back, but unsubstantiated. 

RB rumors make no sense. To me, that would be bigger than what they called "a minor surprise." Ingram is a starter, Johnson seems to love the program and his team and gets plenty of touches as well, and Robinson (as well as the other three) would be bigger news than a "minor surprise" IMO.

I guess I could MAYBE understand Ingram considering it, but still, they would have used a term more serious than a "minor surprise"

Edited by Mason Ramsey

6 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

RB rumors make no sense. To me, that would be bigger than what they called "a minor surprise." Ingram is a starter, Johnson seems to love the program and his team and gets plenty of touches as well, and Robinson (as well as the other three) would be bigger news than a "minor surprise" IMO.

Danny

6 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I could see the "minor surprise" being Vaughns.  Hard to believe he can't get in over Leiteo or Bush.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Danny

I didn't even mention him because I completely forgot he existed on this planet. But in all seriousness, still not a minor surprise; there were already a lot of rumors of him opting out and trying to transfer elsewhere over the summer. But 9.95ers do like to spread bullshit for clicks so it wouldn't surprise me.

TFB- Super K 

Spoiler

There was a time when the Red River game determined a possible national championship spot (or didn’t that one time). The stakes for this game are always high but some years more than others.

The stakes this year are very high. Not necessarily for each individual program or fan base. But for coaches, I think the outcome of this game could ultimately decide the fate of coaches on each staff.

Should the Sooners lose and begin the Big 12 going 0-3, I think there are some position coaches on the OU sideline that won’t be there next year. It’ll probably force Lincoln Riley to face a reality he has needed to face for quite some time – he can’t do it by himself. He has some really strong coaches on his staff but some very glaring weaknesses as well.

Should Texas lose…well, Tom Herman cannot lose this game. He outguns OU this year in almost, if not every facet of the game. He has the veteran QB, the superior stable of backs, the superior secondary, the superior WR core, the superior defensive line, etc.

Tom Herman cannot lose this game.

I’m not here to make any definitive claims about what would transpire if he did lose it but that seat is going to become uncomfortably hot and the locker room is going to be difficult to manage.

This game could decide the fate of some coaches on both sidelines.

18 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I didn't even mention him because I completely forgot he existed on this planet. But in all seriousness, still not a minor surprise; there were already a lot of rumors of him opting out and trying to transfer elsewhere over the summer. But 9.95ers do like to spread bullshit for clicks so it wouldn't surprise me.

Could also be Gabe Watson? Haven't heard anything from him.