• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

40 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:
I wore mine for a few years after college. Stopped when I got married because I’m not really a jewelry guy and one ring is plenty. But when I was wearing it, every damned aggy just assumed it was an aggy ring and was surprised when I told them it was from Texas. 

Same. Honestly, aggy encounters was a big reason I stopped wearing it. Also no longer wear a watch or wedding ring (sore spot). Also not wearing pants right now.

Since it’s your day off, pants are optional.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I wear my Odessa Permian state high school championship ring wherever I go. It reminds me of a simpler, better time: when I was king of the school and worshipped in the hallways. 

Never felt that feeling since. Just wake up and put my 8 hours in down at the sanitation department. They'll let me retire in 4 years, but I'm scared at the thought of letting it go. I've been there for 30 years, but it feels just like yesterday that I was wearing my helmet and pads underneath those bright Friday night lights. 

Texas forever. 

Are you chris comer? 

7 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

If serious that sucks... didn't know. I was living in Odessa during that run so Permian is close to my heart. 

Yeah. He died in August apparently. Just 46. 

Looks like it was related to Kidney failure.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I have no idea where my Texas ring is.  I could care less about a ring.  Trying to convince my fiancé to let me get a tattoo instead of wearing a wedding band.  My degree is packed up somewhere in a closet.  I should probably put it up.

It's a lot harder to get rid of tattoo than a wife.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I have no idea where my Texas ring is.  I could care less about a ring.  Trying to convince my fiancé to let me get a tattoo instead of wearing a wedding band.  My degree is packed up somewhere in a closet.  I should probably put it up.

Tattoo of a ring or tribal tattoo on your bicep?

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

If aggy asks about your ring, tell them it's an aggy ring. When they start whooping and asking what year, tell them, "Oh I didn't go there. I picked it up at a pawn shop for $27. Or was it $25? Well, somewhere around 27-25."

That is one nice thing about losing my ring. They were constantly asking me if it was one of their rings. 

Spoiler

Texas A&M's time is coming

ByJEFF TARPLEY 56 minutes ago 

One of the things that I’ve done since the end of the regular season is take a look back at a position by positon what was an eventful 2018 football season for Texas A&M. Today, I would like to interrupt that series for some thoughts on the future of A&M football. I’ve seen A&M at its best and remembered what the odds were like to get there and quite honestly they were more daunting in those days than they are now.

My expectations of A&M football have seemingly been higher than those of a lot of people in recent years. That’s because I’m old enough to remember when A&M was a national title contender in the mid 1970’s, when Jackie Sherrill was bringing the Aggies three Southwest Conference titles in the 1980’s, and R.C. Slocum was fielding top ten programs in the 1990’s. There was a sense when Mack Brown and Bob Stoops were roaming the sidelines at Texas and Oklahoma, respectively, that A&M couldn’t get back to that level for various reasons. In addition, I look at the Alabamas and LSUs of the Aggies’ current home in the Southeastern Conference and what it has taken for those programs to compete at a high level.

A&M can replicate its history. It can replicate the present associated with its competitors. I have no qualms that it can do so based on the events of the past few years and in particular the last 12 months.

The Aggies went out and hired a national championship winning coach who knows what it takes to win at that level. We’ve seen how Jimbo Fisher operates from day one when he arrived on campus and immediately hit the ground running, especially in terms of recruiting. He started out from behind and landed a top 20 class but in particular he closed strongly on signing day (something that A&M hadn’t done in recent years) and flipped a highly regarded prospect in Bobby Brown back to the Aggies after he had decommitted to Alabama of all places. Fisher now has a top five class nationally in hand for 2019 and a top ten ranked class for 2020. He’s personable and organized and he has a staff in place that rivals or exceeds those that Sherrill and Slocum had when they were dominating recruiting and a national reach that either lacked.

On the field, we’ve already seen Fisher’s impact on the program. He understands the value of being physical, having size, and playing error free football. He took the same players that a year ago ranked in the bottom half of the SEC in rushing offense, run defense, and penalties and in 2018 had them at or near the top of the SEC in those categories. Unlike Sherrill and some of the other coaches that have come through A&M…and this is no slight on Sherrill…he got improvement out of them right away and fashioned not just a winning record but got them into a better bowl game than they played in from 2014-2017.

That doesn’t mean that there won’t be bumps in the road along the way. A&M lost a game that it should have won against Auburn that may have cost it a trip to a New Year’s Day bowl game. It lost two highly regarded commits at need positions this past week while essentially replacing one of them. A&M plays in the toughest conference in the country and recruits against those same programs (10 of the top 20 ranked recruiting classes nationally currently belong to SEC programs). These things are going to happen no matter how many things Fisher and his staff do right over the course of the next few years because those schools are going to compete too.

Even so, when I look at Fisher is doing and what A&M is doing to support him and the football program, I can see where everything is headed. The hindsight of experience enables me to do that via the classes that Sherrill brought in during his first three seasons at A&M. Those classes included a top 15 class nationally to start with and a couple of top five classes to follow that elevated A&M’s talent level not just to equal that of its primary competitors but exceed them

However, that talent needed time in the weightroom, the physical maturity, and the game experience to translate those attributes into productivity. In addition, it had been years since A&M had competed at a championship level so there wasn’t a winning culture and work ethic that could be passed down from player to player. Once A&M won one, more followed because the players and coaches had learned how to win....and even when A&M wasn’t winning them they were at least playing for them.

This A&M program needs time too.That goes somewhat against the sense of urgency that I’m always preaching about but A&M’s talent level still isn’t on par with that of the upper echelon programs in the SEC. This past season, A&M started 11 underclassmen at times and half of its starting lineup were ranked as three star prospects. 2018 will represent a nadir in terms of the talent and experience that Fisher will have to work with in the coming years.

The Aggies are also still learning how to compete at a certain level and as I mentioned that takes time as well. In addition, the schedule next year features trips to Clemson, Georgia, and LSU as well as a home date with Alabama. As tough as A&M’s schedule was this season, it’s not going to get any easier until 2020 when Clemson and Georgia go off of it. Schedules like that represent double edged swords with both opportunity and peril depending on if you win those games or not.

It took Emory Bellard four years, Sherrill four years, and Slocum three years to win titles at A&M. It took Fisher three seasons to take a conference title and four to take home a national title.

But based on everything we've seen, A&M is right on schedule. A&M’s time is coming.

Roller Coaster is going up!!! National Titles are coming!!

Edited by Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Hide contents

One of the things that I’ve done since the end of the regular season is take a look back at a position by positon what was an eventful 2018 football season for Texas A&M. Today, I would like to interrupt that series for some thoughts on the future of A&M football. I’ve seen A&M at its best and remembered what the odds were like to get there and quite honestly they were more daunting in those days than they are now.

My expectations of A&M football have seemingly been higher than those of a lot of people in recent years. That’s because I’m old enough to remember when A&M was a national title contender in the mid 1970’s, when Jackie Sherrill was bringing the Aggies three Southwest Conference titles in the 1980’s, and R.C. Slocum was fielding top ten programs in the 1990’s. There was a sense when Mack Brown and Bob Stoops were roaming the sidelines at Texas and Oklahoma, respectively, that A&M couldn’t get back to that level for various reasons. In addition, I look at the Alabamas and LSUs of the Aggies’ current home in the Southeastern Conference and what it has taken for those programs to compete at a high level.

A&M can replicate its history. It can replicate the present associated with its competitors. I have no qualms that it can do so based on the events of the past few years and in particular the last 12 months.

The Aggies went out and hired a national championship winning coach who knows what it takes to win at that level. We’ve seen how Jimbo Fisher operates from day one when he arrived on campus and immediately hit the ground running, especially in terms of recruiting. He started out from behind and landed a top 20 class but in particular he closed strongly on signing day (something that A&M hadn’t done in recent years) and flipped a highly regarded prospect in Bobby Brown back to the Aggies after he had decommitted to Alabama of all places. Fisher now has a top five class nationally in hand for 2019 and a top ten ranked class for 2020. He’s personable and organized and he has a staff in place that rivals or exceeds those that Sherrill and Slocum had when they were dominating recruiting and a national reach that either lacked.

On the field, we’ve already seen Fisher’s impact on the program. He understands the value of being physical, having size, and playing error free football. He took the same players that a year ago ranked in the bottom half of the SEC in rushing offense, run defense, and penalties and in 2018 had them at or near the top of the SEC in those categories. Unlike Sherrill and some of the other coaches that have come through A&M…and this is no slight on Sherrill…he got improvement out of them right away and fashioned not just a winning record but got them into a better bowl game than they played in from 2014-2017.

That doesn’t mean that there won’t be bumps in the road along the way. A&M lost a game that it should have won against Auburn that may have cost it a trip to a New Year’s Day bowl game. It lost two highly regarded commits at need positions this past week while essentially replacing one of them. A&M plays in the toughest conference in the country and recruits against those same programs (10 of the top 20 ranked recruiting classes nationally currently belong to SEC programs). These things are going to happen no matter how many things Fisher and his staff do right over the course of the next few years because those schools are going to compete too.

Even so, when I look at Fisher is doing and what A&M is doing to support him and the football program, I can see where everything is headed. The hindsight of experience enables me to do that via the classes that Sherrill brought in during his first three seasons at A&M. Those classes included a top 15 class nationally to start with and a couple of top five classes to follow that elevated A&M’s talent level not just to equal that of its primary competitors but exceed them

However, that talent needed time in the weightroom, the physical maturity, and the game experience to translate those attributes into productivity. In addition, it had been years since A&M had competed at a championship level so there wasn’t a winning culture and work ethic that could be passed down from player to player. Once A&M won one, more followed because the players and coaches had learned how to win....and even when A&M wasn’t winning them they were at least playing for them.

This A&M program needs time too.That goes somewhat against the sense of urgency that I’m always preaching about but A&M’s talent level still isn’t on par with that of the upper echelon programs in the SEC. This past season, A&M started 11 underclassmen at times and half of its starting lineup were ranked as three star prospects. 2018 will represent a nadir in terms of the talent and experience that Fisher will have to work with in the coming years.

The Aggies are also still learning how to compete at a certain level and as I mentioned that takes time as well. In addition, the schedule next year features trips to Clemson, Georgia, and LSU as well as a home date with Alabama. As tough as A&M’s schedule was this season, it’s not going to get any easier until 2020 when Clemson and Georgia go off of it. Schedules like that represent double edged swords with both opportunity and peril depending on if you win those games or not.

It took Emory Bellard four years, Sherrill four years, and Slocum three years to win titles at A&M. It took Fisher three seasons to take a conference title and four to take home a national title.

But based on everything we've seen, A&M is right on schedule. A&M’s time is coming.

The dude cites their cheating days as the best aggy days evar and then goes on to say that they can get there again. SECSECSEC?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He’s right. Fisher just bought himself a couple more players. 

I guess aggy thinks they're just going to waltz into the SEC and start playing big boy ball with 'Bama, Auburn and the Mississippi schools. LOL. Just because you were invited to join the club doesn't mean you get to join the old boys poker game in the back room. Doofii.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Hide contents

I definitely laughed a few times during this. The Bobby Brown “flip” from Bama, the lauding of top 5 classes that ended in NCAA sanctions. Yes, aggys time is coming alright. Top 5 classes, starting with this one, to College Station should send off warning lights at the NCAA immediately.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, Homesickhorn said:

Kind of fucked up, but I just realized that the actor who played Comer in the movie actually committed suicide a few years back.

I just did a google search and found out that his son, Chris Jr., also passed in 2015.  Was a student at Tech and trying to get into law school or some such when he got a liver transplant that did not hold.  

How many of the main characters from the book are doing OK?  

Spoiler  

The derp is STRONG in this one.

88ece6f90e000df66d5f0dc7a5d7694b.jpge43201027f004fe076c48f66ec1ddfda.jpg662b1f5318fde17b2af90eb5cb4a363a.jpg30d733c4f66d51575f03a403f6ec94ca.jpgaa65e4a80d763217a814c8c053fe4e45.gifdea32ca020d9fcac4c80c36cd7d29167.jpg
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OK, which one of you guys started this?

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3008739

They sure are precious over there.  It looks like 2019 will bring aggy another 8 win season, with 5 of those being against: Texas State, Lamar, UTSA, Arkansas and Ole Miss.  But rest assured, aggy will be talking about how amazing their S&P+ rank is, or other crap to deflect the fact that they will lose to every good team they play.

I wear my Odessa Permian state high school championship ring wherever I go. It reminds me of a simpler, better time: when I was king of the school and worshipped in the hallways. 
Never felt that feeling since. Just wake up and put my 8 hours in down at the sanitation department. They'll let me retire in 4 years, but I'm scared at the thought of letting it go. I've been there for 30 years, but it feels just like yesterday that I was wearing my helmet and pads underneath those bright Friday night lights. 
Texas forever. 

Was 89 your senior season?
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, TrashMaster G said:

I wear mine, but as utee94 said, it's for me.  Graduating from UT is a personal accomplishment of which I am proud and it is my reminder.  I also don't care if anybody notices it, but I do get the occasional compliment.  Some may think it's weird to wear it, but I honestly dgaf.

It is also a source of amusement for me, as many an aggy over the years has seen it from a few feet away and assumed it is an aggy ring.  I love the look on their face when they ask about it and I throw up the Horns.

Same here. I wear mine from time to time. I do have a lot of idiot aggy who thinks it is am atm ring as if they invented it. They just made one Balfour rep super rich.