Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

6 hours ago, Updawg said:

Back in the day I used to love trolling texags asking what channel the game would be on. It was amazing how many games they had that were not shown.

4 hours ago, Updawg said:

It was pretty sad back then. Even good matchups they had wouldn’t be shown over a shittier game. I kind of felt sad for them but it was fun to troll

Username checks out. 

1 hour ago, blutow said:

I keep hearing this and it certainly makes it a challenge, but the $85 million is already committed.  It's a sunk cost that is budgeted, it's just a matter of timing on the payout.  "only" 25% has to be paid upon firing and then annual installments for the balance (at least that's what I've read).  Sure, it's tough to pay 25% up front, but they would have a way to raise the funds for the buyout and pay that portion back (plus interest) over time.   The decision is really whether they are willing to pay 2 coaches for the next 9 years.  Assuming they found a new coach at around $5m/yr, the incremental cost of firing Jimbo and bringing in someone new would be around $6m (I'm assuming around $1m year for interest on the payout).  It's an risky bet either way.  If you don't fire him soon, it might result in years of decline costing the program a lot more than the $6m/yr incremental to bring in someone new.  But if the new guy doesn't work out (50/50 at best), you'll be paying 3 coaches when you need to bring in the next savior.    

The Jimbo contract (as I understand it) is really next level stupid on A&M's part.  The 10 year guarantee is nuts to begin with, but having to pay such a big chunk the day they fire him with no offset if he takes another job is just mind bending stupidity.  He can make significantly more $ over the next 9 years by getting fired now and sitting on the beach than he would if he stayed (because he can invest the buyout $).  If he gets another job, he get's that $ as well.  He's leaving millions on the table by not getting fired as soon as possible.  Based on his last couple press conferences, I can't believe he's trying to keep his job at this point.         

Maybe that’s what he’s doing?

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I was talking with my brother today and questioned, is the level of fucked aggy is currently completely unprecedented?

Not only is Jimbo crashing and burning in embarrassing public fashion in year 5, their insane contract makes him untouchable, the transfer portal means his past recruiting successes can be wiped out immediately, their best players are quitting midseason, legitimate NIL has all but eliminated the advantages of their bag game leaving them with an unimaginably poor recruiting class for 23, no transfer portal candidate with other options is going to be excited to jump to a program where the current roster is fleeing, and to top it all off, they've somehow managed to embarrass themselves extremely publicly week after week this season with shit like the midnight yell finally seeming to hit mainstream attention.

It is genuinely hard to imagine another program that has been as fucked in every direction possible as aggy is right now.  I can't possibly see a way for them to pull out of this in the short term, and that includes if they actually found a way to pay Jimbo's buyout.

They welcomed him to bcs with a red carpet and he's going to burn the entire place to the ground before he leaves.

Miami (The U, not the one in Ohio) compares to aggy right now in terms of we-are-so-fucked right now (in my opinion). Look at where they were from the early 80s to the early 2000s...and look where they have been basically ever since they joined the ACC.

Perhaps Nebraska is also comparable to aggy right now in the we-are-fucked-and-it-will-take-a-while-to-get-unfucked-if-it-ever-gets-unfucked department.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Xminus6 said:

Fun fact: Nobody has ever watched aggy win a football national championship on a color TV. They weren’t readily available to buy until five years after their last championship. 

This is incorrect. A&M won its only national championship in 1939.  Color TV was invented in 1950, 11 years after that, but weren't readily available to buy until 1955, 16 years later.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Im thinking if they try to jettison the hobbit, he will in turn try to burn it down.
Nawh, NDA would be part of an agreement he signs to get every penny he's owed, even if stretched out over a few more years than originally agreed.

Edit- forgot we're talking about aggy here, they would never do something that smart lol

On 11/7/2022 at 11:45 PM, ScottS said:

Miami (The U, not the one in Ohio) compares to aggy right now in terms of we-are-so-fucked right now (in my opinion). Look at where they were from the early 80s to the early 2000s...and look where they have been basically ever since they joined the ACC.

Perhaps Nebraska is also comparable to aggy right now in the we-are-fucked-and-it-will-take-a-while-to-get-unfucked-if-it-ever-gets-unfucked department.

Baylor 2016 is the closest analogy for me. When the rape stuff came out and they fired everyone, it was a massive free-fall of decommitments, exits, and complete demoralization of a fan base. Despite that there were the despicable #CAB sycophants who blamed everything on the BOMC and CAB haters.  That whole sanctimonious fan base deserves to rot in hell. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

This is incorrect. A&M won its only national championship in 1939.  Color TV was invented in 1950, 11 years after that, but weren't readily available to buy until 1955, 16 years later.

Ok, how about this- when the Ags win their NC, the US flag had 48 stars and wouldn’t have 50 for 20 more years. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BarthHollamew said:

The only thing that would make this better (besides Hill signing with Texas)  is an NCAA investigation exposing gross recruiting violations.  

I would actually rather them be forced to sit and wallow in their own misery. An outside investigation would allow them to reclaim the role of the victim with the NCAA (and of course the dern sips) doing everything they can to hold down the sleeping giant. Right now they have no one to blame but themselves, which is perfect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ScottS said:

I don't disagree that Nebraska and Miami are fucked, but they feel different.

Unlike those programs, aggy hasn't slowly faded from national relevance (mostly because they never had any).

The difference to me is that this is a program who loudly and publicly declared they were going to buy their way to championships both through recruiting and coaching hires.  As annoying as it was to watch, I had to admit they were following the Georgia model and we've seen where that leads.  I don't think Jimbo is a great coach, but fucking Mack Brown and Greg Davis won it all with the right recruits.

The fact that in the middle of this buy their way to victory campaign the entire thing has very suddenly collapsed is almost hard to explain.  Only aggy could put so much on the line and lose it all so quickly with no path to recovery.  They're a blackjack player who screamed for everyone to come watch them place a huge bet, only to lose it in all 15 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I would actually rather them be forced to sit and wallow in their own misery. An outside investigation would allow them to reclaim the role of the victim with the NCAA (and of course the dern sips) doing everything they can to hold down the sleeping giant. Right now they have no one to blame but themselves, which is perfect.

If they had half a brain, they'd self incriminate and use the leaked "scandal" as the trigger to extricate themselves from Jiimbo.

But they don't

And they won't

17 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

but fucking Mack Brown and Greg Davis won it all with the right recruits.

Mack & GD at least changed their style of play.  He pissed me off to no end towards the end of his tenure, but earlier on he adapted his offense multiple times to suit the players and style of play.  Anyone remember the power-I?  The style of play with Applewhite, then the zone read with Vince, then the shift back with Colt?

All I'm saying is the coaches adapted.  Fisher is so dug in he can't see the forest for the trees.  He's running up and down the sidelines with a Cheesecake Factory menu wondering why nothing is working.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Billy's latest analysis. His prose is such a beating. 

Spoiler

Cover Story: Crucial decisions on horizon for Fisher & Co.

By Billy Liucci
November 7, 2022

Stood toe to toe with then No. 1 Alabama until the final snap in Tuscaloosa. Showed real fight in battling back from down 17-0 on the road against South Carolina. Had the ball with a chance to beat an Ole Miss team currently residing in the top ten a week ago in a game during which the future of the offense was on display. Then, Saturday, the offense puts together by far its best half of football of the season, and a flu/injury-ravaged team shows plenty of resolve in front of the home fans.

Unfortunately, what I just described are four conference losses (and five in a row, overall).

For the first time since 1980, the Ags have dropped five straight games. They're sitting at 3-6 overall and are in danger of not qualifying for a bowl for the first time since year one under Mike Sherman back in 2008, and a 1-7 SEC record is very much on the table.
This wasn't supposed to be the season in which we would spend each week clinging to silver linings. Yet here were are, and this week might be the most disheartening of a season that long ago fell off the rails.

Look, what we saw Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies put on the field against Florida was essentially a M.A.S.H. unit and quite possibly as young a college football team as you're ever going to see. I'm pretty sure that A&M was without more than half of what the expected two-deep looked like entering the season or even as recently as four games ago. The battle of attrition this year has been unprecedented and reached epidemic (pun intended) proportions this week after the Aggie locker room was hit by a nasty flu outbreak. When it rains, it really does pour, and a perfect example of how tough the 2022 season has been for Fisher and the Ags is true freshman Conner Weigman looking absolutely brilliant in his first career start only to fall ill, miss the entire week and subsequently a very winnable SEC home game against Florida. Instead of building on perhaps the most encouraging quarterback performance seen in Aggieland in nearly a decade, Weigman was forced to sit it out, and Haynes King was thrust back into action despite nursing multiple injuries.

0174975-iyxg-240x135.jpg

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

With Conner Weigman sidelined with the flu, Haynes King returned to the starting lineup for the Maroon & White. It was that kind of Saturday for the Aggies, who stormed out of the gates offensively and went into the locker room with a 24-20 halftime lead before being outscored 21-0 the rest of the way. But if we're speaking the truth here, the reality is it has been that kind of season for Fisher and the Maroon & White, dating back to Appalachian State... Long before injuries could be cited as the primary factor in the Ags not getting it done.

The reality is that this year's Texas A&M football team simply isn't very good. In fact, this team is flat-out bad... One of the bottom four or five in the Southeastern Conference, if we're going off of actual resumes and head-to-heads.
We’re nine games into a 12-game season, and the Ags' three wins have come against Sam Houston, a sub-.500 Miami team sporting lopsided losses to Florida State, Duke and Middle Tennessee and an Arkansas squad that just dropped a home game to Liberty. Whether it's injuries, illness, inconsistency or ineptitude, if it could go wrong for the Aggies in Fisher's fifth season, it has.

The Aggies lost on Saturday in part because, for the second straight week, an opposing staff outmaneuvered the A&M brain trust at halftime. Still, the biggest reason the home team fell to Florida was the fact (yes, I said fact) that the Ags were playing without well over a dozen starters and/or key contributors. The Ags were worn down — and eventually worn out — by Florida and ended up losing a one-sided decision for just the second time this season. The other, at Mississippi State in early October, had everything to do with turnovers and unforced errors on the Aggies' part. The problem is that neither Florida nor Mississippi State are good football teams. They're average by any SEC metric... and South Carolina and 5-4 Appalachian State are something worse than that.

Entering the season, the feeling in this corner was that the Aggies were over-ranked at No. 6. Fisher's squad was simply too inexperienced along the defensive front and at quarterback and very light at linebacker. However, there was certainly enough there for A&M to field what should probably have been a top-15 team during the first half of the season and one that was playing top-10 football throughout the second half. Forget for a moment all of the reasons why they're not, and think for a second about the opportunity the program missed this fall because the Ags have fallen so far short of the mark.

The reality is that this year's Texas A&M football team simply isn't very good. In fact, this team is flat-out bad... One of the bottom four or five in the Southeastern Conference, if we're going off of actual resumes and head-to-heads.
In taking a look at the entire schedule, it's safe to say that only LSU and Ole Miss turned out to be better than expected, while teams like Miami, Arkansas, Mississippi State and even Alabama all fell well short of preseason hype. Not quite as short as our Aggies did, unfortunately, but you get the point.

Looking back on the way the schedule played out and how those games went, a good but not great A&M team probably runs the table during the first half when you factor in how things played out in Tuscaloosa as the Tide was forced to play backup quarterback Jalen Milroe. Since that game, the Ags took Ole Miss down to the final minute in Weigman's first-ever start, and South Carolina, Florida and Auburn are all unranked for a reason.

That's the long way of saying had this year's Aggies even come close to living up to the preseason billing, they're probably playing Georgia for the SEC title in a few weeks. Trust me, I understand how wild that statement reads today. However, in year five under Fisher and with what looked to everyone in college football (and I'm talking even most of those in the national media) like a very good mix of experience and tremendous young talent, the West was there for the taking. More so than at any point in A&M's 11 years in the league.

For a litany of reasons — most of which were controllable within Bright and on the field and some that certainly weren't (particularly of late) — the Aggies were unable to take advantage. But the real reason for pointing this out nine games in, following a one-sided loss to a four-loss Florida team, isn't to state the obvious.
It's timely this week, perhaps more so than ever, because of what transpired around the country on Saturday. I'm not talking about the Gators pulling away in the second half. I'm referencing what went down in places like Baton Rouge, Manhattan, South Bend and Fort Worth, among other places.

Fisher and the Aggies losing momentum in such stunning fashion is one thing, but A&M's freefall coinciding with other coaches and programs making big moves in the region and around the Southeastern Conference is another altogether.
It's vitally important that Fisher, his staff and the powers that be in Aggieland realize and fully grasp exactly how unstable the current terrain is for an outfit that was considered Alabama's greatest threat as recently as two months ago. In today's volatile college football climate, the state and trajectory of any program can change in the blink of an eye.

0175119-tjje-240x135.jpg

Stephen Lew-USA TODAY Sports

Brian Kelly is 7-2 in year one at LSU and just knocked off Alabama in OT, 32-31.
Take a look around.

In year one under Brian Kelly, an LSU team that suited up something like 38 players in last year's bowl game just knocked off Alabama and is a near shoo-in to do something A&M hasn't done (play in an SEC title game). With a transfer quarterback leading the charge, excitement is off the charts in Baton Rouge, and playing in Purple & Gold is looking like a very attractive destination for Texas prospects. And that, my friends, is very much an apples-to-apples comparison when you consider the Ags and Bayou Bengals compete in the same division.

Down the road in Austin, the folks in Burnt Orange are once again putting the cart ahead of the horse, but Steve Sarkisian's Horns are 6-3 and could end up claiming a Big 12 title. They could also finish with five regular-season losses, but the reality is Texas won a top-15 road game on the same day the Ags were losing at home by three scores to an unranked Florida team and are set to host College GameDay for the second time this season. It remains to be seen what the Longhorns achieve this season, but the arrow is certainly pointing up. Texas has momentum when A&M clearly does not, and that's never a good thing.

Of course, the reason GameDay is returning has to do with the fact that the Horns are squaring off against undefeated No. 4 TCU. In year one under Sonny Dykes, the Horned Frogs have caught fire and are positioned to crash the four-team playoff field. In year one.

Another “year one” accomplishment of note occurred in South Bend on Saturday night when Marcus Freeman's Fighting Irish knocked off previously unbeaten Clemson. Why is Notre Dame relevant to this discussion, you ask? Because on the same day the Aggies were shocked at home by an overwhelming Sun Belt underdog, so were the Irish, who somehow managed to right the ship enough to take down the then-fourth-ranked Tigers in front of Touchdown Jesus.

What Kelly, Dykes and Freeman are doing in year one and even what Josh Heupel is doing in Knoxville in year two (not to mention the fact that the Ags have fallen in recent weeks to first-year Florida boss Billy Napier and second-year head man Shane Beamer at South Carolina) makes what's transpired in College Station this fall exponentially more frustrating.

However, more important than that is the fact that some of the aforementioned programs will build on their current momentum and become very real players in the conference and region in the immediate future. If, say, for example, the Vols, Horns and Bayou Bengals soar, programs like A&M and Oklahoma had better figure things out in a hurry.

0173769-mmay-240x135.jpg

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

On Monday, Fisher said that Conner Weigman will be the Aggies’ starter on Saturday at Auburn.
As far as Fisher and the Aggies go, any hope for something to be excited about between now and the season's end probably rests with Weigman and the defense getting some key players back. As stated previously, this team hasn't been good all season, but recent attrition has made it virtually impossible to show the hoped-for steady improvement. What Jimbo cannot do is assume that Weigman emerging as the future at quarterback and the team simply getting healthy and more experienced is enough.

That's not even in the ballpark when it comes to what it's going to take.
The reality is that the Ags have no momentum on the field and even less on the recruiting front.

Five-star linebacker Anthony Hill‍ — probably the single-most important player in the 2023 cycle for the Ags — decommitted on Monday after spending the entire weekend in College Station and will likely land in Austin (this coming after the Aggies lost five-star linebacker and potential SEC Freshman of the Year Harold Perkins in '22), and there are rumblings that A&M's other five-star commit is set to open things up, as well.
Wins over Auburn and UMass aren't moving the needle, and even a home win over LSU to end the regular season would merely qualify as bittersweet.

What matters far more at this point in the season is Fisher deciding he's seen enough and embracing change. Texas A&M and the fifth-year head coach are locked into a long-term marriage due to an unprecedented contract. Rather than rail against Jimbo, the powers-that-be are letting him know they're willing to do whatever it takes to get things back on track and then some. I'm fully expecting Fisher to welcome the opportunity to free himself up to do more in terms of presiding over the program day-to-day (and especially on gamedays) and making a significant hire on offense. That's not the only change we'll see over the next few weeks, but it would certainly be the biggest and, in my opinion, the most impactful. A hunting man himself, Jimbo is also aware of the fact that poachers from around the country have his talented young players in their sights. As such, keeping the 2022 class together might be more important than anything the Aggies do on the recruiting front. That's especially true with the transfer portal available. A mass exodus would make it very difficult to envision Fisher and the Ags quickly digging out of their current hole.

Then again, if Jimbo makes the right moves between now and, let's just call it, Jan, 1, the talent on hand is more than good enough for an immediate reversal of fortune. Snag the right OC and keep Weigman, and the Aggies could enter next season positioned better than at any point during the current head coach's tenure.

Fisher was able to get out of Tallahassee before the walls came crumbling down at Florida State, but he's in it for the long haul this time around. Thing is, there's a lifeline waiting if he chooses to take hold. What Jimbo decides to do over the next six weeks or so is going to ultimately define not only his tenure in Aggieland but also the short-term future of A&M football.

From where I sit — and based on what I see happening all around the Aggies in the state and conference — the upcoming stretch represents Jimbo's last best chance to get it right.

Billy uses the phrase "the reality is"  FIVE TIMES.  That's right. the man who told us that Jimbo Fisher was a bargain at 90 million guaranteed dollars is now telling us what reality is.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Ok, how about this- when the Ags win their NC, the US flag had 48 stars and wouldn’t have 50 for 20 more years. 

I still think the best stat is that their MNC over Tulane is closer to Abraham Lincoln's House Divided speech on June 16, 1858 before the sport was even invented than the MNC is to today.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Hide contents

By Billy Liucci
November 7, 2022

Stood toe to toe with then No. 1 Alabama until the final snap in Tuscaloosa. Showed real fight in battling back from down 17-0 on the road against South Carolina. Had the ball with a chance to beat an Ole Miss team currently residing in the top ten a week ago in a game during which the future of the offense was on display. Then, Saturday, the offense puts together by far its best half of football of the season, and a flu/injury-ravaged team shows plenty of resolve in front of the home fans.

Unfortunately, what I just described are four conference losses (and five in a row, overall).

For the first time since 1980, the Ags have dropped five straight games. They're sitting at 3-6 overall and are in danger of not qualifying for a bowl for the first time since year one under Mike Sherman back in 2008, and a 1-7 SEC record is very much on the table.
This wasn't supposed to be the season in which we would spend each week clinging to silver linings. Yet here were are, and this week might be the most disheartening of a season that long ago fell off the rails.

Look, what we saw Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies put on the field against Florida was essentially a M.A.S.H. unit and quite possibly as young a college football team as you're ever going to see. I'm pretty sure that A&M was without more than half of what the expected two-deep looked like entering the season or even as recently as four games ago. The battle of attrition this year has been unprecedented and reached epidemic (pun intended) proportions this week after the Aggie locker room was hit by a nasty flu outbreak. When it rains, it really does pour, and a perfect example of how tough the 2022 season has been for Fisher and the Ags is true freshman Conner Weigman looking absolutely brilliant in his first career start only to fall ill, miss the entire week and subsequently a very winnable SEC home game against Florida. Instead of building on perhaps the most encouraging quarterback performance seen in Aggieland in nearly a decade, Weigman was forced to sit it out, and Haynes King was thrust back into action despite nursing multiple injuries.

0174975-iyxg-240x135.jpg

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

With Conner Weigman sidelined with the flu, Haynes King returned to the starting lineup for the Maroon & White. It was that kind of Saturday for the Aggies, who stormed out of the gates offensively and went into the locker room with a 24-20 halftime lead before being outscored 21-0 the rest of the way. But if we're speaking the truth here, the reality is it has been that kind of season for Fisher and the Maroon & White, dating back to Appalachian State... Long before injuries could be cited as the primary factor in the Ags not getting it done.

We’re nine games into a 12-game season, and the Ags' three wins have come against Sam Houston, a sub-.500 Miami team sporting lopsided losses to Florida State, Duke and Middle Tennessee and an Arkansas squad that just dropped a home game to Liberty. Whether it's injuries, illness, inconsistency or ineptitude, if it could go wrong for the Aggies in Fisher's fifth season, it has.

The Aggies lost on Saturday in part because, for the second straight week, an opposing staff outmaneuvered the A&M brain trust at halftime. Still, the biggest reason the home team fell to Florida was the fact (yes, I said fact) that the Ags were playing without well over a dozen starters and/or key contributors. The Ags were worn down — and eventually worn out — by Florida and ended up losing a one-sided decision for just the second time this season. The other, at Mississippi State in early October, had everything to do with turnovers and unforced errors on the Aggies' part. The problem is that neither Florida nor Mississippi State are good football teams. They're average by any SEC metric... and South Carolina and 5-4 Appalachian State are something worse than that.

Entering the season, the feeling in this corner was that the Aggies were over-ranked at No. 6. Fisher's squad was simply too inexperienced along the defensive front and at quarterback and very light at linebacker. However, there was certainly enough there for A&M to field what should probably have been a top-15 team during the first half of the season and one that was playing top-10 football throughout the second half. Forget for a moment all of the reasons why they're not, and think for a second about the opportunity the program missed this fall because the Ags have fallen so far short of the mark.

In taking a look at the entire schedule, it's safe to say that only LSU and Ole Miss turned out to be better than expected, while teams like Miami, Arkansas, Mississippi State and even Alabama all fell well short of preseason hype. Not quite as short as our Aggies did, unfortunately, but you get the point.

Looking back on the way the schedule played out and how those games went, a good but not great A&M team probably runs the table during the first half when you factor in how things played out in Tuscaloosa as the Tide was forced to play backup quarterback Jalen Milroe. Since that game, the Ags took Ole Miss down to the final minute in Weigman's first-ever start, and South Carolina, Florida and Auburn are all unranked for a reason.

That's the long way of saying had this year's Aggies even come close to living up to the preseason billing, they're probably playing Georgia for the SEC title in a few weeks. Trust me, I understand how wild that statement reads today. However, in year five under Fisher and with what looked to everyone in college football (and I'm talking even most of those in the national media) like a very good mix of experience and tremendous young talent, the West was there for the taking. More so than at any point in A&M's 11 years in the league.

For a litany of reasons — most of which were controllable within Bright and on the field and some that certainly weren't (particularly of late) — the Aggies were unable to take advantage. But the real reason for pointing this out nine games in, following a one-sided loss to a four-loss Florida team, isn't to state the obvious.
It's timely this week, perhaps more so than ever, because of what transpired around the country on Saturday. I'm not talking about the Gators pulling away in the second half. I'm referencing what went down in places like Baton Rouge, Manhattan, South Bend and Fort Worth, among other places.

Fisher and the Aggies losing momentum in such stunning fashion is one thing, but A&M's freefall coinciding with other coaches and programs making big moves in the region and around the Southeastern Conference is another altogether.
It's vitally important that Fisher, his staff and the powers that be in Aggieland realize and fully grasp exactly how unstable the current terrain is for an outfit that was considered Alabama's greatest threat as recently as two months ago. In today's volatile college football climate, the state and trajectory of any program can change in the blink of an eye.

0175119-tjje-240x135.jpg

Brian Kelly is 7-2 in year one at LSU and just knocked off Alabama in OT, 32-31.
Take a look around.

In year one under Brian Kelly, an LSU team that suited up something like 38 players in last year's bowl game just knocked off Alabama and is a near shoo-in to do something A&M hasn't done (play in an SEC title game). With a transfer quarterback leading the charge, excitement is off the charts in Baton Rouge, and playing in Purple & Gold is looking like a very attractive destination for Texas prospects. And that, my friends, is very much an apples-to-apples comparison when you consider the Ags and Bayou Bengals compete in the same division.

Down the road in Austin, the folks in Burnt Orange are once again putting the cart ahead of the horse, but Steve Sarkisian's Horns are 6-3 and could end up claiming a Big 12 title. They could also finish with five regular-season losses, but the reality is Texas won a top-15 road game on the same day the Ags were losing at home by three scores to an unranked Florida team and are set to host College GameDay for the second time this season. It remains to be seen what the Longhorns achieve this season, but the arrow is certainly pointing up. Texas has momentum when A&M clearly does not, and that's never a good thing.

Of course, the reason GameDay is returning has to do with the fact that the Horns are squaring off against undefeated No. 4 TCU. In year one under Sonny Dykes, the Horned Frogs have caught fire and are positioned to crash the four-team playoff field. In year one.

Another “year one” accomplishment of note occurred in South Bend on Saturday night when Marcus Freeman's Fighting Irish knocked off previously unbeaten Clemson. Why is Notre Dame relevant to this discussion, you ask? Because on the same day the Aggies were shocked at home by an overwhelming Sun Belt underdog, so were the Irish, who somehow managed to right the ship enough to take down the then-fourth-ranked Tigers in front of Touchdown Jesus.

What Kelly, Dykes and Freeman are doing in year one and even what Josh Heupel is doing in Knoxville in year two (not to mention the fact that the Ags have fallen in recent weeks to first-year Florida boss Billy Napier and second-year head man Shane Beamer at South Carolina) makes what's transpired in College Station this fall exponentially more frustrating.

However, more important than that is the fact that some of the aforementioned programs will build on their current momentum and become very real players in the conference and region in the immediate future. If, say, for example, the Vols, Horns and Bayou Bengals soar, programs like A&M and Oklahoma had better figure things out in a hurry.

0173769-mmay-240x135.jpg

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

On Monday, Fisher said that Conner Weigman will be the Aggies’ starter on Saturday at Auburn.
As far as Fisher and the Aggies go, any hope for something to be excited about between now and the season's end probably rests with Weigman and the defense getting some key players back. As stated previously, this team hasn't been good all season, but recent attrition has made it virtually impossible to show the hoped-for steady improvement. What Jimbo cannot do is assume that Weigman emerging as the future at quarterback and the team simply getting healthy and more experienced is enough.

The reality is that the Ags have no momentum on the field and even less on the recruiting front.

Five-star linebacker Anthony Hill‍ — probably the single-most important player in the 2023 cycle for the Ags — decommitted on Monday after spending the entire weekend in College Station and will likely land in Austin (this coming after the Aggies lost five-star linebacker and potential SEC Freshman of the Year Harold Perkins in '22), and there are rumblings that A&M's other five-star commit is set to open things up, as well.
Wins over Auburn and UMass aren't moving the needle, and even a home win over LSU to end the regular season would merely qualify as bittersweet.

What matters far more at this point in the season is Fisher deciding he's seen enough and embracing change. Texas A&M and the fifth-year head coach are locked into a long-term marriage due to an unprecedented contract. Rather than rail against Jimbo, the powers-that-be are letting him know they're willing to do whatever it takes to get things back on track and then some. I'm fully expecting Fisher to welcome the opportunity to free himself up to do more in terms of presiding over the program day-to-day (and especially on gamedays) and making a significant hire on offense. That's not the only change we'll see over the next few weeks, but it would certainly be the biggest and, in my opinion, the most impactful. A hunting man himself, Jimbo is also aware of the fact that poachers from around the country have his talented young players in their sights. As such, keeping the 2022 class together might be more important than anything the Aggies do on the recruiting front. That's especially true with the transfer portal available. A mass exodus would make it very difficult to envision Fisher and the Ags quickly digging out of their current hole.

Then again, if Jimbo makes the right moves between now and, let's just call it, Jan, 1, the talent on hand is more than good enough for an immediate reversal of fortune. Snag the right OC and keep Weigman, and the Aggies could enter next season positioned better than at any point during the current head coach's tenure.

Fisher was able to get out of Tallahassee before the walls came crumbling down at Florida State, but he's in it for the long haul this time around. Thing is, there's a lifeline waiting if he chooses to take hold. What Jimbo decides to do over the next six weeks or so is going to ultimately define not only his tenure in Aggieland but also the short-term future of A&M football.

From where I sit — and based on what I see happening all around the Aggies in the state and conference — the upcoming stretch represents Jimbo's last best chance to get it right.

Billy uses the phrase "the reality is"  FIVE TIMES.  That's right. the man who told us that Jimbo Fisher was a bargain at 90 million guaranteed dollars is now telling us what reality is.  

The reality is - they fooked

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

And check out the amazing and fantastic social media account "Traces of Technology."  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Lots of words.  Read some.  Don’t think he said the most important ones, though.  The fact is, Jimbo utterly bungled the quarterback position.

Entering the season, the feeling in this corner was that the Aggies were over-ranked at No. 6. 

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Rather than rail against Jimbo, the powers-that-be are letting him know they're willing to do whatever it takes to get things back on track and then some. I'm fully expecting Fisher to welcome the opportunity to free himself up to do more in terms of presiding over the program day-to-day (and especially on gamedays) and making a significant hire on offense. 

ricky gervais laughing GIF

Then again, if Jimbo makes the right moves between now and, let's just call it, Jan, 1, the talent on hand is more than good enough for an immediate reversal of fortune. Snag the right OC and keep Weigman, and the Aggies could enter next season positioned better than at any point during the current head coach's tenure.

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

• Haha 4

I think it’s true that hiring a really good OC has to be the plan for right now.  I think keeping their good young players out of the portal and keeping their current recruiting class together are a tall order.  There is a growing stink about their program and loss of confidence in Jimbo amongst recruits. 

Edited by Lhorn

11 hours ago, blutow said:

I keep hearing this and it certainly makes it a challenge, but the $85 million is already committed.  It's a sunk cost that is budgeted, it's just a matter of timing on the payout.  "only" 25% has to be paid upon firing and then annual installments for the balance (at least that's what I've read).  Sure, it's tough to pay 25% up front, but they would have a way to raise the funds for the buyout and pay that portion back (plus interest) over time.   The decision is really whether they are willing to pay 2 coaches for the next 9 years.  Assuming they found a new coach at around $5m/yr, the incremental cost of firing Jimbo and bringing in someone new would be around $6m (I'm assuming around $1m year for interest on the payout).  It's an risky bet either way.  If you don't fire him soon, it might result in years of decline costing the program a lot more than the $6m/yr incremental to bring in someone new.  But if the new guy doesn't work out (50/50 at best), you'll be paying 3 coaches when you need to bring in the next savior.    

The Jimbo contract (as I understand it) is really next level stupid on A&M's part.  The 10 year guarantee is nuts to begin with, but having to pay such a big chunk the day they fire him with no offset if he takes another job is just mind bending stupidity.  He can make significantly more $ over the next 9 years by getting fired now and sitting on the beach than he would if he stayed (because he can invest the buyout $).  If he gets another job, he get's that $ as well.  He's leaving millions on the table by not getting fired as soon as possible.  Based on his last couple press conferences, I can't believe he's trying to keep his job at this point.         

Is it though?  I don't think they've paid all of it.  I'd find a loophole.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Hide contents

By Billy Liucci
November 7, 2022

0174975-iyxg-240x135.jpg

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

0175119-tjje-240x135.jpg

Take a look around.

0173769-mmay-240x135.jpg

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

This whole diatribe sounds like an old skit from Hee Haw. "That's good! No, that's bad". "We're really good because of the players but this team is really bad because of ....... We're good because of ??? but we're really bad because...." He says this a half dozen times.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

image.png.74221f97a1a05dfc17c5f5e21f7a103d.png

some of them get it....

I forget, what was the narrative they used to explain away the fact that FSU was underperforming and that they weren’t trying very hard to keep the coach that A&M felt the need to money whip?  Injuries?

23 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I forget, what was the narrative they used to explain away the fact that FSU was underperforming and that they weren’t trying very hard to keep the coach that A&M felt the need to money whip?  Injuries?

And they kept yelling about “Sitting National Championship-winning Head Coach,” ya stupid sip! We certainly pointed and laughed about how Florida State had collapsed on his watch. 

Edited by Tex Pete

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Lots of words.  Read some.  Don’t think he said the most important ones, though.  The fact is, Jimbo utterly bungled the quarterback position.

Didn't read past "showed real fight fighting back vs South Carolina..."  🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Is it though?  I don't think they've paid all of it.  I'd find a loophole.

I'm sure they are looking hard for reasons to fire for cause (or other loophole), but that approach would likely keep the dumpster fire smoldering for a long time.  I'd bet both sides are ready to part ways and active discussions are underway to figure out exit terms.  A&M is probably threatening to fire for cause (maybe with the concussion thing if it's real), but that path would get really ugly and public.  The promise of a clean exit (with no "cause") might be enough for Jimbo to concede a portion of the buyout to just be done with it.  I suspect Jimbo has been in quiet quitting mode for a while, enjoying his african safaris and time on his ranch.  He was probably happy to keep coaching/coasting as long as it was going OK, but that $85m has to be looking really good compared to the shit storm he's in right now.    

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I still think the best stat is that their MNC over Tulane is closer to Abraham Lincoln's House Divided speech on June 16, 1858 before the sport was even invented than the MNC is to today.

As a fast follow to this....

Today marks 30,262 days since aggy won that sweet MNC on 1/1/1940

If you were to go 30,262 days prior to 1/1/1940 you wind up on 2/23/1857

Things that have happened since February 23rd, 1857.....

France and the United Kingdom formally declare war on China, in the Second Opium War.

James Buchanan is sworn in as the 15th President of the United States

Dred Scott v. Sandford: The Supreme Court of the United States rules that blacks are not citizens and slaves can not sue for freedom

Elisha Otis' first elevator is installed (at 488 Broadway, New York City).

The phonautograph is patented by French typesetter Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville. It is the earliest known device for recording sound.

The Matrimonial Causes Act makes divorce without parliamentary approval legal in the United Kingdom

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, blutow said:

I'm sure they are looking hard for reasons to fire for cause (or other loophole), but that approach would likely keep the dumpster fire smoldering for a long time.  I'd bet both sides are ready to part ways and active discussions are underway to figure out exit terms.  A&M is probably threatening to fire for cause (maybe with the concussion thing if it's real), but that path would get really ugly and public.  The promise of a clean exit (with no "cause") might be enough for Jimbo to concede a portion of the buyout to just be done with it.  I suspect Jimbo has been in quiet quitting mode for a while, enjoying his african safaris and time on his ranch.  He was probably happy to keep coaching/coasting as long as it was going OK, but that $85m has to be looking really good compared to the shit storm he's in right now.    

Yeah, I'm been on here saying no way they could try to fire for cause because of the mess it would entail and likely burning the house down, Jimbo setting fire on the way out etc, but now I think it's definitely on the table and school getting a little leverage if possibly getting him to accept like $60M today to get out or something.  Everytime time I think they have hit bottom they fall further, but were getting to best case decade level rebuild level now... how much further could a pissing match lower things.

10 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

As a fast follow to this....

Today marks 30,262 days since aggy won that sweet MNC on 1/1/1940

If you were to go 30,262 days prior to 1/1/1940 you wind up on 2/23/1857

Things that have happened since February 23rd, 1857.....

France and the United Kingdom formally declare war on China, in the Second Opium War.

James Buchanan is sworn in as the 15th President of the United States

Dred Scott v. Sandford: The Supreme Court of the United States rules that blacks are not citizens and slaves can not sue for freedom

Elisha Otis' first elevator is installed (at 488 Broadway, New York City).

The phonautograph is patented by French typesetter Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville. It is the earliest known device for recording sound.

The Matrimonial Causes Act makes divorce without parliamentary approval legal in the United Kingdom

Their single (disputed) title is closer to pre-Civil War than it is to today.

4 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't disagree that Nebraska and Miami are fucked, but they feel different.

Unlike those programs, aggy hasn't slowly faded from national relevance (mostly because they never had any).

The difference to me is that this is a program who loudly and publicly declared they were going to buy their way to championships both through recruiting and coaching hires.  As annoying as it was to watch, I had to admit they were following the Georgia model and we've seen where that leads.  I don't think Jimbo is a great coach, but fucking Mack Brown and Greg Davis won it all with the right recruits.

The fact that in the middle of this buy their way to victory campaign the entire thing has very suddenly collapsed is almost hard to explain.  Only aggy could put so much on the line and lose it all so quickly with no path to recovery.  They're a blackjack player who screamed for everyone to come watch them place a huge bet, only to lose it in all 15 seconds.

Got dealt a 20, and split the 10's.

• Haha 1