RIP Bowl Games Catchall Thread

GreenspointTexas

23 minutes ago, pops said:

Cotton bowl president on the ticket this morning said testing is completely up to the individual teams and their policies. No playoff game is getting canceled. 

Yep going to be great when a sick semi final team goes in and infects the other school setting them up for an outbreak leading up to the final. 

4 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Yep going to be great when a sick semi final team goes in and infects the other school setting them up for an outbreak leading up to the final. 

An outbreak we will never know about. It's like Marijuana testing at the ncaa level. Don't test, and no one uses it!   Magic! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

I'm giving the Las Vegas Bowl a 50/50 chance of actually happening.  Still going though.  Need flight numbers 99 and 100 to get my Southwest companion pass and, if it does get cancelled, at least I'll be in Vegas.

Sounds brutal. Just get the credit card.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think it's the actual game between the lines itself that's the concern.  It's all the other close-quarter time between players, staff, coaches, fans, et. al.  The packed-in travel as well.  The pre-bowl events with outsiders.  

I think another thing they need cover for is what if a sponsor gets wind of some quashing of a massive outbreak on a team and they don't like it and it starts a chain reaction.  Nobody gives a shit in FBS if Gasparilla backs out of a bowl game, but if it creates a domino effect and then VRBO backs out of the Citrus Bowl and then onto the CFP...that's a big fucking problem.  I'm not advocating that, I'm just pointing out that there's obviously some other financial concern going on here, something beside the obvious "player safety" angle. 

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

For what? NFL teams catching covid after playing a team with an outbreak? It happened to the Ravens and the Chiefs last year. 

Link to Covid being spread on the field by players playing against each other.  I don't think anyone sees that as a real concern.  Lile lobo said, its all the other stuff that's the concern.  Meetings, locker room, travel, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

This variant was known a few months ago. Coaches always say that a benefit of making a bowl is extra practice time. They should have allowed 5-7 teams to partake in the extra practice time in anticipation of needed some to step in for those who had to cancel. And yeah, I think it's less about players on the field, and more about the surrounding activities, including public appearances. It's also about spreading to others in practice, so those who can transmit can't practice, or have already infected others.

• Hook 'Em 1

After decades of trying to astro-turf bullshit traditions and trends around the country with nothing but being openly mocked to show for it.  The Aggies finally start a tradition that is emulated nationwide...and it fucking sucks.  

Perfectly on course for Texas A&M.  

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

You boys ever see a map?

Shit, nobody knows what that is any more.  Just speak your destination into the dash, floor the gas, and listen to the instructions.  Good luck to those who do not know left from right(and I have actually met one of those).

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

After decades of trying to astro-turf bullshit traditions and trends around the country with nothing but being openly mocked to show for it.  The Aggies finally start a tradition that is emulated nationwide...and it fucking sucks.  

Perfectly on course for Texas A&M.  

They also unnecessarily jacked up coaching salaries. 

Geography aside, one wonders if these bowls routinely carry cancellation insurance. Such policies are standard practice for many undertakings. That's something that I've never even thought about, as bowls were routinely never cancelled (at least that I can remember) before COVID. Anyway, such insurance for bowls does exist and I guess smart bowl sponsoring entities buy it. After last year's spate of cancellations though, I assume the premiums would choke a horse . . .

K&K.png