• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Evan will not announce anything until he is done with exams and off campus.

No one in his or a similar situation should announce shit until they are done with the semester. 

You think these NIL guys are going to college to play school?  With the very rare exception, I’d say most of those guys rarely darken the door of a classroom, and certainly don’t need to do things like exams. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

He's recruited/coached at Wake Forest, Penn, Notre Dame, and Duke?  Those are places where even the football players are expected to take normal courses and get very little leniency in terms of evaluation by professors, save for travel and injuries.  How's he gonna helm Texas A&M''s program when the only expectation is that your players are vaguely aware that there are courses being offered somewhere in the College Station/Bryan metroplex?  

Football players at A&M are expected to take the same courses in chicken as the rest of the students.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Pretty decent photo gallery of last night’s and today’s Elko related events here: https://theeagle.com/gallery/gallery-coach-mike-elko-arrival-and-welcome-celebration/collection_fb815f1e-8d78-11ee-8430-f3785d7a8268.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheEagleAggies#15

but GD this one photo fucking cracks me. It is the look on Bjork’s face:

IMG_8241.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Pretty decent photo gallery of last night’s and today’s Elko related events here: https://theeagle.com/gallery/gallery-coach-mike-elko-arrival-and-welcome-celebration/collection_fb815f1e-8d78-11ee-8430-f3785d7a8268.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_TheEagleAggies#15

but GD this one photo fucking cracks me. It is the look on Bjork’s face:

IMG_8241.jpeg

He just couldn’t bring himself to don the maroon jacket. He already has a foot out the door on day 1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

14.2 million being spent on HC salary through 2030, amazing.

So there was this show on HGTV where people buy islands—some of these are like $5-10 million. You could buy one for this. Also, their boosters/BMDs have got to be livid. I mean that’s just incredible. It should be going to do more about bat guano and rabies awareness and improving other things around the facility and NIL money. That’s just one year of a Holgo buyout. SMDH. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

So there was this show on HGTV where people buy islands—some of these are like $5-10 million. You could buy one for this. Also, their boosters/BMDs have got to be livid. I mean that’s just incredible. It should be going to do more about bat guano and rabies awareness and improving other things around the facility and NIL money. That’s just one year of a Holgo buyout. SMDH. 

Would you rather have an island or a 7-5 coach? C'mon

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Under Mike Elko, Texas A&M is going to take the stairs

Gone are the custom cowboy boots, the TBD national championship plaques and the $75 million guaranteed contract. In are a "blue-collar mentality" and a little bit of competitive humility.

ZACH BARNETT      59 MINUTES AGO

This time around, there was no ceremonial pair of cowboy boots. There will be no national championship plaque with the year to be filled in later. And there will be no $75 million, fully-guaranteed contract.

Texas A&M's dismissal of Jimbo Fisher and its hiring of Mike Elko, his former assistant, as his replacement was many things, but most of all it was an admission that building a championship program was more than just hiring a coach who'd done it before and assuming the rest would take care of itself.

"We are not going to talk about it anymore," Elko said Monday, "we are going to be about it."

"I say this to my players all the time: there is no button you push to get to the top of college football," he said later. "There's a stair that you have to climb every single day to accomplish what you want to accomplish."

In the two weeks between the firing of Fisher and the hiring of Elko, Texas A&M AD Ross Bjork said he spoke to 30 coaches and more than 25 ex-players -- some of those, like Lions head coach Dan Campbell, are both -- which, he said, "helped crystalize the identity of the ideal candidate."

However, the most instructive activity Bjork and his team undertook, as he recounted Monday, was a research project that studied how each national champions in the SEC are built. 

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback," Bjork said.

Texas A&M's own history, the halcyon "Wrecking Crew" days of the 1990s under R.C. Slocum (himself a former A&M assistant before taking over the program), also led Bjork back to Elko. 

"When is Kyle Field at its best? When the defense plays at an elite level," Bjork said.

Elko's return is interesting because it's equal parts a fast-track hire and a slow-burn hire. He was the defensive coordinator when A&M recruited its record-breaking 2022 recruiting class, who now enters its junior season in 2024. No SEC schedule will ever be "easy" moving forward, but the Aggies avoid Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss and Oklahoma in 2024. Their toughest games (Notre Dame, LSU, Texas) are all at home. With the Playoff expanding, there's no reason A&M shouldn't, at minimum, be part of the conversation this time next year. 

"We will become the absolute best version of ourself as quickly as possible, because the best version of Texas A&M football wins the national championship," Elko said. "The best version of Texas A&M football, our way, wins the national championship." 

At the same time, what are fair expectations for a program whose lone national title came in 1939? Whose last conference championship came in 1998? How much time should a program that's 12-12 over the past two years spend talking about national championships? 

"We also embrace who we are right now, where we need to work and where we need to improve to get where we want to go... No one will hand us anything -- not in this conference, not in this country, not in this era of college football. We're going to have to go out and get it. We're going to have to understand that there are no shortcuts to success."

Texas A&M will take the stairs under Mike Elko, and they'll do so in tennis shoes, not custom cowboy boots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The lack of clarifying language on those incentives is surprising.  Maybe this is just the summary and that detail is elsewhere?  Maybe the intent is to only get paid for the highest accomplishment, but it reads as if he gets a 10.5m (cumulative) bonus for winning the national championship.  That's certainly how I'd interpret it if it was my comp plan.  I'd be curious which way it goes.  Honestly, a national championship is probably worth much more than $3.5m (and not likely to be paid frequently if at all), so I suspect it's cumulative.  It doesn't look like a terrible contract, obviously a much better than what they get themselves into with Jimbo.  

5 minutes ago, blutow said:

The lack of clarifying language on those incentives is surprising.  Maybe this is just the summary and that detail is elsewhere?  Maybe the intent is to only get paid for the highest accomplishment, but it reads as if he gets a 10.5m (cumulative) bonus for winning the national championship.  That's certainly how I'd interpret it if it was my comp plan.  I'd be curious which way it goes.  Honestly, a national championship is probably worth much more than $3.5m (and not likely to be paid frequently if at all), so I suspect it's cumulative.  It doesn't look like a terrible contract, obviously a much better than what they get themselves into with Jimbo.  

I'm pretty sure that's just a cheat sheet for it. Probably clarifications in the actual contract but who knows with the ags.

This is the gold from Bjork

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback."

no shit dude.  you have 1 of 6. good luck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

However, the most instructive activity Bjork and his team undertook, as he recounted Monday, was a research project that studied how each national champions in the SEC are built. 

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback," Bjork said.

It's simple.  So simple.  

Yet aggy has never even sniffed winning the SEC, and the last time they won a NC was just after Hitler invaded Poland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas A&M's own history, the halcyon "Wrecking Crew" days of the 1990s under R.C. Slocum (himself a former A&M assistant before taking over the program), also led Bjork back to Elko. 

Yes, that and the fact that everyone else turned them down and BMDs and fans rejected his 6th choice of a middle-of-the-road 7-5 SEC coach.  When your last choices are Elko or a 38 year old position coach, that led Bjork back to Elko.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was thinking that no way they include the milkmen in the ceremony, and there they are. Never change aggy.
Staying on brand, good good. Not a good idea to alienate the old army gomers who will be emptying out their retirement accounts and grandkids college funds to pay for this shitshow.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This is the gold from Bjork

"The more you look at it, the simpler it gets. The majority of the winners have these things in common: a defensive-minded head coach, a championship-level culture, recruit and acquire elite NFL-type talent, play great offense and score a lot of points with a high-level quarterback."

no shit dude.  you have 1 of 6. good luck.

Uh, it's actually easier than that...the majority of SEC championships over the past 10 years have had 1 thing in common.  Nick Saban.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

As much as I want to believe that this is a $17.5M contract, I think it's this...

Playoff: +$1M
Quarters/SEC Champ: +$500k
Semis: +$500k
2nd: +$500k
NC: +$1M

$7M base
$10.5M max w/ NC

Yeah, I don't know.  Even if $17.5m is the payout for an NC year, that's not a dumb number.  Shit like that drives finance people crazy (because it's hard to know what to plan for), but the reality is that will be a very rare year and even if he's winning an NC ever few years that's $ well spent.  It's a way you can convince Elko he's making as much (or more) as the top guys without committing to pay him $10m/year+.  Under that plan, chances are his average annual salary would be well under $10m, even if he's getting into the playoffs frequently.  

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I'm actually surprised the contract isn't more in Elko's favor, tbh. Assuming Sark gets a raise, after he and Venables join the conference, that will likely make Elko the 11th highest paid coach in the conference. $1M more for a top 12 finish seems unlikely, but $8M likely wont be a "top 12" cfb salary. They must really be broke if thats all Sexton could milk out of them. Either that or they are funneling money on the side so that they don't look any dumber than they currently do. There will be worse contracts handed out this offseason would be my guess, so congrats aggy.

They had to leave themselves room for the inevitable raise/extension after Elko goes 9-4 with a bowl win over an opt-out depleted opponent.

And they still don't understand they'll NEVER get past that me-first culture, when they're hiring mercenaries by dropping huge bags on a select few.  True NIL is more transparent and causes less turmoil on a team, but it's not in the ag culture to develop something solid and transparent from the ground-up.  They ALWAYS try to short circuit every process  by throwing giant bags of cash at them.

They ARE the culture problem.  They created it, they embedded it, they continue to cultivate it, and I don't see them ever having enough self-awareness to change any of that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

So their research project revealed that the best formula to win a National Championship was to:

1) have Nick Saban
2) have a dominant defense
3) have a great QB
4) have a bunch of NFL talent
5) have a dominant offense

They might be on to something. Sounds easy.

and they didn't even need to consult/pay Korn Ferry.  Genius.

• Haha 1