• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, Cornpop said:

I'm on the verge of ODi'ng on all of this aggie misery, but yet I just can't seem to get enough

Yeah man heart palpitations may need to head to the ER soon.

The highest buyout in NCAA history was paid by their opponent this week to move on from Malzahn at $21.45 million in 2020. They have since fired Malzahn's replacement and yet here are the gomers staring at breaking that record by a staggering 4x multiplier.

I had wanted to see Bilbo right the ship and stick around but he seems to have adopted the damn the torpedoes approach and so lets see how fast he can sink the aggy battleship.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

Those Jimbo post game press conferences are bizarre. Has he always given a babbling 10 minute synopsis of the game like that? It's fucking painful to listen to but oddly entertaining at the same time.

It's my favorite ten minutes of the week. The theory is that it takes up time so he doesn't have to answer so many embarrassing questions. 

JIMBO-QUOTES.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Perversely at Texas, the BMD factions have held one another "accountable" in some form with each coaching move via infighting. DFW fucks it up once, then Houston fucks it up, then CenTex fucks it up, then rotate while they all yell at each other. Awesome.

I'm not really sure how much of that is actually true, but there's, at a minimum, an element of truth to it. I've seen through the NIL efforts, where folks from Houston are busting their asses across the state to raise funds and guys in Dallas, San Antonio, and Fort Worth have all said "yeah, yeah, we like it, let us help out" and then come back and say they were going to do it on their own, and then wind up doing fucking nothing. But I digress. The NIL stuff is being sorted in big ways that will be public in a few days. 

To the aggie point, they're more unified historically, but they don't have nearly the money. It's also a smaller group, I think. No way ATM would want those guys sitting out a search if there are big buyouts involved. 

Except some how Saban got away becuz of FUPM and his butt buddies, don’t forget Deloss, and then Meyer evaporated somehow. Bottom line- don’t believe in your higher ground stance .sorry, not sorry.

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

I honestly don’t remember this and I have been a fan since about 80ish. Was this an off channel to raycom?

It was the network concept floated prior to the establishment of the Longhorn Network.  We tried to get them to go in on it, but no, so we did the LHN deal.

Oops.

They can never handle any modicum of success. I was talking to an ag frend of a friend last week and he’s still on the “The media never gave Johnny a fair chance from day one.” I said the first time I ever heard his name, it was tied to an awful racially-motivated hate crime. How is that the media’s fault? “Scumbags report what they want to report to fit a narrative.” Conversation devolved from there…

He was talking about tailgating in front of Pyle like he had luxury box seats for the Catalina Wine Mixer. “It’s a multi-generational tradition affair for us. We’ll fly in from anywhere to be there.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

I remember they had an incredible stat about their 2009 season, that they lost every game of theirs that was televised (7) but won all of them that weren't televised (6). 

I can't even remember the last time a Texas game wasn't televised. 

Probably the last time we weren't televised was when we played aggy when they were on probation. Like 93 or 94 maybe?

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Remember the gomers signed Bilbo after he led the preseason #3 team to a 6-6 record. It wasnt like they were duped into thinking the pyrite was gold. It was fucking pyrite in Thailand when they bought it.

You don't understand, their program was a sleeping giant.  They just needed that last piece of the puzzle.  

51 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I was talking with my brother today and questioned, is the level of fucked aggy is currently completely unprecedented?

Not only is Jimbo crashing and burning in embarrassing public fashion in year 5, their insane contract makes him untouchable, the transfer portal means his past recruiting successes can be wiped out immediately, their best players are quitting midseason, legitimate NIL has all but eliminated the advantages of their bag game leaving them with an unimaginably poor recruiting class for 23, no transfer portal candidate with other options is going to be excited to jump to a program where the current roster is fleeing, and to top it all off, they've somehow managed to embarrass themselves extremely publicly week after week this season with shit like the midnight yell finally seeming to hit mainstream attention.

It is genuinely hard to imagine another program that has been as fucked in every direction possible as aggy is right now.  I can't possibly see a way for them to pull out of this in the short term, and that includes if they actually found a way to pay Jimbo's buyout.

They welcomed him to bcs with a red carpet and he's going to burn the entire place to the ground before he leaves.

hate to see it gif.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Remember the gomers signed Bilbo after he led the preseason #3 team to a 6-6 record. It wasnt like they were duped into thinking the pyrite was gold. It was fucking pyrite in Thailand when they bought it.

Don't give him that satisfaction of 6-6 he quit when they were still 5-6 to run to college station. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Probably the last time we weren't televised was when we played aggy when they were on probation. Like 93 or 94 maybe?

Perhaps I'm crazy, but I swear there was a game against Baylor after this that wasn't on tv.  Someone was broadcasting the Baylor Jumbotron feed.

Anyone recall this?

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Perhaps I'm crazy, but I swear there was a game against Baylor after this that wasn't on tv.  Someone was broadcasting the Baylor Jumbotron feed.

Anyone recall this?

I seem to recall listening to Baylor take down the goalposts post game in 1997 on the radio. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

Fun fact: Nobody has ever watched aggy win a football national championship on a color TV. They weren’t readily available to buy until five years after their last championship. 

...or a black and white TV. Although several games in the 1939 season were televised, the first commercial broadcast was not not until the 1940 season. Not sure when aggy first played on TV.  Best guess is sometime in tje 80's.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:05 PM, Sir Ulrich said:

Oh I know they usually do but aggy gonna aggy. 

Screenshot_20221106_150514.thumb.jpg.06d8ff35782e18472b89c065d3eef4da.jpg

Can you imagine being the agent who was negotiating this contract?  Anything A&M asked for, you say "No," and anything you ask for they give you.  He had to just be laughing his ass off at the end of each day.  

A&M: "It is pretty standard to have mitigation and offset clauses in coaching contra..."

Agent: "No, we're not doing that!"

A&M: "Well...OK."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Fun fact: Nobody has ever watched aggy win a football national championship on a color TV. They weren’t readily available to buy until five years after their last championship. 

Better stat: the last time aggy won a MNC is farther away today than it was comparing the years between that time and the Civil War.

Civil war participants got to see the 1939 national championship if they were alive in their 90s.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

their insane contract makes him untouchable

I keep hearing this and it certainly makes it a challenge, but the $85 million is already committed.  It's a sunk cost that is budgeted, it's just a matter of timing on the payout.  "only" 25% has to be paid upon firing and then annual installments for the balance (at least that's what I've read).  Sure, it's tough to pay 25% up front, but they would have a way to raise the funds for the buyout and pay that portion back (plus interest) over time.   The decision is really whether they are willing to pay 2 coaches for the next 9 years.  Assuming they found a new coach at around $5m/yr, the incremental cost of firing Jimbo and bringing in someone new would be around $6m (I'm assuming around $1m year for interest on the payout).  It's an risky bet either way.  If you don't fire him soon, it might result in years of decline costing the program a lot more than the $6m/yr incremental to bring in someone new.  But if the new guy doesn't work out (50/50 at best), you'll be paying 3 coaches when you need to bring in the next savior.    

The Jimbo contract (as I understand it) is really next level stupid on A&M's part.  The 10 year guarantee is nuts to begin with, but having to pay such a big chunk the day they fire him with no offset if he takes another job is just mind bending stupidity.  He can make significantly more $ over the next 9 years by getting fired now and sitting on the beach than he would if he stayed (because he can invest the buyout $).  If he gets another job, he get's that $ as well.  He's leaving millions on the table by not getting fired as soon as possible.  Based on his last couple press conferences, I can't believe he's trying to keep his job at this point.