• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Factoring in Jimbo's remaining salary, the buyout of all the assistant coaches, the new HC salary, and all his new assistant coaches salaries, it's going to cost about $120-140M for aggy to make Jimbo to go away. 

They do not have that kind of money. They are stuck with him probably for the life of this contract.

If aggy starts charging $100 per beer at games, they can buy out Jimbo in…..oh…..anout 12 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Modessit said:

But you're not buying out Jimbo. You continue to pay him to sit in an office and watch SpongeBob all day.

It's like having an expensive car that doesn't work and can't be fixed but you owe a bunch on it still. You can pay off the entire loan and then go buy another, but that means you're paying for two entire cars at once which is hard to do. So you just keep making the monthly payments on the broken one, then lease payments on the new one. Much easier to afford two monthly payments then to pay off both in full.

According to a huge aggy fan I heard bragging at a party, what he called the "Group of 20" or some such bs name for large donors feels that Jimbo's salary is small potatoes.  I certainly hope  he is right and they spend themselves into oblivion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can understand that when you are attracting someone, your agreement with them might have some clauses that are in the other parties favor. But fast forward, they are working for you, and you’re giving them an extension and raise. it would be time to remove the unfavorable clauses.

From reading others analysis on the contract, Jimbo has about 80m left on the contract. If they fire him, he’s gets 25% immediately and the rest in annual installments thru 2031. I would think A&M could find a way to scrape together 20m at the end of the season. Of course at that point they don’t have a coach, who will want close to Jimbo money.

That’s always been my take and was upthread as well. Plenty of 20M buyouts have been done. At that point in time it’s just an extra 9M a year out of a 200M budget. That’s not awesome or ideal but it doesn’t seem as big a deal as it’s been presented on here and elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s always been my take and was upthread as well. Plenty of 20M buyouts have been done. At that point in time it’s just an extra 9M a year out of a 200M budget. That’s not awesome or ideal but it doesn’t seem as big a deal as it’s been presented on here and elsewhere. 

It's not really about the dollars per year as the main obstacle. It's having to admit they fucked up, that's why they'll never do it.

Talking heads and articles making fun of them for months/years is a far bigger concern than not winning football games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's not really about the dollars per year as the main obstacle. It's having to admit they fucked up, that's why they'll never do it.

Talking heads and articles making fun of them for months/years is a far bigger concern than not winning football games. 

They never admit when they fuvk up, they can't even own a loss. They will try to bury Jimbo under a mound of shit - throw him under the bus. Big time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

9M is some multiple of their recruiting bags budget.  I think you're way underselling it

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

9M is some multiple of their recruiting bags budget.  I think you're way underselling it

I’m not underselling it I don’t think. I admit it would be unpleasant for them. I just think the people who say that they are trapped with him forever (or for 5 years) bc of the buyout are overselling it. It won’t be great for them but it is doable. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can understand that when you are attracting someone, your agreement with them might have some clauses that are in the other parties favor. But fast forward, they are working for you, and you’re giving them an extension and raise. it would be time to remove the unfavorable clauses.

From reading others analysis on the contract, Jimbo has about 80m left on the contract. If they fire him, he’s gets 25% immediately and the rest in annual installments thru 2031. I would think A&M could find a way to scrape together 20m at the end of the season. Of course at that point they don’t have a coach, who will want close to Jimbo money.

I feel you are having the same thought as I have had.  Playing devils advocate but really trying to have people tell us what we want to hear…… they are fucking stuck with Jimbo for the next 9 years.  

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Will be in Houston next weekend. Aggy BIL's garage setup is legit with two TVs and sports bar vibe. Gonna be wild watching the Texas - TCU game and aggy - Auburn game simultaneously next to the BIL. A Texas win and aggy loss while drinking his bourbon might be too much emoji869.png

Just tell BIL that the loss is his fault, because he didn't squeeze hard enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I feel you are having the same thought as I have had.  Playing devils advocate but really trying to have people tell us what we want to hear…… they are fucking stuck with Jimbo for the next 9 years.  

Yep. If/when Aggie leaders decide Jimbo is done, he’s gone. They’re not going to keep him around for close to a decade because of the money involved. They can afford to make the initial payment and the remainder is just absorbed into the annual budget. Most likely they would negotiate a faster payout schedule with a lower amount.

but as others have stated, a sticking point could be how the decision makers feel that buyout would impact their job. But also keeping Jimbo around, impacts their job security.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes it was.

If we had somebody who could catch punts we would have won about three more games. What a weird fucking team that 2010 group was.

Not sure if it's less embarrassing or more embarrassing that we had played for the NC the season before. I'm going to go with less.

Edited by Xminus6

The 90m is already spent.  They already spent that money.  The questions are:

1.  Can they tolerate him staying?

2.  Can they get some discount?

3.  What kind of coach do they want/need, can they afford that person and are they available.

Pretty sure they can’t get out of the 90 for free but maybe a discount.  

Question - does that contract have a forum/venue/choice of law provision?  I’m guessing jimbo doesn’t want to litigate any contract disputes in Bryan County Court at Law number 17.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, nnm said:

If Weigman did have a concussion, was forced back in, and transfers out, they may well try to use that for a “for cause” termination. But it’s gonna get hella messy if they do. Jimbo’ll burn the place down. It may get them a discount on the buyout on termination though. 

Washington fired Jimmy Lake during the season, in only his second year, the proximate cause being his going Woody Hayes/Frank Kush on a player on the sideline during a game. Certainly that was grounds for firing with cause (turned out there were other reasons as well). The UW AD still decided to negotiate a buyout rather than get into that entire mess, which probably made more sense in the long run - cut the ties ASAP and both sides move on.

On the other hand, Texas A&M.

• Hook 'Em 2

Factoring in Jimbo's remaining salary, the buyout of all the assistant coaches, the new HC salary, and all his new assistant coaches salaries, it's going to cost about $120-140M for aggy to make Jimbo to go away. 
They do not have that kind of money. They are stuck with him probably for the life of this contract.

The new head coach would not be some OC from a P5 school if they fired him for 85 million. It would have to be a splash hire and if they got that person, they would to also pay out that contract. I’m think 150 million is their best outcome. So, won’t happen.

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

$10 an hour would be fine for that egomaniac.

I think the answer is they try to figure out how to get someone “super top notch” but on the sale rack.  Yes Briles has baggage but is it the kind of baggage that dq’s him in this situation?  Maybe not.

23 minutes ago, nnm said:

If Weigman did have a concussion, was forced back in, and transfers out, they may well try to use that for a “for cause” termination.

But it’s gonna get hella messy if they do. Jimbo’ll burn the place down. It may get them a discount on the buyout on termination though.

The potential concussion for-cause scenario, with a threat of using sovereign immunity (ala Leach) is an interesting one.

+++

The big problem with it is that using sovereign immunity (which may well hold up) will absolutely kill their ability to attract another high profile corch. If candidate X (let’s call him Burban) .......

decouple whatever comes after and stay with the CW fLOU scenario...... jimbo could face a civil suit from the weigman family, and the most incriminating evidence is the flippant boomhauer-speak dismissal of the question in his postpresser.  sharpe is dull, but someone close to him has to see this embarassment as an opportunity because it far exceeds the trumped-up BS the james family used to get leach fired as retribution for not playing their pussy jag son.   the parallels should be reviewed because we all remember CJK5H but the actual events happened 15 years ago:

+++

from texas monthly:

On December 30, 2009, three days before Texas Tech was to play in the Alamo Bowl, the university fired its popular head football coach, Mike Leach. The stated reason: He had mistreated an injured player and then refused, in effect, to admit that he had done anything wrong. The news shocked Red Raiders fans, not just because they were losing their beloved coach but because, right up until the moment he had been suspended and, two days later, fired, there was no hint of trouble. To them he was the winningest football coach in the history of the school, a man whose team routinely led the nation in offense and in 2008 made an electrifying run at a national championship. He had recently signed a generous five-year contract. Leach’s program was, moreover, squeaky-clean. His players had the highest graduation rate of any public university in the country and the eighth-highest of any Division I college. Leach seemed the antithesis of an abusive coach. He was a law school graduate who surfed and studied history and impressed recruits by doing card tricks and telling pirate stories. He had put Lubbock on the map in a way no one, not even Buddy Holly, ever had.

And then, suddenly, he was gone. That alone would have been enough to send die-hard Tech fans into a frenzy. But Leach’s downfall seemed to have been engineered by a single person: Craig James, a prominent ESPN commentator who had been a football star at Southern Methodist University and with the New England Patriots. Eleven days before Leach was fired, James had complained to university officials that the coach had punished his son Adam, a sophomore receiver, after Adam had reported suffering a concussion.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Hypo - aggy wants to hire Briles (senior Briles, not one of the junior Briles).  Will 2m get it?

I think that maybe the best case option for them.  Hire someone so tainted by something off the field that they are willing to take the pennies on the dollar to get another shot.  Or some alumini working could take it cheap because of his love for school.  Would Aaron Glenn or Dan Campbell take being paid well below market rate?    Then they don't have to pay two coaches after they fire Jimbo.  Ogre makes sense as well, but would think that he would cost more which may be prohibitive.    

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Since 2010..

Oh shit that was us, wasn’t it?

At least we still reaved some Nebraska souls for the final time ever.

The thing we need to figure out is "-- Three of the last five preseason top-6 teams to finish unranked are Jimbo teams."

As far as I know he finished ranked every season at FSU except 2017 when the gomers came calling but he couldn't have been top 6 preseason that year.

So FSU coordinator 2008-09 and LSU coordinator 2000-06 none of those stick out.  Curious what caused mandel to throw that last bit in.

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Was 2010 Mack?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas/

Yes 5 to UR

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

decouple whatever comes after and stay with the CW fLOU scenario...... jimbo could face a civil suit from the weigman family, and the most incriminating evidence is the flippant boomhauer-speak dismissal of the question in his postpresser.  sharpe is dull, but someone close to him has to see this embarassment as an opportunity because it far exceeds the trumped-up BS the james family used to get leach fired as retribution for not playing their pussy jag son.   the parallels should be reviewed because we all remember CJK5H but the actual events happened 15 years ago:

+++

from texas monthly:

On December 30, 2009, three days before Texas Tech was to play in the Alamo Bowl, the university fired its popular head football coach, Mike Leach. The stated reason: He had mistreated an injured player and then refused, in effect, to admit that he had done anything wrong. The news shocked Red Raiders fans, not just because they were losing their beloved coach but because, right up until the moment he had been suspended and, two days later, fired, there was no hint of trouble. To them he was the winningest football coach in the history of the school, a man whose team routinely led the nation in offense and in 2008 made an electrifying run at a national championship. He had recently signed a generous five-year contract. Leach’s program was, moreover, squeaky-clean. His players had the highest graduation rate of any public university in the country and the eighth-highest of any Division I college. Leach seemed the antithesis of an abusive coach. He was a law school graduate who surfed and studied history and impressed recruits by doing card tricks and telling pirate stories. He had put Lubbock on the map in a way no one, not even Buddy Holly, ever had.

And then, suddenly, he was gone. That alone would have been enough to send die-hard Tech fans into a frenzy. But Leach’s downfall seemed to have been engineered by a single person: Craig James, a prominent ESPN commentator who had been a football star at Southern Methodist University and with the New England Patriots. Eleven days before Leach was fired, James had complained to university officials that the coach had punished his son Adam, a sophomore receiver, after Adam had reported suffering a concussion.

2 minutes ago, deft said:

This is an interesting telling of the story. It seems incomplete since it doesn’t mention anything about the 5 hookers that Craig James killed.

I consider the entire sordid incident a net zero wash to Texas (and the entire rest of the college football watching kingdom)

on 1 hand we lost the greatest Aggy troll in history.

on the other hand we, and the entire remainder of the college football watching world were freed of a world in which Craing James had anything to do with CFB.  Hes been perma banned for his selfish acts and bullshit views. 

so we lose Leech in the Big 12, but we also lose CJK5H from having anything to do with our favorite sport.... great. fuck him 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. If/when Aggie leaders decide Jimbo is done, he’s gone. They’re not going to keep him around for close to a decade because of the money involved.

Jimbo won a national champeenship, ya stupid sip!  Therefore it's only a matter of time before he resrects the sleeping giant and starts winning 10 games on a regular basis like we used to do that one year.  You sound scared.  Obsession noted.

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

So…aggy needs to find a way to gracefully get out of an $80M contract without making it look like a complete clusterfuck….that’s funny, just saying it.

21 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

At least we still reaved some Nebraska souls for the final time ever.

The thing we need to figure out is "-- Three of the last five preseason top-6 teams to finish unranked are Jimbo teams."

As far as I know he finished ranked every season at FSU except 2017 when the gomers came calling but he couldn't have been top 6 preseason that year.

So FSU coordinator 2008-09 and LSU coordinator 2000-06 none of those stick out.  Curious what caused mandel to throw that last bit in.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas/

Yes 5 to UR

The 5.  Us in 2010

Jimbo at fsu, this year and last.  Kiffen at usc in 12

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

10m to not show up for your job?  I’m in.

You know what's better than $10m/yr to not show up for your job?  An $86m check to walk away today and be done with that crap forever.  And go get a different job at another place if he wants to keep coaching.  

Jimbo can't be having a good time right now.  He could try to work his way out of it over time for $9m year if he is really invested in the program (doubtful).  Nobody likes to get fired, but walking papers with $86m in hand has to be the path Jimbo's wants right now.  He'd probably do A&M a solid and leave for $80m just to get the hell out of there.  In my opinion, he's absolutely trying to get fired at this point.  If I was trying my hardest to get fired from a coaching job, I don't think I could do a better job of it than Jimbo is right now.  All I hear in that press conference babble is "fuck you, buy me out if you want me to stop destroying your program".  Maybe he is just that bad at his job, but I suspect he may be just smart enough to be pushing buttons to get out of there ASAP with a big check.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Another nuance to this that I haven't seen is the bagman network that Jimbo has.  Remember, as Jimbo himself confirmed, aggy recruiting is NOT due to NIL.  If they fire Jimbo, the bagman network goes with him.  With no NIL, and no bagmen, their recruiting looks like.....  well, this year minus Hicks and Hill.