• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How can A&M not fire Jimbo? I know the answer is $80m or whatever but do we know if A&M has to escalate all of those payments as soon as they fire him? Just pay him to sit in an empty office.

and odds are that Jimbo would want to coach again so he will eventually seek to get out of the contract.

Have you been around? Fired coaches take a job at 50k and let the prior contract pay their real salary.

4 hours ago, hornian said:

I also think Jimbo is doing a great job and don’t want him bought out. 

By the start of next season, 5-7 or 4-8 will be remembered as being 8-4, with an almost win against Alabama, complete domination of SC, AR, both Mississippi schools, Auburn and equal to LSU yet slightly better.

A play or two away from making the playoffs, which is a guaranteed Championship and the return of aggy ruling college football for the next decade or two, like they used to. 

In Jimbo we trust... Unless we find the money to shitcan Jimbo after the season.... Either way, same coach-new coach, aggy delusion will not be shaken.

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

But he has no duty to mitigate with his next job. He can make whatever he wants as a bonus to the aggy pay. 

These contracts have offset language that reduces a previous employer's obligation for any salary a coach would earn at his next school. His new salary would not be incremental to the ex-coach unless his previous school committed contractual malpractice. 

So I think you're right. Aggy probably doesn't have offset language and he has no duty to mitigate.

How can A&M not fire Jimbo? I know the answer is $80m or whatever but do we know if A&M has to escalate all of those payments as soon as they fire him? Just pay him to sit in an empty office.
and odds are that Jimbo would want to coach again so he will eventually seek to get out of the contract.
Yep. Can't afford $95 million right now. Don't fire him. Reassign him to an assistant athletic director role and keep paying him his $9.5M salary on the current schedule even if you have to do it for ten years. Easier to make the monthly payments than pay the lump sum, especially when you're going to have to pay for a replacement at the same time. Fire the rest of the staff (hopefully they don't have long guaranteed contracts).

Get a new coach - someone younger and cheaper with a decent track record to come in for 2-3 years at $3.5M or so. If they pan out, bump the pay. If not, then go after the big name once the national impression of Jimbo's aggys has faded.

And they can hope Jimbo decides to quit and forfeit the rest of his pay. Make him the TexAgs liaison. That should do it. Or move his desk to the basement and take away his red stapler. Just keep him away from matches.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Yep. Can't afford $95 million right now. Don't fire him. Reassign him to an assistant athletic director role and keep paying him his $9.5M salary on the current schedule even if you have to do it for ten years. Easier to make the monthly payments than pay the lump sum, especially when you're going to have to pay for a replacement at the same time. Fire the rest of the staff (hopefully they don't have long guaranteed contracts).

I think his contract stipulates he must be the Head Football Coach. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Get a new coach - someone younger and cheaper with a decent track record to come in for 2-3 years at $3.5M or so. If they pan out, bump the pay. If not, then go after the big name once the national impression of Jimbo's aggys has faded.

And they can hope Jimbo decides to quit and forfeit the rest of his pay. Make him the TexAgs liaison. That should do it. Or move his desk to the basement and take away his red stapler. Just keep him away from matches.

Factoring in Jimbo's remaining salary, the buyout of all the assistant coaches, the new HC salary, and all his new assistant coaches salaries, it's going to cost about $120-140M for aggy to make Jimbo to go away. 

They do not have that kind of money. They are stuck with him probably for the life of this contract.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xminus6 said:

I think his contract stipulates he must be the Head Football Coach. 

I dont really understand that provision.

It seems to me that, if they want to make him 3rd assistant to the AD In Charge of don’t come anywhere near the football program, but still pay him, he should be perfectly happy.  10m to not show up for your job?  I’m in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Factoring in Jimbo's remaining salary, the buyout of all the assistant coaches, the new HC salary, and all his new assistant coaches salaries, it's going to cost about $120-140M for aggy to make Jimbo to go away. 

They do not have that kind of money. They are stuck with him probably for the life of this contract.

Unless, well , certain unfortunate events occur…

It seems to me that, if they want to make him 3rd assistant to the AD In Charge of don’t come anywhere near the football program, but still pay him, he should be perfectly happy.  10m to not show up for your job?  I’m in.
Egos

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Sounds like a 100-Year Decision!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Smax said:
7 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Egos

I’m guessing it was a bet between his agent and his agent friends.

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

One can only hope. 

I can understand that when you are attracting someone, your agreement with them might have some clauses that are in the other parties favor. But fast forward, they are working for you, and you’re giving them an extension and raise. it would be time to remove the unfavorable clauses.

From reading others analysis on the contract, Jimbo has about 80m left on the contract. If they fire him, he’s gets 25% immediately and the rest in annual installments thru 2031. I would think A&M could find a way to scrape together 20m at the end of the season. Of course at that point they don’t have a coach, who will want close to Jimbo money.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can understand that when you are attracting someone, your agreement with them might have some clauses that are in the other parties favor. But fast forward, they are working for you, and you’re giving them an extension and raise. it would be time to remove the unfavorable clauses.

From reading others analysis on the contract, Jimbo has about 80m left on the contract. If they fire him, he’s gets 25% immediately and the rest in annual installments thru 2031. I would think A&M could find a way to scrape together 20m at the end of the season. Of course at that point they don’t have a coach, who will want close to Jimbo money.

They could easily find someone who would take the job for $2M per year. The question is whether their ego would allow them to hire that type of coach.

But you're not buying out Jimbo. You continue to pay him to sit in an office and watch SpongeBob all day.

It's like having an expensive car that doesn't work and can't be fixed but you owe a bunch on it still. You can pay off the entire loan and then go buy another, but that means you're paying for two entire cars at once which is hard to do. So you just keep making the monthly payments on the broken one, then lease payments on the new one. Much easier to afford two monthly payments then to pay off both in full.

I think Conner realizes he's an incredible part of the immediate future in Aggieland but I also think it's common sense in 2022 to understand that there are outside influences that you'll have to fight off to keep gifted young players like him and several who look like future stars in the freshman class. It's tougher to fight that battle for any program that's losing or has lost momentum. I'm just spitting facts here.

And I also think Weigman stays and is the guy who leads the Aggies out of this along with a new OC. It's just not going to happen to the point that everyone breathes a big sigh of relief for another few weeks, unfortunately

Billy Liucci thinks Weigman is exploring a transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Since Jimbo is making 8m, the next guy will demand at least 6. The only reason they won’t require 8 is that they won’t have a NC on their resume. Unless it’s Orgeron, who will demand Jimbo money.

Orgeron at aggy?  Absolutely perfect in so many ways 😜

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1