Charles Maund (of Charles Maund Toyota) indicted in murder-for-hire plot

shadow_operative

I assume he paid them in cash.  Even somebody of his level of wealth is gonna raise some serious red flags at the bank by requesting that much cash out at once.  Even if he spaced it out, $150k per month over 5 months or whatever...that's still gonna raise red flags.  Assuming he keeps 5% in cash/cash equivalents, he likely had to sell off some investments to liquidate that kinda cash (with capital gains tax).  So he may have moved around over $1.0m in a very short period of time.  I get that he's rich, but that's a big chunk to move for somebody who's not a billionaire and doesn't have access to very discrete private banking/offshore banking.

Being so methodical for such a period of time isn't gonna play well with a jury.  There's heat of the moment killing of an ex-lover, then there's talking to your broker every week about how you can use a carry-forward from last year's portfolio to offset gains that you suddenly need for an all-cash investment opportunity in Venezuela.  

His only card to play is selling out the guys that did this.  If they've killed for $750k, they've obviously been doing this awhile, this is not a low-level Mafia or Gang hitman doing it for $25k and a ride to the airport.  Feds may want to know who these guys are.  Not just the murders, the unreported income which is at least in the 7-figures.  He'll still do some time, and I'm guessing these guys---if they cornered---can have somebody get to Maund in prison and make him go night-night. 

Edited by Lobo

IDK exactly what role the alleged Maund had at the dealerships, but there are usually significant "dealer reserves" related to their floor plan financing.  In essence, these accounts are funds owned by the dealer/dealership and serve as collateral for the floor plan. The floor plan lender pays the dealer/dealership pretty good interest rates for the use of their money, thereby reducing the overall interest rate on the floor plan. 

There are very large numbers involved in high-volume new car dealerships like these.  So if you want to withdraw six figure numbers from your dealer reserve a couple of times over a couple of months -- no big deal, no questions asked.  It simply impacts the net interest rate being charged on your floor plan.  All that said, I have no doubt that the floor-plans have had their auditors on site to look at VINs to make sure that the accounts are still in trust and properly collateralized.

Again, IDK if this is how he got access to that much cash, but it seems like a logical hypothesis based upon my experience with new car dealerships and their floor plan financing arrangements.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

IDK exactly what role the alleged Maund had at the dealerships, but there are usually significant "dealer reserves" related to their floor plan financing.  In essence, these accounts are funds owned by the dealer/dealership and serve as collateral for the floor plan. The floor plan lender pays the dealer/dealership pretty good interest rates for the use of their money, thereby reducing the overall interest rate on the floor plan. 

There are very large numbers involved in high-volume new car dealerships like these.  So if you want to withdraw six figure numbers from your dealer reserve a couple of times over a couple of months -- no big deal, no questions asked.  It simply impacts the net interest rate being charged on your floor plan.  All that said, I have no doubt that the floor-plans have had their auditors on site to look at VINs to make sure that the accounts are still in trust and properly collateralized.

Again, IDK if this is how he got access to that much cash, but it seems like a logical hypothesis based upon my experience with new car dealerships and their floor plan financing arrangements.  

Tell me you are a car salesman without telling me you are a car salesman.  Nttatwwt

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You really do have a thing for people getting things done to them in prison.

Not me.  The guys be crossed will have him killed.  He’s the one that opened his mouth.  I just reported on it.  

All I ever wanted was for the two guys that murdered Aubrey and the 1/6 Insurrectionists to get violently beat up in prison.  Why is that so wrong?  Otherwise, I'm against prison violence like everybody else.  

But seriously, the kind of people that charge nearly a million dollars for a hit...they can get to Maund in prison.  And his only bargaining chip is selling these guys out to the Feds.  When truly bad people are truly cornered, and have absolutely no shred of hope, when they know their choices have finally boxed them in for eternity, when the last drop of humanity evaporates from their soul...it's really quite breathtaking.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Always thought that would be a fascinating job. 

I have fun, earn a decent living, and have seen lots of shit over the years. 

It is remarkable how true the fraud triangle generally plays out.  Motivation, Opportunity, and Rationalization are the key elements to fraud.  

Companies need to work on their internal controls to minimize the Opportunity part of that equation.  Hard to control the rest.

• Hook 'Em 2

If someone is extorting you over an affair, it would seem to be a fairly easy to deal with it without involving a hit man. 

"My wife and I have an arrangement as long as I'm discrete. If you or anyone bring this to her attention, then I'm going straight to the FBI. You get 15 years, and I have to buy my wife some jewelry. Don't think of calling me again."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If someone is extorting you over an affair, it would seem to be a fairly easy to deal with it without involving a hit man. 

"My wife and I have an arrangement as long as I'm discrete. If you or anyone bring this to her attention, then I'm going straight to the FBI. You get 15 years, and I have to buy my wife some jewelry. Don't think of calling me again."

My guess is Maund's judgement was clouded by some of the accoutrements of the decimillionaire  playboy lifestyle. 

scarface.jpg

On 12/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, CooterBrown said:

Everyone I know pays in Bitcoin.

I bet this idiot paid with a check or on Venmo with "death to my haterz" as the note.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That’s actually really clever.

From people I know who knew him this Maund guy was a pretty dim bulb though so no way he would think of that. They are also genuinely shocked he would do what he did.

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sometimes a psychopath can see a psychopath from afar.  He sounds like a fucking idiot, but maybe over time of the affair, he realized telling her "I'll go to the FBI" would be a meaningless threat.  She'd either choose to ignore that fact that she's technically involved in extortion and think that telling the Feds "We're in love dammit!" is a valid excuse for blackmail, or she'd get off on it and dare him to do it as some sort of thrill/rush.  I'm guessing she threw off some vibes that screamed, "This is never, ever over unless it's a murder/suicide pact with some light S&M beforehand."  And he felt like this was the next best option.  

Now, if she was half-smart---She left behind a dead-man's switch whereby in the event of her demise, some other secretive shit about him but looks like it's all out in the open anyway.  But there's a lot of untaxed money out there that isn't gonna sit well with the Feds.  The going rates are much higher than we thought, that's a lot of black market cash this group must be sitting on plus who knows what else.  Maund---if I were you...I would totally tell the FBI everything and anything you learned about these guys in your dealings with them.  It will totally get you some leniency from the Feds.  You can get out in 10-15 years if you play ball.  You can still put some assets in a trust and have a decent last chapter to your life after prison.  You should totally cooperate.  ;) 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:45 AM, fluff said:

I would like to emphasize the NO of the first part of this question.  She did have Pat Green play at her 18th birthday party which was fun.

Haha, I was there too.  Pat screwed up the words when he covered REK's Front Porch Song and I gave him a look and he just looked at me like, "ah fuck it".

I assume he paid them in cash.  Even somebody of his level of wealth is gonna raise some serious red flags at the bank by requesting that much cash out at once.  Even if he spaced it out, $150k per month over 5 months or whatever...that's still gonna raise red flags.  Assuming he keeps 5% in cash/cash equivalents, he likely had to sell off some investments to liquidate that kinda cash (with capital gains tax).  So he may have moved around over $1.0m in a very short period of time.  I get that he's rich, but that's a big chunk to move for somebody who's not a billionaire and doesn't have access to very discrete private banking/offshore banking.
Being so methodical for such a period of time isn't gonna play well with a jury.  There's heat of the moment killing of an ex-lover, then there's talking to your broker every week about how you can use a carry-forward from last year's portfolio to offset gains that you suddenly need for an all-cash investment opportunity in Venezuela.  
His only card to play is selling out the guys that did this.  If they've killed for $750k, they've obviously been doing this awhile, this is not a low-level Mafia or Gang hitman doing it for $25k and a ride to the airport.  Feds may want to know who these guys are.  Not just the murders, the unreported income which is at least in the 7-figures.  He'll still do some time, and I'm guessing these guys---if they cornered---can have somebody get to Maund in prison and make him go night-night. 
"The guys who did this" have already been arrested.

I was thinking tacitly referring to their handler.  He is alive, well, rich, and safe.  

At that price, you very rarely pay the operator directly.  If Maund can give up the handler (the labor won’t)…that could be his hole card.  Then again, who knows…these days you got your damn unions.  Time was, a man did this himself.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Paco said:
On 12/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, Lobo said:

"The guys who did this" have already been arrested.

I bet they have "associates".

On 12/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, Lobo said:

Seems like the simplest way to do it would be gold or diamonds instead of cash, right?  That’s legitimate investment type stuff and I’d imagine they could take payment that way, right? 
or of course- bitcoin. I’d imagine you could buy any of the above with cash and not raise any red flags and then pay anonymously. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seems like the simplest way to do it would be gold or diamonds instead of cash, right?  That’s legitimate investment type stuff and I’d imagine they could take payment that way, right? 
or of course- bitcoin. I’d imagine you could buy any of the above with cash and not raise any red flags and then pay anonymously. 

Im Watching You Eye On You GIF - Im Watching You Eye On You Watching -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

On 12/15/2021 at 7:33 AM, Lobo said:

There's an "international security" firm here in Austin, well funded.  Primarily former officers-mainly Navy and Army, couple NCO's.  Only takes until about the 3rd or 4th date , they'll make it known they can do wet-work for low-visibility "targets."  

Growing up, I loved watching assassin movies.  Then I got older and realized, "There can't be a bunch of these guys roaming the globe killing well known targets because we'd hear about all these strange deaths of known politicians, billionaires, celebrities, et. al.  Their work might be anonymous but the deaths/disappearances can't be.  Every time an upper-middle class, remotely attractive person goes missing or dies...it's on cable news for 3 weeks." 

What I really didn't realize is there's not work like that.  There is absolutely a market, though, for potential targets way, way down the pecking order.  There is a big cottage industry of firms that hide in plain sight that will kill an ex-lover, a shitty business partner, someone shaking you down for blackmail money, a relative whom you stand to inherit money from, et. al.  

One of them is even raising a Series B round right now. 

I've been processing this since Wednesday and I still don't know how to reply. 

Don't ever spend more 30 seconds, laughing or processing any of my posts.  I got careless since I was still half-asleep when I posted this.  There is absolutely, undeniably a security firm here in Austin that hides itself in plain sight.  But  the one thing I said that was valid, there's no roving gang of political assassins.  But there are very proper looking organizations that will organize your O&G executive trip to Mexico, and then behind that...they'll kill your ex-wife for a handsome sum if you need it in addition to your usual logistics support.

Not shocking news that things like this exist.  I just didn't realize there was a rather robust one right here in Austin...in a building half of us Austin surly posters drive by on a given day.  The older I get, the more I realize there is a whole other world behind the one we see everyday.  I thought I put on a facade for the world everyday, but I had no idea the personality show others are putting on all around us.  It's fucking fascinating.  I think Maund wanted to be one of those guys but he just wasn't wired for it.  

Edited by Lobo

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Don't ever spend more 30 seconds, laughing or processing any of my posts.  I got careless since I was still half-asleep when I posted this.  There is absolutely, undeniably a security firm here in Austin that hides itself in plain sight.  But  the one thing I said that was valid, there's no roving gang of political assassins.  But there are very proper looking organizations that will organize your O&G executive trip to Mexico, and then behind that...they'll kill your ex-wife for a handsome sum if you need it in addition to your usual logistics support.

A lot of those guys prefer to work alone. Back in the late 90s there was an attempt to unionize, but things didn't really work out. It got a little messy near Detroit that year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not shocking news that things like this exist.  I just didn't realize there was a rather robust one right here in Austin...in a building half of us Austin surly posters drive by on a given day.  The older I get, the more I realize there is a whole other world behind the one we see everyday.  I thought I put on a facade for the world everyday, but I had no idea the personality show others are putting on all around us.  It's fucking fascinating.  I think Maund wanted to be one of those guys but he just wasn't wired for it.  

The Arkancide Associates and their franchises have been in bidness for decades.

Epstein out front shoulda told ya.

50 minutes ago, Bookman said:

A lot of those guys prefer to work alone. Back in the late 90s there was an attempt to unionize, but things didn't really work out. It got a little messy near Detroit that year.

Bummer about that high school reunion dance.  Coulda been a blast. 

So, this is probably how the Westlake guy disappeared in Port A isn’t it?

• 7 months later...