Reacher

Scary Stranger

I always enjoyed the Reacher novels but let's face it- it's harlequin romances for men.  Simple, formulaic escapist plot but for men.

A total badass, free as the wind with no mortgage or obligations, rolls into town, kicks the shit out of anyone that tries to stop him and always bangs one chick (and only one) per book, because they just can't keep their hands off him.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I always enjoyed the Reacher novels but let's face it- it's harlequin romances for men.  Simple, formulaic escapist plot but for men.

A total badass, free as the wind with no mortgage or obligations, rolls into town, kicks the shit out of anyone that tries to stop him and always bangs one chick (and only one) per book, because they just can't keep their hands off him.  

It is the life. 

But sadly Lee Child did by bringing in his talent-less hack of a brother.

True. The last several have definitely been a step down. All of the stories are practically the same concept but there has been a definite change with Andrew Child writing them.

On 1/7/2024 at 3:38 PM, Not a cat said:

Absolutely true, and I'll openly own the guilty pleasure of these well written books. They're a fun read, intriguing and you know ultimately what going to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i liked the part where herc was driving with the kid, full speed through new york (?) for about 15 minutes without seeing another car or person or light on or anything.  my wife was like "just drive to a police station" and i had nothing to counter that.

yeah, we're a couple episodes behind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i liked the part where herc was driving with the kid, full speed through new york (?) for about 15 minutes without seeing another car or person or light on or anything.  my wife was like "just drive to a police station" and i had nothing to counter that.

yeah, we're a couple episodes behind.

She's not wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

are you saying the strategy of driving to an abandoned dead-end street under an overpass was a mistake?

I'm not a LEO/former MP and last I checked I don't have corporate kill goons chasing me, but if I did, I don't think I'd decide to drive into a desolate dead end street under and overpass. But what do your wife and I know about it?!?

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, miguelito said:

Should be a good finale.  Someone is going to get electrocuted on the fence, and Reacher will throw that guy out of a helicopter.  And then he bangs the brunette.

He's already done that 2x.  But, again would be good.

Sad that Roscoe got a mention, but no screen time.

4 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

I forgot he was in that. Yeah he wasn’t good but again it was Fast X… who was?
His Instagram is a decent follow. Apparently Season 3 is already on the slate, not sure what it’s based on.

Let's also be honest: he's awful in Reacher too. But the role doesn't exactly require much range. Like to eat food, stare at bad guys, give the occasion Sherlock Holmes' deduction.

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Let's also be honest: he's awful in Reacher too. But the role doesn't exactly require much range. Like to eat food, stare at bad guys, give the occasion Sherlock Holmes' deduction.

Yea. He’s what he’s supposed to be. I’m not quitting the show because of him. I’m quitting because of the show

On 1/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, miguelito said:

Should be a good finale.  Someone is going to get electrocuted on the fence, and Reacher will throw that guy out of a helicopter.  And then he bangs the brunette.

I was way off. The electric fence never really came into play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, WithoutAClue said:

watched the season 2 finale. I liked it.

Seriously? It's a pretty bad series, start to finish, so the bar was set very low and yet, somehow, the finale gave the impression it was written by 12-year-olds ... or Steven Seagal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Seriously? It's a pretty bad series, start to finish, so the bar was set very low and yet, somehow, the finale gave the impression it was written by 12-year-olds ... or Steven Seagal.

Wait a minute. Aren't we all 12-year-olds here?!?!!? Thats why Surly likes it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Btw season 1 we got a glimpse of Neaghleys rack. Impressive. 

Im Back Fran Healy GIF by Travis

They do their damndest to "plain" her out, but she's actually quite the scene stealer.

CfeiHvPp_o.jpgeAvl39ZA_o.jpg

I assume she's been speaking American English her whole life because she doesn't have much of an accent, if any. Or she's as gifted in language as she is in looks.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Yeah season 2 was pretty bad after one.  The whole team thing didn’t work well and the bad guy was really stupid throughout.  Reacher looks like he’s about to cry half the time.  I’ll watch season 3 but not expecting much.

• Hook 'Em 1

episode 7 recap - hey so the bad guys have been trying to capture/kill the special investigators all season and have been unable to.  but now they've captured two of them, but we're just going to tell you that it happened, and even though we love action scenes, we're not going to show you, lolol.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

episode 8 recap - reacher is handcuffed but still beats up 5 armed guys.  then the bad guy is like, ok, sit down, i'm gonna beat on you for a bit.  so instead of taking him on, he sits down and lets him beat on him a bit. 

i also appreciated the senator calling, but reacher answering yet another phone call where the other side of the line simply says, "is it done?"  most of reacher's phone communication starts this way.  i'm gonna start asking "is it done?" when i'm just calling normal people, just to amp up the intrigue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

wasn't this one of Amazon's best performing shows? whoever said upthread that it's a superhero show is correct. it devolved into the kind of bad everything where you just give up and try to enjoy it for the ridiculousness that it is

I miss the days of when "low brow" stuff was Banshee, Spartacus and Black Sails.

• Hook 'Em 1

episode 8 recap - reacher is handcuffed but still beats up 5 armed guys.  then the bad guy is like, ok, sit down, i'm gonna beat on you for a bit.  so instead of taking him on, he sits down and lets him beat on him a bit. 
i also appreciated the senator calling, but reacher answering yet another phone call where the other side of the line simply says, "is it done?"  most of reacher's phone communication starts this way.  i'm gonna start asking "is it done?" when i'm just calling normal people, just to amp up the intrigue. 

My buddy who has read all the books says Reacher never loses a fight in 20+ books. Just so you know what you’re in for if this thing gets a long run.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Also fun fact: dead body parts (eyes, fingers) don’t work on biometric readers. At least not the industrial ones I’ve worked with.

All of us are concerned that you know this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1