Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

33 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

Hey folks, July 4 is coming and what a great day to show those Yankees what a real shootout is all about.  I have five or six guns I can bring, so let's see if we can drop a thousand or so bodies on the ground at some fireworks display and find out if any of the politicians actually give a damn.  Might as well try, nothing else has made a difference so far.

It wasn't a thousand or so bodies on the ground, but the Las Vegas shooter killed 60 and wounded 413.  Roughly that number of people were injured in the mayhem that followed.

That event didn't change minds.  Uvalde didn't.  Columbine didn't.  VaTech didn't.  Sandy Hook didn't.  Sutherland Springs didn't.  Parkland didn't.  Orlando didn't.  El Paso Walmart didn't.  Luby's didn't.

See the pattern?

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It wasn't a thousand or so bodies on the ground, but the Las Vegas shooter killed 60 and wounded 413.  Roughly that number of people were injured in the mayhem that followed.

That event didn't change minds.  Uvalde didn't.  Columbine didn't.  VaTech didn't.  Sandy Hook didn't.  Sutherland Springs didn't.  Parkland didn't.  Orlando didn't.  El Paso Walmart didn't.  Luby's didn't.

See the pattern?

Yes, I do.  That is why I wrote "nothing else has made a difference so far".

16 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

Yes, I do.  That is why I wrote "nothing else has made a difference so far".

Steve Scalise got shot, the outrage was immense, and then they did . . . nothing.  It's all performance art, just like "thoughts and prayers".  They will never do anything.  Some wacko could kill 100 Trump supporters and ultimately the right wing would do nothing.

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

Hey folks, July 4 is coming and what a great day to show those Yankees what a real shootout is all about.  I have five or six guns I can bring, so let's see if we can drop a thousand or so bodies on the ground at some fireworks display and find out if any of the politicians actually give a damn.  Might as well try, nothing else has made a difference so far.

Just don’t kneel when they play the national anthem and the Republicans will be fine with it. 

See the pattern?

Luby’s changed minds. They used it to open up concealed handgun laws (which was not a bad concept). If you’re among us carrying weapons, then you need to prove you can safely handle your weapon and follow the laws of the state.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Luby’s changed minds. They used it to open up concealed handgun laws (which was not a bad concept). If you’re among us carrying weapons, then you need to prove you can safely handle your weapon and follow the laws of the state.

Folks who conceal carry, after going through the training and licensing required at the time, don’t concern me. Of course, those requirements are part of the past. Reinstating the training, and expanding it to include all hyper-dangerous weapons, those capable of more than three rounds without reloading, makes too much sense.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Maybe.

Ive proposed some things that would absolutely help and that we should absolutely do.

I’m sure they’ll never been done though.

Oh, look more of the same from you. "Look, I'm a reasonable gun nut that supports common sense gun reforms, but I'm going to take absolutely zero actions beyond posting on a message board to advance said initiatives." 

• Like 1

Oh, look more of the same from you. "Look, I'm a reasonable gun nut that supports common sense gun reforms, but I'm going to take absolutely zero actions beyond posting on a message board to advance said initiatives." 

You prefer gun nuts that do not support some common sense gun stuff, which runs counter to what you say you want. At least I am honest.

If you don’t like what I have to say then just put me on ignore.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

You prefer gun nuts that do not support some common sense gun stuff, which runs counter to what you say you want. At least I am honest.

If you don’t like what I have to say then just put me on ignore.

It's disingenuous to say you support something and do nothing to help make those things happen. Actions > words. Your actions support the proliferation of guns on our streets. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

It's disingenuous to say you support something and do nothing to help make those things happen. Actions > words. Your actions support the proliferation of guns on our streets. 

“Do nothing”.  

Waaah. I want you to vote like I do, or you’re doing nothing!!1!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

“Do nothing”.  

Waaah. I want you to vote like I do, or you’re doing nothing!!1!

Dumb post, even for your standards. Don't be a member of the NRA. Don't support trade groups that don't support gun reform. Rally other gun dealers to get them to see that gun reforms can actually be good for business and not put the long-term prospects of the industry at risk. Push the candidates that you do support to support reforms. When they don't, find a candidate that does and support them. None of that requires pulling the lever for an icky democrat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, gun rights or abortion or whatever it is.  We're stuck in a binary party system so single-issue voting is tougher than it is in parliamentary systems.  My ballot is spread across multiple parties for multiple reasons, but there is a massive plurality that walks in and pulls a lever, despite not agreeing with a huge chunk of the platform, just because of 1 or 2 key issues.  Which, ironically aren't really ever addressed by those candidates.  That's the real flaw in our system.  But here we are.  

But to be fair, the anti-gun sales folks stuff is bullshit.  They're doing what can, for the most part, on the level.  Dealers are most often on the up and up.  The real criminals are the investment bankers and private equity partners who've spun it up so that lots and lots and lots of firearms get produced and that stupid Americans are led to believe that the best way to exhibit their patriotism is to go out and buy more and more firepower (mostly on credit from banks we own), and some of those trickle down into the wrong hands.  Gun dealers think these family owned Gunsmiths benevolently make some handcrafted long rifles so that nice Americans can buy just one to protect their home or hunt deer in the Alaskan wild.  When in fact, we fund them to mass produce bizarre amounts of firepower so that stupid people will buy 7 of them with money they don't have so they can fend off this tyrannical government that's supposedly been coming for us for centuries.  But like a KISS farewell tour, it seems like next year is the year.  It'd fucking comical if it wasn't costing so many children's lives.  

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Dumb post, even for your standards. Don't be a member of the NRA. Don't support trade groups that don't support gun reform. Rally other gun dealers to get them to see that gun reforms can actually be good for business and not put the long-term prospects of the industry at risk. Push the candidates that you do support to support reforms. When they don't, find a candidate that does and support them. None of that requires pulling the lever for an icky democrat.

As long as there are people who believe that anything that can fire 3 bullets without reloading is “hyper-dangerous”, the NRA is necessary.  Necessary evil?  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

As long as there are people who believe that anything that can fire 3 bullets without reloading is “hyper-dangerous”, the NRA is necessary.  Necessary evil?  

The NRA that is a Russian asset? Definitely a patriotic move to support those guys. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Tell that to every person gunned down in a mass shooting, you psycho who thinks requiring training to buy those firearms is an infringement on his rights.

Positive that came out of Uvalde: cops can no longer hide information from family of deceased suspects. Police would use existing laws to hide the cops' potential crimes. Family of a dead Mesquite suspect fought to get the laws changed for a decade and now police cannot withhold info.

Chronicle pay story

Temporary free version

But when his mother and father asked police for more details, Mesquite refused. Texas law said records of incidents that don’t result in a conviction could be kept confidential. Because Graham died before his case could be heard, the department said it didn’t have to share the records, not even with his grieving parents.

Police unions most likely kept this out of several sessions but finally there was too much pressure from citizens that overcame the unions.

23 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

What percentage of those who would like to limit capacity draw the line at 3 bullets?  

This one was mentioned earlier in the thread.  Some more details.

A Seattle couple have been identified as the people killed in a shooting last weekend at the Gorge Amphitheatre.

Brandy Escamilla, 29, and Josilyn Ruiz, 26, died from gunshot wounds suffered Saturday during the popular Beyond Wonderland electronic dance music festival at the Central Washington venue, said Grant County coroner Craig Morrison. Their deaths were ruled homicides.

The pair were engaged to be married, according to a GoFundMe page Ruiz’s family organized to raise money for funeral costs, bring Ruiz’s belongings back to them in California and help with other unexpected costs.

Ruiz was shot in the torso and Escamilla was shot in the head, Boyle said.

“What we believe is there was a domestic violence situation going on between the shooter and someone else and that Josilyn stepped in to help the victim,” Boyle said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/seattle-couple-identified-as-2-killed-in-gorge-amphitheatre-shooting/

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Who knows. I was just an example from the thread.  Maybe it’s not a bad idea. We can bring drillings back in style.  

So you basically misrepresented the overwhelming majority of opinions on where that line should be drawn and now just shrug your shoulders?  OK, par for the course.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

So you basically misrepresented the overwhelming majority of opinions on where that line should be drawn and now just shrug your shoulders?  OK, par for the course.

No, I said as long as there are people like that (even on this thread) then there needs to be an equal force pushing back.  For every Feinstein and SJL gun bill, I’d prefer and donate towards 1000 lawyers fighting them at even the slightest move.  

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, I said as long as there are people like that (even on this thread) then there needs to be an equal force pushing back.  For every Feinstein and SJL gun bill, I’d prefer and donate towards 1000 lawyers fighting them at even the slightest move.  

Do you see a lot of support for those bills on the left?

• 2 weeks later...
"Prompts the question, what is the purpose and role of school police officers going forward after this ruling?"
Ummm, those students aren't going to molest themselves! (see Pfulgerville ISD).
What's going on with Pflugerville ISD?

On 6/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, tchookem said:
On 6/29/2023 at 4:59 PM, Brisketexan said:
"Prompts the question, what is the purpose and role of school police officers going forward after this ruling?"
Ummm, those students aren't going to molest themselves! (see Pfulgerville ISD).

What's going on with Pflugerville ISD?

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/pflugerville/affidavit-pfisd-officer-accused-of-inappropriate-interactions-messaged-students-on-snapchat/?ipid=promo-link-block1

Court records reveal Estavan “Steve” Soliz, 49, is the former Pflugerville ISD police officer being accused of having “inappropriate interactions with students.” According to affidavits, he was an officer for about 26 years, 14 of those spent with the Pflugerville Police Department. 

Soliz was the sole officer stationed at Kelly Lane Middle School, according to the affidavits. He is charged with online solicitation of a minor and tampering with physical evidence, affidavits stated.