Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

27 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

for some reason the call that stands out to me was-- didn't we get called for a pretty bogus roughing the passer on 4th down at some point? That's the one I remember being maddest about because I had this gut feel before the play that no matter what, the refs would make sure OSU converted. 

Or maybe it wasn't fourth down but it was an interception, and as soon as we intercepted I thought "watch, they'll throw a flag of some kind to overturn that" and they fucking did. I don't know if the call was legit bad or not, but I remember it being really weak.

absolutely this.  dealey plaza had nothing on this game.  only click on this is you feel like getting really really mad

Spoiler

edit- I should have heeded my own warning...motherfucker. the phantom hold on Vahe negating a go-ahead TD. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

He could have bought himself a lot of goodwill with the fan base. You better win, or you better fight, but if you don't do either, you'll be done sooner than later.

Naah. That's where you call "#8 Smear the Queer" when you get the ball next, and you have every fucking guy on the team run right over that zebra cocksucker... if he's already down when you get there, put some cleat marks on his face.

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

for some reason the call that stands out to me was-- didn't we get called for a pretty bogus roughing the passer on 4th down at some point? That's the one I remember being maddest about because I had this gut feel before the play that no matter what, the refs would make sure OSU converted. 

Or maybe it wasn't fourth down but it was an interception, and as soon as we intercepted I thought "watch, they'll throw a flag of some kind to overturn that" and they fucking did. I don't know if the call was legit bad or not, but I remember it being really weak.

Boyette. Even had his hands up but couldn't slow down his momentum enough. 

Fuck that fucking game. 

• Like 1

I have a question for the board.

My wife and I (as well as most of our extended family) are lifetime Longhorns.

My son is a Senior at LT in Austin, ranked in the top 5%, so auto admitted into UT. Scored in the 1500's on his SAT. Accepted into Engineering schools at UC Berkeley, UCLA, Georgia Tech, UT Dallas (with a Full Ride Scholarship)

He wants to major in Engineering, but hasn't been accepted into the Cockrell Engineering School...yet

Here's the dilemma. He has just been accepted into aggy Honors Engineering College with almost a full ride scholarship.

Options:

A. Do I accept the fact that I may have an aggy son, since it will save us at least a $100,000 in education costs

B. Do I forbid him from going to aggy, even though he is okay with it? (not that I could really do this)

C. Do we convince him to go to UT anyway if he doesn't get into Cockrell and hope he can transfer in eventually

D. Do I just grab a rope and hang myself from the UT Tower

This kid has had Straight A's from middle school and has taken every AP class possible. Volunteers almost weekly.

1 minute ago, Laughable Losers said:

My son is a Senior at LT in Austin, ranked in the top 5%, so auto admitted into UT. Scored in the 1500's on his SAT. Accepted into Engineering schools at UC Berkeley, UCLA, Georgia Tech, UT Dallas (with a Full Ride Scholarship)

He wants to major in Engineering, but hasn't been accepted into the Cockrell Engineering School...yet

Here's the dilemma. He has just been accepted into aggy Honors Engineering College with almost a full ride scholarship.

Options:

A. Do I accept the fact that I may have an aggy son, since it will save us at least a $100,000 in education costs

B. Do I forbid him from going to aggy, even though he is okay with it? (not that I could really do this)

C. Do we convince him to go to UT anyway if he doesn't get into Cockrell and hope he can transfer in eventually

This kid has had Straight A's from middle school and has taken every AP class possible. Volunteers almost weekly.

The tragedy is that there are going to be plenty of parents who are in a similar quandary as it gets more and more difficult to get into a competitive major at UT.

1 minute ago, Leanderman said:

Does he play tennis (asking for a friend) ?

I thought about that.

We could do some of the following:

Pay a bribe to get him in.

Claim that he is disadvantaged because he is gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Pay a Doctor to say he is ADHD and could have aced his SAT but ran out of time (see, already talking like an aggy)

24 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

Same situation as my little sister but with McCombs school.  She decided to say fuck aggy and went on a full ride to UH in their honors program.  Now has job offers Ernst & Young, PWC, and a few others before she even graduates. 

Honestly, as much as I hate aggy, not sure you can turn down a full ride.  With that said, I’d probably take be UT -Dallas full ride and try to transfer to UT.  Fuck aggy.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

Keep in mind that A&M is actively sabotaging the value of its diploma

2 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

May 1st is deadline for accepting to a University and for Scholarships

Plenty of time. Wait until you have all the information.

If he has to go to A&M just remember there is plenty of room for more 2%ers on campus and when you are in engineering, you are too damn busy to be indoctrinated. I never attended so few UT football games than when I was grinding through the Cockrell School.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Plenty of time. Wait until you have all the information.

If he has to go to A&M just remember there is plenty of room for more 2%ers on campus. And when you are in Engineering you are too damn busy to be indoctrinated.

I know, we will wait until the last minute for Cockrell to let him in.

Maybe Berkeley or UCLA will give him a full ride. UT Dallas is a major option as well.

56 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

Let him do what he wants?

tenor.gif?itemid=7808880

1 hour ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

Was he late with the application? By late I mean not the first day or three that the period opened up for applications? My son got into Cockrell for aerospace for this coming fall with just a 1430 (730 math, 700 verbal) and wasn't straight As, so he was 8% and missed the auto-acceptance to UT. Son knows a few others who had equal or better scores and didn't get in, but they sent their applications in a few weeks after the period opened.

13 minutes ago, The University said:

let the kid decide, without being influenced by the cost of attending. he sounds smart and will make it work.

with the creds that you mentioned, i'm having a hard time figuring out how he can't get a decent financial aid package at texas.

It's not about the money, it's getting into the Cockrell School of Engineering. He wants to go to UT, but more importantly he wants to major in Engineering. He's auto admit into UT now, but if he can't get into Engineering, he'll go elsewhere. We'll let him make the decision and be happy as a parent for his success, but that doesn't mean I won't be at least a little disappointed on the inside.

3 minutes ago, Zharkov said:

Was he late with the application? By late I mean not the first day or three that the period opened up for applications? My son got into Cockrell for aerospace for this coming fall with just a 1430 (730 math, 700 verbal) and wasn't straight As, so he was 8% and missed the auto-acceptance to UT. Son knows a few others who had equal or better scores and didn't get in, but they sent their applications in a few weeks after the period opened.

Interesting. Congratulations on the Aerospace spot, that's THE most competitive major at UT.

He had everything in the first week applications opened. We're still hopeful and we should find out soon I hope...

Let him do what he wants?

tenor.gif?itemid=7808880

I’m all for letting the kid decide but we are talking about aggy. He got into a whole slew of other schools for engineering. And there’s always a chance a kid goes full-blown aggy once you get on campus.

1 hour ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

I can give you the perfect advice, but I need pictures of said wife. 

Good pictures

2 minutes ago, demos said:

Honestly UT Dallas is probably better than aggy (at least I hear better things about UTD than I do aggy)

Either in this thread or another, somebody pulled the rankings of all of the colleges and their rankings within Texas schools. UTD ranked higher than aggy in quite a few. I think aggy engineering was 38 or something, one of their highest. I don’t believe UTD was far behind.

1. Take UTD full ride.

2. Knock out as much math and physics as you can in year 1.

3. Re-apply to Cockrell in a year with (hopefully) first semester of 4.0 in tow.

4. Maxout UTD full ride this summer and next summer.

5. Get in to Cockrell.

6. Take the minimum load the first 2 semesters.

7. Takes 5 years, but you saved $50k.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m all for letting the kid decide but we are talking about aggy. He got into a whole slew of other schools for engineering. And there’s always a chance a kid goes full-blown aggy once you get on campus.

I can't agree more. I have this horrible vision that he comes home after Fish Camp wearing overalls and showing off his jizz jar

4 minutes ago, Laughable Losers said:

I have this horrible vision that he comes home after Fish Camp wearing overalls and showing off his jizz jar

that is the best-case scenario coming home from Fish Camp

if he comes home and starts talking about cutting a hole in the bathroom sheetrock, you better watch out for your cornhole

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Either in this thread or another, somebody pulled the rankings of all of the colleges and their rankings within Texas schools. UTD ranked higher than aggy in quite a few. I think aggy engineering was 38 or something, one of their highest. I don’t believe UTD was far behind.

It's in the Texas recruiting 2019 stream..but it's grad school rankings

Undergrad Engineering Nationally

UC Berkeley - #3

Georgia Tech - #4

UT Austin - #9

aggy - #14

UT Dallas - #80 (mostly for Electrical Engineering because of the Texas Instruments endowment)

The University of Texas at Austin is once again tops in Texas. On March 12, U.S. News & World Report released its annual graduate school rankings — a sort of bible for educational institutions — and UT shines in nearly every department. 

For the 2020 U.S. News Best Graduate Schools Rankings, the magazine examined 2,054 graduate programs across six disciplines: business, education, engineering, law, medicine, and nursing. To determine the overall score, data strategists then sent surveys to more than 22,018 academics and professionals beginning in fall 2018 through early 2019.

Public affairs
The LBJ School of Public Affairs ranked the highest among UT's graduate programs, coming in at No. 10 with an overall score of 3.9 out of 5. The school tied with Princeton University, the University of Chicago, and the University of Minnesota in the 2020 ranking.

Also on the public affairs list is Texas A&M University (No. 33), University of Texas at Dallas (No. 53), University of North Texas (No. 82), University of Texas at Arlington and University of Texas at San Antonio (tied at No. 123), Texas Tech University (No. 139), University of Houston and University of Texas at El Paso (tied at No. 151), and Sam Houston State University (No. 182).

Engineering
UT's famed Cockrell School of Engineering has constructed an exceptional program, coming in at No. 11, and besting Ivy League schools such as Cornell University and Princeton. Texas A&M also fared well with a No. 15 ranking in engineering.

Rice University (No. 27), UT Dallas (No. 64), UT Arlington (No. 82), Texas Tech (No. 93), Southern Methodist University (No. 106), UNT (No. 141), and UTSA (No. 148) were also among the Texas schools on the list.

Education
When it comes to education, UT's flagship university also aced U.S News' graduate program ranking, taking the No. 13 spot. 

Elsewhere in the Lone Star State: Texas A&M (No. 34), Texas Tech and UNT (tied for No. 93), SMU and TCU (tied at No. 105), University of Houston (No. 110), UT Arlington (No. 118), Baylor University and UTSA (tied at No. 134), Texas State University (No. 157), Texas A&M Commerce (No. 163), Sam Houston State (No. 172), and Stephen F. Austin State University (No. 193).

Law
When it comes to law schools, UT was judged 16th in the nation, with an overall 77 out of 100. Just up the road, Baylor earned a respectable No. 48 spot. 

The jury's in for other Texas law schools, too. U.S. News ranked SMU No. 52, UH No. 59, Texas A&M No. 83, and Texas Tech No. 117 as tops in the state.

Business
McCombs, UT's powerhouse business school, also fared well in the cutthroat world of MBA rankings. The school came in 19th, followed by Rice in the 26th spot.

Other competitive MBA programs in Texas include: UT-Dallas (No. 38), Texas A&M (No. 40), SMU (No. 43), Baylor (No. 57), TCU (No. 66), and UH (No. 95).

Nursing
It seems UT's graduate nursing program is quite healthy as well. UT's School of Nursing took the 24th spot. It was followed closely behind by UT Health Science Center in Houston (No. 30) and UT Health Science Center in San Antonio (No. 35). 

Checking up on other Texas graduate nursing schools, Baylor (No. 41), UT Arlington (No. 56), Texas Woman's University (No. 70), Texas Tech and University of Texas Medical Branch — Galveston (tied at No. 87), Texas A&M (No. 99), TSU (No. 129), and University of the Incarnate Word (No. 162).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

1. Take UTD full ride.

2. Knock out as much math and physics as you can in year 1.

3. Re-apply to Cockrell in a year with (hopefully) first semester of 4.0 in tow.

4. Maxout UTD full ride this summer and next summer.

5. Get in to Cockrell.

6. Take the minimum load the first 2 semesters.

7. Takes 5 years, but you saved $50k.

Good idea...

33 minutes ago, demos said:

Honestly UT Dallas is probably better than aggy (at least I hear better things about UTD than I do aggy)

I can't remember which thread, but one aggy admited this on texags. He said that in 5-10 years UTD will surpass aggy at the current rate. I was shocked. 

2 hours ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

A. Fuck that noise. 

B. Never as a father. You supply him with all the information one needs (not much) to dissuade him but tell him it's ultimately his choice and you love him either way. 

C. Yes! Assuming he's not graduating with a shitload of dual credits and all pre requisites, get him to accept the admission and enroll at the college of undergraduate studies. It's fairly easy to transfer within the university as long as he sticks to the script with grades. 

D. No. 

A lot of people here know my background and how I got into UT so I won't get into it, but this shit isn't complicated. UT wants to see that you're not a fuckup and dedicated to EARNING your degree. He sounds plenty smart to accomplish this. Just make sure his first year he's sticking to his goals and not getting lost in the party. Also, joining frats can be helpful but are not necessary. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laughable Losers said:

Options:

I know you love your son but have you considered that he's not yours?  I'd cut a bitch before any of my children or grandchildren attend aggy.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

I know, we will wait until the last minute for Cockrell to let him in.
Maybe Berkeley or UCLA will give him a full ride. UT Dallas is a major option as well.

Isn’t UT-Dallas ranked higher than aggy in engineering? I believe so. If that is the case, with the full ride your decision is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro