Why are NY Steaks suddenly cheap as hell

Rimbo

I got 2 massive bone-in NY steaks a couple weeks ago for $8/lb. Then I picked up 4 huge boneless NY steaks at $9/lb from Costco this weekend. Choice, not Prime, but still better than a kick in the ass. Oh, and here's the kicker: I live in San Diego. This isn't Amarillo, where you get God's own cow for a buck; this is chicken country (Foster Farms FTW).

What the hell is going on? Like, literally everything else is expensive as fuck, massive increase in price, but suddenly NY Steaks are cheap as hell.

Still yummy. burp

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

HEB routinely has NY boneless strips on sale for $5-6/lb. They are select grade but often will be more like choice with pretty good marbling. 

Yeah, but that's Texas. Y'all have a lotta cows there. Seeing that here in California? And all at once...

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Northern California, maybe. SoCal? Eww.

I grew up just a tad north of Chino CA, and that was dairy cow heaven.   Great weather, etc.   it was a great place to be a high school kid, because you and your buddies could fine a deserted street in dairyland, crank up KMET-FM on everybody's car stereos, and pound beers/fight/fuck in peace.  

The Real Estate got too expensive, and the cows all headed north around 1995 or so.  But yeah, SoCal was a Cowtown for a very long time.

cuz theyre charging you for the weight of the bone. 

wife bought these "100% lamb muscle" treats for the dog, that worked out to $50/lb.  like what the holy hell, i can buy some ribeye and dehydrate those motherfuckers for a fraction of the cost.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

I think it's, ". . . you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

But you do you.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Are strips a less popular cut? I know at my HEB butcher case, they seem to always be short on Ribeyes and Tenderloin, but have a full case of Strips. 

commonly they're seen 3rd fiddle to the ribeye and tenderloin, in that order

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

yea, exactly my thought. When I go to a steakhouse with a work group, the guys always order Ribeyes, the women get filets. (The ones that don't get the fish or a salad anyway)

When I get steaks at the store, I always go Prime Ribeye and a filet for Mrs Rojo. When my kids were younger they would split a strip, now the boy eats a ribeye by himself and my daughter asks for salmon or some shit. 

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

yea, exactly my thought. When I go to a steakhouse with a work group, the guys always order Ribeyes, the women get filets. (The ones that don't get the fish or a salad anyway)

That seems to be the general pattern.

I also prefer ribeye as fav cut, but buying preference goes like this:  marbling -> thickness -> price -> buy.  Basically its visual appeal first and the specific cut later.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, That Guy said:

Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

I think it's, ". . . you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

But you do you.

No.  It's gotta be your bull.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/14/2022 at 7:27 AM, TxTower said:

Apparently corporate greed doesn’t extend to NY strip steaks (boneless or bone-in). Must be one of those weird loophole’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what in the actual fuck

On 2/14/2022 at 11:38 AM, 52-80 said:

Yeah, but the prices I've seen around here for choice are just a buck a pound above decent ground beef. That's just getting silly. I'll eat nothing but NY strips at that price. Hell ... I'll grind it for my burgers at that price. And this is NOT the normal price range for them. They're usually in the teens per pound.

Given that the price on everything else seems to have gone up, it's just weird to see.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:35 PM, Rimbo said:

I got 2 massive bone-in NY steaks a couple weeks ago for $8/lb. Then I picked up 4 huge boneless NY steaks at $9/lb from Costco this weekend. Choice, not Prime, but still better than a kick in the ass. Oh, and here's the kicker: I live in San Diego. This isn't Amarillo, where you get God's own cow for a buck; this is chicken country (Foster Farms FTW).

What the hell is going on? Like, literally everything else is expensive as fuck, massive increase in price, but suddenly NY Steaks are cheap as hell.

Still yummy. burp

On 2/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, Hermanator said:

What the fuck is a NY steak? Like a Peter Luger or a Gallegher steak? Guarantee those aren't cheap

On 2/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, Rimbo said:

NY strip steak. And you call yourself a Texan...

speechless-no-comment.gif

I don't think any of this means what you think it means.

NY Strip with bone plus small amount of filet attached is a t-bone.
NY Strip with bone plus large amount of filet attached is a porterhouse.

Oddly enough.  I'd never heard the term NY Strip until I moved back to Texas.  We just called them shell steaks in NYC. 

Edited by midtown

23 minutes ago, midtown said:

NY Strip with bone plus small amount of filet attached is a t-bone.
NY Strip with bone plus large amount of filet attached is a porterhouse.

Oddly enough.  I'd never heard the term NY Strip until I moved back to Texas.  We just called them shell steaks in NYC. 

When I was a kid, we went to New York (probably around 1983 or so).  They definitely were called New York strip steaks by a number of restaurants back then, and I ate a bunch of them.

Edited by dcbc

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

When I was a kid, we went to New York (probably around 1983 or so).  They definitely were called New York strips back then, and I ate a bunch of them.

Well my friends were rich and we only ate at the best steak houses.  Maybe you were poor

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, midtown said:

Well my friends were rich and we only ate at the best steak houses.  Maybe you were poor

It's all relative, I suppose.  But without making a case for it, I'll just say I don't recall that being the case.  But my dad grew up poor.  So while we may have been less refined in a foodie sense (entirely possible), we didn't eat at dumps.  But I can't for the life of me remember where we ate on that trip.

So as a side note and a question for the older crowd, has the ribeye always been the darling of the steak eating crowd.  Growing up, we had a ranch we went to on the weekends and steak always was on the menu (beef processed from our cattle).  So I'm sure there were ribeyes here and there, but what I remember vividly is my dad grilling strips for all of us on the weekends.  That man could grill a good steak and he loved a good steak.  So my question is did the ribeye overtake the strip as the premier cut at some point or did my old man just have a preference that went against the popular notion?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So my question is did the ribeye overtake the strip as the premier cut at some point or did my old man just have a preference that went against the popular notion?

Against popular notion or not -- your Dad wasn't wrong.

I'm on team NY Strip.  I like the texture and flavor.  Ribeyes and filets are great for making steak tartare.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm on team NY Strip.  I like the texture and flavor.  Ribeyes and filets are great for making steak tartare.

Team NY Strip, for both of the reasons you state.

I love a good ribeye, too, though.

Filet is fine but definitely my least favorite of the 3.  

• Hook 'Em 1