• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Isn't that more than we pay Sark? He has only two years of head coaching experience and just went 7-5.

A&M is fucking up the coaching market with this insanity.

I strongly suspect we have Jimmy Sexton and all their fuckery involving Stoops over the weekend to thank for that, more than likely.

So...um...yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure** the actual contract language is more specific, but from that summary, from the structure of those bonuses it's not explicitly clear that he only gets the highest applicable bonus. (For example, I'm assuming A&M intended that if he wins the CFP, he gets the 3.5 M bonus, but not all the preceding lesser bonuses too.) 

** well, it is aggy so I'm not actually sure

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

at least there appears to be offset language this time.

And a buyout clause if he decides to leave for another gig. Starts at $6.5M in Year 1 and goes down each year.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Isn't that more than we pay Sark? He has only two years of head coaching experience and just went 7-5.

A&M is fucking up the coaching market with this insanity.

Yes.

Just now, Paper_jam said:

I'm sure** the actual contract language is more specific, but from that summary, from the structure of those bonuses it's not explicitly clear that he only gets the highest applicable bonus. (For example, I'm assuming A&M intended that if he wins the CFP, he gets the 3.5 M bonus, but not all the preceding lesser bonuses too.) 

There truly is no telling.

13 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I strongly suspect we have Jimmy Sexton and all their fuckery involving Stoops over the weekend to thank for that, more than likely.

So...um...yeah.

I'm sure Sexton did the math and thought, "You're saying I can get Mike fucking Elko 42 million guaranteed??? Sign me the fuck up!" 

Compare that to Stoops already having 9m a year guaranteed through 2030, while Elko only had 3.5m through 2029. Sexton made the right call, and he may have had something to do with it. Elko just doubled his guaranteed money, and has some unlikely but significant escalators. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm sure Sexton did the math and thought, "You're saying I can get Mike fucking Elko 42 million guaranteed??? Sign me the fuck up!" 
Compare that to Stoops already having 9m a year guaranteed through 2030, while Elko only had 3.5m through 2029. Sexton made the right call, and he may have had something to do with it.  
By this point Sexton knows how to play aggy like a fiddle. They alone have been responsible for at least 60% of his growing pile of wealth over the past decade.
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

It’s going to be lot easier than that.  Elko will only collect a base salary.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

1 million bucks to finish in the top 12. Does ATM know the playoff is expanding next year?

Haha, I was about to post the same thing. 

#12 in the next playoff rankings is projected to be OU. Doesn’t seem like Venables had the kind of season you reward with a 7 figure bonus, but what the fuck do I know. 

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

1 million bucks to finish in the top 12. Does ATM know the playoff is expanding next year?

Probably not. A million dollar bonus for finishing in the top 12 is ridiculous.

Bjork figuring it out after the contract was signed.

mess-up-mundane-detail.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm actually surprised the contract isn't more in Elko's favor, tbh. Assuming Sark gets a raise, after he and Venables join the conference, that will likely make Elko the 11th highest paid coach in the conference. $1M more for a top 12 finish seems unlikely, but $8M likely wont be a "top 12" cfb salary. They must really be broke if thats all Sexton could milk out of them. Either that or they are funneling money on the side so that they don't look any dumber than they currently do. There will be worse contracts handed out this offseason would be my guess, so congrats aggy.

Edited by Blotto

• 1. Nick Saban, Alabama (No. 1 overall): $11.407 million
  • 2. Kirby Smart, Georgia (No. 3 overall): $10.706 million
  • 3. Brian Kelly, LSU (No. 6 overall): $9.975 million
  • 4. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M (No. 7 overall): $9.15 million
  • 5. Mark Stoops, Kentucky (No. 8 overall): $9.014 million
  • 6. Josh Heupel, Tennessee (No. 9 overall): $9 million
  • 7. Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss (No. 10 overall): $9 million
  • 8. Billy Napier, Florida (No. 16 overall): $7.27 million
  • 9. Hugh Freeze, Auburn (No. 20 overall): $6.5 million
  • 10. Sam Pittman, Arkansas (No. 22 overall): $6.358 million
  • 11. Shane Beamer, South Carolina (No. 24 overall): $6.125 million
  • 12. Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri (No. 25 overall): $6 million
  • 13. Clark Lea, Vanderbilt (No. 56 overall): $3.052 million
  • 14. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State No. (58 overall): $3 million

Honestly, 7 milly is cheap.

However, he royally fucked aggy on the buyout. If he bolts for another job, he only owes $6.5 million maximum. That's peanuts for the acquiring school. However, if they fire him, they owe him 75% of his contract, which is $31.5 million on day 1.

Essentially, we cannot lose. If he fails, he deals another devastating financial blow to aggy. If he succeeds, he's off to a blue blood program or the NFL is a heartbeat.

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm actually surprised the contract isn't more in Elko's favor, tbh. Assuming Sark gets a raise, after he and Venables join the conference, that will likely make Elko the 11th highest paid coach in the conference. $1M more for a top 12 finish seems unlikely, but $8M likely wont be a "top 12" cfb salary. They must really be broke if thats all Sexton could milk out of them.

They were negotiating against Duke.  A&M has fucked up enough contracts to rightfully be skeptical, but Duke wasn't gonna go $7M.  I said this yesterday and people seemed perplexed -- why would Elko take less than what Jimbo made?

Because he doesn't have the resume Jimbo had when he was hired.  There is no rule that salaries must always go up.  Honestly, I don't think $7M was necessary, but Sexton vs A&M is gonna fall on the side of Sexton 10 times out of 10.

He's recruited/coached at Wake Forest, Penn, Notre Dame, and Duke?  Those are places where even the football players are expected to take normal courses and get very little leniency in terms of evaluation by professors, save for travel and injuries.  How's he gonna helm Texas A&M''s program when the only expectation is that your players are vaguely aware that there are courses being offered somewhere in the College Station/Bryan metroplex?  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TOR said:

$7 million holy shit!  Yeah, that is the Elko retirement plan right there, he doesn't even have to worry about the incentives.  No wonder Mrs. Elko said 'sure why not?'

Wasn't he only making 3.5 at Duke? They have permanently screwed themselves with the Jimbo contract. No coach will ever come there for a discount.