Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

On 1/25/2024 at 7:38 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hopefully Baker can keep Brown committed and land one (or both) of Zion Williams amd DJ Sanders.  This class is going to need at least three DT's, maybe four.

Yeah, we have a few guys on the roster that just aren't going to grow into the position or have shrunk (Ross, Swanson, Bledsoe).

Bo could coach, but this has to be the weakest position as far as recruiting.

Edited by JBJ
just keep pressing submit and it will work

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Yeah, we have a few guys on the roster that just aren't going to grow into the position or have shrunk (Ross, Swanson, Bledsoe).

Bo could coach, but this has to be the weakest position as far as recruiting.

Bledsoe is 290 - he's plenty big enough for the position.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Didn't listen to it, won't listen to it. But want it to be here so we can laugh and bump it throughout the cycle.

FFS. 3 top 5 classes in a row and a top portal class, yet we have a recruiting problem. What a fucking knob. 

... and no... I didn't listen to it. 

Edited by Vertigo

9 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Listened to about 2 mins. Apparently we're not signing enough of the top-25 in-state players. 

His obsession with that is stupid, especially when you consider his other obsession is "super blue chips" or whatever term he made up for high 4-stars/5 stars that only represent around the top 15 players in the state. 

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What is that fat idiot saying?

Ketch said he is annoyed with UT fans. He makes it clear Sark can recruit so "don't come at him". HOWEVER - we missed on a lot of in state highly ranked recruits. Said we can do better in state. Said if we hit on just 3 more in state we would have had a #1 class. He walked it back a bit and said Sark recruited great, but can be "greater". Said we are not leading or have already missed on Texas top recruits for 2025

It takes him and that dude Chad 5-10 minutes to make one point, I ran out of patience, so that's all I can offer.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Rickey Stewart's junior film is about nine minutes of him running for 60+ yard TDs. He certainly looks like a take to me.

You’re right. I have no idea how he is in traffic because there’s never a defender within 10 yards of him getting the ball. Chapel Hill plays at a really high level, right? The competition seems lacking (one DB looks like a little person). It’s also evident he’s left handed, or weirdly prefers to carry the ball in his left hand, because he usually does, even when running right. Interesting player. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/14958311/64deebfcbd75820a0c998e36

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Listened to about 2 mins. Apparently we're not signing enough of the top-25 in-state players. 

We didn't sign enough top 25 players in a down year in state, and instead signed a bunch of nationally ranked high 4 and 5 stars? Man.. whatever are we going to do?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

yeah i skimmed through some of it..  the part that made me exit out of it was him bringing up how in Alabama, the top 10 players in '24 in state went to either Bama or Auburn.. something Sark NEEDS to do at UT..

I like how the class ended up outside DT recruiting.. which I now see some of Bo Davis flaws.. none of his high school players he selected have contributed.. and not sure how good Swanson, Bryant and Bledsoe (who was playing DE IIRC) are.

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

yeah i skimmed through some of it..  the part that made me exit out of it was him bringing up how in Alabama, the top 10 players in '24 in state went to either Bama or Auburn.. something Sark NEEDS to do at UT..

Such stupid logic.

Talent is talent. Who cares where they played their high school ball at. Brandon Baker and Ryan Wingo are better than every player ranked lower than like 8th in Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

how someone can cover sports and recruiting for this long and not "get it" is comical at this point.

let's talk depth of players in each state, since that's drastically different there.

Alabama 2024 composite:

• 4 in the top 25
  • 6 in the top 50
  • 8 in the top 100
  • 12 in the top 200
  • 16 in the top 250

Texas 2024 composite:

• 6 in the top 25
  • 10 in the top 50
  • 17 in the top 100
  • 32 in the top 200
  • 42 in the top 250

but sure, let's compare Texas to Alabama - what a terrible comparison.

a quick look at prior years for the state of Alabama and who went where:

• 2023: 5/10 went to non Alabama/Auburn schools
  • 2022: 3/10
  • 2021: 5/10 (including 1 to Northwestern lol)
  • *2020: 2/10
  • 2019: 5/10

here is the State of Texas over the same timeframe:

• 2024: 6/10 went to non Texas/A&M programs (this even gives A&M Bussey which is doubtful)
  • 2023: 5/10
  • 2022: 2/10
  • 2021: 7/10
  • *2020: 4/10
  • 2019: 4/10

as usual, Geoff Ketchum makes a point that is both ill informed and poorly made.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Such stupid logic.

Talent is talent. Who cares where they played their high school ball at. Brandon Baker and Ryan Wingo are better than every player ranked lower than like 8th in Texas.

yeah. Texas went after Gibson very early and was on him the whole cycle instead of focusing on guys like Kedren Young (ND), Caden Durham (LSU) or James Peoples (tOSU)

it's dumb. you should identify and recruit top talent wherever they are from, not exclusively in Texas. this isn't 2003 with Mack Brown.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah. Texas went after Gibson very early and was on him the whole cycle instead of focusing on guys like Kedren Young (ND), Caden Durham (LSU) or James Peoples (tOSU)

it's dumb. you should identify and recruit top talent wherever they are from, not exclusively in Texas. this isn't 2003 with Mack Brown.

It's also stupid to compare a state like Alabama to Texas, because the 10th-ranked player in Alabama probably doesn't come close to the 10th-ranked player in Texas talent-wise most cycles.

More national schools will be sniffing around Texas' 10th-best player than Alabama's 10th-best.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

ketch probably thinks we should have taken Reuben Owens over CJ Baxter too lol... what a joke

2 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Ketch said he is annoyed with UT fans. He makes it clear Sark can recruit so "don't come at him". HOWEVER - we missed on a lot of in state highly ranked recruits. Said we can do better in state. Said if we hit on just 3 more in state we would have had a #1 class. He walked it back a bit and said Sark recruited great, but can be "greater". Said we are not leading or have already missed on Texas top recruits for 2025

It takes him and that dude Chad 5-10 minutes to make one point, I ran out of patience, so that's all I can offer.

If OB is all about being longwinded, insipid and wrong, I think Ian Boyd needs to enter the transfer portal.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Such stupid logic.

I agree with you but it's the dumbass narrative we lived through with Charlie Strong where people freaked out he wasn't recruiting enough Texas High School Football Players which made the Texas High School Football Coaches mad. Somehow this wasn't an issue for anyone else at any other school.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Didn't listen to it, won't listen to it. But want it to be here so we can laugh and bump it throughout the cycle.

Thanks for posting. I've really appreciated the subsequent 30 posts discussing it

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

We’re talking Gibson not Dustin miksch here

I think what happened with Ketch was he was contemplating how to write a hit piece but didn't have the logic in place... 

Then he reached fo the ketchup, got grease on his arm from the burger, recoiled from the grease, hitting the corner of his big gulp, which began to wobble, and with those two paws resembling a beef patty surrounded by little smokies, reached forward and steadied the wobbling cup!

... and one of those little smokies accidentally hit post on his keyboard.

• Haha 1