Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Here's a fun one.

And Randolph Duke just chimed in:

As per the Chronicle of Higher Education professor salary database, in Texas, Texas A&M ranks 5th in the state (behind even U of H) in professor salaries. They pay their assistant profs less than U of H, or The University of North Texas. The pay their instructors less than even Austin Community College.

aggy athletics ran into severe financial problems in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2008. They couldn't pay their bills and had to get interest free loans from the university to make ends meet. They also couldn't pay their bills in 2012 and, yet again, had to borrow from the academic side. Incredibly, in 2017, aggy athletics again didn't generate enough to pay their bills. These loans are scheduled to finally be paid off in 2028.

Kyle Field was originally built the same year as The Big House, but because A&M has struggled financially for so many years, they couldn't afford to perform routine maintenance and the stadium was eventually condemned by the fire marshal as a danger to public safety. That is why such a massive rebuild job was required.

When they rebuilt the stadium, they raised $130 million from donors and borrowed $350 million. (Their debt service is roughly $28 million annually on $145 mil in operating income, or roughly 20%. UT and Ohio State, by comparison, have debt service of roughly 7% of revenue). Univ of Michigan raised $168 million from donors just for their new performance center. Okie Lite and Oregon also raised FAR more than A&M for facilities projects. Univ of Michigan, Oklahoma State and Oregon are all far wealthier than Texas A&M.

In short, Texas A&M spends on athletics, has massive debt as compared to other programs, subsidizes their athletics programs under the table and deprives the students in order to fund their athletics mediocrity.

Smoke, mirrors, and bad academics is how A&M has the money to upgrade from the Kevin Sumlin era of 8-4 football seasons to the 8-4 seasons of Jimbo Fisher.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

And Randolph Duke just chimed in:

Lol at this Tech cuck:

It's kind of funny that when I read this and almost laughed out loud at how absurd this question is as a Texan. As a outsider though I can imagine it seems wild though.

Aggies are everywhere, Aggies produce a lot of engineers in a engineering heavy state, Aggies hire Aggies, Aggies really care about football, etc. It's really just a matter of time until they start ripping off conference championships for a while.

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Aggies really care about football, etc. It's really just a matter of time until they start ripping off conference championships for a while..

Does just saying things like this, with no supporting evidence or logic, actually increase the likelihood that they happen?

If so, it's really just a matter of time before the Texas pom squad shows up at my house for our sleepover.  Sure it's never happened before, and there's no reason to rationally believe it ever will, but I really care about Texas pom so it's obviously just a matter of time. 

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Does just saying things like this, with no supporting evidence or logic, actually increase the likelihood that they happen?

If so, it's really just a matter of time before the Texas pom squad shows up at my house for our sleepover.  Sure it's never happened before, and there's no reason to rationally believe it ever will, but I really care about Texas pom so it's obviously just a matter of time. 

And this was a Tech fan saying this... (supposedly)

I don't think Tech even knows what a conference championship trophy looks like.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Like clockwork, my Facebook feed is lit up by aggy professors complaining that the university's IT infrastructure is on the fritz. Happens every semester during finals for some reason.

That's why I scheduled my dog's surgery during the winter break.

• Like 1

"Hotard" hall?  Hell they spelled it wrong.

They call a short bus a hall?!?!?

902a6ee1082ef92826f344db4dbab32d.jpg

Ps it IS pronounced Ho Tard.

I asked one of their bus drivers when it showed up at studios while I was working bus position. I had to stifle laughing while I directed him to a bus parking spot. HO fucking TARD. They from New Orleans.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

i graduated UT in 1996.

basically,  in the past 20 years or so...

it has gotten exponentially MORE difficult to get into UT..and it has gotten much easier to get into atm. 

is that about it?

wow

I’m c/o ‘95. And it was harder to get into Texas back then, too. But UT was the only school I applied to. 

• Like 1

Here’s more debt for aggy.

The league office fined Texas A&M $50,000 on Monday morning for violations of the "access to competition area policy" after the Aggies' 74-72, seven-overtime, win over No. 7 LSU Saturday night because fans poured out onto the field.

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/11/26/lsu-texas-am-fines-sec-review-postgame-fight/2121714002/

14 hours ago, mchookem said:

i graduated UT in 1996.

basically,  in the past 20 years or so...

it has gotten exponentially MORE difficult to get into UT..and it has gotten much easier to get into atm. 

is that about it?

wow

My son applied to both aggy and UT a few years ago.  He finished just a couple of students behind the top 10% in his class and got denied unconditional admission to UT, but I think he got clear admission to aggy.  Why he applied to aggy to this day I do not know other than a large number of his high school friend group is at aggy.  He did get an automatic transfer offer to UT which required him to maintain a 3.0 or something like that and take freshmen course work at a  UT system school which he did at UTSA.  But he liked UTSA and stayed there and to tell you the truth, it probably helped a good bit with his college expenses primarily  the cost of housing.  Plus he has a very kick ass internship he wouldn't have been able to do in Austin and ended up being a paid one as well.     He is looking forward to going to McCombs for his MBA.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

My daughter lives in Durham, NC.  Last week she was at an event and ran into an aggy ring wearing female.  My daughter commented to the girl that she saw that she attended the school for the aggy.

That prompted the girl to begin to extol the virtues of the school, etc.  My daughter enjoyed a few minutes of this comedy routine and finally said, "Well, I graduated from Texas".  This ended the routine and the girl meekly slithered away.  She had been outed.

awesome

Empiricism, how does it work?

I wear my college ring because I worked my ass off for it.  

But I don't act like it's some sacred artifact.  It's personal, solely for me, and I don't care if anyone else ever notices it.  It's also sentimental because my grandfather bought it for me, as he bought one for each of his grandchildren that graduated from college.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

My daughter lives in Durham, NC.  Last week she was at an event and ran into an aggy ring wearing female.  My daughter commented to the girl that she saw that she attended the school for the aggy.

That prompted the girl to begin to extol the virtues of the school, etc.  My daughter enjoyed a few minutes of this comedy routine and finally said, "Well, I graduated from Texas".  This ended the routine and the girl meekly slithered away.  She had been outed.

Outstanding. A girl deserves all the rep she can get.

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

Serious question, how many other folks really wear their college rings like the gomers? I am sure they will have a Blinn ring ceremony next?

I wear my Odessa Permian state high school championship ring wherever I go. It reminds me of a simpler, better time: when I was king of the school and worshipped in the hallways. 

Never felt that feeling since. Just wake up and put my 8 hours in down at the sanitation department. They'll let me retire in 4 years, but I'm scared at the thought of letting it go. I've been there for 30 years, but it feels just like yesterday that I was wearing my helmet and pads underneath those bright Friday night lights. 

Texas forever. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

Serious question, how many other folks really wear their college rings like the gomers? I am sure they will have a Blinn ring ceremony next?

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I wear my college ring because I worked my ass off for it.  

But I don't act like it's some sacred artifact.  It's personal, solely for me, and I don't care if anyone else ever notices it.  It's also sentimental because my grandfather bought it for me, as he bought one for each of his grandchildren that graduated from college.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wore mine for a few years after college. Stopped when I got married because I’m not really a jewelry guy and one ring is plenty. But when I was wearing it, every damned aggy just assumed it was an aggy ring and was surprised when I told them it was from Texas. 

I wear mine, but as utee94 said, it's for me.  Graduating from UT is a personal accomplishment of which I am proud and it is my reminder.  I also don't care if anybody notices it, but I do get the occasional compliment.  Some may think it's weird to wear it, but I honestly dgaf.

It is also a source of amusement for me, as many an aggy over the years has seen it from a few feet away and assumed it is an aggy ring.  I love the look on their face when they ask about it and I throw up the Horns.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I wear mine, but as utee94 said, it's for me.  Graduating from UT is a personal accomplishment of which I am proud and it is my reminder.  I also don't care if anybody notices it, but I do get the occasional compliment.  Some may think it's weird to wear it, but I honestly dgaf.

It is also a source of amusement for me, as many an aggy over the years has seen it from a few feet away and assumed it is an aggy ring.  I love the look on their face when they ask about it and I throw up the Horns.

I can understand that.  I have my diploma nicely set on the wall of my home office. Sister bought the framing for me as a graduation gift when she didn't even have the money.  

• Like 1

I wore mine for a few years after college. Stopped when I got married because I’m not really a jewelry guy and one ring is plenty. But when I was wearing it, every damned aggy just assumed it was an aggy ring and was surprised when I told them it was from Texas. 
Same. Honestly, aggy encounters was a big reason I stopped wearing it. Also no longer wear a watch or wedding ring (sore spot). Also not wearing pants right now.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 12/13/2018 at 2:18 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Here’s more debt for aggy.

The league office fined Texas A&M $50,000 on Monday morning for violations of the "access to competition area policy" after the Aggies' 74-72, seven-overtime, win over No. 7 LSU Saturday night because fans poured out onto the field.

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/11/26/lsu-texas-am-fines-sec-review-postgame-fight/2121714002/

Who the fuck rushes their own field? Oh right, aggy,